How do I delete an unwanted dotted line in the middle of my text.

I can't delete it. I didn't put it in, it just appeared. I can't even select
it. In Borders and tables, it doesn't show that anything is there. What is
this and how can I get rid of it?

-1

What version of Word are you using?

Is the line horizontal or vertical?

If it's horizontal, does it extend all the way across the page or just from
the left to the right margin?

I'm assuming that it's not a section break, column break, or page break,
since those are identified, at least in recent versions of Word. They can
also be deleted.

Does the line print?

Does the line toggle on/off when you press Ctrl+Shift+8?

If you copy that document and paste it into a new document, does the dotted
line appear in the new document?

The most frequent cause of lines suddenly appearing is the AutoFormat as You
Type feature. When that happens, you can usually get rid of them by pressing
Ctrl+Z (Undo) immediately. If you don't get rid of them immediately, then
you usually need to select the paragraph immediately before or after the
line and set borders to No Borders. It's often difficult to determine which
paragraph such a line is associated with, but it's usually the paragraph
immediately above the line. The fact that it's a dotted line, however, makes
me think that it's not an automatic border.

If you'd like, you can email me a copy of the document and I can take a
look. If so, send to herb at herbtyson dot com.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"CJBauder" <CJBauder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can't delete it. I didn't put it in, it just appeared. I can't even
> select
> it. In Borders and tables, it doesn't show that anything is there. What is
> this and how can I get rid of it?

0
Herb
1/25/2010 10:52:27 PM
Does it show in Print Preview? Does is appear when printed on paper?
-TedMI

"CJBauder" <CJBauder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't delete it. I didn't put it in, it just appeared. I can't even
>select
> it. In Borders and tables, it doesn't show that anything is there. What is
> this and how can I get rid of it?

0
TedMi
1/25/2010 10:54:32 PM
For cause, cure, and prevention, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm

If it's not a border, could it be a soft page break?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"CJBauder" <CJBauder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't delete it. I didn't put it in, it just appeared. I can't even
>select
> it. In Borders and tables, it doesn't show that anything is there. What is
> this and how can I get rid of it?

0
Suzanne

Be able to cancel quantities without deleting the SOP-POP link
I would like the ability when invoicing to cancel some of the quantity ordered without having to delete the SOP-POP link. It would be nice for it to be set up so you can cancel some of the quantity on the purchase order invoice and have it flow down to the sales order since you have a link. Thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microso...

How do I create a field that has multiple lines for entering order
I am creating a requisition form for ordering supplies and services that has fields for item no, description, quantity, etc. and a lot of blank fields as well. I need the blank lines that aren't used to be on the phone when printing as this is a standard company form. How do i get the blank lines to be there? the "on the phone" part of your sentance is a little baffling.... presuming you want to print blank lines...the key is not to print a form. you want to print a Report. so leave the form as it is.... make a Report that looks like the form but has the blank lines....

error when deleting mailbox in exchange 55
Hi, i am having problems when trying to delete a mailbox in my exch 55. i receive the error c1040af4. does anybody know how to solve it? ...

One Line of Data Per Page of Report
When viewing/printing reports reports we are only getting one line of data per page. So instead of having a 5 page report with 60 entires we have a 60 page report with 1 entry per page. Is there an easy way to solve this probelm? We are not very familar with access and need this problem solved. Thanks! On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:07:03 -0800, Coutu <Coutu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When viewing/printing reports reports we are only getting one line of data >per page. So instead of having a 5 page report with 60 entires we have a 60 >page report with 1 entry per pag...

Help in my VB Code .. to Delete
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0089_01C34629.B378D5B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable hi,=20 I have been trying to solve this problem since morning, and haven't = really come up with a solution. it is frustrating. please help. =20 i have a datagrid and got a delete column =20 <asp:datagrid id=3D"dgdocument" runat=3D"server" = AutoGenerateColumns=3D"False" EnableViewState=3D"True" = OnDeleteCommand=3D"DeleteCommand"> <Columns&...

Set of Dialogs -Delete Any Dialog at Runtime-Organize Pos
Hai I Have set of Dialogs created a Runtime and those are placed sequentially in a postion by using SetWindowPos and now i want to delete a Dialog using close button associated with that Dialog which is placed at a Position the Dialog Order shoulnd rearrange automatically and is there any way to do that Thanks and Regards Mike SetWindowPos. Uusually if you have a set of dialogs there is an application window of some sort associated with the application. What I would do is have the dialog's close handler post a message indicating the dialog had closed, then...

Make Publisher default font and line spacing preferences availabl.
When bringing a mixture of text and graphics (in an ad for example) into one publisher file from another publisher file, publisher automatically changes the font of the imported box to Perpetua and changes the line spacing to 5.96 or something. I am assuming there is a way for this NOT to happen but I can't find it and it's not obvious in any of the help menus. ...

Conditional formatting of text
Greetings, all - I am creating a simple spreadsheet template to be distributed to users for data entry purposes. The first column contains the names of the desired data elements. The second column contains the definition for each data element. The definitions are formatted in red text. I intend for the user to remove the definition and replace it with the proper information for each element. For example: Data Element Definition 1.0 LastName The last name of the person to whom questions about the sample should be directed. The user would replace ...

fonts are changing and text disappears
Hello when i open outlook 2003 all my maps on the left side of the screen are looking well and normal. But after a wile the font changed or a piece of the name/text disappear. Very stange i think. When i close outlook and turn it back on, everyting is back to normal but not for long. ...

Tutorial on line available?
Need to learn this fast. Is there an on line tutorial (free, of course) that I may use? Thanks in advance There are quite a few general ones, here's one: http://www.itts.ttu.edu/documentation/excel/excel2/exceltxti.html also, there are a lot of sites with useful information. John Walkenbach has a good list here: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/links/ HTH tim "Semudemu" <Semudemu@aol.com> wrote in message news:03e201c34bd7$e55c9e50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Need to learn this fast. Is there an on line tutorial > (free, of course) that I may use? > Thanks in advance &...

resize all rows in the spreadsheet to fit the text?
I have an existing spreadsheet created by another user. Some of the rows are not automatically sized to display all text. Is there a command to resize all rows in the spreadsheet to fit the text? thanks email: softwaretest underscore 2003 at hotmail Church lady, try Ctrl a, to select the whole sheet, then format, row, autofit -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "the church lady" <tcl@mail.com&g...

Hotkeys for text & background coloring
Hi. Does anyone know the hotkeys for text coloring (font color) & background coloring (fill color)? Eg: First you need to select the font color & fill color in the related toolbar incons. - When I highlight "I am great", then press "Ctrl+O" for example, the text will be colored as what it's displayed in the "font color" toolbr icon. - The simliar way applies to background coloring If the above is not available, any workaround is still apreciated. -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP You could use a sma...

Can't display all text in cell
I'm trying to display text in a cell. I've got Wrap Text on, and I hav several paragraphs of text. All of it appears in the formula bar, bu not in the cell displayed on the screen. And yes, I increased the ro height, but it still doesn't show. Any ideas? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am having the same problem. Apparantly there is a 1024 character limitation per cel in excel. The only advice I have received so far, which does work, is to press alt+enter to create a line break. If you find another work around, I would be interested. Hi besid...

Missing Text in emails replied to via Lotus Notes
I use Outlook 2003 to create emails. Using either plain text or html format, when I send the email to a colleague who uses Lotus Notes, and they hit reply to the email type their response. I do not receive or read any of their text in the incoming mail in Outlook. If I use an alternative Email client such as Pegasus, I can read their text. What can I do to fix this, how can I get the missing text back from within Outlook, without getting them to re-create a new email with their response? I think that I have solved this. I think that when the option to remove blank lines is ticked. Ou...

Creating a summary page without blank lines
I have a project where I need to determine if the billing for supplemental charges for employees matches what is actually deducted from the employee's pay check. I just started this position and what I am working with is a separate spreadsheet for each month's bill. What I have done so far is to create a spreadsheet with a tab for each month that just has the supplemental information being billed for in the left most columns and what was deducted from each paycheck in the columns to the right, a tab that lists employee names and employee numbers, and a summary page that lists...

VBA to suppress a specifc line item in SOP Grid
I am looking for a way to suppress one line item on the sales transaction entry window. My example is, if there are 12 line items entered on a sop order then the order is saved. If a users goes back to that order I would like to display all line items except a single line that has a specific item number (for example “Z-DUMMY”). ------=_NextPart_0001_444A8341 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Drial This is possible using Dexterity or VBA (Visual Basic for Applications). In Dexterity you can use a SQL Where clause or a reject record command in the LINE_FILL scri...

Email deletion over X amount of time for subfolders
I'm trying to configure the mailbox manager so it cleans out everyone's mailbox once a week for emails that are over a year old. I had no problem with cleaning out the Inbox, but none of the emails in the subfolders are deleted. I selected 'All Other Mail Folders' option, but that didn't work. Anyone know how to go about doing this or having this same problem? Thanks, John ...

TEXT STATUS -VS- Numbers
We have name of projects with 8 different status. We want to create a chart with the name of the project on the X axis and text status on the Y axis. Can this be done and if so how. Please help DDBeards If you assign numbers 1-8 for each status, you can then hide the 1-8 axis labels, and add custom ones: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ DDBeards wrote: > We have name of projects with 8 different status. We want to cre...

Suppres Zero or empty Cell value in a line graph
Hi I'm using Office 2007. I have two charts using data from the same sheet. The second graph is a copy of the first. In the first graph, the empty and zero value cells are not displayed. In the second graph, the zero value cells is displayed (draged to zero) although the option "connect points with line" is checked. The strange thing: if I change the Y-data to another part of the sheet, it is no longer dragged to zero. Even if the cell is empty it's still dragged to zero A formula that returns "" is not an empty cell, it's a formula (or it's a small ...

Can I make a table flow like a text box story?
Does anyone know of a way to allow a table to act similar text block story. I would like to snake a long data table into two columns over several pages. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, This is not at all possible. A Table will not move across pages. -- Thanks -- It would be a great feature -- but I couldn't find a way to do it either. BTW -- neither PM or Quark allow this either. >-----Original Message----- >This is not at all possible. > >A Table will not move across pages. > >-- > > >. > You can create a work around for this problem by...

Add lines to a renewed contract
Whenever I try to add a new contract line while renewing a contract (ie the customer has purchased an item during the year and the contract template is coverage dates), the system rejects the new line with "invalid coverage dates". Doesnt seem to matter what dates are entered. Please advise how to add new lines while renewing a contract. Thanks Prue ...

Deleting a store from HQ #2
We have a customer that bought a 24 store HQ license and set up 25 stores, and now his HQ won't work because he has to many stores. How would I go about deleting a store to fix this situation? Any help would be appreciated. LAllison wrote: > We have a customer that bought a 24 store HQ license and set up 25 stores, > and now his HQ won't work because he has to many stores. How would I go > about deleting a store to fix this situation? Any help would be appreciated. You can delete the 25° stores from databases via sql .. cod How would I delete just one of them?...

Unable to delete group
I am tidying up some unused Email account groups. They all deleted OK except one. I'm in the "Send/Receive Groups" dialogue, when I hit the Remove button with this particular group I get the message: "You cannot remove the selected send/Receive Group." I can't see anything special about this group. I've tried deselecting the Email accounts within the group so it contains no active accounts at all but I still get the message. Anyone know how I can delete this group? BTW this is Outlook 2003. TIA. --Doug. ...

Recovering a mailbox from a deleted storage group
The lawyers are on my back ... They want a copy of one of my user's mailbox from a year ago ... The problem is, I have moved all the mailboxes to new stores and new storage groups a couple of months ago ... the user still exists ... can anyone point me to a reference that can help me (especially one that can get me out of this ...) oh yeah , exchange 2003/sp1 thanks Mike p.s. we are going to purchase a journaling solution so that we are not bothered with this in the future ...(and we are making the lawyers pay for it ..) Do you have backups? Try creating a new Storage Group wit...

Help Everything is gone. It's all been deleted.
I went on excel last on Dec 5th and I saved before exiting as usual. When I opened the file today everything was gone. There is nothing there. The file it's saved as is still there but it's a new page. I don't know what to do. I need that information. HELP! Are you sure you opened the same workbook? What do you mean by "page"? Excel has pages only when you print. Do you mean a blank worksheet? Are there any other worksheets available or just the one blank one? Did you create a backup of the workbook when you saved? If you "need" the inf...