How to change "registry policy setting" to access old docs

I have some docs created in the early 90's but Windows won't allow access
because of my "registry policy settings".  How do I access and change these?

What version of Word? If it's 2003, see “Information about certain file
types that are blocked after you install Office 2003 Service Pack 3” at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938810

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"starcons" <starcons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have some docs created in the early 90's but Windows won't allow access
> because of my "registry policy settings".  How do I access and change
> these?

0
Suzanne
12/30/2009 6:22:27 PM
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:56:01 -0800, starcons
<starcons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have some docs created in the early 90's but Windows won't allow access
>because of my "registry policy settings".  How do I access and change these?

If you have Office 2003, go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810
and follow the steps under "Method 1" to download and run the
UnblockWord.reg file.

If you have Office 2007, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849
instead.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

How to change "registry policy setting" to access old docs
I have some docs created in the early 90's but Windows won't allow access because of my "registry policy settings". How do I access and change these? What version of Word? If it's 2003, see “Information about certain file types that are blocked after you install Office 2003 Service Pack 3” at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938810 -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "starcons" <starcons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D913EAE6-5994-4FF2-8B17-0E3441...

registry policy setting pop-up
I'm trying to open a OLD file saved in Lotus 123 format (.wk1) and I get the following Windows pop-up "You are trying to open a file type that is blocked by your registry policy setting" What do I need to do to open the file successfully? If I need to modify the registry, how to do that? Thanks! -- --- Phil Microsoft offers a fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 Cheers, JM "Phil Wagner" <pmwslo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dmHhk.8923$Dw3.8647@newsfe04.iad... > I'm trying to open a OLD file saved in Lotus 123 format (.wk1) and I g...

blocked by registry policy settings
Getting error message that says "You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of microsoft office. this file type is blocked from opening in this version by your registry policy setting" What version of Word? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "iowapk" <iowapk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB4CA18E-1B19-42D1-A68F-C1B773DD4B29@microsoft.com... > Getting error message that says "You are attempting to open a file that > was ...