Extracting Data from Word 2007 forms

I created a form for our agents to reduce the amount of paperwork they have
to carry with them.  I decided to use a form in Word 2007.  Now they're
wanting to be able to extract data from these forms to upload to a database.
I am having trouble finding a good way to extract this data in office 2007.

My question is what is the best way to go about doing this?  I've seen
discussions on how to do it from office 2003 but can't seem to use the same
procedure in '07.  Do I need to create a Macro, VBA code, or is there some
simpler way to do it that I've overlooked?

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:37:01 -0800, Brian Young <Brian
Young@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I created a form for our agents to reduce the amount of paperwork they have
>to carry with them.  I decided to use a form in Word 2007.  Now they're
>wanting to be able to extract data from these forms to upload to a database.
>I am having trouble finding a good way to extract this data in office 2007.
>
>My question is what is the best way to go about doing this?  I've seen
>discussions on how to do it from office 2003 but can't seem to use the same
>procedure in '07.  Do I need to create a Macro, VBA code, or is there some
>simpler way to do it that I've overlooked?

You may be able to export the field contents from each document into a
..csv (comma-separated variables) file. You may be able to import that
file directly into the database, or you may open it in Excel or
another spreadsheet.

In Word 2007, go to Office button > Word Options > Advanced. Scroll
down to the section labeled "Preserve fidelity when sharing this
document". Check the box for "Save form data as delimited text file".

When you save the file as a Plain Text (*.txt) file, it will contain
only the text from the fields, separated by commas. Open this file in
Excel, and a wizard will lead you through specifying the kind of
formatting -- select the comma as the delimiter.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Brian Young" <Brian Young@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I created a form for our agents to reduce the amount of paperwork they have
> to carry with them.  I decided to use a form in Word 2007.  Now they're
> wanting to be able to extract data from these forms to upload to a
> database.
> I am having trouble finding a good way to extract this data in office
> 2007.
>
> My question is what is the best way to go about doing this?  I've seen
> discussions on how to do it from office 2003 but can't seem to use the
> same
> procedure in '07.  Do I need to create a Macro, VBA code, or is there some
> simpler way to do it that I've overlooked?

0
Graham
12/24/2009 5:43:05 AM
Ahh, thanks for the replies guys.  Yes, this should get me by in the mean
time.  Though, I get the feeling that once I start doing this they'll want me
to start dumping the data in to sql databases.  I've seen some mention of VS
2008 being able to create addin's for office 2007 you guys have any useful
tidbits on this?
The short answer is that Visual Studio 2008 can be used to create add-ins
for Word, but its use is way out of context for this forum. Try a Visual
Studio group if you want to explore that. Maybe you could start with
http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/t-sql-programming/writing-to-word-from-sql-server/

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Ahh, thanks for the replies guys.  Yes, this should get me by in the mean
> time.  Though, I get the feeling that once I start doing this they'll want
> me
> to start dumping the data in to sql databases.  I've seen some mention of
> VS
> 2008 being able to create addin's for office 2007 you guys have any useful
> tidbits on this?

0
Graham

Converting Excel with Word
Hi to everyone. I have a table in an Excel sheet. In every row of the table included some information’s of a number of persons (Name, address, age, work hours, distance, etc) I also have a doc file in Word, which i use it like a form, to connect the above information’s in some points in the doc. I would like to convert somehow the Excel table to word doc applying 2 conditions. a) Every time that i change a value of a person at the Excel table, automatically updating the corresponding doc file and b) If i must add new persons in the table (that means new rows), also to create automatical...

Outlook 2007 Object could not be found error
We have a user who is a delegate on 10 other users in Outlook 2007. The user has been provided editorial rights to modify and create appointments on the client’s Outlook. She is able to manage and create appointments on 7 of the 10 clients, but the other 3 come up with an “Object could not be found” error. The user can set up meetings fine in her mailbox as well as when creating appointments for other. It’s just the 3 users that are causing the problem. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. JoeP ...

convert numbers to words
Hi all, simple question, how to convert number to words. ex. $ 10,000 ==> ten thousand dollars thanks hi see this site.... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=213360 and this site.... http://www.sulprobil.com/html/spellnumber.html and this site.... http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm yeah....it can get complicated. good luck. regard FSt1 "reza" wrote: > Hi all, > > simple question, how to convert number to words. > ex. $ 10,000 ==> ten thousand dollars > > thanks FSt1... Thanks "FSt1" wrote: > h...

GETPIVOTDATA and Date-type field (Excel 2007)
Data Sample *************** Trip 0346210980 Statement Date 3/24/2010 Description STARBUCKS Date 03/08/2010 LocCurrAmt 3.47 Formula: =GETPIVOTDATA("LocCurrAmt",A6,"Statement Date",DATE(2010,3,24)) Problem: I keep getting a #REF error. When I evaluate the error it's always with the DATE function. Steps I've taken: 1. Confirmed that my date is a number and not text. 2. Tried using the date serial number (40261) instead of the DATE function. 3. Confirmed the GETPIVOTDATA works...

Writing programs for the manipulation of data cells?
I'm new to Excel and I think I can do this with macros. In that case, where can I find a list of Excel functions? On 18 Mar, 10:38, "Scott H" <nospam> wrote: > I'm new to Excel and I think I can do this with macros. In that case, where > can I find a list of Excel functions? Have you tried the help? I would also highly recommend Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/MainPage.aspx The great thing about Excel is there are so many high quality advice sites that are easily found. ...

comparing data in different sheets
I have data set for each quarter, like sales, profits, margins. The dat is for more than 1000 companies and in different worksheets: Eac quarter is in each seperate worksheet. It gets frustrating to keep on switching between each worksheet to ge a comparative number. Is there a way out -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In situations like this I generally create a summary sheet and reference the cells from all of the other worksheets. Set up the layout for the summary sheet and then select a cell you want to mirror the value from another worksheet. With the cell selected, ...

extend XY data ranges?
I was wondering if there is a way to extend the X and Y data ranges on a line graph? I am plotting some data, and I want to be able to extend the x and y axes so that I can predict future vaules, however I cannot seem to figure out how to do this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Jeff hi Jeff, if you select the Y-axis and then right-click, select "Format Axis". On the "Scale" tab, uncheck the relevant "Auto" checkboxes and enter in the scale that you're after. HTH, Katherine "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.micro...

Outlok 2003 Word Attachments are Read Only and in 2 page view
I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he receives an email with a word doc attached and attempts to open it (rather than save it 1st) it opens in Word as read only and shows as a split screen (2 page book view). if he saves it to the drive 1st he can remove the read only attribute and then Word opens it normally. Any Ideas? Not sure why the view is different. My OT advice - always save attachments you want to edit, and then open them. Otherwise you're using a temp copy of the file & may lose changes. Marc Seidler wrote: > I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he recei...

ooutlook 2007 icons "grey", disabled...
Upon install of Office Ultimate 2007, numerous options in Outlook are disabled, including Outlook Options, New Message, reply, forward, etc. When I attempt to activate product, I don't get a "product already activated" message, nor does it attempt to activate. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Gates isn't having this problem on a Saturday night, after all, we only spent $539.00 on a program we assume will operate properly when installed. (BTW -CPU is running Vista Home Premium, SP2) Any help is appreciated. Did you uninstall any Trial together with Activation...

Data to Chart Question/How-to
Below is my data layout as it is right now. What I want my chart to look like is described as... The Vertical Left Area is the Document ID Column The Horizontal Bottom Row is the Reviewer (Revwr #?) The Secondary Vertical Right is the Days Overdue Numbers So far I've tried to use a Scatter, Line, Bar, and also Combining them too but nothing seems to yield the results I am looking for. I hope that the data outline below shows up well enough but if not then let me know and I'll try again. Document ID Revwr #1 Revwr #2 Revwr #3 Revwr #4 Days Overdue Document #001 X X ...

word document
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Hi, <br> Is there a way I can create a list with boxes instead of bullets or numbers? I want to make a check list. <br> Thanks for your help Hi, create a list, then select all the items and click on Format>Bullets and Numbering. Select any one of the styles displayed, then click on the Customize button. In the new window that opens, click on Bullet and choose one of the symbols that looks like a box. Click on OK twice, and you're back in your document, with your list formatted as a check list. Al...

Grouping to included ranges for which no base data exists
I have a set of data which has numbers ranging from 1700 to 32100. I'd like to pivot table them and group them in bands of 100, starting at 1700. I'd like my pivot table to show all of the bands that exist. The problem is, if I have no data within the band 2200 to 2300 that band wont appear in my grouped pivot table. Any help most appreciated. Thanks in advance. Gerry. ...

Form Size and Scroll Bars
Hello All, We have added a number of fields to the opportunity form. For some reason when the form loads the scroll bar goes all the way to the bottom of the form and the user has to scroll back up to the top of it. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks! Hi, Check out JScript in your onload event of opportunity. Is there any code which is moving the focuss to some field at bottom of form? -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post is helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan :: Freelance Consultant Email Contact :: imumar at gmail dot com "MDV1457" w...

How to highlight the searched words ?
Hello there I wrote one program in VC++ to highlight all words found in page currently navigated in browser. For that I am just appending "<span id=\"HTMLSEARCH\" STYLE=\"background-color: Highlight COLOR:HighlightText\"\\>" it to words found so as to highlight the words. My problem is that if the background color is same as highlighted color them you can't read the word. I want to highlight the word just like when you select any word using mouse. It highlights the word and sets the background color which is exact reverse to previous background color. ...

Import Vista Winmail into Outlook 2007
Please advise how I can import Vista WinMail emails and contacts into Outlook 2007? Thanks Malcolm Both apps need to be installed & configured on the same PC Export msgs from Mail to Outlook In OL Import Contacts (Though you may have to export Mail contacts to a scv file, then import that into OL) "Buchanan Family" <buchann@iimetro.com.au> wrote in message news:245F49C7-A7B1-455B-9E12-33CA1372C66E@microsoft.com... > Please advise how I can import Vista WinMail emails and contacts into > Outlook 2007? > Thanks > Malcolm > All works, Thanks Malcolm ...

How do I extract and save a list of email addresses in Outloook?
How do I extract and save a list of email addresses in certain folders in Outlook? I am in a discussion list for chiropractors and I save all the email messages in a folder in Outlook. I want to extract all the various email addresses from other chiropractors and save the list of email addresses in a word document. Thanks. Grady Add the addresses to your Contacts as you get them. Right click on each address and Add to Contacts. Export to an Excel spreadsheet. "Grady" wrote: > How do I extract and save a list of email addresses in certain folders in > Outlook? I a...

Sync Issues in Outlook 2007
I am running Office 2007 cached mode on Windows XP connected to an Exchage 2003 server. I have a users who's Outlook shows as "connected to Microsoft Exchange" yet the last sync date was from hours ago and it actually has updated during that time. Any ideas why the Sync time is incorrect? Send/Receive button does nothing (F9)but the Send/Receive This folder (shift + F9) will force it to sync. It is set to auto receive every 5 min. ...

formulas and external data
i have an issue trying to calculate data based on a query i import the data with all my columns and records, at the end i insert a column with a formula that calculates 4 different cells in the row then i run a query to remove null (zero) value data from a certain field, then the formual column that i added manually doesn't look right. for example, if i have 800 rows of data, i copied that formula to all 800 rows in the last column following the external data when i run the query, all the zero values are removed (doing what it should) and the formulas stay, except the last row that is...

collect data via email
We're looking for solution to collect intake data from multiple agencies (not on network), and get into our (currently 2003) Access database. With 2007, the 'EMail data collect' facility - can that collect and insert multiple rows with 1 email - or each email/form processes only 1 row..? thanks! don You will send a mail asking the user either to update a certain row or add information to a new record. So in both situations you are tied to single row processing... Secondly you have two options to choose from. Plain html which will present the user with a html emai...

Restricting data
Hi I am trying to put value restrictions on certain elements in an xml file using a schema file. The syntax in my schema file looks like the following <xs:element name="AXYZMachines" msdata:IsDataSet="true" msdata:UseCurrentLocale="true"> <xs:complexType> <xs:choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"> <xs:element name="MotionParameters"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="FeedRateMAX" type="xs:double"...

Extract Specific Data
Hi Groupies The data in my Job Number field looks like this: DC-2010-1-63 - City Hazard AB-2010-5-960 - Shop How can I extract everything up to the 4th dash so that I am left with: DC-2010-1-63 AB-2010-5-960 Thanks in advance. -- Thanks for taking the time! CJ --------------------------------------------------------- Know thyself, know thy limits....know thy newsgroups! CJ wrote: >The data in my Job Number field looks like this: >DC-2010-1-63 - City Hazard >AB-2010-5-960 - Shop > >How can I extract everything up to the 4th dash so that I am left wit...

Retrieve data #2
I have a spreadsheet "franchise Stores" containing franchises in column "a" and their stores store# in column "b", a simple database with most franchises having more than one store. Every day different stores submit their problems to us using only their store numbers. I have a seperate spreadsheet for these calls "call log". I manually look up the stores franchise with the store number using the Find Function in "franchise Stores", and copy, paste it to "call log". Is there a way to have excel do this on its own? There are too many to...

Lost data on import
Excel 2002 New web query downloads the string "<10E6/L" OK but on import creates a blank cell. However the string "<10E6\L" imports OK. I've tried adjusting properties and formatting options without success. The following web query url demonstrates the situation: http://www.rcpaqap.com.au/micro/dataentry/testquery.cfm Any ideas on the cause and solution would be appreciated. Alban I saved a webpage in Excel from your data (Cut and paste) and have saved it here. It appears to work for me http://www.zen34775.zen.co.uk/Book1.htm (Link will be removed sho...

Only The Report Header Is Printing
I use an Access application here at work, which includes a button on a form to print a report. When I try to print the report nothing comes out but the header of the report. I'm very new to using Access and really don't know the ins and outs of it at all. I have looked in a couple of different Access training books, but I don't know what I'm really looking for. I'm frustated and need help. Does the report have a RecordSource? A table or query that is providing the data to the report? Do you have controls on the report that are bound to fields in that RecordSource table...

filtering for certain formatted data
How can use the advanced filter to filter information with a certain format? You'd have to write your own procedure to do this kind of thing. Ron de Bruin has some filtering based on format in his easyfilter addin: http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm geezaflip wrote: > > How can use the advanced filter to filter information with a certain format? -- Dave Peterson ...