How To Find A Macro -- Word 2007

Our company has several hundred controlled forms that are saved as protected
templates on a server.

Recently, we've had many cases of people trying to open these templates and
getting error messages about macros (Do you want to enable?) even though
there shouldn't be any macros in the forms that are giving the errors.

I know very little (read "less than nothing") about macros. How do you find
and disable an unwanted macro in a document? Where do they hide?

I don't know if it matters, but all of the forms that give these errors have
been recently revised. Our document control department has migrated from
Office 2003 to Office 2007 recently, but since most of the company is still
using 2003, we're saving everything in the older formats. All the documents
have the *.dot extension -- not the *.dotm extension.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Your users should not be opening the templates.  Rather, they should be
using File>New and then selecting the appropriate template as the basis for
the document that they want to create.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Our company has several hundred controlled forms that are saved as
> protected
> templates on a server.
>
> Recently, we've had many cases of people trying to open these templates
> and
> getting error messages about macros (Do you want to enable?) even though
> there shouldn't be any macros in the forms that are giving the errors.
>
> I know very little (read "less than nothing") about macros. How do you
> find
> and disable an unwanted macro in a document? Where do they hide?
>
> I don't know if it matters, but all of the forms that give these errors
> have
> been recently revised. Our document control department has migrated from
> Office 2003 to Office 2007 recently, but since most of the company is
> still
> using 2003, we're saving everything in the older formats. All the
> documents
> have the *.dot extension -- not the *.dotm extension.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jerry

0
Doug
4/28/2010 8:48:07 AM
You may be right, but that doesn't answer my question of how to find out
whether a document has an unwanted macro in it.

Does anybody out there know how to tell whether there's a macro in a
document or know where to find it?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Your users should not be opening the templates.  Rather, they should be
> using File>New and then selecting the appropriate template as the basis for
> the document that they want to create.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Our company has several hundred controlled forms that are saved as
> > protected
> > templates on a server.
> >
> > Recently, we've had many cases of people trying to open these templates
> > and
> > getting error messages about macros (Do you want to enable?) even though
> > there shouldn't be any macros in the forms that are giving the errors.
> >
> > I know very little (read "less than nothing") about macros. How do you
> > find
> > and disable an unwanted macro in a document? Where do they hide?
> >
> > I don't know if it matters, but all of the forms that give these errors
> > have
> > been recently revised. Our document control department has migrated from
> > Office 2003 to Office 2007 recently, but since most of the company is
> > still
> > using 2003, we're saving everything in the older formats. All the
> > documents
> > have the *.dot extension -- not the *.dotm extension.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Jerry

First, let's distinguish between a *document* and a *template*, because that
distinction is critical to Word itself, and using the words interchangeably
is just going to lead us around in circles. According to your original post,
the files you're dealing with are templates, not documents.

Am I correct that the templates (*.dot files) should not contain macros? Is
it also true that they don't (shouldn't) contain any ActiveX controls
(things from the Control Toolbox of Word 2003 or the bottom rows of the
Legacy Controls dropdown in Word 2007)?

If both of those assumptions are true, but you see macro warnings when you
open the templates for editing, then the three main possibilities are:

(a) There really is a macro or an ActiveX control in the template.

(b) Someone in the past added (or recorded) a macro, or inserted an ActiveX
control, and then deleted it; but the file still contains some binary data
that tells Word that the code was once there.

(c) The aforementioned binary data was placed in the file erroneously when
Word 2007 saved the template in Word 2003 format. (This seems unlikely, but
it's still possible.)

If (a) is true, after opening the template you should be able to see a macro
in the macro editor (in the Project Explorer pane of the editor,
double-click each module icon under the template's project name); if there
is code there, right-click the module and choose to remove it. Also, you can
look through the text of the template for any ActiveX control and remove it.

If (b) or (c) is true, the macro warning is the only visible sign of it.

In the bad old days, the only way to cure a lingering macro warning was to
save the template (or document) was to save it in a format that has no way
to store macros, such as RTF; then open that file and resave it in the *.dot
(or *.doc) format. With Word 2007, it should be possible to save the
template in *.dotx format to strip out the macro-related garbage, then open
that and resave it in *.dot format.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jerry wrote:
> You may be right, but that doesn't answer my question of how to find
> out whether a document has an unwanted macro in it.
>
> Does anybody out there know how to tell whether there's a macro in a
> document or know where to find it?
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> Your users should not be opening the templates.  Rather, they should
>> be using File>New and then selecting the appropriate template as the
>> basis for the document that they want to create.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Our company has several hundred controlled forms that are saved as
>>> protected
>>> templates on a server.
>>>
>>> Recently, we've had many cases of people trying to open these
>>> templates and
>>> getting error messages about macros (Do you want to enable?) even
>>> though there shouldn't be any macros in the forms that are giving
>>> the errors.
>>>
>>> I know very little (read "less than nothing") about macros. How do
>>> you find
>>> and disable an unwanted macro in a document? Where do they hide?
>>>
>>> I don't know if it matters, but all of the forms that give these
>>> errors have
>>> been recently revised. Our document control department has migrated
>>> from Office 2003 to Office 2007 recently, but since most of the
>>> company is still
>>> using 2003, we're saving everything in the older formats. All the
>>> documents
>>> have the *.dot extension -- not the *.dotm extension.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> Jerry

0
Jay
4/28/2010 4:25:06 PM
You can right click on the ribbon and select Customize Quick Access
Toolbar... then click on Popular and select Show Developer tab in the Ribbon
then click OK

Click Developer then click Macros

This will display any macros currently associated with the open document

If you want everyone to not be bothered with macros you can click the Office
Button; select Word Options; go to Trust Center; click Trust Center Settings;
select Disable all macros without notification

"Jerry" wrote:

> You may be right, but that doesn't answer my question of how to find out
> whether a document has an unwanted macro in it.
>
> Does anybody out there know how to tell whether there's a macro in a
> document or know where to find it?
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
> > Your users should not be opening the templates.  Rather, they should be
> > using File>New and then selecting the appropriate template as the basis for
> > the document that they want to create.
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> > services on a paid consulting basis.

> > "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Our company has several hundred controlled forms that are saved as
> > > protected
> > > templates on a server.
> > >
> > > Recently, we've had many cases of people trying to open these templates
> > > and
> > > getting error messages about macros (Do you want to enable?) even though
> > > there shouldn't be any macros in the forms that are giving the errors.
> > >
> > > I know very little (read "less than nothing") about macros. How do you
> > > find
> > > and disable an unwanted macro in a document? Where do they hide?
> > >
> > > I don't know if it matters, but all of the forms that give these errors
> > > have
> > > been recently revised. Our document control department has migrated from
> > > Office 2003 to Office 2007 recently, but since most of the company is
> > > still
> > > using 2003, we're saving everything in the older formats. All the
> > > documents
> > > have the *.dot extension -- not the *.dotm extension.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > >
> > > Jerry

First, let me say that if you know very  little about macros, you may know
too little to decide whether  a macro is wanted or needed.  So please be
careful.  Anyway ...

In W2007, any document  with  the docx extension cannot contain macros.
Those with the docm extension can contain macros.  For a  .doc document, you
can try to save it as a .dotx.  If Word allows a save as .dotx, the file
contains no macros.

You could also look in the macros dialog.  Press Alt+F8 (the F8 function key)
to open the dialog.  Click the arrow to the right of the input box after
"Macros in:".  And from the drop-down list click the name of  the document
(or template) you are in.  If the list macros box is empty, there are no
macros in the document.

Note, though, that macros in an attached document template and any add-on
templates that are not in **trusted locations**, can trigger the message your
users are seeing.

Pam

Jerry wrote:
>You may be right, but that doesn't answer my question of how to find out
>whether a document has an unwanted macro in it.
>
>Does anybody out there know how to tell whether there's a macro in a
>document or know where to find it?
>
>> Your users should not be opening the templates.  Rather, they should be
>> using File>New and then selecting the appropriate template as the basis for
>[quoted text clipped - 25 lines]
>> >
>> > Jerry

Pamelia

Can i use Windows Search to find a number within Excel?
If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found. But, it does not appear to me that numbers can be found. Of course the number as Excel stores it may differ from how it is displayed. But, does anybody know if this is possible? For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears in Excel (as formatted). I tried typing the number both with and without the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find the Excel file that contains that number. So, any kn...

Excel 2007: Problem with refresh screen (when minimizied)
Hello On our network (around 40 workstations; Win XP Pro and Office 2007) we have particular the following problem: The user minimized the Excel programm window and do some other works in other applications, return to the minimized Excel window and want to maximize the Excel window. Result: The Excel window is empty. You can paricular see some rows or colums but often not. We try out also other graphic card but get no success. Any ideas? Kind regards, Martin Schweizer ...

Shutting off flags in Outlook 2007
How do I stop the message that says "message not sent" that pops up while composing e-mail? Is it an actual dialog box that comes up? What type of email account do you have configured in Outlook? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exc...

Finding the combination that appears more times
Hi everybody i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns A:E, each column showing one (1) item I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically, which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix eg: A B C D F A C D E F B C D E F B C D F Z in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination would take forever... is there a simpler, quicker ...

why won't my cursor advance in some word docs
I have several doc that suddenly are jamming all the letters on top of each other on the left side of the page. When the doc is in web view, it shows everything as normal, but when I click on normal or print view, it's just a line of jumble. It also won't print our correctly. Not sure what I did to cause this, but it sure is a pain. Any suggestions? It is a printer driver bug and usually associated with HP printers. Do you have a locally installed printer driver set as the windows default? When this next happens, close Word and then reopen it to restore that pages a...

Find byte pattern in file (still desperate for solution)
I'm still desperately looking for a solution to this question. I need a very intelligent way to find an array of bytes within a file, but not only that preferably a regex expression of sorts. For example my database has around 50,000 regex entries such as "FFFF.*BB0403.*FF" that I want to turn into a byte array then search for. I understand how to go about writing my own code for this, however it is a little over my head when we're dealing with searching so many patterns against many files while trying to be speedy about the operation. Does anyone have any g...

Make sure no running instances of MS Word
I need do some work which do not want any instances of MS Word existed. How to make sure no running instances of MS Word? Use CreateToolHelp32SnapShot(...)/Process32first/Process32Next and see if the PROCESSENTRY32 's szExeFile has winword.exe substring. -- Vipin Aravind Microsoft MVP "lotus" <hanfeifei@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137401872.309784.308260@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I need do some work which do not want any instances of MS Word existed. > > How to make sure no running instances of MS Word? > ...

How: Link Word merge document to Quote from 'print quote for custo
In CRM 4.0 we want to do this as sometimes the sales person does minor amendments to word merge document, and if customer looses quote and wants another sent, any member of staff can send them a copy again. Currently the workaround is to save to Word document and then add Note to Quote and then attach Word file manually. Is there a better way than this? ...

Received mail notification in Outlook 2007
I am very satisfied with the performance of Outlook 2007, except I would like to set it up so I would be notified of incomming mail with a voice, such as "you got mail". Is it possible, and how? That's a Windows setting in Control Panel, Sounds. Under Windows Sounds, choose one for New mail Notification. "RigaLVB" wrote: > I am very satisfied with the performance of Outlook 2007, except I would > like to set it up so I would be notified of incomming mail with a voice, > such as "you got mail". Is it possible, and how? > > > ...

Money 2007 Not Responding
Money 2007 Deluxe is periodically and un-reproduceably hanging during various operations (transaction entering, balancing accounts, etc.) with no rhyme or reason. My only option is to close Money by clicking the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the program. Vista then asks if I want to close or wait. I've waited as long as 30 minutes with no response from Money, so I always choose "Close". None of my data seems to get lost or garbled in any way. This is a new installation of Money on a new computer with Vista. This is a new money file that only has tra...

Macro to run without any popups
I am a newbie but thought someone in this group could assist Trying to accomplish the following: Search for all ^p and replace them with ^| (soft return) and then find the following text =93please call with questions=94 and put that in bold anywhere in the sentence. However I am able to do the soft return with a macro but I don=92t want any popups to happen when I run the macro. Is that possible? Sub ScratchMaco() Dim oRng As Word.Range Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content With oRng.Find .Text = "^p" .Replacement.Text = "^l" .Execute Replace:=wdRep...

exchange 2007 delayed sending
a while ago I posted a message about delayed sending being stuck in the outbox in outlook 2007 outlook can not be closed as then the email is not send now I am trying to do the same but using outlook in online modus instead, the messages are now send immediately this even though the message header in outlook clearly states that the message is not to be delivered before "date and time" (in the future) how can I find out why this feature is not working (as expected) thnx This artical is very useful and it applies to Exchange/Outlook 2007 as well http://blogs...

How to change a Macro based on content of a cell
Hi, I need to import a text file into a spreadsheet. I can do this manually by doing File > Open > then select a text file. Then Excel goes through the Text Import Wizard I can automate this by recording a Macro in Excel. The macro looks like this (Excell wrote that for me, I did not): Sub Macro1() Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\DrillData\" + "MOR701.pck", Origin:=xlMSDOS, _ StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0, 1), Array(12 _ , 1), Array(26, 1), Array(37, 1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True End Sub How can I change ...

Make combobox blank in macro
I use a wizard to create a combo box to find the record in my form. It creates macro automatcially. Works fine. After finding the record, I want to set the combo box to null or "" but need help add that line in macro. Thanks. Sorry but not many people use macros (me too) so can’t really be help there. But try this. I assume your macro is search on a name ? You have the ID field in the combo and the name and the ID field is the bound column of the combo ??? If so. 1st MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR DATABASE Then – open you form in design view Right click the combo an...

Please help me with a couple of VBA related Word questions... than
1. If a group of users have a common template installed on their machine, and they are all sent a document created with that template, is the appropriate corresponding template identified by its filename, or by its fully-qualified-folder-path-filename (which could be in different locations on different client machines), or something else? 2. Can VBA code be separated from the document and distributed separately from the document? 3. What's the best way of distributing changes to a VBA macro? Thank you for your help I do not have the facilities to the check a...

Viewing Outlook 2007 calendar in a "stacked" view?
I used to be able to view my Outlook 2003 calendar in a "stacked" weekly view, so rather than the vertical columns in 2007, I was able to see my week as (imagine boxes around each day with the appointments listed underneath): Monday Thursday Tuesday Friday Wednesday Sat/Sun I can't seem to find this view now and I'm wondering if it's even an option? Or do I just have to get used to 2007's vertical columns? That view is gone in 2007 Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook Trainer and Consultant www.pragmatix.com.au Ou...

Cannot find network neigberhood for XP?
I am using XP with SP3, and cannot find my netowork neigberhood, which disappear on my desktop, does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BDA67E4-7E39-42C2-B8C5-0220D1146A98@microsoft.com... >I am using XP with SP3, and cannot find my netowork neigberhood, which > disappear on my desktop, does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate > it? > Thanks in advance for any suggestions > Eric Right-click on your desktop, pick Prope...

Office v.X for Mac Compatibility Issues with Office 2007

using find and replace it's making me look in another file to upd
I have used the find and replace function several times in the spreadsheet to update the fromulas monthly. For some reason when I use it this month it wants me to look in another file to "update values"? There is not another file and there is no way for me to use the find and replace. ...

Investigating macros and objects
I need to write some macros and to do so I must understand some of the Excel functions. For example, when I record a macro to find something, I edit the macro and find this: Cells.Find(What:="actualaxis1", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, _ LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False).Activate For example: What are all the options for "After:=" If I suspect that "ActiveCell" does not fit my needs, what else can I put in here? In this case, I don't want to look AFTER any particular cell, I wa...

can't save files in subfolders using Word #2
I'm running Word on a Mac running OS X. When I go to save a file in Word, it only gives me the option to save in the root files like "Documents" or "Applications." How do I save the file into a subfolder? On a PC, I would double click to open the folders until I got to the folder I needed. That doesn't work here. Can someone help? I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing. Thanks - Taylor In article <1163740041.258317.226140@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, taylorgriffin@gmail.com wrote: > I'm sure this is something obvious I'...

Publisher 2007 file is listed on my network, but the file wont ope
After designing a publisher application with Microsoft Office 2007, I have saved the document to my local network, and ALAS, the folder containing the file is "empty", but clicking on the folder shows the document(properties, size etc.) but I cannot open/edit/rename the file! Any help is greatly appreciated. Can you open the file if you drag it to your local hard drive? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "jtjordan_design" <jtjordan_design@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BBA993D-09AE-4BE5-BEFC-0A06705A16D0@microsoft.com... > After desi...

Conditional Formatting in Excel 2007 #2
Hi guys, I have been asked to prepare a spreadsheet that uses conditional formatting on another cell. What it needs to do is that is a cell contains a particular value i.e. between 2 and 6 the adjacent cell will turn say blue, but the issue is that there is up to 6 different rules that could be applied to that one cell. All of these rules then need to work for the subsequent entries. If anyone could help me with this issue I would be very grateful. Many Thanks Didi On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 03:10:07 -0700 (PDT), didi <diane.bush@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: >Hi guys, > >I have been a...

toolbar macros #2
I've gone through the routine to assign a macro to a toolbar button, even down to getting the option to select the macro, but it isn't permanent. When I click on the button afterwards,I get the same dialog to assign the macro. However, I can permanently assign the same macro to a graphic in the sheet. Second quandary - Can I assign that same macro to a cell which has only text? ...

How do I compare 2 worksheets, 1 old, 1 updated to find difference
I have 2 large worksheets of text information, the 2nd being an update of the first, I need to identify/highlight the updated fields. Is there a way to do this? There is a workbook compare add-in by Myrna Larsen and Bill Manville on Chip Pearson's site you might try: http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "alienstew" <alienstew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1CD24D8-93AB-47CA-AAF0-708A4D3EA14C@microsoft.com... |I have 2 large worksheets of text information, the 2nd being an update of the | first, I need to identify/highlig...