How do I import a plain text file into a word worksheet?

I am using Word 2003. How do I import a plain text file into a data worksheet?

If the text file is delimited into records using a particular character -
see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels_into_mail_merge.htm
and jump in where your text file matches the illustrations.

If not, then explain exactly what you have and what you want to do with it.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"justneedtoknow" <justneedtoknow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Word 2003. How do I import a plain text file into a data
>worksheet?

0
Graham
6/4/2010 4:33:28 AM
And "worksheets" are an Excel thing rather than a Word thing.

On Jun 4, 12:33=A0am, "Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote:
> If the text file is delimited into records using a particular character -
> seehttp://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels_into_mail_merge.htm
> and jump in where your text file matches the illustrations.
>
> If not, then explain exactly what you have and what you want to do with i=
t.

> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - =A0Word MVP
>
> My web sitewww.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>
> "justneedtoknow" <justneedtok...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess=
age

> >I am using Word 2003. How do I import a plain text file into a data
> >worksheet?-
0
Peter

How can I email an excel file using my outlook contacts?
"cheflady" <cheflady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9C13E60-150D-4F03-B519-A8769F08CD0F@microsoft.com... > > <sigh> Please use the big white space to write your question........ exactly the same way you email ANY file..... go to file\send\mail recipient( as attachment) "Gordon" wrote: > "cheflady" <cheflady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:F9C13E60-150D-4F03-B519-A8769F08CD0F@microsoft.com... > > > > > > > <sigh> Please use the big white space to write you...

"Registered File Types" "Opens with" What if a common type is not "registered?" Advanced?
I sent a family member as short MPG file (<1MB) as an attachment to an e-mail. He could not open it. I told him to search for some other MPG file that might be on his HD, and see if it opened. He said the found file opened with Real Player. But it seems that there is no obvious way to choose which app opens an attachment. He and I apparently have different MPG-2 decoders, and trying to walk him thru it with my having what must be different versions of apps and utilities and plug-ins was a failure. So I phoned him and thought that I would have him set Windows Media Player ...

How to recover deleted files?
HELP!!! I messed up big time! I am running out of disk space on my laptop. I wanted to download a movie from UTorrent and was told I did not have enough space. I figured I would move some of my files onto a flash drive to free up space & then I would have room for the movie. Once I watched the movie, I was going to delete it. I share my laptop with my 3 children. There are 3 accounts on my laptop (my youngest child is 6, so he does not have his own account yet), mine and one each for my son and my daughter. I moved the "my documents" folder for both my children onto...

Special Pasting Quattro Pro 9 file as bitmap, how to manipulate now?
The only way I could find to get a Quattro Pro 9 file into Excel 2002, with gridlines and the exact diagram (property and house layout), was to copy and paste special it as a bitmap. Now that it's in Excel, I'd like to change some things in the diagram but the cursor, when over the copied part, shows as a 4 sided arrow (a compass rose with 4 arrows pointing to the N,S,E, and W.) and the actual cursor arrow attached to and on the SE part of this 4-sided arrow. This 4 sided arrow cursor can only move the copied part and nothing else . When I move the cursor off the copied part, it reve...

importing incredimail into outlook express
Is there a way, or an add-on. or a third party software to import Incredimail mail into outlook express mail ? ZZ Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted w...

change the text in the legend of a chart w/o changing pivot text
I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer, rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.) If I want to look at the age of new homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer. After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer 18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc. It's pretty self-explanatory that these are all "new homebuyers". I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown in the legend, but I can...

Archive from Inbox on Exchage Server to pst file
I am trying to execute the Auto Archive in a folder "INBOX" located in the Exchange Server, to a pst file located on the Hard Disk. The file "archive.pst" is created but the emails are not moved to the "INBOX" folder in the "archive.pst". How can I fix this problem? I am using the Windows 2000 with Outlook 2002 SP2 Autoarchive works on the "modified" date of the item - perhaps that's your issue. Rogerio wrote: > I am trying to execute the Auto Archive in a > folder "INBOX" located in the Exchange Server, to a pst &g...

Text Form Fields
Not sure if I have posted this in the right area, but here goes. I am more familiar with excel so working with forms in word is new to me. I have been tasked with developing a number of forms at work in Word 2003 for posting on our website. A guy who left, and is now not contactable, developed a whole range of forms before he left. He made sure the forms could be filled in online by inserting text editable fields for client use (both the 'greyed out' section and dotted lines can be seen when viewing and completing online and the dotted lines auto-delete as text is inserte...

What is the maximum no of bytes that can be stored in a excel file
what is the maximun of bytes that can be stored in a excel file I am trying to save records from another Quest TOOL called (TOAD) into MS- Excel. Please let me know. Eagerly waiting for your reply Thank -- prekid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- prekida's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2660 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39879 The limit on bytes depends on your computer's RAM. The max number of rows Excel can have is 65536 and the max number of columns is 256....

Conditional Formatting of Text...
....I know how to apply Conditional Formatting to cells containing numeric data; is it possible to apply it to cells where the result is textual? For example: =if(a1>=5000,"High","Low") In this instance, I would want to conditionally format this cell so that if the result is High, then the text should be bold and red. Thanks in advance. I'm using Excel 2002... Hi click on the cell choose format / conditional formatting choose cell value is equal to ="high" click the format button set your formatting click OK twice Regards JulieD "Birmangirl&quo...

How to assign a hot key to an existing macro in word 2007?
I saw how to attach a key to a macro when starting to record a new macro. But how do I attach it after one is created and working? Word Menu (or Button)>Word Options>Customize>Keyboard shortcuts "Customize" and choose the "Macros" category nixonian wrote: > I saw how to attach a key to a macro when starting to record a new > macro. But how do I attach it after one is created and working? I finally found the command "Customize Keyboard" using "Search Commands" menu item. I still have not found it in the standard ribbon...

How do I size a Word Document to 5 x 8 inches?
I'm trying to size a document in Word to fit book or pamphlet that is 5 x 8. But I'm having a terrible time. Is there a way to size a document in Word to this size? I have Word 2003. From the File Menu, select Page Setup and then go to the Paper tab and via the Paper size pulldown, select Custom and then insert the size of your sheet. Note however, that some printers have difficulty with "Custom Sized" paper and it may be necessary to use a standard size sheet in Word (8.5 x 11) and adjust the margins so that the print area coincides with the area on whic...

i need to have more text options in a running writting font
I have to format a logo from a hand written sign. The text "Script MT Bold" is quite acceptable but the 'f' needs to have a loop on the bottom not on the top. The dot above the 'i' needs to be round not square. Is there any way I can develop the text that I need or change the actual letters? I have done the work in 2003 Publisher. I use Brush Script MT and the letters are properly portrayed. The loop for the "f" is on the bottom and the dot over the "i" looks rounds. If I can be of help, send me a note to: dschmidt AT pacifier DOT com -...

How can I embed a file as an unopened object in a worksheet or wo.
I want ot place Word, pdf, and other documents into a spreadsheet as objects that can be opened by clicking the icon. Have you tried Insert|object Goat Boy wrote: > > I want ot place Word, pdf, and other documents into a spreadsheet as objects > that can be opened by clicking the icon. -- Dave Peterson ...

Changing data from imported .txt file
When i import data from an old (dos based) program negative numbers appear with the minus behind the number. Does anyone have any idea how i can change them all from 1,234.56- to -1,234.56 so Excel will recognise them? Changing them by hand takes forever. Thank you. If you're using xl2002+ and are using File|Open to open a text file, you'll see a wizard popup. On step 3 of that wizard, there's an advanced button. Click it. There's an option to treat trailing minus signs as negative numbers. If you already have the data in the worksheet, you can use... Dana DeLouis pos...

Why does Excel in XP create new files?
Excel adds duplicate files - Assist Log (2).xle, asssits Log (3).xls. Why? Can I make this stop. It appears all the files are identical - so if I just delete the extra files will I be losing any data? hi, I think this is something new in xl relating to thier file recovery during a GPF shutdown. but i keep getting it even without a GPF. when i save, excel will just up and ask me which file i want to save leaveing me sitting there asking "what do you mean which file. i only have one." it's getting anoying. >-----Original Message----- >Excel adds duplicate files - ...

2008: importing 2004 rules + database daemon
I just read further troubling news on Macfixit. They report that Entourage 2008 does not import Entourage 2004 Rules. I have probably over 100 rules, that is a major problem. Can anyone confirm this? Also, it appears there is no way to disable the Office notifications in 2008. Is this true? I hope MS will address these problems. I'd like to upgrade for the speed on my intel laptop, but so far it seems there are just too many problems. -- --Loren On 3/14/08 5:11 PM, in article 140320082011095607%loren@nonono2spam.com, "Loren" <loren@nonono2spam.com> wrote: > I ...

emf files
There are *.emf files with text in an excel worksheet that have inverted/mirrored letters. Okay indeed. What are emf files doing in an excel worksheet to begin with? These are a type of microsoft temp file. >-----Original Message----- >Okay. > >-- >Greeting from the Gulf Coast! >http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays >"Paul Osborne" <Paul.Osborne@halliburton.com> wrote in message >news:093301c34a17$c60f2390$a501280a@phx.gbl... >> There are *.emf files with text in an excel worksheet that >> have inverted/mirrored letters. > > &g...

Cant Transfer .pst file successfully.
Hi: I just got a new laptop and have been attempting to set up outlook on it (I am using a wireless network). I have copied the mailbox.pst file from my old system on to the laptop, but for some reason when I use file open on outlook it wont pick up the pst file and use it. Import and export wont work because they don't deal with .pst files it appears. Can someone suggest a good way to transfer the address book, especially from one system to the other? Thanks John Baker What do you mean File > Open "won't pick up the pst file?" Of course it will. How did you copy th...

Excel looking in wrong place for files
Hi, sometime ago I merged 2 partitions using PM8, and I was asked for a folder name, so I called My docs or something like that, and that folder was created on the said partition. Now when I go to open up a new file in excel it defaults to My Docs. So I formatted that partition changed all references in the Registry, rebooted and still excel is looking for new files in the wrong place. In fact the 'My Docs' folder no longer exists, so is there somewhere in Excel I can change its 'where to look' place? Thanks -- Bob H Leeds UK http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ContemporaryGifts4U...

Winmail.Dat Being Created On Plain Text Emails
I am running Outlook 2003 with all the updates and I am having a winmail.dat file created on every email that I send even the ones in Plain Text. Are there other settings that I need to make in Outlook to stop this from happening? Thanks. Rick Bellefond RB Data Services www.rbdata.com Try turning off Word as your e-mail editor to see if it stops. (See Tool > Options > Mail Format tab) If Word is off, go to Tools > Options > Mail Format tab > Internet Options. Make sure the dropdown in the middle of the dialog is not set to Outlook Rich Text. Check the e-mail address...

Excel 2002 File Extensions
I created a drawing in Excel 2002 and I want to be able to save it in a file extension such as .jpg, .gif or .png so I can use it in Dreamweaver MX2004. I do not see any way to SAVE AS any file at ALL in those file extensions. Am I NOT able to do that? and if not, WHY not? Thank you for your feedback. I am grateful. Richard... Just try to copy/paste it on power point, it have with the right-click the save as picture option. I was unable to find the option directly on excel, however as excel and power point are from microsoft, you should not lose anything when you paste in on PP....

text to fit in cell
How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able to print the page with all of the words in the cell even if it has to make the cell larger, without going over into the next cell. How do I do this? Hi goto 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'Wrap text' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany DaveB wrote: > How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able > to print the page with all of the words in the cell even > if it has to make the cell larger, without going over > into the next cell. How do I do this? Dave Format>Cells>Alignm...

Filtering out text with conditional formatting
hi there, I have a problem I need help with. I have a worksheet that has column with 13 digit long number in it. I want a formula (or is it conditional formatting) that will highligh the cell if the last 5 digits of the number are not �00000� The number is in text format and needs to stay that way� so I wa thinking there could be come way to examine the text .. I dunno� an ideas greatly appreciated� thanks -- bluebea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluebean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2595 View th...

can't copy text to new pub document
I am trying to copy entire pages from one Publisher 2007 doc to another. It will copy the text in some text boxes but not in others. I don't understand why this is happening. How do I get it to copy the entire page as is? I am using Ctrl A or Select All. Thank you. Oh, another thing to add: Even if I select only a single text box, it will not copy any text. "lindalou" wrote: > I am trying to copy entire pages from one Publisher 2007 doc to another. It > will copy the text in some text boxes but not in others. I don't understand > why this is happening. How d...