Help with sorting needed

Hi, deserately need your help,
I have this huge files that have lists and on those lists some items begin
with a letter and other begin with an asterisk, like this:
first sentence
*first sentence
second sentence
*second sentence
third sentence
*third sentence

I would like to move all the items that begin with an asterisk to the end of
the list without any additional sorting, I mean the sentences shouldn't be
further sorted by letters, like this:
first sentence
second sentence
third sentence
*first sentence
*second sentence
*third sentence

I hope somebody will help me out here,
thanx in advance,
Arthur

This should be possible. Perhaps someone more comfortable with wildcards can
point out what I'm doing wrong. It should be possible to use the Find dialog
as follows:

1. Check the box for "Highlight all items found."

2. Check the box for "Use wildcards."

3. Type \**^13 in the "Find what" box.

4. Click "Find All."

5. Click on the document title bar to return focus to the document without
deselecting the selected items.

6. Cut the selected items.

7. Paste at the end of the document.

The only problem is that, although Word will find \* (an asterisk), * (any
number of characters), and ^13 (a paragraph break) individually, when they
are all put together, Word does not find any items matching "this criteria."

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"ArthurN" <ArthurN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, deserately need your help,
> I have this huge files that have lists and on those lists some items begin
> with a letter and other begin with an asterisk, like this:
> first sentence
> *first sentence
> second sentence
> *second sentence
> third sentence
> *third sentence
>
> I would like to move all the items that begin with an asterisk to the end
> of
> the list without any additional sorting, I mean the sentences shouldn't be
> further sorted by letters, like this:
> first sentence
> second sentence
> third sentence
> *first sentence
> *second sentence
> *third sentence
>
> I hope somebody will help me out here,
> thanx in advance,
> Arthur

0
Suzanne
5/25/2010 5:29:24 PM
try this:

3. Type \*(*)^13 in the "Find what" box.

Pam

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>This should be possible. Perhaps someone more comfortable with wildcards can
>point out what I'm doing wrong. It should be possible to use the Find dialog
>as follows:
>
>1. Check the box for "Highlight all items found."
>
>2. Check the box for "Use wildcards."
>
>3. Type \**^13 in the "Find what" box.
>
>4. Click "Find All."
>
>5. Click on the document title bar to return focus to the document without
>deselecting the selected items.
>
>6. Cut the selected items.
>
>7. Paste at the end of the document.
>
>The only problem is that, although Word will find \* (an asterisk), * (any
>number of characters), and ^13 (a paragraph break) individually, when they
>are all put together, Word does not find any items matching "this criteria."
>
>> Hi, deserately need your help,
>> I have this huge files that have lists and on those lists some items begin
>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
>> thanx in advance,
>> Arthur

Pamelia
5/25/2010 6:00:27 PM
Ah, yes. Works like a charm. Thanks, Pam.

Arthur: Follow the instructions I provided in my post, using the search term
Pam has provided, and you should be able to accomplish what you're looking
for.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" <u43222@uwe> wrote in message
> try this:
>
> 3. Type \*(*)^13 in the "Find what" box.
>
> Pam
>
> Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>>This should be possible. Perhaps someone more comfortable with wildcards
>>can
>>point out what I'm doing wrong. It should be possible to use the Find
>>dialog
>>as follows:
>>
>>1. Check the box for "Highlight all items found."
>>
>>2. Check the box for "Use wildcards."
>>
>>3. Type \**^13 in the "Find what" box.
>>
>>4. Click "Find All."
>>
>>5. Click on the document title bar to return focus to the document without
>>deselecting the selected items.
>>
>>6. Cut the selected items.
>>
>>7. Paste at the end of the document.
>>
>>The only problem is that, although Word will find \* (an asterisk), * (any
>>number of characters), and ^13 (a paragraph break) individually, when they
>>are all put together, Word does not find any items matching "this
>>criteria."
>>
>>> Hi, deserately need your help,
>>> I have this huge files that have lists and on those lists some items
>>> begin
>>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
>>> thanx in advance,
>>> Arthur

Suzanne

How do I send help link....?
Hi! How can I send a link that takes the person to the help file on their machine...of course I'm assuming that we all have the same Office suite installed and that the location of my help files are the same as the other persons. Am I clear? TIA Raymond ...

HELP scanpst.exe fails
Outlook 2000 fails to open and recommends running the inbox repair tool. When running the tool it fails and gives the following error message: An error has occurred which caused the scan to stop. No changes have been made to the scanned file. The .pst file is 1.96 GB. The mail is downaloaded from our ISP, so it resides only on the .pst. We need to resolve this problem ASAP. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance, Emjay Your .PST file is dangerously close to the 2GB limit. If scanpst.exe isn't working, you may need to use the crop tool. Look here for the information you need to hopefull...

Need message box to be at front of screen
Greetings all. I have set a timer on a form which has a message box that pops up at defined intervals telling the user they are still being timed. The problem is that if they are using another application with access minimized, the message box is not visible until they minimize all other applications that are on top of it. Is there a way to make the message box show on top of all other open applications? I am using Access 2003 with XP Pro. Thank you. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com If you are using the Access application to pop up an Access messagebox, I ...

Query Sort problem!
I am sorting a column by ascending, so how can I get the blank records/field to the bottom, so as I have ascending then blanks,seem to recall something about a flag???.....Thanks for any help...Bob In query design view, insert a new column to the *left* of the one you are sorting on, and enter this in the Field row: ([MyField] Is Null) Replace MyField with your field name. In the Sorting row under this choose Descending. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at...

Array Sort and/or Index problem
Using XL 2000 Frank helped me with the following formula which works fine for the small table(s) below it. Purpose: to get data from sheet1 to sheet2 from rows to columns. =IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$10,SMALL(IF(Sheet1! $A$1:$A$10=$A10,ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10)),COLUMN()- 3))),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$10,SMALL(IF(Sheet1! $A$1:$A$10=$A10,ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10)),COLUMN()-3))) (Sheet 1) (Sheet 2) Row Col-> A B Row Col->A D E F 4 Data 1 aa 10 Data 4 5 Data 2 bb 11 Data 1 aa cc ee 6...

Sorting while protected
This is a repost. I got the Subject line wrong. Sorry for any confusion. We are working in Excel OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional System Manufacturer Dell Inc. System Model Precision WorkStation T5400 Microsoft Excel version 11.8320.8221 (Excel 2003 of Office Professional Edition 2003) We are trying to sort and filter protected cells. In the Protect dialog, we have currently highlighted Select locked cells, Select unlocked cells, Sort, and Use AutoFilter before protecting the sheet. Of course, we have tried many things to make it work. The problem is, Auto...

Can Anyone Help me?
Hi, I'm new to Pub 2003. I am creating an advert. I have used the rectangular 'auto-shape' and filled it with a transparent fade to black. Ofcourse it is very important that it is transparent, but when I come to print it, it appears as a solid rectangle. Does anyone know how to change this and basically print how you see it on the screen?? Many thanks, Ben Publisher has always had problems with transparency. Create your auto-shape with your preferred transparency. Right-click, save as picture. Choose .png. Re-insert into your publication. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mv...

outlook express frozen HELP!
when I click to reply to a sender, the reply box never pops up and outlook express becomes frozen so i do ctrl, alt delete and it says its not responding so i end task and try to reopen and it says outlook is still running i dunno how to fix this.....please help sophie ...

Pivot Table Sort 03-05-10
Hi I'm trying to sort a pivot table but it'll only let me sort on the first column, I need to sort it on the third, please can anyone help? Hi You will need to drag your 3rd Field to the 1st position in the row Area of the PT. -- Regards Roger Govier jen2018 wrote: > Hi > > I'm trying to sort a pivot table but it'll only let me sort on the first > column, I need to sort it on the third, please can anyone help? ...

Resolve Case, Resolution Type Field (Need more options)
I need to add more options to the Resolution Type Field (There is only the PROBLEM SOLVED option) and i can't find where , It seems to be a Pickup list but the form Resolve Case and its fields do not appear anywhere, Please let me know how can i do this if somebody knows it.... -- cB - Thanks in advance I'm having the same issue! "cB" wrote: > I need to add more options to the Resolution Type Field (There is only the > PROBLEM SOLVED option) and i can't find where , It seems to be a Pickup list > but the form Resolve Case and its fields do not appear...

i need your help
i am providing you with my problem with an excel attachment file please reply me asap. Attachment filename: help me.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=463626 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi I would suggest using Data / Filter / AutoFilter. This is a very simple yet effective way of doing what you want. If you need to create separate 'tables' you can use the Advanced Filter Andy. "mangesh >" <<mangesh.12lfkr@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mangesh.12lfkr@e...

VBA editor & help
Is there any way to keep the VBA window from re-sizing when help is used? I can start help, resize the editor, ALT-TAB to help and the editor shrinks again. Excel 2K. Thanks, Mike If you are comfortable modifying the system registry with RegEdit (remember, there are no "undo" or "save without changes" operations with the registry -- everything is live), you can add a new DWORD value named "IsFloating" and give it a value of 1. Create this value in the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\HelpViewer Restart Excel after you create the Is...

Outlook Help #11
I am running outlook express 5 for mac. I would like to no how to put a graphic in with my signature. What kind of file and how to import it in. Thanks for any help!! PrePress <art@graphiccraft.com> wrote: > I am running outlook express 5 for mac. > I would like to no how to put a graphic in with my signature. > What kind of file and how to import it in. > Thanks for any help!! Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Help with CInternetSession
Hey everyone, hoping someone can give me a hand here as this seems a little backwards to me. Basically I am writing an application that uploads a file to my webserver (a static IP) using CInternetSessions and CFtpConnection. Now I've included the code I'm using below to illustrate what seems wrong to me (and probably is :( ). Basically I don't know/understand when I'm supposed to delete my sessions and connections (seems like I never call ::Close() probably not a good thing). If anyone can see what I'm doing wrong (remember I'm calling this chunk of code about every ...

Sign In stopped working -- Help
Live was working fine until 2/29/10. Now Windows Live mail Desktop will not send or receive mail. “Sign in” shows in the upper right corner. When I click Sign In (upper right) then “Sign in” box in the sign in pop-up I get “Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later”. I can access my mail on MSN web (Same address and PW). -- Ann from CA Oops - stopped on the 26th! -- Ann from CA "ann6709" wrote: > Live was working fine until 2/29/10. Now Windows Live mail Desktop will not > send or receive mail....

Need smart guy advice! VIRUS !?
"Hi. I recently installed SP3 on my computer, and now I get an odd message when I open emails. A box pops up that says, "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'." My virus scan turned up nothing, and the "detect & repair" function of Outlook did not change this." "After 'Yes' or 'No' outlook stops responding." Thanks, Max. Assuming you are describing Outlook 2002 (part of Office XP), ...

Help--Calendar Assistant won't install
My calendar won't print in the month view. I'm trying to install the assistant and get stuck when the message says "Outlook must be closed" It is closed, and I also checked the start-up menu. I've checked programs in the Control Panel and Calendar Printing Assistant isn't there. I'm using Visa, and Office 2007 Enterprise. Would appreciate help with this. Thank you. Sorry. Answered my own question. I finally after, say, 58 attempts to install this program, I opened Task Manager, and indeed, there were two OUTLOOK.EXE. files running in the backgro...

Need Help #9
Hi This =IF(H2,MIN(10,H2),0) returns the numbers from column H with a maximum of 10. The formula is returning 10 if the cell is 10 or over, is something wrong. Question: I need it to return 0 if 10 or over. Microsoft Excel 2002 Thanks in advance Dave On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:43:49 -0000, "Dave 2005" <dave@zillion.karoo.co.uk> wrote: >Hi > >This =IF(H2,MIN(10,H2),0) returns the numbers from column H with a maximum >of 10. > >The formula is returning 10 if the cell is 10 or over, is something wrong. > >Question: I need it to return 0 if 10 or ...

Help, please: sorting the Legend
I'm lucky if I use 10% of the power of Excel. I would be grateful for advice. Ten salesmen on a team. At the end of each month, their cumulative totals for the year are updated. The spreadsheet gets re-sorted, showing their standing in rank order. Simple enough. At the beginning of the year, I created a line chart to track each person's progress. I initially listed the names in alphabetical order and defined the series accordingly. The problem comes when I do the end of the month re-sort. The names in the Legend are no longer in alphabetical order but neither do they correctly corres...

XSD Restrictions help please
Greetings all. Is it possible to create a schema to enforce the following issue. If the value for required Attribute A within Element E has an enumerated value of ‘myType’ then element E also needs to have Attribute B. Xml example below E=Item A=type B=len <Items> <Item type=” myType” len=”5” /> <Item type=” NOTmyType” /> </Items> Any help or a point in a semi right direction would be very helpful :) AdamH wrote: > Is it possible to create a schema to enforce the following issue. > > If the value for required Attribute A within Element E has an...

Need a little Macro ...
I need a little Macro that will race thru my Tab Sheets regardless of Tab Sheet Name ... Active sheet ... perform a function ... next sheet ... until all functions complete ... all sheets ... Thanks ... Kha Ken, Try something like Dim WS As Worksheet For Each WS In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ' do something with WS Next WS -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017001c394da$72b82d00$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I need a l...

Need to set up ID on Outlook Express
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=56dc2f64-f688-4919-a5ea-23b1a55eb054&dg=microsoft.public.outlook Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook i...

DOS program needing to use net use for network printer
can't use DOS program because Windows XP Pro SP2 and Active Directory issue. Get system error 5. i have been told that i need to make a setting in my Windows 2003 server to allow the client cmd.exe or UNC to work. if i give the local user on the Windows XP computer administrator level access the net use commad works. i currently have the user setup as a power user. ...

Sorting column data
How do I sort the data in the columns, I want to make the appear in alphabetical order? Alan I recommend Excel help. Search for: Sort a range. -- Steve "alan.holmes" <alan.holmes27@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:3S9sk.133571$Mn3.46670@newsfe30.ams2... > How do I sort the data in the columns, I want to make the appear in > alphabetical order? > > Alan > > "alan.holmes" <alan.holmes27@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:3S9sk.133571$Mn3.46670@newsfe30.ams2... > How do I sort the data in the columns, I want to make the appe...

Help with unusual table problem
I would like to be able to add additional data to a table of approx. 2 rows and 4 columns. I would also like the newest data to be on to while the remaining 19 lines all shift one row down and the leas current row of data to drop off. I hope this explains my problem. Thanks, Howd -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Not sure if you might have missed my suggestion to your earlier post yesterday in microsoft.public.excel. ( http://tinyurl.com/239sq ) Based on your "revised" specs in this post: Let's say your table is in Sheet1 in A1:D20 [assume an initial tab...