Extract text strings

To all:

I have looked throughout the forum and cannot find the solution to my
problem.

I have a document that has text strings within single quotes (e.g. 'this is
sample text')

I need to pull all of these out and place them in another document (or
preferrably an excel spreadsheet).

If someone could point me to some VBA code, that would be much appreciated.

If you have Word 2003 or above, you can use the "Find All" feature to do
this; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/SpecialFind.htm#CopyingSelectedText
(scroll up from that section to get the intro to Find All).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Huber57" <Huber57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To all:
>
> I have looked throughout the forum and cannot find the solution to my
> problem.
>
> I have a document that has text strings within single quotes (e.g. 'this
> is
> sample text')
>
> I need to pull all of these out and place them in another document (or
> preferrably an excel spreadsheet).
>
> If someone could point me to some VBA code, that would be much
> appreciated.

0
Suzanne
3/3/2010 4:37:24 PM
Hi,

In addition, you will need to click More, select the Use wildcards check
box, and type '*' in the Find what box.

Important: When you are finished using wildcards, clear the Use wildcards
check box and perform another search to disable wildcards.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> If you have Word 2003 or above, you can use the "Find All" feature to do
> this; see
> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/SpecialFind.htm#CopyingSelectedText
> (scroll up from that section to get the intro to Find All).
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Huber57" <Huber57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To all:
> >
> > I have looked throughout the forum and cannot find the solution to my
> > problem.
> >
> > I have a document that has text strings within single quotes (e.g. 'this
> > is
> > sample text')
> >
> > I need to pull all of these out and place them in another document (or
> > preferrably an excel spreadsheet).
> >
> > If someone could point me to some VBA code, that would be much
> > appreciated.
> >

> .

Suzanne,

That is great.  I am now struggling with the search language.

I tried '*' to get anything within quotes but I don't think it is acting as
a wildcard to return any number of characters.

how would i search for strings or differing lengths at one time?

Sincerely,

Doug

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> If you have Word 2003 or above, you can use the "Find All" feature to do
> this; see
> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/SpecialFind.htm#CopyingSelectedText
> (scroll up from that section to get the intro to Find All).
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Huber57" <Huber57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To all:
> >
> > I have looked throughout the forum and cannot find the solution to my
> > problem.
> >
> > I have a document that has text strings within single quotes (e.g. 'this
> > is
> > sample text')
> >
> > I need to pull all of these out and place them in another document (or
> > preferrably an excel spreadsheet).
> >
> > If someone could point me to some VBA code, that would be much
> > appreciated.
> >

> .

Do you have "Use wildcards" checked?

--

> Suzanne,
>
> That is great.  I am now struggling with the search language.
>
> I tried '*' to get anything within quotes but I don't think it is acting
> as
> a wildcard to return any number of characters.
>
> how would i search for strings or differing lengths at one time?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Doug
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> If you have Word 2003 or above, you can use the "Find All" feature to do
>> this; see
>> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/SpecialFind.htm#CopyingSelectedText
>> (scroll up from that section to get the intro to Find All).
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Huber57" <Huber57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > To all:
>> >
>> > I have looked throughout the forum and cannot find the solution to my
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > I have a document that has text strings within single quotes (e.g.
>> > 'this
>> > is
>> > sample text')
>> >
>> > I need to pull all of these out and place them in another document (or
>> > preferrably an excel spreadsheet).
>> >
>> > If someone could point me to some VBA code, that would be much
>> > appreciated.
>> >

>> .

0
Suzanne

My text seems stuck in the text box! I can't make changes!HELP!
I am trying to alter text just typed into a text box using Publisher 2003. For some reason, the system will not allow me to go back to edit. Any ideas? Thanks Is your application activated? Is it just this one text box in this publication? Are you working with a template? Select the text box, copy, paste, can you edit the pasted text box? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Learner" <Learner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68E3A7B3-BB72-4D73-9250-BF4F3FAE2C08@microsoft.com... >I a...

reply message wont include text on one contact
Only with one contact in our address book...when we reply to any of her messages it will not include her original message. under email options it is checked to include original messages. The confusing part is it is only happening with one contact. ...

Best way to store image, voice, text file?
Hello there, Is it possible to define a sql server field to store image, or voice, or text file? If the size of the file is very big, thus exceeding the max row size 8064 bytes limit, is it better to store it in a directory, and just save the location of the file in the field? Thanks, Ben On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 07:19:54 -0700, Ben <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello there, > >Is it possible to define a sql server field to store image, or voice, or >text file? > >If the size of the file is very big, thus exceeding the max row size 8064...

Relative path for "import text file"?
I use the import text file wizard to bring results created by my statistical package in .txt files into Excel for formatting and printing. I would like to make the path to the input .txt file "relative" to the Excel file, but I do not see how to do this in the wizard. The problem is the following: suppose I am collaborating with someone and send him the .xls file and the .txt file imported. If his directory structure is not exactly the same as mine, Excel cannot find the .txt file when he wants to refresh, even though the two files are in the same directory. For example, suppose I ...

Can I change the font color of text inside an IF statement?
Here is the equation I'm using in Excel 2003. =IF(AND(G3="NO",B1-E3<2),B1-E3,IF(AND(G3="YES",B1-E3<=96),B1-E3,"Error")) I would like the text color to change red if: IF NO is selected and B1-E3 >2 I would like the text to turn red. IF YES is selected and B1-E3 >4 I would like the text to turn red. If I can do this in conditional formatting, that’s fine, I'm just not familiar enough with excel to do this. Thanks for the assistance! Craig Hi a formula can't change a format. But have a look at 'Format - Conditional Format' fo...

can't insert a space at the beginning of a line of text
Publisher 2002 I'm so totally frustrated. I have a text frame filled with text and a numbered list also. I can add text to the begining of a line of text but if I try to add a space (pressing spacebar) nothing happens. I messed with turning various options on and off and I still can't create a space. When all else fails, try Ctrl+Alt+M or Ctrl+Alt+N, depending on how wide a space you desire. Mike mange wrote: > Publisher 2002 > I'm so totally frustrated. I have a text frame filled with text and a > numbered list also. I can add text to the begining of a line o...

Keep quoted numeric characters as text.
Is there any way I can keep Excell from converting double quoted strings of numeric characters to a number when opening a .csv file? I have a column where sometimes the text being imported is something like "001". I need to load it as text '001' instead of as a number 1. If I change the column to text after opening the file, the leading zeros are still missing. In MacXL you can open it directly with Text Import wizard. With WinXL you need to change the extension (say, to .txt) first. Then set the column to Text in the third pane of the wizard. In article <043b...

XML error "Some Data Was Imported As Text"
Daily, I recieve a 3rd party XML file that I parse in Excel (using an excel macro) and then import into an Access database. Infrequently, the data will import into Excel, then parse and then the routine stops with the error message above. I look through the raw XML file and everything appears to be within the brackets, etc. Can someone give me some clarification to the meaning of the error message? Thanks in advance and Mery Christmas and Happy Holidays! The error message might be generated within your macro - as it is parsing the data it might detect that some field which should be ...

Remove text from a cell
Hi there I have some data in a spreadsheet which is an output from another program. One column has a series of numbers in it, each with the suffix of "kb" and I want to remove the kb from each cell so that I can sort by number. Is there an easy way to do this without having to edit each cell individually (I have about 600 rows!) thanks Trace Hi one way: Use 'Edit - Replace' the other way: use the formula =--TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"kb","")) in a helper column >-----Original Message----- >Hi there > >I have some data in a spreadsheet which is ...

text in charts
hi all.. Is it possilbe to have a textbox in a chart, that actaully corresponds to a cell entry in the spreadsheet, to change its contents for whatever I type in the cell? is it possible for the title too? thanks!! To add worksheet text to a chart: 1. Click on the chart to select it. 2. Type an equal sign (you'll see it appear in the formula bar) 3. Click on the cell that contains the text for the chart 4. Press the Enter key. 5. Position the textbox where you'd like it in the chart, and format as desired. tony wrote: > hi all.. > > Is it possilbe to have a te...

Mix Dynamic Values (Slugs) & Text in Custom Workflow Activity Prop
I have created a custom workflow activity with some input properties. One of the properties is called "File Name Format" and will be used to set the filename of a document that gets created within the activity. I want to set this property value on the workflow to be "Invoice - {Invoice ID(Invoice)}.pdf" where the invoice id part is a dynamic value inserted with the form assistant on the right side of the screen. However, when I save&close the form and go back in to it, the text is erased and only the dynamic entity is in the field. Is it possible to concatenat...

Cell extraction from Multiple worksheets
Hi group, I am new to this newsgroup and am hoping that you can help me out. I took a software/hardware inventory of all the computers in my work's network and imported them all into excel, in their own worksheet. So I have one file, with 128 different worksheets, all containing similar information. What I would like to do is create a new sheet, a summary page, where I can pull the value of the same cell from each sheet and list them. I need to have a list of each computer, with computer name, cpu speed, video card, serial number, ect. If the values that I am searching for are in the same...

Text Manipulation from PDF
Hi Really weird problem I have with a report generated by a application at work. I run off a monthly report of products completed by employees. It shows the following info in a pdf report User ID No of Products Date Sub Date Last Sub Last Date Sub Smith_0001 5 01/01/2006 10/01/2006 10/01/2006 Brown_0002 8 02/01/2006 11/01/2006 11/01/2006 Etc but it lists about 300 staff when I copy it and paste it int...

Adding text and date problem
I have text in column 1, a date in column 2 and in column 3 I wish to show the text followed by the date. I have tried both Concatenate and & but the the result is text followed by the underlying number representing the date. I cannot seem to format this column to show the date as dd/mm/yy. Any suggestions? Regards ="Today is: "&TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy") -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "newman" <aa111@despammed.com> wrote in message news:464C1646.AC6A42E0@despammed.com... |I have text in column 1, a date in column 2 and in column...

How to full justify text ?
Help! I have tried many things but can't figure out how to full justify text. Betababy, Format, Cells, Alignment, Under Horizontal, choose Justify. -cheers -- Angel Bivins WordAngel Document Design www.wordangel.com "Betababy" wrote: > Help! I have tried many things but can't figure out how to full justify text. > ...

converting checkboxes to a text value
I have an existing database that employs checkboxes. I'd like to create a report that displays those boxes as "yes/no" text values, so that I can export them to an .rtf format, and have them actually show up. I'm a novice, so any help is greatly appreciated. The purpose of this is to be able to email specific pages of the report. I'm also open to other ideas for making this possible, if I'm going about this the wrong way. Thanks in advance. Charitycase wrote: > I have an existing database that employs checkboxes. I'd like to > create a report that...

Extracting name out of line
I am copying a line off the web with 4 names in it, separated by spaces (From 1 to 6 spaces). I am trying to extract name 3 from the line. Tried split(Var, " ") however Name moves according to the space between the names. Var(2) can be the Name or according to spaces between names, Var(6) Can you help me? Thank you, Gordon On 27 Jan 2007 15:37:39 -0800, "Gordon" <gwelch1938@yahoo.com> wrote: >I am copying a line off the web with 4 names in it, separated by >spaces (From 1 to 6 spaces). I am trying to extract name 3 from the >line. Tried split(V...

MFC String-table in C# ?
Hi, maybe a bit OT for this newsgroup, but I know that people here use C#, too. So, does anyone know how the MFC string-table technique map to C#/WinForm? I initially thought about using an integer->string map in C#, but is there some built-in mechanism to manage that? Thanks, Giovanni "Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:ugqw1g7LJHA.1736@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > So, does anyone know how the MFC string-table technique map to C#/WinForm? ....after some web search, it seems that C# has a ResourceManager class ...

XML deserialization from string
Hi, I have an XSD and created a VB.NET class file from it. When I have an XML file (conforming to the schema), it is straight forward to deserialize using the class file. I am looking for ways to deserialize when I have the XML as a string and not in a file. Writing the string to a file and deserializing from the file might have an adverse effect on the performance. Anyone know of a good method to do this? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Sampath. Use a StringReader to read the file and wrap that in an XmlTextReader. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,...

Text and backgound do not print
I have created a folding leaflet which appears fine on the screen. However, when I click on print preview, half of the leaflet appears only as a white space. When I print it, I get the same result, i.e. only half of it appears on the page. Can anyone help, please? Try running Design Checker on your leaflet. Sometimes issues will show up that that prevent items from being printed. I just helped a woman with a very similar issue. I deleted some extra text boxes and it's fine. ;-) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/...

Text emails do not format
All of my incoming emails in Outlook 2003 are coming in as one long line of text. I've gone into my email options and turned off "Remove extra line breaks from text emails" but the problem still occurs. Does anyone know how to prevent my incoming text emails from turning the entire message into one long paragraph? Thanks! Fury Maybe the issue is with the person (or people) sending it. As a test, log into your webmail account, send yourself and email and then go into Outlook 2003 and see what it does... >-----Original Message----- >All of my incoming emails in ...

Receiving messages with no text.

Plain Text in outlook 2000
In Outlook 2000 with SP2 installed we are unable to send e-mail in plain text. For example: I changed all the setting within outlook to send and receive e-mails in plain text. Every time I open a new one or reply it reads a rich text not plain text. I am able change it manually to plain text but we want it to automatically do it in plain text. We have tried all the settings inside Outlook and the recommend change to the registry: The mailto protocol for IE is set to OUTLOOK.EXE -c IPM.Note /m "%1" Still does not work Anyone have any Ideas Outlook Profiler can set thi...

Importing text using get external data
I have created a query spreadsheet that gets certain data from another spreadsheet (call it data spreadsheet). The data spreadsheet has a column where text is stored, which in some cases exceeds more than 255 characters. The query that imports such data truncates the text to the first 255 characters. Is there a way around it ? Any input will be appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Change "Y" axis from integer to text
Excel 2k Is it possible to change the range on the Y axis from numbers (0-50-100) to text (low-medium-high) without just placing text boxes on the chart? Please let me know how!! You can simulate the effect. See http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#VertCatAxis -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <077501c48c13$dde7a6b0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Excel 2k > > Is it possible to change the range on the Y axis ...