How do I stop Word putting text at bottom of page onto next page?

Word pushes some text at the bottom of the page onto the next page, thereby
creating a gap at the bottom of the page.  How do I get Word to stop doing
this?

The following settings may be relevant in such a case: "Keep with next,"
"Keep lines together," and "Widow/orphan control" (all found in the
Paragraph dialog box).

Note, however, that the best way to deal with this depends on what kind of a
document you are creating. Is it a numbered outline of heading styles? A
document with footnotes in it?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"AndrewNicholas" <AndrewNicholas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Word pushes some text at the bottom of the page onto the next page,
> thereby
> creating a gap at the bottom of the page.  How do I get Word to stop doing
> this?

0
Stefan
3/7/2010 1:27:27 PM
Turn off the Widows And Orphans option that is part of the paragraph format.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"AndrewNicholas" <AndrewNicholas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Word pushes some text at the bottom of the page onto the next page,
> thereby
> creating a gap at the bottom of the page.  How do I get Word to stop doing
> this?

0
Graham
3/7/2010 1:31:49 PM
See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm for some factors that
influence this.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"AndrewNicholas" <AndrewNicholas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Word pushes some text at the bottom of the page onto the next page,
> thereby
> creating a gap at the bottom of the page.  How do I get Word to stop doing
> this?

0
Suzanne

Stagger X-axis text
In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems that I can only rotate the text to 90 degrees. Is there a way to stagger and leave horizontal? Specifically, I have all the provinces (or 10 of them) across the axis and they take up room when spelt out (no abbreviations allowed). I would rather the first, third, fifth ... etc. be higher and the second, fourth etc. be lower to allow the chart to be narrower and still read the text clearly. Cheers, Deborah >-----Original Message----- >In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems Deborah I would...

Word problem
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Word will not let me insert a bibliography into my word document. When i go onto document elements - it is not allowing me to click as it is shadowed - ???? Since you don't specify otherwise, start with the basics: 1- Make sure Office is fully updated to 12.2.4 2- Make sure OS X is fully updated to 10.6.3 3- Repair Disk Permissions 4- Restart your Mac Confirming all of that it will make it possible to determine how to approach the problem. Until that's all done it's pointless to chase symptoms. Regar...

Property Page
All, How can I make a property page active from a menu item? Thanks in advance.... I got it. m_dlgPropSheet.SetActivePage(m_dlgPropSheet.GetPageIndex(&m_EnSyncPage)); "The Truth" <sharp_mind@email.msn.R.E.M.O.V.E.T.H.I.S.com.no.spam> wrote in message news:e$YuNOJkEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > All, > > How can I make a property page active from a menu item? Thanks in > advance.... > > ...

How to put a image pixel array to a CImageList?
I have a image pixel array like DWORD ImageBits[16][16]={0xff00ff,...}. My code just gives me a black image on the toolbar button. CImageList imgList; CBitmap bmImages; VERIFY(bmImages.CreateBitmap(16, 16, 1, sizeof(RGBQUAD) * 8, &ImageBits)); HIMAGELIST hImages; hImages = ImageList_Create(16, 16, ILC_COLOR16 | ILC_MASK, 1, 0); imgList.Attach(hImages); imgList.Add(&bmImages, RGB(255, 0, 255)); GetToolBarCtrl().SetImageList(&imgList); imgList.Detach(); Thank you. ...

OWA Password page not showing up.
I installed the hotfix from kb 833734. I've also tried to follow the steps found at kb 327843. However, when I set an account to "change password at next logon" and go to that account in OWA on a FE that's using forms based auth, it doesn't redirect to the page for changing an expired password. However if i direct my browser to that page manually and fill in the form, it unexpires my password just fine. Is this how it's supposed to work? Shouldn't it detect that it's expired and thus redirect me to the page for resetting my password? Thanks. This ...

Help ! formatting data to text

VISIO 2007 -Text direction
can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change text direction command does not work. "kgbrat" <kgbrat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBF18B5-E1C8-4493-8BEF-F7D4C1538781@microsoft.com... > can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under > tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change > text > direction command does not work. You can use the Text Tool (The A with an circular arrow around it) and gr...

Exchange Stops Working
Hello. MY SETUP: 1. Primary server named STECNICIL (THIS HAS WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER) 2. Secondary server name TEC-EXCHNG (THIS IS THE EXCHANGE SBS SERVER 2003) All the user connect through STECNICIL to get internet and every other service... All users connect to TEC-EXCHNG to get their email through OUTLOOK 2003. MY PROBLEM: I don't know what's going on but approximatly every 30mn to 1 hour, the connections between the clients and the EXCHANGE SERVER stops working. No more email for clients after that period of time. I have restart the server and restart the EXCH...

Can't Stop External Hard Drive
I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB port. I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them. I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my computer. But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped. It used to be that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive. But that's stopped working. Here are two questions: 1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?; 2. What is the worst that can happe...

Bizarre background window behavior in Word
I am running MS Office for Mac 2008 (12.2.4) on a 2008 Intel iMac with the most recent version of Leopard OS. Since installing a recent upgrade to Mac Office 2008, I have been having a frustrating problem when I keep multiple documents open in Word. The active document will randomly be moved to the background, while one of the inactive open documents will randomly move to the foreground. Curiously, the inactive window now in the foreground actually remains inactive, and if I continue typing, the text is placed in the active window that is now hidden in the background. The only way to b...

Access To Word Mailmerge
I have setup a Mailmerge that is run from Access. The process works like this: 1) The proper record is selected in an Access form which automatically starts the process. 2) Word is called up automatically, it shows both the template and the doument with the proper data in it. 3) Access is closed automatically. 4) The user then needs to close the mailmerge template. 5) The document with the proper mailmerge information inserted from Access is up on the screen. At this point a shortcut is triggered by the user that adds a document of the users choice to the end of the curre...

E-Newsletter Doesn't Print All Pages
Outlook 2003 & 2007 =================== Hello, I have a customer who designs and sends out an E-Newsletter in MS Publisher. When I receive the e-newsletter and try to print it, it does not print all of the pages of the newsletter. Typically it only prints the first page (of 3 pages). I realize most would recommend that the customer send it out as a PDF attachment, but the preference is to send it out as an e-newsletter. Any thoughts on why I can not print all of the pages in the newsletter and what I can do to make it work? Thanks for giving this some thought. w...

Text in column causing SUMPRODUCT error
Greegings. I have a SUMPRODUCT formula that is having errors when one of the columns has text instead of a NULL or a number. If I delete the text cells in that column it works as desired. I'll give a simple example. Suppose I have the following in A1:B6.... a 1 a 2 a abc b 1 b 1 a 2 And I need this... =SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$6="a")*($B$1:$B$6)) It errors out until I delete the "abc" in cell B3, then it works as desired. I tried to replace the "abc" with a 0 by trying this... =IF(ISNUMBER(B3)=FALSE,0,B3) And it works for that pa...

Copy cell contents, then paste into the same cell with other text.
Hi! I tried a search first and couldn't find anything like this. My spreadsheet has a column for shipping that takes a series like this for each product: ?0.0*0.13.2*d*0x0x0:07:24:04 Following the question mark is the handling charge (0.0 in this example). This is followed by an * and then the weight of the item (0.13.2 in this example which is 13.2 ounces) I have a list of product weights in a colum with just pounds and ounces. I need to copy that information, then paste it into the weight area of the string above and then paste those modified contents back into t...

Help replacing text with Yes or No
I have a field formated as general. The field contains either 1 or is left blank. If the field has a 1 I want to replace it with Yes and if the field is blank I want to replace it with No. any help is appreciated. -- Jerry Save your data and use a copy for this exercize........... Assuming your data in Column A, put this in B1 and copy down........ =IF(A1=1,"Yes","No") Then highlight the column and do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values to get rid of the formulas..........then delete column A if you wish....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jerry Arnone, ...

Problem with secondary home pages GPO
I am trying to set and LOCK the users homepage and secondary home page, So when you launch IE it opens 2 tabs, and users can not change them. Seems like there are 3 places in GPO to set the homepage, but only one of them locks them So I have set \windows components\internet explorer\disable changing home page settings to be the home page I want, that works and lock the setting for the 1 home page. Then I also set the "disable changing secondary home page setting" to the 2nd tab I wanted, and this does not work whe I START IE, but it does work if I'm in IE and hit ...

'Text' instead of number
I have spent two days manipulating data (about 300,000 cells' worth) I imported as Fixed-Width (from MAS-90, if anyone cares). The final step involves multiplying two numbers. The POSITIVE numbers imported fine, the NEGATIVE numbers imported as X.000- and give me a #VALUE! error when I use any math function with them. I have tried the Trimall macro. I am guessing that somehow Excel thinks the '-' is a DASH and not a negative... How do I change that???? See: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/postfixnegatives.html HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- &g...

change business card printing from 10 to 8 on a page?
Some how Pub reverts back to a 10 per page even when I org set it up a 8 per page how do I change it back to 8 What version Publisher are you using? 2003 and below, Page setup, Business cards, click *Change copies per page*... Type: ..5 side ..75 top ..5 Horizontal Gap ..5 Vertical Gap This setup will print with crop marks, if you don't want the marks, on the print screen click *Advanced Print Settings* 2007, File, Page setup, Advanced (on the right) select *Multiple pages per sheet*, change the margins to those above. Give the setup a name, it will be available next time you nee...

Money 2006 - Home page - spending tracker
I have a couple categories showing up in the spending tracker area that don't show up in the list when I click the 'Change the spending areas I watch closely' link so I can't turn them off. Why are these showing up? I.E. I want to see Automobile: Gasoline and Automobile: maintenance but I don't need Automobile: [all other] Same thing for utilities - I don't want the [all other] category. I only use the gasoline and maintenace sub categories ...

Trouble with forms I created in Word 2003
I create form field forms for my department. Recently upgraded to Office 2007. I can't seem to access many things in the "ribbon" in order to unlock the form and/or make any changes, access the header/ footer etc. I have spent hours trying to figure this out and have tried things I have seen in various forums to no avail. Please help! "HBForsyth" <HBForsyth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BDD0D0C-AA9B-4E5B-A632-BE4B7E4DD6E1@microsoft.com... > I create form field forms for my department. Recently upgraded to Office >...