I have enjoyed some things about Word 2007, but I keep having problems
with macros and templates.  I am wondering if (a) macros increase the
likelihood of corrupting the normal template in 2007, or (b) if the
older versions of Word had as many template problems. I have used Word
in 2000, with Office 2003, and now with Office 2007 and I don't ever
recall having as many problems as I've had with 2007.

What I'm thinking is that if it is simply a macro problem causing
corruption, I would simply use 2007 without the macros (they're nice
but I can live without them). On the other hand, if the 2007 template
is just gonna corrupt regardless, I can try older versions (I still
have CDs for them)--unless, of course, the normal template has always
been corruptible.

If the answer to both (a) and (b) is "yes," is there any other
workaround? Can one open word from another template--could I make one
based on the normal, rename it, then have Word open that?
0
PRR

I write a lot of macros, in many versions of Word (I usually have two or
three versions installed side by side). I have *never* had the Normal
template become corrupted in any version, although I see lots of posts about
it here and in other forums. I don't believe that Word 2007 is any more
prone to corrupted templates, and possibly less so because of the change to
the XML-based format.

I have to conclude that (a) lots of people do things they shouldn't do,
although I know of only a few things that are definitely in that category,
and (b) sometimes a Word installation just seems to be "toxic", usually
because of other programs on the same computer.

If you believe that stored macros are causing corruption of your
Normal.dotm, the fix for that is simple: save all your macros in other
templates. If you store those templates in Word's Startup folder, their
macros will be automatically available to all documents, just as if they
were in Normal.dotm. If you only need them available occasionally, you can
go to the Templates and Add-Ins dialog and load a template as an add-in for
the specific document you have open. And if that doesn't stop the
corruption, maybe one or more of the macros contain code that specifically
damages the template.

There are too many things in Word that can be accomplished only with macros
to swear off them permanently.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

PRR wrote:
> I have enjoyed some things about Word 2007, but I keep having problems
> with macros and templates.  I am wondering if (a) macros increase the
> likelihood of corrupting the normal template in 2007, or (b) if the
> older versions of Word had as many template problems. I have used Word
> in 2000, with Office 2003, and now with Office 2007 and I don't ever
> recall having as many problems as I've had with 2007.
>
> What I'm thinking is that if it is simply a macro problem causing
> corruption, I would simply use 2007 without the macros (they're nice
> but I can live without them). On the other hand, if the 2007 template
> is just gonna corrupt regardless, I can try older versions (I still
> have CDs for them)--unless, of course, the normal template has always
> been corruptible.
>
> If the answer to both (a) and (b) is "yes," is there any other
> workaround? Can one open word from another template--could I make one
> based on the normal, rename it, then have Word open that?

0
Jay
1/26/2010 6:41:41 PM
I only had 3 macros up on my QAT, and they all served simply to save
me a couple of clicks. I can live without them. I deleted the icons
for them--we'll see if that does anything. If not, I'll probably
install an older version of Word and see how that goes.

When you talk about a toxic installation caused by another program,
are there any usual suspects there I can look for?

On Jan 26, 10:41=A0am, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I write a lot of macros, in many versions of Word (I usually have two or
> three versions installed side by side). I have *never* had the Normal
> template become corrupted in any version, although I see lots of posts ab=
out
> it here and in other forums. I don't believe that Word 2007 is any more
> prone to corrupted templates, and possibly less so because of the change =
> the XML-based format.
>
> I have to conclude that (a) lots of people do things they shouldn't do,
> although I know of only a few things that are definitely in that category=
,
> and (b) sometimes a Word installation just seems to be "toxic", usually
> because of other programs on the same computer.
>
> If you believe that stored macros are causing corruption of your
> Normal.dotm, the fix for that is simple: save all your macros in other
> templates. If you store those templates in Word's Startup folder, their
> macros will be automatically available to all documents, just as if they
> were in Normal.dotm. If you only need them available occasionally, you ca=
> go to the Templates and Add-Ins dialog and load a template as an add-in f=
or
> the specific document you have open. And if that doesn't stop the
> corruption, maybe one or more of the macros contain code that specificall=
> damages the template.
>
> There are too many things in Word that can be accomplished only with macr=
os
> to swear off them permanently.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup=
 so
> all may benefit.

0
PRR
1/26/2010 7:01:30 PM
I doubt that normal.dotm is generally more likely to corrupt in recent
versions of Word. But as a security measure you can choose to store your
macros in another template that you place in the Startup folder for Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PRR" wrote:

> I have enjoyed some things about Word 2007, but I keep having problems
> with macros and templates.  I am wondering if (a) macros increase the
> likelihood of corrupting the normal template in 2007, or (b) if the
> older versions of Word had as many template problems. I have used Word
> in 2000, with Office 2003, and now with Office 2007 and I don't ever
> recall having as many problems as I've had with 2007.
>
> What I'm thinking is that if it is simply a macro problem causing
> corruption, I would simply use 2007 without the macros (they're nice
> but I can live without them). On the other hand, if the 2007 template
> is just gonna corrupt regardless, I can try older versions (I still
> have CDs for them)--unless, of course, the normal template has always
> been corruptible.
>
> If the answer to both (a) and (b) is "yes," is there any other
> workaround? Can one open word from another template--could I make one
> based on the normal, rename it, then have Word open that?
> .

To clarify: "normal.dotm" is the file name for Word 2007; I should have
written "Normal template."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I doubt that normal.dotm is generally more likely to corrupt in recent
> versions of Word. But as a security measure you can choose to store your
> macros in another template that you place in the Startup folder for Word.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "PRR" wrote:
>
>> I have enjoyed some things about Word 2007, but I keep having problems
>> with macros and templates.  I am wondering if (a) macros increase the
>> likelihood of corrupting the normal template in 2007, or (b) if the
>> older versions of Word had as many template problems. I have used Word
>> in 2000, with Office 2003, and now with Office 2007 and I don't ever
>> recall having as many problems as I've had with 2007.
>>
>> What I'm thinking is that if it is simply a macro problem causing
>> corruption, I would simply use 2007 without the macros (they're nice
>> but I can live without them). On the other hand, if the 2007 template
>> is just gonna corrupt regardless, I can try older versions (I still
>> have CDs for them)--unless, of course, the normal template has always
>> been corruptible.
>>
>> If the answer to both (a) and (b) is "yes," is there any other
>> workaround? Can one open word from another template--could I make one
>> based on the normal, rename it, then have Word open that?
>> .

0
Stefan
1/31/2010 6:34:39 PM
Both of you have suggested placing macros in an extra template in
Word's startup folder.

If I went that route, could I still place icons for the macros on my
QAT? Or would I have to call them up via a keyboard shortcut? If not,
how then would I execute them?
0
PRR
2/3/2010 6:14:44 AM
You can put them on the qat associated with the add-in i.e. open the add-in
in Word to add them. Or you could create a ribbon tab for the add-in -
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm and put the buttons on that.
FWIW the normal template is quite stable and not prone to loss (though with
any important file you should keep backups). As I frequently modify macros
for various tasks, it is much simpler to keep macros that may be subject to
such modification in the normal template.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"PRR" <psaulm119@aim.com> wrote in message
> Both of you have suggested placing macros in an extra template in
> Word's startup folder.
>
> If I went that route, could I still place icons for the macros on my
> QAT? Or would I have to call them up via a keyboard shortcut? If not,
> how then would I execute them?

0
Graham

Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document
I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An 11MB file. I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead insert the images using the "Link to File" option. Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result? An 11MB file. Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000 documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it blow up? Regards, Richard. Richard wrot...

Front End Exchange 2003 OWA for a Back end 2000
Hey everybody, At the minute we're in the process of upgrading our 30 odd servers to Windows Server 2003. The Domain Controllers are still running Windows 2000. My question is : Can I install an Exchange 2003 OWA on a Windows Server 2003 to connect to an Exchange 2000 Server in a Windows 2000 Domain (Native Mode) Do I have to upgrade the whole domain first ? What about notions of Front End / Back End ? We would like to do this to benefit from the new OWA (As it's sooooo cool :)) Thanks for your replies, Mike You can use an E2K3 FE to connecto to an E2K BE, but you only get OW...

error sending from 5.5 to 2000
When a user sends from an exchange 5.5 mailbox to a user in exchange 2000, they receive the following error: The message was undeliverable because the recipient specified in the recipient postal address was not known at this address The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Express-Scripts;l=TEMMS014-041001192533Z-210060 <mail5.express-scripts.com #5.1.1> The same user on the 5.5 server can send to other users on the 2000 server. I looked the error up in technet and got 3 kb articles with only 1, kb295377 being anything close to my problem. I checked the entr...

Microsoft Outlook 2002 #3
How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments" Thanks, Stephen Some options here http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "spike" <stephen@just4u.ie> wrote in message news:090201c35c10$19100be0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep > getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to > the following potentially unsafe attachments" > > Thanks, > > Stephen ...

Outlook 2000 doesn't respond after downloading MS update!!
Luckily, my Outlook Express seems to work, but my Outlook 2000 will open, but if I click on a message or do Anything, it FREEZES. HELP!! I rely on calendar functions, other things. HOW could MS allow an update that screws up their own programs? I did restore - to no avail. I lent CD to someone, so can't do "repair." (Trying to get a hold of friend) Please help! I'm in process of job hunt & really need Outlook to function... Thanks, Sherry Did you recently apply SP3 for Office/Outlook 2000 and is Outlook 2000 configured in Internet Mail Only mode? If yes, you...

Creating a template using Publisher

Missing Menu Options (Outlook 2002)...
HELP! I've noticed a few things disappearing: 1) When I right-click an e-mail to add the person to the Junk Senders list, the options under "Junk E-mail" are no longer visible (just gives me a stubby blank box) 2) I don't have access to "Tools --> Rules Wizard" - that'c completely disappeared. Any ideas? ...

Embedding worksheet into Word
Has anyone had the experience where when they embed a worksheet into Microsoft Word, a portion of the worksheet gets cut off? Is there an easy fix to this? ...

Questiontest-outlookwebservices problem
hi all and thanks for the support. i'm facing a problem with test.outlookwebservices. notice that oulook side everything seems to be pretty good: the autodiscovery and auto-configuration of the account succeedes, the test email autoconfiguration suceedes too. when i launch the test, once it suceedes for certain services and after a while it fails for those services and suceedes for other. look the prints: here are failing the RPC tests Message : [EXCH] The UM is configured for this user in the AutoDiscover response received from https://mytest-EXC1. myt...

Problem with systemstate backup with DPM 2010
Hi! We running DPM 2010RC on a Windows 2008 R2 The Protected computer is: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790 When we installed the DPM agent the first backup of system state was successfully, so we have one restore point. But further backups in failing, the system state backup is in status “replica is inconsistent” and when I running a consistent check the job failing. In the error in DPM is: The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on sea0700smon1.xxxx.local is inconsistent with the protected data so...

Send from Word
When I hit the send button in Word or Excell I get a pop up that say choose profile with Outlook in the drop down. That is the only name in the drop down. If I hit OK I get the following Message. The MAPI Spooler could not be started. Close and then restartall mail-enabled applications.MAPI 103 (0000004C7) If I choose to set up a new profile I get a Microsoft Exchange Setup Wizard. As I try to setup a new profile I come to the following, The following unrecoverable error has occured: The .DLL file for this service is either damaged or could not be found. Any ideas? Doug, What versi...

Font problem
It seems that the Cambria Math font has recently acquired an extremely large Ascent and Descent. Has it perhaps always been that way and I've never noticed it before, or is it something recent, perhaps a Vista thing? Try the following code for example. For Arial and Times New Roman (and virtually all other fonts) I am getting pretty much exactly what I would expect (a TextHeight that is a bit larger than the point size) but for Cambria Math I am getting an extremely large TextHeight (I get exactly the same results using GDI32 methods). At this end (on my Vista Business laptop...

08 Mac Office activation problems
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Just found an article posted by michellec and I am faced with exactly the same problem - on 'activation' of the product, none of the 3 product keys seem to be correct, hence activation is unsuccessful!! Have received some help emails (and thanks Diana yours had the microsoft help number that has been good, despite the fact they can't help me and tell me I must get in touch with Digital River) but seems that what I need is another product key, and now that I'm asking for that since about 10 days, I don't get any reply ...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Issues Template
Hi i have downloaded the issues template to work in a vet office, but am not sure what the Add related issues is for on the Issues details form. i jus want to know what it does and its benefits It's unlikely that you'll get any help that requires anyone to download and analyyse someone else's guickie application. You'd do better to use the sample databases and tools that are provided with Access and ask questions based on them, instead. HTH -- -Larry- -- "Amin" <Amin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B20F4FC-2696-4724-8615-49...

Autoshapes' visible problem
When I add some Rectangle autoshapes above the embeded chart, I find it's hard to control it's visibility, They maybe hide when I select some cell or activate chart. I want to know how to make them always visible no matter what I select. Thank you in advance! ^_^ Yours,fujing You need to click on the chart before you use the drawing tool. In this way the Shape and the Chart become one. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "fujing1003" <fujing1003@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1171358292.074278.135950@v33g2000cwv...

Is there a way to convert OE 03 form templates?
I have a user that has upgraded from outlook 2003 to outlook 2007 and has a form template from 2003 that is in a FDM extension. Outlook 2007 is unable to read this form. Is there a way to convert this form, or will the user just have to create a new form with their new version of outlook? Any information appreciated. Thanks, -AllenK What happens when you try to install the form? Any error message? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.ms...

Publisher 2000? #2
Is there a place where I can still get version 2000? I've been looking, but all I can find are updates and the 2007 trial. My computer can't run 2007. *If* if can be had, try something like eBay. (I wouldn't buy software that way but that's just my preference.) You may find you have better luck finding a leftover copy of Pub 2003 from some online retailers. (I actually prefer that over 2000.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

XP Look and Feel in Windows 2000 using ComCtrl32.dll
Hai I Want to have a XP Look and feel under windows2000 using VC++ and ComCtrl32.dll and does any one have any idea please help me as basically iam looking to develop a Skin Waiting for your reply suresh You will have to draw many of your own components. You could purchase a library like the one from www.codejock.com or www.dundas.com or or www.bcgsoft.com use something like this: These are for Office XP, but you'll get the idea. It's a ton of work: http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/officexp.asp Tom "suresh" <s...

Office 2004 SP 11.1.0 installation problems

RMS and/or PC Charge Problems
We are having some interesting problems with our RMS system and PC Charge: For no apparent reason RMS will have an error message after a card is swiped or keyed into the system: • DENIED (With a wide variety of error messages) • DUPLICATE use F+ to force (even when it is the first transaction) • TIMED OUT Attempted solutions: • Turned modem off and on • Disconnected the modem and plugged everything back in • Turned the server on/off • Called PC Charge only to be told that it is RMS • RMS said it is PC Charge • Confirmed that everything is set up properly in PC Charge and RMS What works:...

Importing into Access 2000
I have a text file 13187 characters long. It will not import or link. Any suggestions? Hi William, Suggestions? First one is to give us a bit more information: What happens when you try? Can you import other text files? What's different about this one? Separated or delimited? How many fields? Where did it originate? On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:57:16 -0800, "William Madison" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a text file 13187 characters long. It will not >import or link. Any suggestions? -- John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP] Please respond in th...