how do i protect a word doc, but leave some areas editable?

I have a word document formatted, but there are certain pieces of information
that need to be edited each time it is used.  How do I create it so only the
set sections can be changed?

Lainey25 wrote:
> I have a word document formatted, but there are certain pieces of
> information that need to be edited each time it is used.  How do I
> create it so only the set sections can be changed?

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm and the links in
that article.

These articles illustrate the steps for Word 2003 or earlier. If you have
Word 2007, post back for revised instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

0
Jay

edit Direct Deposit ACH file
would like to see a tool that allows editing of direct deposit ACH file similar to the PM EFT User Defined tool. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d4ef4f25-a5...

Excel/Word startup: 'Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec' ??
Office 2003 factory-installed by Dell. Opening a new file with Excel (or Word) yields a Visual Basic error message: 'Compile error in hidden network: AutoExec' and then the PC hourglass runs. I used the Office 2003 Installation CD provided with the new laptop to repair Office. It ran quite a while. I then updated Office from the MS website to ensure I had the latest. This did not solve the problem and Dell disavows my existence. I'm wondering if it might be an operating system interaction? I am loath to re-install the XP operating system. Any thoughts? Take a look here: ht...

prob.with printing word doc.
greetings, My Word program crashes almost everytime I hit the print button. The last time I tried,it did not crash, but did not print. Instead, it said it was spooling, and stayed there. If it crashes again, what info from the report will be helpful in determining how to fix this problem? If it is a printer driver problem, is it always the printer that I am trying to use to print the word doc.? I have three hooked up at this time. (UPS.etc) The printer that I am trying to use for this doc is practically new. Thanks, JS Make sure that you have the latest driver for your ...

Protect formatting & formula
I need to protect the formatting & formula in each cell to avoid accidental changes during update by different users. However, if I protect them, any new row creation and deletion are disable. Is there any way resolve it? Especially, when create a row, how can all formatting and formula to create automatically for the new row? Thanks, Scott What version of Excel? "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message news:%23bsg6kCBGHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I need to protect the formatting & formula in each cell to avoid accidental >changes d...

problem opening word 07
When I open word, a dialog box comes up which contains. among other things, the following instructions which I follow up to step 4 then I hit a snag as noted below. >The document contains macros. Macro language support for this application is disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available, Would you like to open this document read-only? Hide Help Open in Help Window • Microsoft Office Access, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint, or Microsoft Office Word -¬To check your macro security settings, click the Microsoft Office Button, click <program nam...

Removing gray shading in protected forms (drop down box)
Hello- I am creating some contract templates for my company's sales force using Word 2003. I am using the forms toolbar to insert checkboxes and drop down boxes from which to select deliverable specifications. The problem is that when a user selects an option from the drop down box, the gray shading remains. I know the sales teams HATE the gray shading because they don't think it looks very good when sending to customers. Is there a way to disable the shading when an option is selected? Thanks. You can remove form field shading altogether using the corresponding b...

Word/Office Integration as seen at CRM 3.0 Partner Readiness Event
Has anyone seen available resources on integration to Office 2003 applications such as Word?? I saw this demo'd at a Partner Readiness event back in Nov. 2005 and they showed a very tight integration with Word for not only mail merge and easy template building (with CRM fields available), but also a task pane that allowed update/edit of existing CRM records within Word. This was being demo'd as "CRM 3.0 tightly integrated with Office"...Ok, so where is this resource? Also, does anyone know where I can find the supposed 100+ CRM web parts for SharePoint?? thanks, A...

Leave as blank
In cell A1 I have a date, in cell B1 it is set so that it calculated seven dats on from the date in A1. Now, I have dragged this formula down in cell B1 into all cells in that column B. There are no values in column A as yet as these will be filled out as the spreadsheet is used. Subsequently, I want column B to remain blank until values are entered in column A. Nonetheless, I am getting the value "07 Jan 00" in my cells in column B. How can I do it so that they are left blank? If your formula is =A1+7, change this to: =IF(A1="","",A1+7) and copy this...

Some stupid questions about edit the aspx file
Hi, I'm quite newbie about asp.net & other web application. I've heared that we can put some code in the CRM aspx file. For example, we can make OnChange event to the textbox in CRM & put some code in it. I know it is unsupported by microsoft, but I need to know how to do it. I've been searching this newsgroup & microsoft.public.crm, but I couldn't found any sample. My question is pretty simple (or stupid, I guess): I've looked in inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\quotes\edit.aspx, but I don't know what to do. My friend telling me that the code behind, is under som...

Template for building personal dictionary of foreign words
I am looking for a template on which I could establish a personal dictionary for the Slovak language. The Slovak language is very complicated. All words have several grammatical forms. Many words have mulitiple uses. Best way to decipher the differences is to have ready the definitions and to see the use of the word in actual slovak sentences. So, a two field data base is grossly insufficient. I would like something more comples but not sure how to be innovative using excel creating such a template. Hello! I use Excel 2003. My understanding is that you are creating this dictionar...

SFO error message "write protected change are not synchronized" 07-28-05
Hi! When I am changing (closing) an kalender activity from my CRM SFO klient i recieve an message that "The item is write protected in Microsoft CRM. Changes are not synchronized to the Microsoft CRM system" (translatet error message). Do you have any ide what i wrong? ...

Resize rows in a protected sheet
Hi there. I'm sending out a protected worksheet with some cells that the users can enter variable amounts of text. I've set the size so they can comfortably fit in about 50 words but I'd like them to have the flexibility to resize the row height when they're editing the worksheet. But because it's protected, they can't. Is there anyway I can allow them to change the row height dynamically? A button or something?? Andrew A workaround. Format the alignment in the cell to Wrap text. Users can Keep entering text or returns (ALT+ENTER) in the cell and it will aut...

Large file edit
How can I retrieve and edit a large text (735 mb) file using Publisher 2003? My computer have 1024mb (SDRAM) memory. Each time I try to load the file via the "from exiting publication" I get the message "Windows is low on memory. save your work and close other programs before you continue working" (all programs are closed)! How much memory does Publisher 2003 require, or what is it's maximum file size capability? Turn off "script blocking" in Norton. Does this error occur in safe mode? Could be a printer driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office....

Protecting Folder
Hello, I'd like to create a folder on a Windows 2003 Business Server which is not accessible unless permission is explicitly granted to a user. It will be to hold an MS Access database backend. I have a folder now in which this is accomplished, but to do it, I created a Security Group, unchecked all of the permissions and denied List Folder Contents permission. This doesn't seem rational to me to have to specifically deny access. I asked a network guy if there was another way, and he said what I did was exactly right. I find it difficult to believe. Thanks for ...

Formulas in a criteria area
Can a formula be used in a criteria area when extracting data from a table in Excel 2007? ...

text disappears when typing into express or word
I can be typing something in word or Outlook Express and without my doing anything to cause it to happen, the text totally disappears and there's no recovering it. I have run computer scans and they come up with nothing.Also, this doesn't happen all the time, only once a day for a few hours. Any ideas? On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:21:33 -0800, va wrote: > I can be typing something in word or Outlook Express and without my doing anything to cause it to happen, the text totally disappears and there's no recovering it. I have run computer scans and they come up with nothing.Also, this...

Display specific area
Sorry, I MEANT to say that it does resemble page view EXCEPT that there are NO overlying page numbers, etc. ...

Module for searching multiple .doc files on multiple terms?
Hello All, Info on system setup: So I have an Access 2003 DB that is being used for career opportunities. This database sits behind my website where people can go to submit applications and upload their resumes in word.doc format. Every time a resume is upload it is place on a network drive that has a folder named "Resumes". This folder contains about 8500 files. My question... Is there any sort of method that can be used to do a search on all of these word.doc's using multiple criteria? I know that you can do a simple search using Windows that would be "on...

Opening an old Word document, date changed to current date
When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to the current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I am using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I can see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file, but I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date last modified for the file. Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code display and edit the DATE field code to read CREATEDATE. Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. The date displayed will be the date th...

Excel 2007, can't edit 2003 document
When I open the excel 2003 document in 2007 we cannot edit nor view any formulas in the formula bar, plus the ribbon is greyed out. The workbook is not protected with read only. What is going on? bermy;699744 Wrote: > When I open the excel 2003 document in 2007 we cannot edit nor view any > formulas in the formula bar, plus the ribbon is greyed out. The workbook is > not protected with read only. What is going on? Is the workbook protected inside excel? -- Dianne ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dianne's Profi...

copy data for match word from one file to another file
I need help to merge two files. Any help or macro will be highly appreciated. I have two files. file A and file B. Need to update FILE A from File B. Each file has hundred of rows and about 50 column. If any word or phrase under column "Part" file A matches with any word under column "Part" file b, then copy all the data of matching COLUMN "PART" and corresponding column "NAME" from file B to matching COLUMN "PART" AND corresponding column "NAME" FILE A. See example File A NAME ...

Problem to backup file area with DPM 2007
Hi I have a DPM 2007 sp1 installation that is protecting several servers one of the server that it is protection is a windows 2008 R2 file server. One of the partitions of the server containing a file area. The first backup is always OK but then it is always get “replica is inconsistent”. When performing a consistent check it getting the error message: Affected area: E:\ Occurred since: 2010-03-29 10:02:26 Description: The replica of Volume E:\ on SRVFILE01.vgc.se is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the r...

How to edit an AD Users Password Age
I am needing to test our Exchange OWA server and how it handles a user who's password is almost expired. Supposedly at 14 days until expiration, OWA will notify the user that they need to change their password. I figure that I can manually age a users password using the ADSIEdit utility but I do not know what to change. Any ideas? Thanks, Fred I think that it can be done by editing the value for pwdLastSet using a Base64Date using Robert Mueller's VBS code at http://www.rlmueller.net/ Thanks, Fred "Fred Yarbrough" <fcyarbrough@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

excel doc with hyperlinks
We have an excel document which includes hyperlinks to pdf files. The Excel doc and pdf files all reside on a network drive. Clicking the hyperlink opens the pdf file for most folks. Several are having trouble with this though..when they click on the hyperlink, a quick screen flash appears as if something may want to open, but then nothing opens. These folks have access to the network drive; as a matter of fact, if they open the folder on the network drive directly, they can open any and all of the pdf files. These are the same files that the hyperlinks are addressing. Users are runn...

How to Edit Hyperlink
I have a table with email address. When I click on it in the form it simply brings up my email client for a new email. I've tried using a right click command 'HyperlinkDisplayText' which is ok but it displays the email address twice in the text box. How do I edit the email address? James After it does fire up your email client if you click back on access that field should now be enabled to make a change. You can always create a button that clears that field. "JamesJ" wrote: > I have a table with email address. > When I click on it in the f...