Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007

We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
box.

We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
the above error.

Hi Veera,

You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
Word.

Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit macro
attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC5468E6-394F-4DB4-94B3-E3E149330D86@microsoft.com...
> We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
> word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
> protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
> back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
> box.
>
> We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
> able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
> to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
> the above error.

0
macropod
2/15/2010 11:40:20 PM
Hi Macropad,

Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
is when they are getting the error.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
> Word.
>
> Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit macro
> attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC5468E6-394F-4DB4-94B3-E3E149330D86@microsoft.com...
> > We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
> > word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
> > protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
> > back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
> > box.
> >
> > We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
> > able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
> > to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
> > the above error.
> >

> .

Hi Veera,

This is getting confusing!

Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.

Are you working with a:
1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
2. mailmerge main document;
3. mailmerge output file; or
4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
If it's:
.. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
.. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
protected Section of the document?
If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?

Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E006A97-B011-42C1-925F-CACF679E1B68@microsoft.com...
> Hi Macropad,
>
> Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
> fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
> with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
> populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
> is when they are getting the error.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
>> Word.
>>
>> Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit
>> macro
>> attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC5468E6-394F-4DB4-94B3-E3E149330D86@microsoft.com...
>> > We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
>> > word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
>> > protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
>> > back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
>> > box.
>> >
>> > We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
>> > able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
>> > to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
>> > the above error.
>> >

>> .

0
macropod
2/16/2010 8:54:04 PM
Hi Macropad,

Sorry for the confusion.

We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
is protected allowing only editing form fields.

As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.

Hope I am clear now.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> This is getting confusing!
>
> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
>
> Are you working with a:
> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
> 2. mailmerge main document;
> 3. mailmerge output file; or
> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
> If it's:
> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
> protected Section of the document?
> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?
>
> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
>

> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E006A97-B011-42C1-925F-CACF679E1B68@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Macropad,
> >
> > Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
> > fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
> > with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
> > populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
> > is when they are getting the error.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
> >> Word.
> >>
> >> Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit
> >> macro
> >> attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

Mail merge and protected forms are mutually exclusive. You *may* be able to
get around this - see http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Hi Macropad,
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
> fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The
> document
> is protected allowing only editing form fields.
>
> As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
> the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values
> populated
> or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In
> Word
> 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
> value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
>
> Hope I am clear now.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> This is getting confusing!
>>
>> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and
>> neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
>> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
>>
>> Are you working with a:
>> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
>> 2. mailmerge main document;
>> 3. mailmerge output file; or
>> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps
>> other fields (eg Date)?
>> If it's:
>> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date
>> fields, but not mergefields)?
>> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not
>> formfields (eg Date fields)?
>> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not
>> formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
>> protected Section of the document?
>> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of
>> formfields are they?
>>
>> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds
>> to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Macropad,
>> >
>> > Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have
>> > merge
>> > fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be
>> > populated
>> > with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
>> > populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated
>> > value
>> > is when they are getting the error.

>> .

0
Graham
2/17/2010 6:41:51 AM
Hi Veera,

You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to simulate a
mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
problem, per se.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DA80389-DDC6-4FFB-9B10-41A590B4E1F9@microsoft.com...
> Hi Macropad,
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
> fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
> is protected allowing only editing form fields.
>
> As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
> the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
> or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
> 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
> value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
>
> Hope I am clear now.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> This is getting confusing!
>>
>> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what
>> kind
>> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
>>
>> Are you working with a:
>> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
>> 2. mailmerge main document;
>> 3. mailmerge output file; or
>> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
>> If it's:
>> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
>> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
>> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in
>> protected Section of the document?
>> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?
>>
>> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E006A97-B011-42C1-925F-CACF679E1B68@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Macropad,
>> >
>> > Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
>> > fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
>> > with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
>> > populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
>> > is when they are getting the error.

>> .

0
macropod
2/17/2010 9:14:30 PM
Thanks Graham. We are able to set the values in merge fields by unprortecting
th document and protecting it. But since the protection allow Editing of Form
Fields the user would like to delete the entries populated and  set their own
values. While deleting is when we are getting this error.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> Mail merge and protected forms are mutually exclusive. You *may* be able to
> get around this - see http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Macropad,
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
> > fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The
> > document
> > is protected allowing only editing form fields.
> >
> > As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
> > the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values
> > populated
> > or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In
> > Word
> > 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
> > value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
> >
> > Hope I am clear now.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> This is getting confusing!
> >>
> >> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and
> >> neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
> >> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
> >>
> >> Are you working with a:
> >> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
> >> 2. mailmerge main document;
> >> 3. mailmerge output file; or
> >> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps
> >> other fields (eg Date)?
> >> If it's:
> >> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date
> >> fields, but not mergefields)?
> >> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not
> >> formfields (eg Date fields)?
> >> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not
> >> formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
> >> protected Section of the document?
> >> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of
> >> formfields are they?
> >>
> >> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds
> >> to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
> >>

> >> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Macropod,

I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
show you the problem? How should I send this?

Or

you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.

1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms --> Text Form Field. This
creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts --> Field.
3) In the Field Names List select --> MergeField.
4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create <<Name>> inside the
form field.
5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.

We were able to do this in 2003.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to simulate a
> mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
> problem, per se.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DA80389-DDC6-4FFB-9B10-41A590B4E1F9@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Macropad,
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
> > fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
> > is protected allowing only editing form fields.
> >
> > As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
> > the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
> > or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
> > 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
> > value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
> >
> > Hope I am clear now.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> This is getting confusing!
> >>
> >> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what
> >> kind
> >> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
> >>
> >> Are you working with a:
> >> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
> >> 2. mailmerge main document;
> >> 3. mailmerge output file; or
> >> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
> >> If it's:
> >> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
> >> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
> >> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in
> >> protected Section of the document?
> >> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?
> >>
> >> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Veera,

Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to be
at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69E84BAA-4EA7-4821-8D38-4495FC5FFA45@microsoft.com...
> Hi Macropod,
>
> I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
> show you the problem? How should I send this?
>
> Or
>
> you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.
>
> 1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms --> Text Form Field. This
> creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
> Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
> field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
> 2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts --> Field.
> 3) In the Field Names List select --> MergeField.
> 4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create <<Name>> inside the
> form field.
> 5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
> formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
> Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
> 6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
> cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
> field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
> delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.
>
> We were able to do this in 2003.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to simulate a
>> mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
>> problem, per se.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DA80389-DDC6-4FFB-9B10-41A590B4E1F9@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Macropad,
>> >
>> > Sorry for the confusion.
>> >
>> > We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
>> > fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
>> > is protected allowing only editing form fields.
>> >
>> > As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
>> > the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
>> > or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
>> > 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
>> > value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
>> >
>> > Hope I am clear now.

>> .

0
macropod
2/18/2010 10:33:57 PM
Thanks Macropod.

For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
the error. The test is without intercation from our application.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
> when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to be
> at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
> post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69E84BAA-4EA7-4821-8D38-4495FC5FFA45@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Macropod,
> >
> > I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
> > show you the problem? How should I send this?
> >
> > Or
> >
> > you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.
> >
> > 1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms --> Text Form Field. This
> > creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
> > Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
> > field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
> > 2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts --> Field.
> > 3) In the Field Names List select --> MergeField.
> > 4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create <<Name>> inside the
> > form field.
> > 5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
> > formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
> > Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
> > 6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
> > cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
> > field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
> > delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.
> >
> > We were able to do this in 2003.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to simulate a
> >> mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
> >> problem, per se.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Veera,

I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert into
a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge in
all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text formfield
in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64C5B0A4-36A4-411D-9137-C61474F80E40@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Macropod.
>
> For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
> application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
> the error. The test is without intercation from our application.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
>> when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to
>> be
>> at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
>> post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69E84BAA-4EA7-4821-8D38-4495FC5FFA45@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Macropod,
>> >
>> > I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
>> > show you the problem? How should I send this?
>> >
>> > Or
>> >
>> > you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.
>> >
>> > 1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms --> Text Form Field. This
>> > creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
>> > Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
>> > field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
>> > 2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts --> Field.
>> > 3) In the Field Names List select --> MergeField.
>> > 4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create <<Name>> inside the
>> > form field.
>> > 5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
>> > formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
>> > Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
>> > 6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
>> > cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
>> > field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
>> > delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.
>> >
>> > We were able to do this in 2003.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

>> .

0
macropod
2/19/2010 2:23:40 AM
Thanks Macropod.

Should I ask the customer to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this issue or
is this how it should function?

Thanks
Veera

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert into
> a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge in
> all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
> and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
> exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text formfield
> in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
> unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64C5B0A4-36A4-411D-9137-C61474F80E40@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Macropod.
> >
> > For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
> > application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
> > the error. The test is without intercation from our application.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
> >> when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to
> >> be
> >> at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
> >> post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Veera,

Mailmerge fields and text formfields have never co-existed happily in Word documents (your Word 2003 experience aside). I doubt that
the mergefield was meant to remain as it does in the Word 2007 text formfield and be inaccessible - whether it should have been
deleted (as per Word 2000) or should have remained accessible (as per Word 2003), I don't know. So, on that basis, it might be
worthwhile taking the issue up with MS.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93EAB0C7-7F21-45AD-9A75-7B824E238D23@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Macropod.
>
> Should I ask the customer to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this issue or
> is this how it should function?
>
> Thanks
> Veera
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert
>> into
>> a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge
>> in
>> all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
>> and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
>> exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text
>> formfield
>> in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
>> unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64C5B0A4-36A4-411D-9137-C61474F80E40@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks Macropod.
>> >
>> > For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
>> > application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
>> > the error. The test is without intercation from our application.

>> .

0
macropod
2/19/2010 8:38:23 PM
Thanks Macropod for all the help....

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> Mailmerge fields and text formfields have never co-existed happily in Word documents (your Word 2003 experience aside). I doubt that
> the mergefield was meant to remain as it does in the Word 2007 text formfield and be inaccessible - whether it should have been
> deleted (as per Word 2000) or should have remained accessible (as per Word 2003), I don't know. So, on that basis, it might be
> worthwhile taking the issue up with MS.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93EAB0C7-7F21-45AD-9A75-7B824E238D23@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Macropod.
> >
> > Should I ask the customer to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this issue or
> > is this how it should function?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Veera
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert
> >> into
> >> a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge
> >> in
> >> all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
> >> and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
> >> exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text
> >> formfield
> >> in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
> >> unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

I cannot understand why your Java code is not setting the .Result of the
formfields.  That is what you should be doing if you want to
populate/pre-populate formfields with data from some other application.
Further, it will not require that application to remove and then reinstate
the protection of the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

> Thanks Macropod for all the help....
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> Mailmerge fields and text formfields have never co-existed happily in
>> Word documents (your Word 2003 experience aside). I doubt that
>> the mergefield was meant to remain as it does in the Word 2007 text
>> formfield and be inaccessible - whether it should have been
>> deleted (as per Word 2000) or should have remained accessible (as per
>> Word 2003), I don't know. So, on that basis, it might be
>> worthwhile taking the issue up with MS.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Macropod.
>> >
>> > Should I ask the customer to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this
>> > issue or
>> > is this how it should function?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Veera

>> .

0
Doug
4/16/2010 6:30:23 AM
In Java code we are setting the values using ".Result". But there are
scenarios where the user wants to update the values. That is when we are
facing this issue.

This is what we are doing

Dispatch objRange = Dispatch.call(Field, "Result").toDispatch();

Dispatch.put(objField, "Locked", new Variant(Boolean.TRUE));

Dispatch.put(objRange, "Text", attributeDO.getAttribute_value());

When the user see the value and wants to change it they go to end of the
form field and try to delete when we get the message

Sorry, I cannot help you with that.

--

> In Java code we are setting the values using ".Result". But there are
> scenarios where the user wants to update the values. That is when we are
> facing this issue.
>
> This is what we are doing
>
> Dispatch objRange = Dispatch.call(Field, "Result").toDispatch();
>
> Dispatch.put(objField, "Locked", new Variant(Boolean.TRUE));
>
> Dispatch.put(objRange, "Text", attributeDO.getAttribute_value());
>
> When the user see the value and wants to change it they go to end of the
> form field and try to delete when we get the message
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> I cannot understand why your Java code is not setting the .Result of the
>> formfields.  That is what you should be doing if you want to
>> populate/pre-populate formfields with data from some other application.
>> Further, it will not require that application to remove and then
>> reinstate
>> the protection of the document.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Macropod for all the help....

0
Doug

Adding Notes Field to a Phone Call Report
We are wanting to put together a report that lists phone calls by completed. When the report runs, we would like to have any Notes that are attached to the phone call show up in the report. Anyone know how to accomplish this? Thanks!! Cammie On Mar 25, 3:24=A0pm, Camilla Turner <CamillaTur...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are wanting to put together a report that lists phone calls by complete= d. =A0 > When the report runs, we would like to have any Notes that are attached to= > the phone call show up in the report. =A0 > > Anyone know how to accomplish ...

Help filling in form from 2 different tables
I have two tables, CustomerData and EmployeeData. CustomerData has all the address, phn, name, empid# of last employee to help em and custid (primary key) and employeedata has name addr phn and empid (primarykey) I have a combo box that pulls up custdata (by Custid sorting by Lastname & ", " & Firstname) I wanna do an Afterupdate event to fill out the following textboxes (based on the Custid it fills out the Lastname, Firstname, Address, Phnnumber) and then based on the Empid of the last Employee that helped em it will fill out the textboxes witht he first and last na...

How to set publisher 2007 as default program...
I have publisher 2007 and 2003 installed on my computer (my company wants to keep the old version in case the new version doesnt work out). Everytime I open one of my Publisher (.pub) files, it opens in Publisher 2003. My question is, how do I set all my .pub files to open in Publisher 2007 not 2003. I have searched high and low and cannot find an answer. I have already attempted set the program default, but it does nothing. (I Right-clicked, properties, Change Default program... Publisher 2007 is not listed. I browsed for the .exe file for Publisher 2007 (which has the same name as th...

MS Outlook 2007 SP2
Is MS OutlooK 2007 SP2 support for CRM4.0 Outlook client. In documentation it is mentioned MS Office System SP1. Please clarify if MS Office 2007 SP2 is supported. The documentation was prepared before SP2 was available, but what they describe are the minimum version and patch levels. Generally speaking, any patch level above the documented minimum will be fine. Dave Ireland "mvj123" <mvj123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A16700EA-5ACA-41CA-997A-9BF997E73D37@microsoft.com... > Is MS OutlooK 2007 SP2 support for CRM4.0 Outlook client. In documentatio...

Sub Form not showing all records
I have created a form (PartSuffixSubFrm) that shows Part Number, Suffix and a check box from the table PartSuffixTbl. When I open the PartSuffixSubFrm as a Form all of the Part and Suffix records in the table show up. But when I include this as a subform on my LocationFrm the PartSuffixSubFrm only shows the first Part Number and it's Suffixes. I cannot see, nor reach, the rest of the records. Can anyone tell what I have missed based on this explination? Never mind - I am actually going a different way on this project. But for others found the Parent Child relationships are what...

"the path is not of a legal form" during CRM install
Hi all, On a couple different servers while installing various CRM components I've run into an error that halts installation. On the "Select Installation Location" screen for the CRM outlook client and the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Migration manager setup I get a dialogue box with a big red X that reads "The path is not of a legal form" with an OK button. Hitting OK returns to to the installation location screen, but if you hit next it just keeps popping up, leaving you with cancel as the only option. The illegal path does not seem to refer to the install path...

Protecting Worksheets #2
Win XP HE, SP1 Excel 2002 SP3 Hi, How can I protect the 25 worsheets contained in single workbook AT ONCE? I dt want to have to do it manually for each sheet.... Tx, S You will need a for/each looping macro -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OtKnfpLAFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Win XP HE, SP1 > Excel 2002 SP3 > > Hi, How can I protect the 25 worsheets contained in single workbook AT ONCE? > I dt want to have to do it manually for each sheet.... > Tx, > S > > D...

How to protect a cell INSTANTLY the moment the data is entered!!
Hello, I want to know how to protect the cell at the very moment data i keyed in and entered without using the protection option in the tool' bar! I would like the process to be automatic!! for example: in cell B if i type in the word "king" and press ENTER! after this i must not b able to modify the word as the cell should be automatically protected if any one has a response to this please reply i would be eagerl waiting for it! thanx! Mot -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could do this by having the cell unprotected>entering the data>have a workshee...

Student Loans in Money 2007
Hi, I have four student loans all under one account with Sallie Mae. I've entered them in Money separately because they are at differing interest amounts - I make only one payment to Sallie Mae and they split it between the loans. My problem is that I dont know how to apply the one payment to the four accounts (in order to track). You can't have one Loan Payment target four different Loan Accounts. It's just a limitation. Not a great one. If I were designing it, it wouldn't have this limitation, but there it is. Assuming you want to track these as separate loans (and ...

Project 2007
One of my students has some tasks which will be repeated at different points during the project (Reoccurring task won't work in this case). Is there a way to copy and paste his extensive note information without having to open the Task Information window each time? Selecting the task row to copy and paste won't bring over the notes. In article <8FB23A12-C779-4370-9749-D9758403B352@microsoft.com>, Mikel Anne <MikelAnne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > One of my students has some tasks which will be repeated at different points > during the project (...

possible to change field code color?

executing code on access forms on different pc's
We have several access databases that we used without any problems for years. All databases are in access2003 format and have forms with VB code behind it. recently we are getting new PC's that cannot execute the forms in (MDE version) databases. It reports missing references. Opening the MDB version is no problem but then it cannot be opened on the older PC's anymore. Both old and new PC's have Office 2003 installed and are running XPSP2. The missing references are 3 files: Comct232.ocx Comdlg32.ocx mscomct2.ocx Does anyone know where these files come from? Could they belon...

How can I allow users to sort a protected table using dropdowns?
I'm trying to create a table where users can't edit the content of the cells but can edit the ordering of the table- what's the best way to achieve this? Stuart, I've written this code some time back for one of my users and it works perfectly for them. Maybe you would like to adapt to suit your needs.. Sub Sort_pr_range() ActiveSheet.Unprotect 'Unprotect the sheet Range("A1:F100").Sort Key1:=Range("B1"), _ 'where "B1" will be the sort pri Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase...

Excel 2007 & XP/Vista
I hope this is the right newsgroup for this posting, my apologies if not. If I open a workbook in Vista (which also loads Common Macros.xlsm via XLSTART) and then open another workbook this also opens the same instance of Excel. However, if I then try open a workbook in an email attachment another instance of Excel loads and I get the message "File in Use - Common Macros.xlsm is locked for editing" and I am given the option to Open Read Only, Notify or cancel. In my XP installation everything opens within the one instance of Excel without any problems. Is there anything tha...

Excel 2007
So here's my issue: Excel 2007 user opens more than one spreadsheet, however, when (in Excel) you attempt to use the Switch Windows toolbar button, it only lists ONE sheet open. Opening subsequent spreadsheets results in an individual instance of Excel for each worksheet (and for each one, if you try and switch windows, you only see the one sheet open in that particular workbook). How can I get it to behave properly, so that I have one instance of Excel open.....and multiple spreadsheets that I can switch to within the single instance of the application. Can't understand wha...

Quick Categories in Outlook 2007
Does anyone know how to get rid of Quick Categories for Outlook 2007 Tasks, but still keep the category name listed? I find the color-coded boxes annoying to look at, and god help you if you accidentally click on one, it deletes your category setting for that task. I liked the old way of creating new tasks by click on the task category, typing in the category name, hitting TAB and typing the Subject. Now you have to double-click the category to get a new Task form, type in the name, then select what color coded category you want, then hit save. Don't Microsoft programmers have an...

SendObject doesn't find fields in querry
I have a form that has a button to run an "event Procedure" to preview a report, and to email the report as a pdf attachment. The codes I use are as follows: Private Sub emailfullpricesheet_Click() DoCmd.OpenReport "Full Price Sheet", acViewPreview, , , acWindowNormal DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, "Full Price Sheet", acFormatPDF, , , , [DLRName], _ "Thank You for your business.", True End Sub In this code, I have the field for the dealer name (shown above as [DLRName]) where it would be placed in the subje...

number of fields exceeds 256 when importing from a dbf file
Hey evryone, I'm having a small problem with importing some old data from a FileMaker Pro database. According to what I found out in the groups archive the best bet is to convert it to a dbf file and then import it. However, I the number of fields in the dbf file exceeds 256, so the import wizard truncates the import at field number 256. I would now want to spread the data over two sheets. However, in the process of converting it to a dbf, quite a few of the field names get truncated and therefore have the same name, so I can't use SQL to retrieve them. My question is: what i...

Sorting by Text field of numbers
I am using Access 2003. I have created a database to help me files by "Lot#'s". Our lot numbers for one of our products is all over the place so I created the Lot # field as a text field. Ex: 02-01-01, 10000272925, 10-06-02-04-06 and 1503011 A1-02. Why does access put - 1000272925 before 10-06-02-03-05? Does this look right to anyone? My thinking is that "10" comes before "1000272925". What affect does the "-" have in sorting the numbers. Would I be better off to put a space instead of the "-"? Can anyone help me ...

Publisher 2007's PDF converter removes transparency from pictures.
Hello, I really would appreciate any help in the following issue. I have some gif pictures in my publisher 2007 document that are transparent (tried this with png pictures too). Everything looks good when I print the document to a printer. But if I use Microsoft's built-in PDF converter then the transparancy becomes "white" and that is not good. My printer requires a PDF and can't work from publisher 2007 files. Any suggestions on how to STOP publisher from getting rid of the transparency?? Thanks! I'm not seeing this. When you move the image over another obje...

Web-based Outlook bug: Cannot open mail when the subject field ends with a . (dot) character
From web-based Outlook, you cannot open any mail with the subject field ends with "." (dot) character. Outlook web will return HTTP 404: The page cannot be found. You might want to post this in an exchange group as Outlook Web Access is actually a function of Exchange, not Outlook. microsoft.public.exchange.admin is a good place to start. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.grou...

i get a message too many fields defined on ACCESS
Trying to add columns, and it does not let me. What can I do Ibz�n wrote: > Trying to add columns, and it does not let me. > > What can I do I believe the limit is 255, but you may need to do a compact and repair (see top line menu) to free up previously deleted fields. If you are anywhere over about 30 or 40 fields, you likely need to revise your table design and "Normalize" it. -- Joseph Meehan Dia 's Muire duit ...

I can't edit existing records, only add new
I created a form with the intent of being an 'add new contact' form. Well, I want to reuse the form as an edit/update contact form also. The problem is, I can't view any existing records. I have allow edits, deletions, additions enabled. Record locks = no locks. Record selector and navigation buttons = yes. What am i missing? Data Entry property Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "MeSteve" <MeSteve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11129652-032B-4966-80CC-7AAD8E18162C@microsoft.com... >I created a form with the intent of ...

Missing Fonts in Word Art

Excel VBA
Hi Excel VBA advisers! I have a userform where there are two text boxes (drugdesc1 & drugdesc2) that I want to force 4 commas to be keyed into both fields. 4 commas are MANDATORY in each text box & are used to separate the type of input within each. ie; brand name, ingredients, strength, form, pack size. (FYI: Later on, I split these fields into 4 separate columns based on the comma delimiter.) When "cmdAdd" command button is clicked, I need to display a msgbox to advise user and disallow the add. I imagine that the code (repeated for each text box) that I would put in th...