Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007

We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
box.

We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
the above error.

Hi Veera,

You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
Word.

Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit macro
attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC5468E6-394F-4DB4-94B3-E3E149330D86@microsoft.com...
> We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
> word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
> protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
> back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
> box.
>
> We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
> able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
> to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
> the above error.

0
macropod
2/15/2010 11:40:20 PM
Hi Macropad,

Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
is when they are getting the error.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
> Word.
>
> Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit macro
> attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC5468E6-394F-4DB4-94B3-E3E149330D86@microsoft.com...
> > We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
> > word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
> > protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
> > back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
> > box.
> >
> > We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
> > able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
> > to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
> > the above error.
> >

> .

Hi Veera,

This is getting confusing!

Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.

Are you working with a:
1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
2. mailmerge main document;
3. mailmerge output file; or
4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
If it's:
.. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
.. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
protected Section of the document?
If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?

Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E006A97-B011-42C1-925F-CACF679E1B68@microsoft.com...
> Hi Macropad,
>
> Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
> fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
> with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
> populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
> is when they are getting the error.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
>> Word.
>>
>> Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit
>> macro
>> attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC5468E6-394F-4DB4-94B3-E3E149330D86@microsoft.com...
>> > We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
>> > word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
>> > protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
>> > back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
>> > box.
>> >
>> > We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
>> > able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
>> > to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
>> > the above error.
>> >

>> .

0
macropod
2/16/2010 8:54:04 PM
Hi Macropad,

Sorry for the confusion.

We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
is protected allowing only editing form fields.

As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.

Hope I am clear now.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> This is getting confusing!
>
> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
>
> Are you working with a:
> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
> 2. mailmerge main document;
> 3. mailmerge output file; or
> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
> If it's:
> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
> protected Section of the document?
> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?
>
> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
>

> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E006A97-B011-42C1-925F-CACF679E1B68@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Macropad,
> >
> > Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
> > fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
> > with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
> > populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
> > is when they are getting the error.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
> >> Word.
> >>
> >> Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit
> >> macro
> >> attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

Mail merge and protected forms are mutually exclusive. You *may* be able to
get around this - see http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Hi Macropad,
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
> fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The
> document
> is protected allowing only editing form fields.
>
> As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
> the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values
> populated
> or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In
> Word
> 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
> value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
>
> Hope I am clear now.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> This is getting confusing!
>>
>> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and
>> neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
>> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
>>
>> Are you working with a:
>> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
>> 2. mailmerge main document;
>> 3. mailmerge output file; or
>> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps
>> other fields (eg Date)?
>> If it's:
>> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date
>> fields, but not mergefields)?
>> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not
>> formfields (eg Date fields)?
>> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not
>> formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
>> protected Section of the document?
>> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of
>> formfields are they?
>>
>> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds
>> to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Macropad,
>> >
>> > Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have
>> > merge
>> > fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be
>> > populated
>> > with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
>> > populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated
>> > value
>> > is when they are getting the error.

>> .

0
Graham
2/17/2010 6:41:51 AM
Hi Veera,

You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to simulate a
mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
problem, per se.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DA80389-DDC6-4FFB-9B10-41A590B4E1F9@microsoft.com...
> Hi Macropad,
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
> fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
> is protected allowing only editing form fields.
>
> As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
> the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
> or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
> 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
> value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
>
> Hope I am clear now.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> This is getting confusing!
>>
>> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what
>> kind
>> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
>>
>> Are you working with a:
>> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
>> 2. mailmerge main document;
>> 3. mailmerge output file; or
>> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
>> If it's:
>> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
>> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
>> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in
>> protected Section of the document?
>> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?
>>
>> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E006A97-B011-42C1-925F-CACF679E1B68@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Macropad,
>> >
>> > Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
>> > fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
>> > with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
>> > populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
>> > is when they are getting the error.

>> .

0
macropod
2/17/2010 9:14:30 PM
Thanks Graham. We are able to set the values in merge fields by unprortecting
th document and protecting it. But since the protection allow Editing of Form
Fields the user would like to delete the entries populated and  set their own
values. While deleting is when we are getting this error.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> Mail merge and protected forms are mutually exclusive. You *may* be able to
> get around this - see http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Macropad,
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
> > fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The
> > document
> > is protected allowing only editing form fields.
> >
> > As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
> > the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values
> > populated
> > or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In
> > Word
> > 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
> > value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
> >
> > Hope I am clear now.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> This is getting confusing!
> >>
> >> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and
> >> neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
> >> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
> >>
> >> Are you working with a:
> >> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
> >> 2. mailmerge main document;
> >> 3. mailmerge output file; or
> >> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps
> >> other fields (eg Date)?
> >> If it's:
> >> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date
> >> fields, but not mergefields)?
> >> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not
> >> formfields (eg Date fields)?
> >> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not
> >> formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
> >> protected Section of the document?
> >> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of
> >> formfields are they?
> >>
> >> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds
> >> to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
> >>

> >> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Macropod,

I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
show you the problem? How should I send this?

Or

you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.

1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms --> Text Form Field. This
creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts --> Field.
3) In the Field Names List select --> MergeField.
4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create <<Name>> inside the
form field.
5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.

We were able to do this in 2003.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to simulate a
> mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
> problem, per se.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DA80389-DDC6-4FFB-9B10-41A590B4E1F9@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Macropad,
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
> > fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
> > is protected allowing only editing form fields.
> >
> > As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
> > the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
> > or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
> > 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
> > value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
> >
> > Hope I am clear now.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> This is getting confusing!
> >>
> >> Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what
> >> kind
> >> of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.
> >>
> >> Are you working with a:
> >> 1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
> >> 2. mailmerge main document;
> >> 3. mailmerge output file; or
> >> 4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
> >> If it's:
> >> .. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
> >> .. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
> >> If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in
> >> protected Section of the document?
> >> If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?
> >>
> >> Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Veera,

Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to be
at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69E84BAA-4EA7-4821-8D38-4495FC5FFA45@microsoft.com...
> Hi Macropod,
>
> I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
> show you the problem? How should I send this?
>
> Or
>
> you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.
>
> 1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms --> Text Form Field. This
> creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
> Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
> field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
> 2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts --> Field.
> 3) In the Field Names List select --> MergeField.
> 4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create <<Name>> inside the
> form field.
> 5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
> formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
> Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
> 6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
> cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
> field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
> delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.
>
> We were able to do this in 2003.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to simulate a
>> mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
>> problem, per se.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DA80389-DDC6-4FFB-9B10-41A590B4E1F9@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Macropad,
>> >
>> > Sorry for the confusion.
>> >
>> > We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
>> > fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
>> > is protected allowing only editing form fields.
>> >
>> > As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
>> > the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
>> > or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
>> > 2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
>> > value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.
>> >
>> > Hope I am clear now.

>> .

0
macropod
2/18/2010 10:33:57 PM
Thanks Macropod.

For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
the error. The test is without intercation from our application.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
> when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to be
> at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
> post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69E84BAA-4EA7-4821-8D38-4495FC5FFA45@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Macropod,
> >
> > I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
> > show you the problem? How should I send this?
> >
> > Or
> >
> > you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.
> >
> > 1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms --> Text Form Field. This
> > creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
> > Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
> > field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
> > 2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts --> Field.
> > 3) In the Field Names List select --> MergeField.
> > 4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create <<Name>> inside the
> > form field.
> > 5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
> > formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
> > Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
> > 6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
> > cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
> > field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
> > delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.
> >
> > We were able to do this in 2003.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to simulate a
> >> mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
> >> problem, per se.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Veera,

I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert into
a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge in
all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text formfield
in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64C5B0A4-36A4-411D-9137-C61474F80E40@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Macropod.
>
> For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
> application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
> the error. The test is without intercation from our application.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
>> when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to
>> be
>> at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
>> post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69E84BAA-4EA7-4821-8D38-4495FC5FFA45@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Macropod,
>> >
>> > I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
>> > show you the problem? How should I send this?
>> >
>> > Or
>> >
>> > you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.
>> >
>> > 1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms --> Text Form Field. This
>> > creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
>> > Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
>> > field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
>> > 2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts --> Field.
>> > 3) In the Field Names List select --> MergeField.
>> > 4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create <<Name>> inside the
>> > form field.
>> > 5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
>> > formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
>> > Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
>> > 6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
>> > cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
>> > field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
>> > delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.
>> >
>> > We were able to do this in 2003.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

>> .

0
macropod
2/19/2010 2:23:40 AM
Thanks Macropod.

Should I ask the customer to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this issue or
is this how it should function?

Thanks
Veera

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert into
> a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge in
> all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
> and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
> exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text formfield
> in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
> unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64C5B0A4-36A4-411D-9137-C61474F80E40@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Macropod.
> >
> > For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
> > application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
> > the error. The test is without intercation from our application.
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
> >> when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to
> >> be
> >> at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
> >> post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Veera,

Mailmerge fields and text formfields have never co-existed happily in Word documents (your Word 2003 experience aside). I doubt that
the mergefield was meant to remain as it does in the Word 2007 text formfield and be inaccessible - whether it should have been
deleted (as per Word 2000) or should have remained accessible (as per Word 2003), I don't know. So, on that basis, it might be
worthwhile taking the issue up with MS.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93EAB0C7-7F21-45AD-9A75-7B824E238D23@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Macropod.
>
> Should I ask the customer to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this issue or
> is this how it should function?
>
> Thanks
> Veera
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert
>> into
>> a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge
>> in
>> all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
>> and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
>> exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text
>> formfield
>> in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
>> unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64C5B0A4-36A4-411D-9137-C61474F80E40@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks Macropod.
>> >
>> > For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
>> > application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
>> > the error. The test is without intercation from our application.

>> .

0
macropod
2/19/2010 8:38:23 PM
Thanks Macropod for all the help....

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Veera,
>
> Mailmerge fields and text formfields have never co-existed happily in Word documents (your Word 2003 experience aside). I doubt that
> the mergefield was meant to remain as it does in the Word 2007 text formfield and be inaccessible - whether it should have been
> deleted (as per Word 2000) or should have remained accessible (as per Word 2003), I don't know. So, on that basis, it might be
> worthwhile taking the issue up with MS.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93EAB0C7-7F21-45AD-9A75-7B824E238D23@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Macropod.
> >
> > Should I ask the customer to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this issue or
> > is this how it should function?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Veera
> >
> > "macropod" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Veera,
> >>
> >> I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert
> >> into
> >> a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge
> >> in
> >> all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
> >> and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
> >> exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text
> >> formfield
> >> in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
> >> unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> macropod
> >> [Microsoft MVP - Word]

> >> .
> >>

> .

I cannot understand why your Java code is not setting the .Result of the
formfields.  That is what you should be doing if you want to
populate/pre-populate formfields with data from some other application.
Further, it will not require that application to remove and then reinstate
the protection of the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

> Thanks Macropod for all the help....
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Veera,
>>
>> Mailmerge fields and text formfields have never co-existed happily in
>> Word documents (your Word 2003 experience aside). I doubt that
>> the mergefield was meant to remain as it does in the Word 2007 text
>> formfield and be inaccessible - whether it should have been
>> deleted (as per Word 2000) or should have remained accessible (as per
>> Word 2003), I don't know. So, on that basis, it might be
>> worthwhile taking the issue up with MS.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Macropod.
>> >
>> > Should I ask the customer to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this
>> > issue or
>> > is this how it should function?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Veera

>> .

0
Doug
4/16/2010 6:30:23 AM
In Java code we are setting the values using ".Result". But there are
scenarios where the user wants to update the values. That is when we are
facing this issue.

This is what we are doing

Dispatch objRange = Dispatch.call(Field, "Result").toDispatch();

Dispatch.put(objField, "Locked", new Variant(Boolean.TRUE));

Dispatch.put(objRange, "Text", attributeDO.getAttribute_value());

When the user see the value and wants to change it they go to end of the
form field and try to delete when we get the message

Sorry, I cannot help you with that.

--

> In Java code we are setting the values using ".Result". But there are
> scenarios where the user wants to update the values. That is when we are
> facing this issue.
>
> This is what we are doing
>
> Dispatch objRange = Dispatch.call(Field, "Result").toDispatch();
>
> Dispatch.put(objField, "Locked", new Variant(Boolean.TRUE));
>
> Dispatch.put(objRange, "Text", attributeDO.getAttribute_value());
>
> When the user see the value and wants to change it they go to end of the
> form field and try to delete when we get the message
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> I cannot understand why your Java code is not setting the .Result of the
>> formfields.  That is what you should be doing if you want to
>> populate/pre-populate formfields with data from some other application.
>> Further, it will not require that application to remove and then
>> reinstate
>> the protection of the document.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "Veera" <Veera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Macropod for all the help....

0
Doug

Word Track Changes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am working on a large document with several other people where we use track changes. The person's changes show in blue on their version of the document but when I open it they appear grey. I look at my preferences and grey isn't selected as an option. Any ideas? You most likely have the color set to Auto in which case reformatted text is marked with the default [usually black/gray] color. The other individual probably has the color set to Blue or By Author. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/14...

Any word on CRM 1.2 release date?
Has anyone heard a firm release date yet for CRM version 1.2? And will CRM 1.2 work with SBS2003 that was just released? -kw "Jim" <jim@nospam.com> wrote in message news:ehxGoPvnDHA.644@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Has anyone heard a firm release date yet for CRM version 1.2? > > This depends on where you are based. I've just got home from an MS course, and we told that in Australia it will release to the partners at the conference late next month, and will be released to customers on 12/1/04. It was also confirmed that it will run on SBS2003 - it will ru...

How to make Access 2007 Navigation pane invisible?
I have tried the Access Options. | Current Database | Navigation, uncheck Display Navigation Pane, and the vertical "Navigation Pane" still displays in a compiled .ade. Something else yet? Dean Slindee "Dean Slindee" <slindee@charter.net> wrote in message news:%23o1Zj8odKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I have tried the Access Options. | Current Database | Navigation, uncheck >Display Navigation Pane, and the vertical "Navigation Pane" still displays >in a compiled .ade. > > Something else yet? > > Dean Slinde...

Word Doc Macro help needed please!
I need to make a mocro that will work in a word doc. This macro would start with [000001] and count up one number each paragraph. For example paragraph two would auto show [000002] and so on. Any help would be GREAT! I have a word file which contains 100 pages. All the pages have name & address of companies.(not in table) i have to transfer them to excel in column format(for example first name, last name, address, phone etc) can any one tell me code for this( i know how to open word & creat new excel sheet) . I need code for how to reach to lines of word. r there any thing like &quo...

Can I replace word by word in italics?
Is there a search/replace feature in Publisher that allows you to replace a word by the same word in Italics? -- Marv Not in Publisher, but you can in Word using wildcards. Might try copy/paste into Word, do the editing, copy/paste back into Publisher Help here http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "WISEMANOFNARNIA" <COHENMARVIN@LYCOS.COM> wrote in message news:1f5149a6-f337-4db7-9aed-78132e9c9ae8@j12g2000vbl.googlegroups.com... > Is there a search/replace feature in Publisher that allows you to > replace a word by ...

Writing to word 2007
I have a 2003 access database that writes data to text fields in a 2003 word document, no problems, I have now upgraded the database to 2007, and the same code although it appears to run ok, does not actually update the word document fields, i also tried converting the word document from 2003 to 2007. I data transfer using code from within access any thoughts? So no error message; it just doesn't seem top update, right. See this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/242017 I do it with docvariables. Are you using docvariables? If so, read this: http://w...

Outlook 2007: "Cannot save free/busy information"
Hi, all I have been getting the error message "Cannot save free/busy information" from Outlook frequently these days. It started when we changed our configuration from connecting to an Exchange server on the LAN to using a proxy Exchange server that forwards (I imagine) to another Exchange server on a different LAN. I have my profile configured to deliver to a local PST file. It seems that Outlook does successfully update free/busy info on the server sometimes; the error message appears fairly randomly - e.g. sometimes when I delete a meeting request, but not every time. An...

Unable to add custom field to a view/preview
I added a new attribute to the Quote and I am able to add this attribute to the form but the new attribute does not appear in the list of fields when I create a new view. Further, the new field does not appear in the list of fields if I try to add it to the quote preview. I am able to store and retrieve the value of the new field using the API. Thanks for any info. I figured it out. JohnE wrote: > I figured it out. Hi John! How do you solve the problem? Publish and IIS reset don't help. I don't see custom fields in "Customize views", but i can see custom fields ...

Cannot open Money Deluxe 2007
New laptop, successfully using Money, then now I cannot open it. Windows keeps shutting it down. Tried running as admin. Tried uninstalling, then reinstalling. Help! -- Karen In microsoft.public.money, Karen wrote: >New laptop, successfully using Money, then now I cannot open it. Windows >keeps shutting it down. Tried running as admin. Tried uninstalling, then >reinstalling. Help! What OS? Is there an error message? Were you successfully using Money on that new laptop? Did the problem occur recently? You might want to consider a system restore point from before the pr...

active form name
Hello!! What function returns active form name? Thanks!! Cesar There is no function to return the current field, window or form name. You can track the specific windows you are interested in using PRE triggers to set a global variable with the name or id or the current window. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions polic...

Field Service V2.0
I know that there probably isn't a lot of solid info avail about feature set for V2.0 but I have seen a number of references to planned addition of some type of Field Service functionality. My question is.... Does anybody have any insight or thoughts as to whether or not the ability to schedule/dispatch techs and the ability to generate invoicing for field service calls will be included? There is something referred to as Service Scheduling in the latest information that I have seen. "SteveT" <drumguy61-google@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1102972818.458191.150090@z14...

Pulling data for a report from a form
Hi, I have a product report list that want to show the on hand qty. so i have this formula in a report field: =onHand([pkProductID],Forms!FrmMyDate!InvDateQty) but when i preview the report it shows #name? instead. Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200912/1 To refer to a textbox on another (open) form, use: =Forms!FrmMyDate!InvDateQty -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "josros60 via AccessMonster.com" <u56159@uw...

right align int fields
I would like to right align integer fields. I would like to do this in a while/for loop in onLoad event, because I have many fields. How can I see in javascript if a field (I do not mean the value of a field) is an integer. Marc ...

Using Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

in creating a pie chart in excel 2007
How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot I once tried 360 cells and got a wonderful Moiré pattern Why not just experiment with 1, 2, 3 dozen and see for yourself if the result is acceptable ? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "bsalohcin" <bsalohcin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9CF7752-1816-4DCE-BF82-9C25033AE888@microsoft.com... > How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot According to MS:- Data series in one chart 255 (max limit) Data points in a...

GST Tax Forms for New Zealand
Hi there, I have recently prchased Money 2005 Standard, ans the box has big claims about it being able to track GST on purchases etc. That all seems to be working well, except I cannot get the GST information out of it at all. How do I setup my tax forms to give me the totals that I need for my GST return? Thanks in advance Jerome Brown Dear Jerome, I also would like to display the GST in a final report. Did you have any luck elsewhere? Marcus "Jerome Brown" wrote: > Hi there, > > I have recently prchased Money 2005 Standard, ans the box has big claims > about...

One Record Per Page Printing-Access 2007
Report for daily appointments for senior transportation drivers. Report is grouped by Driver. Keep together is selected. Detail band: Keep together-Yes; Force New Page-Before Section; Can Grow-Yes; Can Shrink-Yes Goal: Report generated so each driver has his/her own appointments. Orientation: Landscape, paper size 8.5 x 14, column width: 13.5729"; column height: 0.3069" When previewing in Print Preview one record per page is appearing rather than all appointments for a driver for a given date. I have the bands as narrow as I can make them. I am missing somethi...

Microsoft Word
I have created a new Microsoft Word Form and would like to insert at the bottom a simple button or link the user can press when the form has been completed which will automatically insert the completed form into an email(as an attachment) ready to be sent. How can I accomplish this? Thanks in advance. -- KPFDCO3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KPFDCO3's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/222188.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1338781.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Redefine field data type
Hi, I am trying to write a function in a module in MS Access 2000 that will change the data type of a field called 'Start' in table 'bo_cpm_CS01ALL'. Here is the code that I have done so far but when I run it nothing happens...no errors or changes to the table. The code finds the table and field, creates a new field called 'temp' then copys 'Start' to 'temp' then deletes 'Start' and renames 'temp'. The field 'Start' has data type dbDouble. Any help would be great!! Public Function ChangeFieldType() 'Purpose: Changes a f...

outlook express 6 password problem
Help I have outlook express 6, windows xp. My internet provider just changed from att broadband to comcast. now i keep getting a password rejected error and i cant receive any mail. i cant seem to find a way to shut off the password. in my wifes page of xp it works ok. Hi, Bill - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these n...

cannot get BCM to work on Office Enterprise 2007 and Windows 7
I have Windows 7 and Office enterprise 2007 and tried to install BCM 2007 and got it installed then opened Outlook and said it could not setup database. Is BCM 2007 compatible with Enterprise and Windows 7. Is there a work around? ...

moving text from a word document to excel
I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel spreedsheet, and I have a few questions: 1. When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the same size? 2. When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How can I set it up so it is not in a long column? 3. How can I insert cells without h...

Is word clipart on commercial website newsletter for free?
Do I have permission to use the the Word clipart on my website newsletter? or do I pay royalties to anyone? See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030900871033.aspx -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "JD" <JD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CC29933-28E2-4C5A-84DD-30A0BCF19B22@microsoft.com... > Do I have permission to use the the Word clipart on my website newsletter? > or > do I pay royalties to anyone? ...

Reboots when opening Word documents in Outlook 2000
Whenever I try to open a Word document in Outlook 2000, my computer reboots. This just started happening. I have reloaded Office 2000, done virus scans and checked my pc with Spybot. Nothing has been identified. Any ideas? ...

Excel 97 Worksheet Protection and cell colour
Hi there, One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells that are locked (they have formulas in them), he then protects the sheet. He then wants to change the colour of some of the other cells, these cells are not locked, but he cannot change the colour of the cells. Is there an obvious solution? Cheers, Andy Hi AFAIK you can't do this in Excel 97 without first removing the protection -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany andy wrote: > Hi there, > > One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells > that are locked (they h...