I need to save templates in a different way. Anyone know a soluti

I am a lawyer building precedents for my law firm.  Here is the problem.

I have about 100 separate macro-enabled templates created in my documents
folder.  I have created a separate folder for shortcuts. There I put
shortcuts to each of the commonly used templates I have, and I have assigned
hotkeys to them (F1-F12, ctrl-alt A-Z).

Now here is the problem.  Because I cannot save over a template (when I edit
it for changes in the law) and instead have to save it with a different name,
I lose the connection to the hotkey, which is linked to that particular
document.  I do not want to have to continuously have to update my hotkeys
every time I change a template.

How can I fix this?

If you need to modify the template, use File>Open to open it, make the
changes, then save.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Alberta Lawyer" <Alberta Lawyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am a lawyer building precedents for my law firm.  Here is the problem.
>
> I have about 100 separate macro-enabled templates created in my documents
> folder.  I have created a separate folder for shortcuts. There I put
> shortcuts to each of the commonly used templates I have, and I have
> assigned
> hotkeys to them (F1-F12, ctrl-alt A-Z).
>
> Now here is the problem.  Because I cannot save over a template (when I
> edit
> it for changes in the law) and instead have to save it with a different
> name,
> I lose the connection to the hotkey, which is linked to that particular
> document.  I do not want to have to continuously have to update my hotkeys
> every time I change a template.
>
> How can I fix this?

0
Doug
1/31/2010 12:07:15 AM
How are you using these templates? Are you opening them then editing them
and saving with a different name? Or are you creating new documents from
them?
If the former, then change your work practice to the latter. If you need to
make changes to a *document* subsequently, you could save a separate version
of it, thus retaining the original. For that you could use the code at
http://www.gmayor.com/save_numbered_versions.htm as an example.

If you are using Word 2007, then I would be inclined to create a ribbon tab
with dropdown lists of each type of template which would be easier for staff
to learn than a raft of shortcuts. I have a sample template that features
such a ribbon if you want to use it as a start point (contact me via my web
site) - but it will mean a crash course in ribbon programming -
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm if you want to adapt it to
your use.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
..

"Alberta Lawyer" <Alberta Lawyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a lawyer building precedents for my law firm.  Here is the problem.
>
> I have about 100 separate macro-enabled templates created in my documents
> folder.  I have created a separate folder for shortcuts. There I put
> shortcuts to each of the commonly used templates I have, and I have
> assigned
> hotkeys to them (F1-F12, ctrl-alt A-Z).
>
> Now here is the problem.  Because I cannot save over a template (when I
> edit
> it for changes in the law) and instead have to save it with a different
> name,
> I lose the connection to the hotkey, which is linked to that particular
> document.  I do not want to have to continuously have to update my hotkeys
> every time I change a template.
>
> How can I fix this?

0
Graham

Really need advice!
In the Options Tab on Excel worksheet I clicked the general tab and where it said 'At start, open all files in' I inadvertently typed c:\documents and settings\alex park\desktop. This has caused a problem. When I now try to open up Excel it will not allow it. It says shortcut index.doc: file found is not valid. (shortcut index is a word document I have on the desktop with Excel shortcut keys in). Then I get dialogue boxes saying 'send error report' etc. etc. It appears that Excel is trying to open using 'shortcut index.doc' How can I sort out this problem. ...

Translating Dialog text
Hello, Firstly I am new to MFC so apologies for what is I am assuming a very basic question! Summary: I am writing an MFC application which contains one simple dialog and up to 6 message boxes. I need to provide the application in both English and German. The dialog contains a title and static text, both of which will need to be translated. The buttons on the dialog will also need to be translated. The 6 message boxes contain text to be translated, titles to be translated and the button names must also be transated. In total there will only be about 10 strings to be translated. My questions ...

Where do I find the Publisher 2003 template I downloaded from Ms?
I downloaded a coupleof templates from the Microsoft Office site, but where can I find them?! When you download from the template site, you have to save the templates. Look in your temporary folder, they maybe there. If you cannot find the templates at all, empty your temporary cache and try the download again. In Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "1techgirl" <1techgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1DE5675-A71C-46DF-8293-061F...

Can anyone repeat this still
Ok, here is a simple console app that does the same thing. Can someone try this and let me know? #include "stdafx.h" double i = .01; double j = .01; int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { i = .03; /* This works */ if ( i - .01 >= j ) i -= .01; /* Skips here even though i - .01 == .01 */ if ( i - .01 >= j ) i -= .01; i -= .01; /* Skips here too */ if ( i >= j ) i -= .01; return 0; } I've tried a different approach but it doesn't work either. Here is the code. #include "stdafx.h" static double...

Is a Flex Grid What I need?
I am looking to set up a schedule for my production team so that they can see all of their open orders, what machine and or operator is working on them, the material used, the qty needed for the order and the due date. I really would like this to be a dynamic form where they can tweak dates or move around the orders to move in a rush order or move back an order etc... dates and times are changing all the time, and I'd like my production team to have a screen to view each machine and the orders assigned to that machine. In the past I have looked at the flex grid control (can...

beginning zeros won't hold in field when saving as .CSV
When saving an Excel spreadsheet as a .CSV (comma delimited) file, beginning zeros dissapear. The only way I know to keep the zeros is to format the field as 'text.' However, .CSV files wipe out all formatting. Is there a way to KEEP the zero in the number '08' instead of '8' when saving as .CSV!? Please send suggestions. It would be appreciated. Thank you. Hi Heather, After you save your file as a csv, go into Windows Explorer and change the extension to .txt. Then when you open the file in Excel, use the comma delimited format feature, then select the co...

Trying to Understand the Difference Between Contacts and Personal Address Book
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3140790798_303398 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Hello, I recently upgraded to a newer version of Outlook. Some questions: 1. When I import my former email addresses using the File-Import function it asks if I want them in Personal Address Book or Contacts folder. What is the difference? 2. For some reason all my names are listed with a first name first, not last name. This is confusing. ...

Creating Images for Templates.
When you go to open a Microsoft Template, it gives you a nice little image of the template you are going to open in the Template window. When I go to open a template I created, all I see is a picture with some lines on it (representing writing) and a black X on the bottom. Is there any way to create a picture to go along with my templates, like the ones MS has for their own documents? I tried checking off the "Save Thumbnail" option when saving, but that didn't do anything. Any ideas? Saving the thumbnail does it for me. -- Hope this helps. Please rep...

Need help with sql and form
I am trying to get an average from SumOfPalletCount and rs.recordCount but I get errors no matter how I try and do this...Is there a better way to do this? *********What I currently have in a qrytest:*********** PARAMETERS [DaySelected] DateTime; SELECT RecyHistory.DateRec, Sum(RecyHistory.PalletCount) AS SumOfPalletCount FROM RecyHistory GROUP BY RecyHistory.DateRec HAVING (((DatePart("w",[RecyHistory].[DateRec]))=DatePart("w",[DaySelected]))); ******And Form coding:********* Private Sub DateRec_GotFocus() Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef Dim rs As DAO.Recordset ...

Different rate levels
I want to create a custom entity for charge out rates that I can set for a service activity. This is getting a bit complicated as: - 1 case can have more than 1 service activity (usually just 1, but can be 2 or 3) - Each service activity may have more than 1 technician - Technicians can be billed at different rates depending on their role (i.e. engineer, electrician etc) - Customers are billed at different rates according to their service contract level Using suggestions from an old post (http://groups.google.com.au/group/microsoft.public.crm/browse_thread/thread/3b06075e30a509f2?hl=en), I wa...

Is there a way to insert footnotes in Excel?
I need to know if there is a way to add footnotes to an Excel spreadsheet? My guess is thatr there is not. Thanks. Hi your guess is correct. you could insert a comment ('Insert - Comment') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Knocka" <Knocka@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1E1D6C1-AD5E-4AEE-8F16-2234B82A88DD@microsoft.com... > I need to know if there is a way to add footnotes to an Excel spreadsheet? > My guess is thatr there is not. Thanks. You could add a footer line in a printed worksheet to include you footnotes. This w...

Help needed with query for weekly totals
I have a table with orders for the year. What I want to do is create a query that shows a sum of each product sold by Item Number, but grouped by weeks of the year. i.e. all sales for product Number 100 for first week of 2007, total for same product number for second week of 2007, etc. Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Terry If this is for a report, let the Reports Wizard do it for you. It can help you create a report that is grouped both by Item Number then by Week. I believe that the default is Month but you can change that at the drop down. -- Jerry Whittle, M...

help needed
Started to set up the inventory items. Since we're a small boutique store, with limited selections of certain products, the Matrix item approach seems to not be perfectly suited - but I see the power of reporting based on the 3 separate attributes. Not sure if I can create a matrix for a certain cluster of skirts, get all the combinations between the various attrbutes and then delete the items that we don't have in our inventory and will never going to get. This would make it cleaner I guess. The price could be different for each of the shirts. Or Standard items would be the b...

Is there a way to combine Word and Excel documents into one app?
Trying to use one Office app to open/edit word and excel documents from a single pane of glass...somewhat like a workbook using Office 2007 Pro No, while you can embed excel docs into word, its not really practical when editing. You could save them as PDFs... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST...

Saving form takes a long time
Hi all, In Access2003 I have a frontend of about 2MB (backend is about 1,5 MB and has about 8 tables). The frontend consists of 4 forms, 6 reports, 2 modules, and some queries. The biggest and main form in the frontend seems like a normal form to me. It has a subform in it and in my eyes not too much code. However, when I make a simple change to the form, for instance making a field bigger or add a button with 3 lines of code, and I want to save the form it takes 1 to 2 minutes to save. Although there are no signs of a corrupt database I tried compact and repair. This action is done pr...

Error on saving a form, when few extra controls are added dynamica
Hi, I am dynamically adding a readonly textarea on a CRM form, which is populated with some data, based on few conditions at runtime. Using JavaScript, I am able to add textarea at dynamically. But when user clicks on "Close" button, I get runtime error and data is not saved. Code to add fields at runtime: objAddress = oCurrentTab.appendChild(document.createElement('textarea')); objAddress.id = 'objAddress'; objAddress.readOnly=true; objAddress.innerText = "Some Text which is to be displayed"; Can anyone point me to what I am doing wrong? Also i...

Macro error, range object need data?
Hi all How can I improve my macro which has a macro error like below: "Macro error The method can't be used in the applied context. Specifically, some Range object methods require that the range contain data. If the range does not contain data, the method fails." How can I modify range object which has some empty data in the range? Thanks Daniel Hi, Does the range you are referencing contain data? Empty cells or those containing #N/A can cause problems when using the charting section of the object model. Cheers Andy Daniel wrote: > Hi all > How can I improve ...

Different access to data related to contact
I have the case that two or more Sales reps are in relation with the same contact but information that one relates to the contact like email, message etc.. are not allowed to be seen by other sales reps. Is there any possibility to do it in CRM? ...

How to ensure the print out are identical even from different PC?
Dear All, We have some Forms Generated in Excel (2002) format and saved in a network PC. However, when they are opened from different PC and printed (even) to same network printer, the print out was not identical even though we have locked worksheet from being formatted. This only happens in Excel. Other format, for example, Word, PDF, TXT do not have this problem. Can anyone help on this issue? Thanks YZ Zheng zhengyanzhao@hotmail.com ...

Very Tricky Situation
Hi everyone. I have very tricky situation to deal with. I have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server running on Windows 2003 Enterprise. The mailbox store in the First Storage Group got corrupted. Public Store was fine. I created a new Storage Group and new Mailbox Store and was able to move all mailboxes to the new store in the new storage group. The New Storage Group has a different location for the .EDB, STM, and transaction log files than the First Storage Group. After rebooting the server the corrupted mailbox store in the First Storage Group would not mount but the Public Store mount...

can't save xlsb

Way to Link Tab Names
I checked this out a few years ago, but thought I might post for an updated answer. I have a few workbooks linked together and would like to know if there is a way to create an absolute reference between linked tabs regardless of the name of the tab. As new projects are started, tabs get renamed, so we have to have all the workbooks open at once to keep the links active. Maybe there is a way to name the tab to a linked cell, so as a workbook is opened, it looks at the linked cell name for the tab name first to keep the links active? It would also have to work around tabs getting re...

EARN $ 1,434,892.8 BY E-GOLD (GUARANTEED!!) All you need is 3 People You know #7
EARN $ 1,434,892.8 BY E-GOLD (GUARANTEED!!) All you need is 3 People You know Hello every body , im be glad to introduce one of the best MLM for every body who wants to explod his/her earning with very simple steps and incredible situation! JUST IMAGINE...... If you achieve only 10% success you will still make $ 143,489.28 If you achieve only 1% success you will still make $ 14,348.928 But If we trust to each other and be serious, reaching to $ 1,434,892.8 is not seem so far,just three or four weeks!! The whole works that you should do : 1) You should open an e-gold account ,th...

HELP
Folks, I’ve spent a fair bit of time perusing this and other groups. Two things were very apparent to me. First, I don’t know much! Second, I’m so far out I don’t even know what to ask. The questions that folks have been asking are very detailed and targeted to a very specific task. My situation is different. I need a plan, some general guidance on how to proceed. I need a roadmap because I’m not even sure where I’m going. So, asking for detailed directions at this point is senseless! Here’s the deal. I have 4 workbooks (SOURCE.XLS, RECONSTRUCT.XLS, MODELS.XLS, RESULTS.XLS)...

Column mailing list needs to be converted to rows
I have been handed a list that I need to convert and I am stumped. The worksheet contains three columns of addresses. The addresses are generally in one of three formats: Company Contact Street number and name City State Zip or Name Street number and name City State Zip or The repeat of the above with two lines for street information. As far as I can tell so far, these four are the only the different formats. Some of the addresses have a comma between the city and state. One final complication, some addresses use the 5 digit zip, some use the zip+4 with a dash. Is there a way to con...