how do I stop word from making decisions for me?

I do not want word to make a list just because I type in a number at the
start of a sentence. I do not want word to indent my work for me because I
tab each sentence at the start. How do I stop this monster from deciding what
I want it to do I am in charge of the word processor but this software seems
to think that it is and it is driving me crazy.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Dionigi" <Dionigi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I do not want word to make a list just because I type in a number at the
> start of a sentence. I do not want word to indent my work for me because I
> tab each sentence at the start. How do I stop this monster from deciding
> what
> I want it to do I am in charge of the word processor but this software
> seems
> to think that it is and it is driving me crazy.

0
Graham
3/16/2010 7:33:33 AM
Try disabling autoformatting. Office button => Word Options => Proofing =>
AutoCorrect Options... => AutoFormat tab.

For more info, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291473

Yves

"Dionigi" <Dionigi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I do not want word to make a list just because I type in a number at the
> start of a sentence. I do not want word to indent my work for me because I
> tab each sentence at the start. How do I stop this monster from deciding
> what
> I want it to do I am in charge of the word processor but this software
> seems
> to think that it is and it is driving me crazy.

0
Yves
3/16/2010 7:37:06 AM
You can turn off your autoformatting, that should fix the issue.

"Dionigi" wrote:

> I do not want word to make a list just because I type in a number at the
> start of a sentence. I do not want word to indent my work for me because I
> tab each sentence at the start. How do I stop this monster from deciding what
> I want it to do I am in charge of the word processor but this software seems
> to think that it is and it is driving me crazy.

How do you make a....
Dropdown Menu, but then a program that imputs information when a certai one from the dropdown menu is selected. Making an order form that auto puts in information depending on whic vender the user selects. So, for instance. If the user selects "Wal-mart" ( I know bad exampl lol), in the 5 empty cells below it fills out the address that specify. Thanks in advance : -- Akusuzak ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Akusuzaku's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2563 View this thread: http://www.excelforu...

Word 2007 automatic spell checker not working
I've tried turning on the automatic spelling and grammar checker via the proofing options. For some reason it can only show grammar errors (green squigly line) yet it cannot show spelling errors (red squigly line). If I then select the check spelling and grammar option it only checks the grammar. I've fiddled around with how checking every box I can try in the proofing options but nothing seems to work!!!! It's really doing my head in, having word but it won't correct any spelling mistakes. Any help would be gratefully received. S In the Proofing cat...

Macro to Combine 2 columns to make one column without merging
I found this macro courtesy of Dave: Option Explicit Sub testme02() Dim myRng As Range Dim myArea As Range Dim myRow As Range Dim myCell As Range Dim myStr As String Set myRng = Selection Application.DisplayAlerts = False For Each myArea In myRng.Areas If myArea.Columns.Count > 1 Then For Each myRow In myArea.Rows myStr = "" For Each myCell In myRow.Cells myStr = myStr & " " & myCell.Text Next myCell myRow.Merge acros...

why have my spreadsheets stopped calculating formulas?
The sheet calculates only those cells that I retype the formula for. If I change the values again it will not recalculate until I retype the formula again. Most likely, the calculation mode has been set to manual instead of automatic. Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the Calculation tab. There, check the Automatic check box. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dfbaskwill" <dfbaskwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3688C6C-AC98-4142-9B58-7D79B090B683@microsoft.com... > Th...

Problem with uploading fom Microsoft Works Word Processor to stick
After 9 automatic updates were received on April 15th 2010 I haven't been able to upload work from Microsoft Works Word processor to memory stick. Uploads were KB981715, KB981332, KB978601, KB978338, KB980232, KB979683, KB977816, KB970309 & KB976002. I think the 1st one listed is probably the offending download, but don't want to remove it if I'm wrong has anyone any idea what to do as I need to uplaod the relevant piece of work to take to my computer course -- Frustrated Hello Lizzie, Further information required: How to view the Update log in Windows ...

Stop Excel from adding hyperlinks...
Everytime I paste an e-mail into Excel 2002 it makes it a hot link, I just want it as text. Any way to stop this? Also...how can I eliminate the links, e-mail, web, from an entire column? Thanks! Frank Hi Frank, Since you have Excel 2002 you can actually prevent the links from being created under the Auto Correct from the Tools menu. Tools (menu), Autocorrect Options, Autoformat as you type (Tab). For previous versions the simplest is to just let them be created and remove them with the same macro you would use to remove your existing hyperlinks. The other way prior to Excel 2002 ...

How can I make a shortcut to OL Add-in Lookout?
I just downloaded Lookout--which I guess is a another .net add-in for Outlook. I want to make a shortcut to Lookout if I can. Can anyone help? Using MOS 03 on an SP2 RTM box. Thanks, Chad Harris You can't. It's an add-in so it only works from within Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eSQTDnagEHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I just downloaded Loo...

Adding a Cripped Microsoft Word Doc to another Microsoft Word Doc
I am trying to take a word doc that is cripped small and add to another word doc as a picture (add on). Thanks for your help. I assume you mean "cropped" but you can't crop a Word document. How did you crop it? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Carolyn" <Carolyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C67FF8F8-3FB8-41B2-870A-87F52688282B@microsoft.com... >I am trying to take a word doc that is cripped small and add to another >word > doc as a pi...

What causes my number pad on my keyboard to suddenly stop functio.
"Tennessee" <Tennessee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCA2827A-44BF-4DAD-B0BE-CECF676A6DF3@microsoft.com... > Press the NumLock key 7Fredrik ...

Maintain links between Excel and word processor.
I am using Excel 2002. The Excel spread sheets are saved using the 97-2000 option. There are several word processor documents linked to a spread sheet. When I copy the Excel spread sheet along with the linked documents to another computer, the links are lost. What can I do to maintain the links when sending these files via email or disk? Randall ...

Merging Tables, Adding Rows--Word 2007, Win7
I've created two tables with the same number or columns and same content in each column. How do I merge the two tables? I'd like to add 10 or so rows to a table, but right mouse click on a row allows an insert of only one row. Another way? -- Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person over a lifetime: ...

my file in Word '03 was converted. need 2 convert from mswrd632
my file in Word '03 was converted. need 2 convert from mswrd632. Need help? I cannot get my original file because of mswrd632, whatever that means. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904/en-us and press the FixIt button. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "A problem with mswrd632" <A problem with mswrd632@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB9A32FC-6E7E-46C3-8256-77DC6001C3B7@microsoft.com... > my file in Word '03 was converted. need 2 convert from mswrd632. Need > help? > I cannot get my original file because of mswrd632...

Exchange 2003 Message Tracking Stops
I am running an Exchange 2003 SP1 server and I noticed today that my message tracking when set to pull back all messages today from 12:00am to 10:00am only shows messages from 12:00am to 12:40am. I've tried everything I can think of short of restarting the entire server and interrupting services to fix the issue. Logs look good and the server and services all appear to be operating normally. No clue in: Event logs Exchange server.log folder logs (which appear fully populated to this point including all messages after 12:40am) ESM shows tracking still enabled Any suggetions thoughts sol...

How do I view Word Documents in PowerPoint?
I am working on a kiosk and I need to have several Word documents viewable in my PowerPoint. I am using 2007. I need the Word documents not only viewable, but browseable. I used "Insert Object" and it was only a snapshot of my document, not browseable. How can I fix this? In article <36F0A87E-186B-48A6-9DB8-0486E82998D4@microsoft.com>, JustinWalker wrote: > I am working on a kiosk and I need to have several Word documents viewable > in my PowerPoint. I am using 2007. > I need the Word documents not only viewable, but browseable. I us...

Export Graph to Word or Excel
Is there a way to export a graph from a report or form into a word document? Whenever I try it I just get a blank page. I need to arrange a method where a graph is sent via email on a monthly basis. Usually a pdf attachment of the report with the graph is the way to go. Not sure off the top of my head how to export a graph image? Mark "garvic82" <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAD552EB-B032-4316-9D01-F4FB41BC7972@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to export a graph from a report or form into a word > document? > Whenev...

Stopping automatic change to date format
I need to retain entries such as "1-7" in General format. Excel automatically changes it to 1-July. Any ideas about stopping this? Thanks Matthew --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Precede the entry with an apostrophe -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Matthew McManus >" <<Matthew.McManus.116kx0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Matthew.McManus.116kx0@excelforum-nospam.com... > I need to retain entries such as "1-7" in General format. Excel > automatically changes it to 1-July. > > Any ideas about stopping this? ...

How can I make excel open every time at 200%?
Paste this into a VBA module in your personal VBA folder. Go there by selecting tools -> Macro -> Visual Basic Editor. Then Insert a module in the modules folder. The name of this subroutine "autoopen" is unique in that it runs every time a workbook is opened. Sub autoopen() ActiveWindow.Zoom = 200 End Sub -- barrfly Excel User - Energy markets ------------------------------------------------------------------------ barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4141 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?...

how do i make the sum of 3 boxes equal a word in another box?

Stop Automatic Date Conversion
I have a CSV file that contains a field listing a school's grade span (e.g., 9 - 12). When I open this CSV file in Excel it converts these to dates. How do I stop this behavior? Changing the format of the cells is no help as the data is lost on conversion. Thanks. Change the filename to *.txt Then when you open it, you'll see excel's text import wizard. You'll be able to choose each field's format (text for those 9-12 columns). Jerry Baker wrote: > > I have a CSV file that contains a field listing a school's grade span > (e.g., 9 - 12). When I open t...

Stopping free text entry in validation cell
Hi, I have an xls that I have set up with validation lists in some cells. I need to stop users from ignoring the options in the list and just typing whatever the want in the cell. Anyone help? I am sure it is easy, but can't see how to do it. Thnx, Smf If you are using a list then that should be enough unless they copy and paste into the validation cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "smf" <smf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:448D4166-A2C9-4C25-852F-7B045DF19F98@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have an xls that I have set up with validation lists...

how do i make a word flash or blink in excel
How do i make a word (text) blink or flash in excel Most advise not too... Check out Chip's solution and advice on flashing cells/words. Read completely, it may be against the law in certain situations. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx HTH Regards, Howard "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C69A402E-0DAA-49E1-A5A5-763DB0F6BFFB@microsoft.com... > How do i make a word (text) blink or flash in excel ...

How do I open an OpenDocument Text (.odt) in Word 2003?
I wonder if there is a way to open an .odt document in Word 2003. You don't. Open it in OpenOffice and save it in .doc format. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "HaTT" <HaTT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CC31800-B8AC-4262-AE9A-AE35D62B88BD@microsoft.com... >I wonder if there is a way to open an .odt document in Word 2003. > You'll need a converter - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/02/07/download-openxml-translator-odf-converter-add-in-for-office-wor...

Tiger causing font problems with Word, Excel and PowerPoint
I upgraded my Panther operating system on a G5 to Tiger and now Word, Excel and PowerPoint and giving me font conflict messages for all my fonts. What do I do? That's the notorious font corruption error that some Tiger users are seeing, and unfortunately, there's no real solution to this. However, there are a couple of suggestions on this page <http://word.mvps.org/Mac/CorruptFontErrors.html>. Post back if you manage to get it to work; the more information we can get on this topic, the better. On 05.06.06 3:57, in article 1149476237.304459.142690@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com,...

Workflow Services stops every few hours
I have a few workflows running against the case entities but the service just stop every few hours. I did restart all by going to the control panel but there must be a reason why it is doing that.... any idea ? ...

Why has my Outlook stopped sending my mail??? #3
I have been using Outlook 2003 for ages to access my BtInternet mail, and now all of a sudden i am being asked to confirm my network password over and over, and regardless it still will not send my mail. I have been on to Yahoo and it sends ok. I have removed the account and reset it. I have checked and confirmed the settings about a million times :-). But it is still asking me. I have a feeling it is a problem with the program (or been hit with a virus of some kind), I did uninstal it and re-instaled, but there must be some settings it does not remove fully because when i re-installed my...