I have enjoyed some things about Word 2007, but I keep having problems
with macros and templates.  I am wondering if (a) macros increase the
likelihood of corrupting the normal template in 2007, or (b) if the
older versions of Word had as many template problems. I have used Word
in 2000, with Office 2003, and now with Office 2007 and I don't ever
recall having as many problems as I've had with 2007.

What I'm thinking is that if it is simply a macro problem causing
corruption, I would simply use 2007 without the macros (they're nice
but I can live without them). On the other hand, if the 2007 template
is just gonna corrupt regardless, I can try older versions (I still
have CDs for them)--unless, of course, the normal template has always
been corruptible.

If the answer to both (a) and (b) is "yes," is there any other
workaround? Can one open word from another template--could I make one
based on the normal, rename it, then have Word open that?
0
PRR

I write a lot of macros, in many versions of Word (I usually have two or
three versions installed side by side). I have *never* had the Normal
template become corrupted in any version, although I see lots of posts about
it here and in other forums. I don't believe that Word 2007 is any more
prone to corrupted templates, and possibly less so because of the change to
the XML-based format.

I have to conclude that (a) lots of people do things they shouldn't do,
although I know of only a few things that are definitely in that category,
and (b) sometimes a Word installation just seems to be "toxic", usually
because of other programs on the same computer.

If you believe that stored macros are causing corruption of your
Normal.dotm, the fix for that is simple: save all your macros in other
templates. If you store those templates in Word's Startup folder, their
macros will be automatically available to all documents, just as if they
were in Normal.dotm. If you only need them available occasionally, you can
go to the Templates and Add-Ins dialog and load a template as an add-in for
the specific document you have open. And if that doesn't stop the
corruption, maybe one or more of the macros contain code that specifically
damages the template.

There are too many things in Word that can be accomplished only with macros
to swear off them permanently.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

PRR wrote:
> I have enjoyed some things about Word 2007, but I keep having problems
> with macros and templates.  I am wondering if (a) macros increase the
> likelihood of corrupting the normal template in 2007, or (b) if the
> older versions of Word had as many template problems. I have used Word
> in 2000, with Office 2003, and now with Office 2007 and I don't ever
> recall having as many problems as I've had with 2007.
>
> What I'm thinking is that if it is simply a macro problem causing
> corruption, I would simply use 2007 without the macros (they're nice
> but I can live without them). On the other hand, if the 2007 template
> is just gonna corrupt regardless, I can try older versions (I still
> have CDs for them)--unless, of course, the normal template has always
> been corruptible.
>
> If the answer to both (a) and (b) is "yes," is there any other
> workaround? Can one open word from another template--could I make one
> based on the normal, rename it, then have Word open that?

0
Jay
1/26/2010 6:41:41 PM
I only had 3 macros up on my QAT, and they all served simply to save
me a couple of clicks. I can live without them. I deleted the icons
for them--we'll see if that does anything. If not, I'll probably
install an older version of Word and see how that goes.

When you talk about a toxic installation caused by another program,
are there any usual suspects there I can look for?

On Jan 26, 10:41=A0am, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I write a lot of macros, in many versions of Word (I usually have two or
> three versions installed side by side). I have *never* had the Normal
> template become corrupted in any version, although I see lots of posts ab=
out
> it here and in other forums. I don't believe that Word 2007 is any more
> prone to corrupted templates, and possibly less so because of the change =
> the XML-based format.
>
> I have to conclude that (a) lots of people do things they shouldn't do,
> although I know of only a few things that are definitely in that category=
,
> and (b) sometimes a Word installation just seems to be "toxic", usually
> because of other programs on the same computer.
>
> If you believe that stored macros are causing corruption of your
> Normal.dotm, the fix for that is simple: save all your macros in other
> templates. If you store those templates in Word's Startup folder, their
> macros will be automatically available to all documents, just as if they
> were in Normal.dotm. If you only need them available occasionally, you ca=
> go to the Templates and Add-Ins dialog and load a template as an add-in f=
or
> the specific document you have open. And if that doesn't stop the
> corruption, maybe one or more of the macros contain code that specificall=
> damages the template.
>
> There are too many things in Word that can be accomplished only with macr=
os
> to swear off them permanently.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup=
 so
> all may benefit.

0
PRR
1/26/2010 7:01:30 PM
I doubt that normal.dotm is generally more likely to corrupt in recent
versions of Word. But as a security measure you can choose to store your
macros in another template that you place in the Startup folder for Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PRR" wrote:

> I have enjoyed some things about Word 2007, but I keep having problems
> with macros and templates.  I am wondering if (a) macros increase the
> likelihood of corrupting the normal template in 2007, or (b) if the
> older versions of Word had as many template problems. I have used Word
> in 2000, with Office 2003, and now with Office 2007 and I don't ever
> recall having as many problems as I've had with 2007.
>
> What I'm thinking is that if it is simply a macro problem causing
> corruption, I would simply use 2007 without the macros (they're nice
> but I can live without them). On the other hand, if the 2007 template
> is just gonna corrupt regardless, I can try older versions (I still
> have CDs for them)--unless, of course, the normal template has always
> been corruptible.
>
> If the answer to both (a) and (b) is "yes," is there any other
> workaround? Can one open word from another template--could I make one
> based on the normal, rename it, then have Word open that?
> .

To clarify: "normal.dotm" is the file name for Word 2007; I should have
written "Normal template."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I doubt that normal.dotm is generally more likely to corrupt in recent
> versions of Word. But as a security measure you can choose to store your
> macros in another template that you place in the Startup folder for Word.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "PRR" wrote:
>
>> I have enjoyed some things about Word 2007, but I keep having problems
>> with macros and templates.  I am wondering if (a) macros increase the
>> likelihood of corrupting the normal template in 2007, or (b) if the
>> older versions of Word had as many template problems. I have used Word
>> in 2000, with Office 2003, and now with Office 2007 and I don't ever
>> recall having as many problems as I've had with 2007.
>>
>> What I'm thinking is that if it is simply a macro problem causing
>> corruption, I would simply use 2007 without the macros (they're nice
>> but I can live without them). On the other hand, if the 2007 template
>> is just gonna corrupt regardless, I can try older versions (I still
>> have CDs for them)--unless, of course, the normal template has always
>> been corruptible.
>>
>> If the answer to both (a) and (b) is "yes," is there any other
>> workaround? Can one open word from another template--could I make one
>> based on the normal, rename it, then have Word open that?
>> .

0
Stefan
1/31/2010 6:34:39 PM
Both of you have suggested placing macros in an extra template in
Word's startup folder.

If I went that route, could I still place icons for the macros on my
QAT? Or would I have to call them up via a keyboard shortcut? If not,
how then would I execute them?
0
PRR
2/3/2010 6:14:44 AM
You can put them on the qat associated with the add-in i.e. open the add-in
in Word to add them. Or you could create a ribbon tab for the add-in -
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm and put the buttons on that.
FWIW the normal template is quite stable and not prone to loss (though with
any important file you should keep backups). As I frequently modify macros
for various tasks, it is much simpler to keep macros that may be subject to
such modification in the normal template.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"PRR" <psaulm119@aim.com> wrote in message
> Both of you have suggested placing macros in an extra template in
> Word's startup folder.
>
> If I went that route, could I still place icons for the macros on my
> QAT? Or would I have to call them up via a keyboard shortcut? If not,
> how then would I execute them?

0
Graham

Problem: "Debug Assertion Failed", File:afxcmn.inl
Hi, I have created an ActiveX ocx control in VC++6.0. When I run it in an ActiveX container of TSTCON32.exe. (the one that is shown while debugging) it runs perfectly. Iam trying to include it in a webpage (I am using visual-interdev for web page creation) by first customizing the toolbox for that ActiveX control and then dragging it to the web page from the toolbox. As soon as I drag it to the webpage, the IDE crashes with a message "Debug Assertion Failed", File:afxcmn.inl Can u suggest me why the problem is occurring and whets the probable solution. Thanks in advance Vijay...

Problems with System.Xml
Hi there, I have this snippet: using System.Xml; .... XmlDocument doc = ...; XmlNode foo = doc.CreateElement("foo"); foo.Attributes.Appen(doc.CreateAttribute("id", "23")); my 'foo' tag looks like this: <foo d2p1:id="" d2p1="23"/> My questions are: 1. Why? ;-) 2. How can I get rid of the d2p stuff and have just <foo id="23/>? Thanks in advance, Giulio -- On Nov 16, 3:19=A0pm, Giulio Petrucci <faken...@fakedomain.com> wrote: > Hi there, > > I have this snippet: > > u...

Install Problems
CRM V1.2 Install Fails with: Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server. Setup was unable to Create the Microsoft CRM databases. Failed to run script:Replication\p_DeleteSchedule.sql. HRESULT:80040E14. Unknown error. (80040E14) Environment: Win2k3 Enterprise SP1 SQL Server 2005 beta Exchange 2003 Standard SP1 Server Roles: File Server Print Server Application Server Domain Controller (Active Directory) DNS Server Please let me know if any other stats about the server would be helpful in diagnosing this issue. I would really like to get this software running. I am logged on as...

Compatible publishing program with Word
I currently edit/write the AUSA newsletter for the local chapter here at Ft. Gordon, GA. My problem is in trying to email the newsletter to the various board members. I use Publisher 97 but am looking for another program that will allow Word users to open the email. Have you thought of using Word? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "sharondschroeder@comcast.net" <anonymous@discussions.micros...

WINDOWS folder 4.5GB Is it normal?
Hi On my exchang2003 box my Windows folder is the size spesified...Is this healthy and/or normal? Is there any way i can reduce this size WITHOUT CASING PROBLEMS/ISSUES OF ANY KIND on my server. thanks for the ideas. Sounds about right. If you've cached web pages offline, you can delete them. Pretty much anything else could potentially be a problem or issue down the road. "MSExchange2003Student" <exchangestudent@newsgroups.com> wrote in message news:uGyC9GYhHHA.4680@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > > On my exchang2003 box my Windows folder is the size spe...

Repost: cmdSwitchView doesn't work in 2002
My database has a search module that can retrieve multiple records based on specified criteria. If multiple records are retrieved, they are displayed in a subform in datasheet view. User can then click cmdSwitchView to view additional info in form view of a selected record then toggle back to datasheet view to see more records. Command has worked beautifully for 4 years in Access 97; won't work in Access 2002 conversion. When user selects a record in datasheet view, all records disappear. Code = DoCmd.Maximize Me![frmSearchSubformNew].SetFocus DoCmd.DoMenuItem A_FORMBAR, 2, 3 Tr...

Problem with custom message class
Hi, I encountered the following problem: from the add-in I added a custom property and I changed the message class for all of the contacts. When I open a contact (any contact) it is opened with the old message class, but if I looked with Outlook Spy the contact has my custom message class. The contact is displayed with my custom form only after I close and reopen again Outlook. What could be the problem here ? Thanks, K.I For one thing, your code needs to make sure it dereferences the item after making changes. Also, Outlook does some caching of individual items, so if the item had been ...

Form textbox refresh problem
Hello! I have two forms. One is bound to a table of volunteers, the other is bound to a table of their efforts. The effort form gets data about the volunteers in a one-to-many fashion (one volunteer, hopefully many efforts). In the effort table, we have fields for PeopleID, but that's it. In the people table, we have no identifiers for effort. I'd like to be able to display the volunteer's first and last name on the effort form, so that the user can tell what's going on "behind the scenes" and to prevent entry error. For the first volunteer I choose, there'...

Money 2004 standar didn't convert Money 2000 delux file
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy it. I used to have a Money 2000 Deluxe. When I try to convert my data file, to work with Money 2004 the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot convert the file" Is there any way I can Convert the file even if the previous version was a Delux and the new is an Standar version? Thanks Fernando Sainz ...

Problems connecting to POP3 server
Hello I am using Outlook XP to access my POP3 email account. It has been working fine for about 2 years but all of a sudden, I'm getting error messages saying that it can't access the server. I know that the service is working fine because I can use a web-based service to connect to it. I haven't installed anything new on my machine and my web connection hasn't changed. Any idea? TIA Jo Sorry, false alarm. I've just realised that it's something to do with recent updates to my AV software. Jo Sorry, false alarm. I've just realised that it's somethi...

Unable to print from Outlook 2000
I have Windows 2000 (SP4) and Office 2000 (SP3). My computer is a Compaq Presario 5225 and my printer is a Canon BJC-5000. I cannot print e-mails, contact list, etc. from Outlook 2000. This just started yesterday. I have already run the detect/repair on Outlook 2000. I can print from any program on the computer (Word, Excel, Notepad, etc.), except Outlook 2000. I have searched the internet and Microsoft.com, but I cannot locate any information on this problem. Please help! Thank you!! When you open an email message and select File - Print, can you see your printer their. Try p...

Non specific error on opening Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000 Pro system
"Cannot Open Microsoft Outlook. A program error has occurred. Quit Outlook and Windows and then start again." This happens with all profiles on the system. I've repaired Office, reinstalled Office, then uninstalled and reinstalled Office (and redownloaded and applied all patches). It still errors. Other Office apps open just fine. Outlook does connect to the Exchange server, since I can configure services and it recognizes the LAN ID. Any thoughts? Does it start in safe mode, go to Start > Run > type "Outlook /safe" without the quotes "Paula&qu...

deleting hotmail from outlook 2002
I currently have an email address that is ....@msn.com and it was setup thru hotmail. I want to change everything to Outlook 2002 and not use hotmail. Currently, outlook is my default mail client and somehow, i have a hotmail folder in outlook. This is where all of my incoming mail goes (inbox folder under hotmail). Also, I have tried to export address book from hotmail and import to outlook but have been unsuccessful. I would appreciate any help!! If your only mail account is Hotmail, you will need to continue to use Hotmail? What replacement mail service do you have in mind? ...

Smartlist builder SQL problem
Hi, I have been trying to create a calculated field in the smartlist builder in Dynamics GP. The calculated field is supposed to show the amount of time until a service call runs out of SLA. The actual code for that works fine ( see the @SLA section of the code). But I also need it to have it so that before it returns a time it checks to see if there is any data in the arrival date and time columns, if there is data in there then it should just say "LA Met". Also some of the rows do not have SLAs and they return a number: 955138:39 I want to set the calculated field to displa...

New Outlook Toolbar problem
I have set up a new tool bar called GTD and have placed several commands on it (e.g. move to folder, custom flag, etc.). It works fine when set-up but when I close outlook and reopen the toolbar either disappears or has missing icons. Is there anyway to keep the toolbar permanately or at least to ensure that it stays or does not become modified? Not to sure if it can be saved either? Thanks Kita Toolbar issues belong to the programmers of the toolbar. If they don't = program the toolbars correctly, you will consistently see this issue. I = would contact the makers of Getting Things...

Problems adding member variables in my derived CWinApp class?
Hi, I have problems adding member variables in my derived CWinApp class. Every time I try to access one variable I get an memory access violation? E.g. I have an integer that I initialise in the constructor of the class but every time I try to use the integer I get the memory error? I havn't found anything in documentation that states that derived classes cant have their own member variables.... Any suggestions? Regards /S Hi Scott, No, I don't use any pointers. What I've tried is a simple integer and every time I try to use the integer (intInt) I get the memory violat...

Is there a template for the executor of an estate?
I am the executor of my deceased mother's estate. In order to close it out, I must prepare a final account summary which lists assets, receipts, distributions, etc. Do you have a template that will make this task easier? trying to be a diligent daughter Wrote: > I am the executor of my deceased mother's estate. In order to close i > out, > I must prepare a final account summary which lists assets, receipts, > distributions, etc. Do you have a template that will make this tas > easier? Hi, I did a Google search for "excel template estate" and there were ...

where can i get templates for a "how-to" manual?
I have several users who are less conversant with Outlook than they would like to be and I do't have time to create a "how-to" manual from scratch. What they need to learn is how to archive their email and get it off my servers and onto their local machines. We are literally running out of space and some of the users have emails going back to 1998! "Paul Telesco" <Paul Telesco@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9CD40CCB-7606-49A5-9B36-0F83EEF1086F@microsoft.com... >I have several users who are less conversant with Outlook than they wou...

Money 2000 Invoice printing problem
I have a problem with the characters in invoices all printing upside down. The characters are all laid out in the correct place but the characters are flipped upside down. Report printing is all ok. I have tried reinstalling Money and also doing a Restore in XP back to before the problem occurred but no improvement. Any suggestions would be welcome Thanks Graham ...

5pt space between paragraphs when copied from Word to Publisher
When I copy several paragraphs from a word document and paste it in Publisher I always get 5pts added before and after each paragraph. Is there anyway to change this so I don't have to delete the space each time? I have Office version 2003 and Windows XP. Paste special as unformatted text... or Select all, Format, Paragraph, change the before and after. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "BoKay" <BoKay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EB4C534-F64D-409D-AC89-37367675C71D@microsoft.com... > When I copy several paragraphs from a wo...

Disabling Outlook 2002 SP3 Startup
Hi, My Outlook starts automatically after boot-up or login and I have been unable to find the cause. There is no icon in Start-up menu (All users). I also tried to detect Outlook.exe in the registry (HKLM or HKCU /Software/Windows/Current Version/Run), but there is no sign of it. Also Norton AV 2004 reports nothing on my PC. Any ideas how to disable Outlook auto start-up? OS: Win XP pro SP2 Outlook 2002 Sp3 Kind regards Mehdi ...

Outlook Template Problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C55D55.E934EB90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a document that I want to save as a template to use over and over = again. I have read the instructions found here: = http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051892651033.aspx but I = cannot do this part... 1.. In the Save as type box, click Document Template. This file type = will already be selected if you are saving a file that you created as a = template. Is this something that come...

Memo Field Cursor Positioning Problem
I use this code to date stamp a memo field: Me.Notes = Notes & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "=============== Added by " & Me! txtSTATION & " on " & _ Now() & " ===============" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & " " Me.Notes is the textbox And the code is: Copying everything in Notes, moving down to rows (vbCrLf & vbCrLf), adding the first segment of the new line "=============== Added by ", Stamping in the Station owner "=============== Added by " & Me!txtSTATION, Adding the date stamp " on " &...

Outlook 2000 Corporate or Workgroup setup option
I need to setup my Outlook 2000 in the Corporate or Workgroup mode. To find out how, I found the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 195500 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;q195500), which outlines steps: 1. Start Outlook, and on the Tools menu, click Services. 2. ... 3. ... So in Outlook 2000 I clicked the Tools menu and -- oops! there is no Services under the Tools menu! Anybody can help? Thanks a lot! Jason If you had Services on your Tools menu, you'd already be in Corporate/Workgroup mode :-) Internet Mail Only mode has "Accounts" instead. ...

Cannot copy table from Excel 2007 to Word 2007 w invisible grid li
How do I copy a table from Excel 2007 to Word 2007 with invisible grid lines? In previous version of Word, it was possible to do so by clicking on "insert special" and choose one of the categories (I have forgotten which). With Word 2007, the grid lines become visible no matter which option I choose under "insert special". Is it possible for you to help me? Thanks! To hide the gridlines, click the View Gridlines button (to deselect the option) on the Table Tools Layout tab. This setting will be preserved between Word sessions. If you are in fact referr...