How Do I Copy A List Of Filenames Into A Word Document?

I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?

See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
site.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
> names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?

0
Graham
4/22/2010 2:13:41 PM
Many Thanks,
One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?

Many Thanks again,

TOFFA

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
> site.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?
>

> .

Another possibility is to open a command line window, do an old-fashioned
DIR *.DOC (or whatever...), select with the mouse, copy to the clipboard,
paste into Word, and [finally] trim the unneeded bits. While this sounds
complicated, it took me less than 30 seconds.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

> Many Thanks,
> One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
> cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?
>
> Many Thanks again,
>
> TOFFA
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
>> site.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste
>> >the
>> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this
>> > task?
>>

>> .

0
Herb
4/22/2010 6:53:35 PM
In news:%23Szf%23Xi4KHA.5548@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Graham Mayor <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> typed:
> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download
> from my web site.
>

> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>> I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to
>> copy and paste the names of the files only into a WORD
>> document. How do I go about this task?

Select the window to copy, Use ALT-PrtScrn to put it into the clipboard,
crop using Paint is you so desire, and paste it into your document. That's
the easiest and fastest way without using anything external to XP. PrntScrn
button by itself sends the whole desktop to the clipboard, ALT-PrtScrn just
the active window.

Or, if you insist it be text instead of an image:
============
From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379:
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP This
article was previously published under Q321379

On This Page
INTRODUCTION
MORE INFORMATION

Windows XP
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
Step 2: Create a new action for file folders
Step 3: Edit the registry
Windows Vista or Windows 7
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
Step 2: Edit the registry

INTRODUCTION
This article describes how to add the Print Directory feature for folders in
Win...
This article describes how to add the Print Directory feature for folders in
Windows XP, in Windows Vista, or in Windows 7. After you follow the steps
that are described in the "More Information" section, you can right-click a
folder and then click Print Directory Listing to print a directory listing
of the contents of a folder.

MORE INFORMATION
Windows XP Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat fileTo do this, follow these
steps: C...
Windows XP
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
Paste the following text into Notepad:
@echo off
dir %1 /-p /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
del "%temp%\Listing"
exit
On the File menu, click Exit, and then click Yes to save the changes.
In the Save As dialog box, type the following text, and then click Save:
%windir%\Printdir.bat
Step 2: Create a new action for file folders
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

Or, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click
Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, click File Folder.
Click Advanced, and then click New.
In the Action box, type Print Directory Listing.
In the Application used to perform action box, type printdir.bat.
Click OK.
Click OK two times, and then click Close.
Step 3: Edit the registry
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and
restore the registry in Windows

After you follow the steps in the previous sections, Search Companion may
start when you double-click a folder instead of the folder being opened. Or,
if you have associated other actions with file folders, those actions may be
performed instead.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor.
Locate the Default value under the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
In the Value data box, type none.
Click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.
===========

A Google search for         xp print directory listing              will get
you many useful links, starting rght on the first page!  Google (or your
favorite search engine) is GREAT for looking up solutions quickly.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne
4/22/2010 7:59:39 PM
Contact me via the link on the home page of my web site and I'll e-mail it,
but will your company system allow you to install it?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Many Thanks,
> One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
> cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?
>
> Many Thanks again,
>
> TOFFA
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
>> site.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste
>> >the
>> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this
>> > task?
>>

>> .

0
Graham

Word 2004 overriding global prefs
Okay.. PMG5 running 10.4.6. I have a problem with the default page setup settings in two limited user accounts (my own, admin account, is fine). As I am in the UK, the global default paper size is set to A4. All applications respect this - bar Word. Every time it's fired up, and a new document selected, the paper size is always US Letter. This does NOT affect any other Office application. I have tried trashing prefs - I've even removed (using the supplied removal tool) and reinstalled Office. My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She wouldn't ...

printing multiple copies of Sigel GmbH

opening a .docx with word 2004

Macro

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

copy chart from Excel to Powerpoint

Copy and close code
Hi, I have a worksheet which uses an indirect formula to search through a series of files/sheets based on an address to return a value from cell AE20. Once the data has been copied for all the previous days I would like a copy/paste values to occur to replace any of the values returned by the formula. In AU10:AU381 there is a 1 or 0 for each row. 1 meaning that a copy/pastevalues can be performed (decided by if the date is < today), and zero if i need to keep the formulas. Is it possible to have a copy/paste values code for only sheets 2-4 which works when the file is...

Changing the words "Sales Receipt" to "Invoice"
I cannot find how to change the word at the top right of our Sales document to read "Invoice" rather than "Sales Receipt". We bill out as a receivable for most of our goods and there seems to be some confusion with our customers. Thanks in advance for your help. -- Ron Moore Changing Sales Order to Invoice There is a receipt variable called "Transaction.ReceiptTransactionName" (in <SUB name="PrintTransactionType"> of receipt.xml)which returns the "default" name for the transaction based on it's type. You can replace this w...

Format List Box!

Exchange 2007 CCR after reseeding storage group copies
We have an Exchange 2007 CCR cluster that sits on two Windows Server 2008 Enterprise nodes. Due to problems with one node, I evicted it from the cluster and rebuilt it, reinstalling Exchange using the custom / install passive node setup. I used 'Update Storage Group Copy' (with the option selected to 'Delete any existing log files in the target path') to reseed the active databses. It seemed to go OK, and the storage groups status in the Database Management window became 'healthy'. However, when I tried to move the clustered mailbox server on to the new node f...

distibution list / updating
when we update our contacts how can we get outlook to update our distribution lists at the same time. What do you mean exactly? Can you give an example? Also what version of Outlook are you using? T. >-----Original Message----- >when we update our contacts how can we get outlook to >update our distribution lists at the same time. >. > That's what the Update Now button is for. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "wayne" <wayne@anandasacramento.org> wrote in message news:05ba01c3d4be$e83a5e80$a301280a@phx.gbl... > when we update our contacts how can we g...

List the UNIQUE certain fields from the database
Dear Experts, Please help related to the above subject. From this discussion, got the following formula which is work well and faster for small of database. =OFFSET($G$1,MATCH(0,MMULT(--TRANSPOSE(TRANSPOSE(DATA)=I$1:I1),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW()-1))/ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW()-1))),0)-1,0,1,1) where $G$1, the first row of DATA. how to convert it to VBA as this time i have a huge database. for Tab Data, Advanced, Unique Record only (works well also, but i need the VBA). basically we would like to do similar like this: Data Sample Vendor Name A B...

Print a list of movies
I have a spreadsheet with 2 columns (No and Name of Movie). There are 322 rows. I would like to print this so that I have the first 44 rows on the left side of the page and the next 44 rows on the right side of the page. I would like to keep this setup on all pages. These cells have color formatting and numbers that I need to keep with each cell. How do I do this? -- Terri Sprague www.tlsprague.com Hi Teri, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/...

Setting up Word to automatically open in Standard mode, zoom=page margins
I've tried to find ways to handle this through the normal.dot file and can't find it... Word wants to open in layout mode and 200% zoom, forcing me to manually select mode and zoom. Any way to get Word to do what I want instead of what it wants? Thanks for your time. ===== Edward Lipsett Fukuoka, Japan Hi Edward: Word will open each document in the view and zoom it as last saved in. The onyl way to have a particular view happen every time is to create an AutoOpen() macro that specifies the view you want. Turn on your Macro Recorder and record yourself setting the view and zo...