how do I get rid of formating symbols that show up in my document

Some strange marking are showing up in my word documents.  I think they are
some sort of format icons.   How do I get rid of them

http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JohnC" <JohnC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Some strange marking are showing up in my word documents.  I think they
> are
> some sort of format icons.   How do I get rid of them

2
JoAnn

More than 3 conditional formatting conditions?
I'm using Excel 2000, and I need to program a row of cells to tur certain colours based on 5 possible words being input in a given cell. So, basically: If V is in C1, I want that entire row to turn red If W is in C1, I want that entire row to turn blue, and so on for five (or six) different possibilities. Everything I've read says that every pre-2007 version of Excel onl allows three such conditions. Am I out of luck, or is there some wa around that -- ooda ----------------------------------------------------------------------- oodam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member....

Incorrect formatting opening .csv file in Excel
When opening a database generated .csv file with the following data: "1","10E-024","1" Excel opens it incorrectly formatting the text as a scientific number: 1 1.0E-24 1 If I save the file as .txt, and open in excel using the import wizard, I can specify that the column should be text, and the item code 10E-024 appears correctly. However this is far from ideal, as it relies on a manual step and the file cannot be saved as .csv again - otherwise the same fault happens next time the file it opened. Is there a way of forcing Excel to open .csv files in raw da...

Page Formatting Preferences Seem To Have Changed
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Using Word 2004 for Mac version 11.5.6 - For example, I cannot make one line align center with Georgia font and then drop a couple of lines and switch to left alignment and Arial font. Whatever change I make, whether what I am seeking to change is highlighted or not, the entire document changes. <br><br>This used to work fine so it seems like a preference must have changed but I can't figure out how to change it back. Really, really appreciate some advice! Thanks!! You have mistakenly enabled &qu...

get the username of the logged on user
I am creating a windows service which is running under Localsystem account. How can i find out the username of the currently logged in user. GetUserName() function returns "SYSTEM". Even the GetTempPath() function returns the path of systems temp directory. And every access to HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key gives me wrong information as the current user in such case is .Default Can anyone please tell me a way to find out the name of the logged in windows user??? The service has to run in system context so i cant change it. Thanks in Advance... "Rohit Kumar" <Roh...

Number Formatting #10
I have a user who's numbers in excel are defaulting to a decimal even if you format the cell for number zero decimal places. For example if she enters 15 it will enter .15. This happens on every excel document she opens and if you open the same documents on another PC they work fine. I have even tried to reinstall excel on the PC and it does not correct the Issue. Please help with suggestions. For a work around I have her entering 15. But that is an extra key stroke. Thanks go to Tools>Options>Edit and uncheck the option for Fixed Decimal Places "Shane" wrote: >...

Downloading Sales Literature
I have 1 sales rep who cannot download our sales literature in the correct format? If it's a PDF, DOC, PPT, etc when he does a right click and save target as the format is always HTML? This is not happening to any other users. I had him try from his laptop and then one of my Windows 2000 Terminal servers with the same results. I am running 1.2. Any ideas? I initially thought it was his toolbar add-ons for google, but disabling did not do the trick, and that was confirmed when he had the same problem on the terminal server. ...

Error Number: 0x800ccc0e when I try to get messages
Hello, I am a postmaster of our network and I am having some problems with Outlook 2000 and our pop3 server. The problem is that randomly, Outlook's users can not download their mail because they get the error number 0x800ccc0e when they try to send amd receive mail. We are using Microsoft Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) and our server is a Linux Debian running a 2.4.27 kernel. I have tried with ipop3d and in.qpopper as a pop3 daemons and with both I get the error. There is no firewall between them and this is the tcpdump capture from the server (our pop3 server runs at port 40110, bu...

How do I get around the MSVC++ Dialog Object Limit?
I am developing in MSVC++ .Net 2003, using MFC, building a realtime telemetry display. I have reached an object limit of 255, but need to add another 20+ objects. Is there a simple way to increase this limit? I am aware that I could possibly add more views or tabs, but that is not my first choice for this display as I would like all items visable at the same time. SpaceDust wrote: >I am developing in MSVC++ .Net 2003, using MFC, building a realtime telemetry >display. I have reached an object limit of 255, but need to add another 20+ >objects. Is there a simple way to increas...

Outlook 2002 Vcard attachment shows as a .msg file-opens but no information
I am receiving forwarded attachments as a Vcard file from a contact list. It shows up as an envelope on the attachment and as a .msg file. It opens but there is no information there other than a name. Is there a setting in Outlook that is incorrect or is this something to do with a setting in the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrative Rules. I have searched the knowledge base and cannot find any specific answers yet. Anyone have any feedback on this or the same problem? Help! Thanks. Carl ...

XML format of Visio Control....
Hi, Is there any way to get the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) without saving it physically in disk ? In other word is it possible to generate the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) for any change we do there without needing to save it in hdd ??? Thank You in advance. ...

how do i get "click on" in recieved e mails to work
WHEN I RECEIVE E MAILS WITH "CLICK ON" STATEMENTS TO GO TO SOME OTHER WEB SITE MY OUTLOOK JUST BRINGS UP A BLANK MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER PAGE AND GOES NO WHERE. WHAT SETTINGS DO I HAVE TO CHANGE TO CAUSE THE "CLICK ON" TO GO TO THE INTENDED WEB SITES. WJONES1122 <WJONES1122@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > WHEN I RECEIVE E MAILS WITH "CLICK ON" STATEMENTS TO GO TO SOME OTHER > WEB SITE MY OUTLOOK JUST BRINGS UP A BLANK MICROSOFT INTERNET > EXPLORER PAGE AND GOES NO WHERE. WHAT SETTINGS DO I HAVE TO CHANGE TO > CAUSE THE "CLICK ON...

How to convert a Publisher document for blind readers?
We're a church that uses Publisher to produce a weekly 4-page booklet that we print and distribute on Sunday. I'd like to email the document in advance to some blind congregants who have a text reader on their computer at home. When I convert the doc to plain text, the order of the text gets messed up. How can I convert the Publisher doc to a format easily read by text readers for the blind while maintaining the correct order of words? Thanks in advance for your help. Can the readers they use read .pdf files? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Mic...

Get rid of Double Space in Calendar Notes ??
When I cut and past test into calendar notes for an event the text is double spaced. I change the font but can never delete the blank line of the double space. How can this be cleared out ??? ...

OMA Problem Getting Desperate & Running out of Ideas
Hi I am looking to roll out OMA through my corp, but can't seem to solve this prob I am having with logging on I have been through the available papers and there none out there which apply to this or work for it I enabled OMA on my local Exchange 2003 box which is running Server 2000, the OMA directory in IIS contains the correct mailboxes. However when I connect through I.E6 to http://servername:port/oma, I seem to sucessfully logon, but then get then get blocked with a HTTP 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR page cannot be displayed screen. I also get this when I browse OMA through IIS. Though I...

Conditional Format #4
Hi, I've got some conditional formatting in some columns but not others. When I enter data in a row moving from one column to the next and I get to a column with no CF, Excel copies accros the CF from the previous column. Is this a 'Helpful' idea by Excel and if so can I turn it off? If it's not does anyone know how I can fix the columns with no conidtion to stay with the original formatting? Thanks Ian Try this: <Tools> <Options> <Edit> tab, And *UNCHECK* "Extend list formats and formulas". -- HTH, RD ===============================...

Getting Compaq to Boot With 4 Gig Memory
We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed. Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that. It looks like the BIOS of various cards might be locking up part of the first 640 KB of memory? Can anyone give some advice on how to get Windows to get use of the full 4GB of memory? -- W On Mar 9, 7:40=A0pm, "W" <persistent...@spamarrest.com> wrote: > We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed. > Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that. = =A0 It > looks like...

Empty cells showing that they are default formated to "Date"
I created a spead sheet with one column set as a date the first to the end of the month. The other columns have various in text and accounting info. If I click on a empty cell it show in the format section on the bar the the cell is set up to have a date entry. This is all over the page. Can any one tell me why this is happening? -- Fred You can correct that by setting the formating for the other columns. Simply click on the column(s) then right click and select Format cells, or select the column(s) then go to Format and then Cells. In the selection list choose any option bes...

Why pEnumIDList->Next get "My docs" twice?
Hi, I call pEnumIDList->Next to emun all items under desktop. Part of my code is like below: while ((pEnumIDList->Next(1, &pID, &nReturned) != S_FALSE) && (nReturned == 1)) { pSpecialFolder->GetDisplayNameOf(pID, SHGDN_NORMAL, &Sret); StrRetToString(Sret, name); pSpecialFolder->GetDisplayNameOf(pID, SHGDN_FORPARSING, &Sret); StrRetToString(Sret, path); } In first round, name is "My docs"...

showing only unique records
I have two databases linked, one keeps basic client information (name, DOB, address, etc.), the other keeps track of client's visit date and purchases. I want to display a list of clients that made purchases within a given date range, regardless of number of purchases made. With the simple query view, somehow I end up displaying one row for each client's purchase(s), i.e. if the client made 10 purchases in the date range, then I see 10 entries displayed for such, when I only want to see that client's name shown once. Is there a quick way to avoid displaying the duplication? If ...

How to get more glue on a lifeline?
In a sequence diagram, I have an object with a long lifeline, more than 20 inches. It seems that at some point, those blue glue points on the lifeline no longer appear. This is a bug or a "feature" in Visio? Is there anyway to get an indefinite number of glue points. Did you try increasing the magnification or a screen refresh? It does help in some cases. Sandeep -- http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Sequence Diagrams and Use Cases in PDF None of the is that problem. Basically, if I expand an item beyond about 20 inches, the blue glue marks just...

help, derag won't work and the outlook folder shows 36000 fragmnets
defragmented and the program works fine but when it finishes it looks the same on the as the original analysis. Then I look at the report and it list a lot of files that can't be drfragmented. The only thing I can think of is that this pc was once on MSexchange (the reason I mention it is that the outlook pst which is 1.8 gigs, shows 36000 fragments and it is located in the c/exchange folder) Anyway, what do I do??? how can I get the drive to defrag? Hello Bob When you open IE\Properties\Programs what do you see in there under E-Mail box. Use the dropdown arrow and take a peek on ...

how do i show figures as words?
I'm sure I've seen a spreadsheet where a number was entered into a cell, and there was another cell which must have contained a formula to show that figure in words (eg. for writing a cheque), does anybody out there know how to do this? It's probably really simple!! Cheers Carolyn See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "Carolyn" <Carolyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89E0BBB2-F03E-4383-8BA1-3F0F40AA52AB@microsoft.com... > I'm sure I've seen a spreadsheet where a number was entered into a ce...

Inserting a Word document as an Excel Sheet
Is it possible to insert a Word document as a sheet contained in an Excel workbook? If not, is it possible to link a Word document to an Excel spreadsheet and then preserve those links when the Excel spreadsheet is Saved As something else without having to re-link everything in Word? Insert / Object / Create from File Tab / Browse to File & then decide whether you want it to display as just an icon or as a document (Those two options are bottom right of the dialog box). Choose Document and the first page of your doc willa ppear in the Excel file. Double click it and you will be able...

How to get a programming job?
I know this is an awkward question but I am just stumped! I am presently a College student at Devry University Online. I am working towards my Bachelors in Computer Information Systems. I have a 4.0 GPA, Dean's List Award & President's List Award. I have already graduated from College America with my Associates Degree in Computer Programming, with similar achievements as those listed above and was a College America valedictorian. Yet none of that helps me because every programming job I run across on Dice & CareerBuilder require at least 1 year industry experience ...

Format a date
I have a column of dates - 8 digit, no slashes - example: 02032003 02052003 etc. I want to have them display 02/03/2003. When I go to format-cell-date-3-14-1998, I either get ########### (and the column is plenty wide enought for the new date to fit) or I get some really bizarre numbers - 02012003 is converted to 9/3/7408. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks! Kathie, If you want to use date formatting, your dates must be Excel date-time serial numbers. Yours aren't. See www.cpearson.com for details on how that works. You can convert your "dates" to real XL dates with...