convert auto numbered paragraph numbers to text

Now that I have finished a document that others will edit and who do NOT LIKE
auto numbering, how do I convert the auto-numbers to text?  That is,
auto-number 7 to just plan 7 text in word 2007?

Thank you

To convert autonumbering (paragraph/outline numbering and LISTNUM fields) to
plain text, do the following: Make sure the active document is the one you
want to convert. Then press ALT+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. On
the View menu, click Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
and press ENTER.
Note that if paragraph/outline numbering was applied with styles, it isn't
completely gone (CTRL+Q will bring it back!) unless you also clear it from
the style definitions.

The above was written for 2003, 2007 may differ slightly.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"Thornton" wrote:

> Now that I have finished a document that others will edit and who do NOT LIKE
> auto numbering, how do I convert the auto-numbers to text?  That is,
> auto-number 7 to just plan 7 text in word 2007?
>
> Thank you
What you suggest did not work.  But the following will work.

Alt-F11 won't work in word 2007.  You have to go into word options and
activate the developer's tab from "popular" tab.  From there, you click the
developers tab then select VBA.  Then you select the imediate window.  Then
type the command you provided.

Also, since autoformat remains on, it would be better at that point to turn
off auto number formating in the document.

As you can see, it would be better if this whole thing was a click feature
in word 2007.

"DeanH" wrote:

> To convert autonumbering (paragraph/outline numbering and LISTNUM fields) to
> plain text, do the following: Make sure the active document is the one you
> want to convert. Then press ALT+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. On
> the View menu, click Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type
> ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
> and press ENTER.
> Note that if paragraph/outline numbering was applied with styles, it isn't
> completely gone (CTRL+Q will bring it back!) unless you also clear it from
> the style definitions.
>
> The above was written for 2003, 2007 may differ slightly.
>
> Hope this helps
> DeanH
>

> "Thornton" wrote:
>
> > Now that I have finished a document that others will edit and who do NOT LIKE
> > auto numbering, how do I convert the auto-numbers to text?  That is,
> > auto-number 7 to just plan 7 text in word 2007?
> >
> > Thank you
-1
Actually, Alt+F11 should work just fine in Word 2007. In the Customize
Keyboard dialog box, see which shortcut (if any) is assigned to the
ViewVBCode command; if it's not Alt+F11, chances are a different command
could be assigned instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Thornton" <Thornton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What you suggest did not work.  But the following will work.
>
> Alt-F11 won't work in word 2007.  You have to go into word options and
> activate the developer's tab from "popular" tab.  From there, you click
> the
> developers tab then select VBA.  Then you select the imediate window.
> Then
> type the command you provided.
>
> Also, since autoformat remains on, it would be better at that point to
> turn
> off auto number formating in the document.
>
> As you can see, it would be better if this whole thing was a click feature
> in word 2007.
>
> "DeanH" wrote:
>
>> To convert autonumbering (paragraph/outline numbering and LISTNUM fields)
>> plain text, do the following: Make sure the active document is the one
>> you
>> want to convert. Then press ALT+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor.
>> On
>> the View menu, click Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type
>> ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
>> and press ENTER.
>> Note that if paragraph/outline numbering was applied with styles, it
>> isn't
>> completely gone (CTRL+Q will bring it back!) unless you also clear it
>> from
>> the style definitions.
>>
>> The above was written for 2003, 2007 may differ slightly.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>> DeanH
>>

>> "Thornton" wrote:
>>
>> > Now that I have finished a document that others will edit and who do
>> > NOT LIKE
>> > auto numbering, how do I convert the auto-numbers to text?  That is,
>> > auto-number 7 to just plan 7 text in word 2007?
>> >
>> > Thank you

0
Stefan

Converting a Microsoft Word document to a PC document

Public Folders: How to set up Auto-Reply in EX2003?
Hi guys, I've configured a public folder to receive mail from the Internet, and also set up an auto-reply rule using the Folder Assistant to reply when an e-mail is sent to the folder. The folder will auto-reply just fine if I e-mail it from within the Exchange organization, but if folks from the Internet e-mail the folder, it doesn't reply. Any ideas? Thanks! Jeff I ended up figuring out what the problem was. Just in case anyone else has this problem, what I needed to do to fix it was: - Open Exchange System Manager > Global Settings > Internet Message Formats - Right-c...

Exchange rich-text format
What are the results from the client side if I change my Exchange 2003 server to "Alwayes Use" Exchange Rich-Text format from "Determined by individual user settings"? On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:31:01 -0700, CK <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What are the results from the client side if I change my Exchange 2003 server >to "Alwayes Use" Exchange Rich-Text format from "Determined by individual >user settings"? Depends on what your users are sending messages as. Most will be using HTML or RTF anyway unless you have some policy in p...

How to Replace Numbers with Phrases
-- Jerry ...

Convert date to months
I have a database that has multiple dates in it. What I am trying to do is in one field I have a date and I am want that date to convert to months in another field. Can anyone help me on this. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200707/1 are you trying to find months between dates? or convert 4 to April? Look at format function for ways to display months, datediff function for months difference.. "bohon79 via AccessMonster.com" <u35329@uwe> wrote in message news:74ac2f3f40ce9@uwe... >I have a database ...

Importing Text File #3
Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like to replicate? I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data. Later, when I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated and would auto import when I clicked. The best part is that the import specs were retained. I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the functionality. Can someone help? Thanks Bean, It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data. It remembers all the paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, ...

If statement with formatted text
Hi, Is there any way to have an if formula such as: If (A1="Active", "KAE",KPE") where the two letters after the K are formatted as subscript? The best I've done is to paste a picture over the cell. The picture's formula refers to named formula that selects one of two cells, the one with correct string. One cell contains KAE and the other KPE with the subscript. However, it means that I'm using a picture and it would be much nicer if I could just do it in an If formula. I hope that makes some kind of sense, and thanks in advance for your help. D...

Display Part Text In Report
I hv this sample report in my field 01-01-08ABCDE.................... I want to display ABCDE........and so on...and not the 01-01-08 What should i do... Thanks zyus, Try this in the Control Source of a text box on your report: =Mid([YourFieldName],9) Caution: The text box name must be different than the field name. If they are the same, change the text box name to txtYourFieldName. Good luck. -- Sco M.L. "Sco" Scofield, MCSD, MCP, MSS, A+, Access MVP 2001 - 2005 Denver Area Access Users Group Past President 2006/2007 www.DAAUG.org MS Colorado Events Administrator www....

Sales --> Transaction Entry Auto serial strange attitude
Dear All I am using GP 10 SP2 I am using screen Sales --> Transaction Entry When I type a serial in the document, number let us say “CAI00001” “CAI00002” “CAI00003” Then if I closed the document and then I opened it again I found that the default serial is “CAI00004” which I don’t want that 1 - So I am asking why is that happening ? 2 - How can I stop that? 3 – is there is a way to tell the system not to put these default numbers and I will let the user add them by his own. Please advise me what to do I am really in a big trouble. Thank you Go to Sales Order Processing Setup Options a...

How to remove the alternative text box from the publisher email?
Hi, I have created a publisher email and have email it to myself for testing view. I find there is a small alternative text box appearing whenever my mouse cursor station at any point of the email. How to remove this alternative text box from the publisher email? Help... -- Thank you, Cpviv Sounds like all the text has was converted to an image. Try to select the text and you will see it is an image. Go to tools > Options > Web tab and under Email options uncheck the option to send as an image. If that doesn't fix the problem, reference: Tips and troubleshooting for ...

Change from MS Outlook Rich Text to HTML
I use Outlook 98 and I want to change my message format to HTML so that I can have nice backgrounds etc on my mail. For some reason this facility doesn't seem to be available to me on the 'Mail Format' Tab. It is blacked out and I cannot change it from Rich Text to HTML. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Could it be because I am on a network at work and they have disabled it? If so, how can I enable it? Cheers! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www...

Need to convert point on screen to various screen resolutions
Let's say you click on a button on your screen at 1000,2500 TWIPS and your resolution is 800 X 600. Now you change your screen resolution to 1024 X 768 and you need to click on the same button in it's new location on the screen. Who's 100 times smarter than I am and can do some tricky math that will tell me the TWIPS to find that button? I'd ned to do the same calculation for other screen resolutions like 640 X 480 etc. http://www.applecore99.com/api/api012.asp -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Donna YaWanna" <diy@mdahospital.com> wrote in message news:%23HMLEWW2...

Using cell text in a formula
I am trying to use derived cell references in a VLOOKUP formula to matc data in several tables. For example, A1 contains the cell reference fo the top left of my array (A3) whilst cell A2 contains the cel reference for the bottom right of my array (D14). The array I' checking against starts in column E3. However, when I use the formula =VLOOKUP(E3,A1:A2,4,FALSE) I get a #N/ error. I need to use the cell references in each VLOOKUP as the arra sizes may vary in each case. (PS, I've used =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(A1,A2) to derive the cell references. Ji -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

Trouble with hyhens within text when using LOOKUP
I have two columns, each containing a list of part numbers. Some of the part numbers contain hyphens. I am using LOOKUP and/or VLOOKUP to determine if the value in one column exists in the other. This works great on non-hyphenated part numbers. However, it will not find or return the hyphenated part numbers from the specified arrays. As a test, I did a quick if statement to compare the instances of identical hyphenated values that exist in both columns. Those statements did not have a problem with the hyphens. Can anyone offer any help? If hyphens cannot be used in conjunction with the ...

Saving html message as Draft changes text formatting...
WIN XP HE, OL 2002 Hi, I have recently noticed that whenever I write an email (using Word as editor) in html format, and instead of sending it, save it (to the drafts folder), the text itself changes format from my default to another one. It seems to change in the paragraph style which then changes the text format. The only change I recently made was to edit my signatures in html, rtf and plain text format. When I write a new email, it opens up with the signature already in it and perhaps there are format/style conflicts..? Tx for shedding some light into this. S As an added information, t...

How do I convert a list to an Excel file?
I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in the form: xxx,xxxxxxx,xxxxxx,x,x,xxx,xxxxxxxxx xx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xx,x I would like to convert the WORD list to EXCEL. When I attempt to open the WORD file in EXCEL, I thought a conversion window would appear....what I actually get is "incorrect format" Hi! Save the WORD file as a plain text file. Then, when you open the file in Excel a Wizard will open and step you through it. Just select COMMA as the delimiter. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in ...

auto filter data within pivot table
Hello, Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? Can we do that? It doesnt seems to work?! Thanks. Elaine. You can add fields to the page area, and use them to filter the pivot table's data. To sort a field, select a cell in a column, and click the A-Z button on the Excel toolbar. elaine wrote: > Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort > the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? > Can we do that? > > It doesnt se...

Text box jumps to left of page
Word 2004 (I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved, niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager to learn.) In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box was requested for it in...

Custom header numbering
Hi all, I have a question about formatting Header numbering throughout a new document (Word 2007). I'm trying to do the following: Heading 1 1.0 Heading 2 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.0 Heading 3 1.1.1 Heading 3 Heading 1 2.0 Heading 2 2.1 Heading 2 2.1.0 Heading 3 ... So it's an outline numbered / multilevel list, where Heading 1 has no numbering, and Heading 2 restarts numbering after a Heading 1 is used. I haven't been able to figure this one out for myselve. Can anyone help me on this one? Regards, Bert -- Neron Follow the instructions at ...

Annoying Auto correct
Please HELP. I am entering strings of numbers for street adresses, such as "137th" or "73rd" and when I advance to the next cell, Excel is automatically and INCORRECTLY CHANGING these entries to "137Th" and "73Rd". I cannot find which auto correct feature or other option is doing this to me and it is driving me crazy. Could someone help me find what I need to shut off? Jay I think it's Tools / Options / Edit / Enable Autocomplete for Cell Values turn off that checkbox. "jayceejay" wrote: > Please HELP. I am entering strings ...

How to assign unique number to column duplicates?
Hi All, I need to assign a unique number to a set of duplicates all in one column in Excel 2007. so columnA will has about 9000 numbers, some of them unique, and others are duplicates of 2-4 approx. I used to conditional formatting to show which are duplicates, but need to be able to assign a unique number to each set duplicates, that will be in sequential order... e.g. ColumnA ColumnB(unique ID) 01233 0001 01233 0001 01234 - 01255 0002 01255 0002 etc.... Any ideas please? I don't know how to do programming, just form...

sorting numbers #5
Hi were have problems in sorting out our inventory item numbers. We have over 15,000 item numbers that can't be changed or zeros deleted. The problem is when there are zeros in the item number. Excell sort CA0002 CA00020 CA0021 CA02 CA021 CA02C Needs to be CA0002 CA02 CA02C CA00020 CA0021 CA021 Thanks Darkjedi -- darkjedi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ darkjedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29153 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=488748 Since I didn't re...

Get Start date of Week number and Year
I’d like to build the following expression in my query GetStartWeekNumber(DatePart("ww",[EnteredDate]), Year([EnteredDate])) So if EnteredDate = 11/3/2009 the function would return 11/1/2009 But GetStartWeekNumber does not exist as an Access Built-In Function. Is there another way to do this as an expression in a query? I’m not familiar with creating my own functions. Thanks. That would depend on how you define the start of the week... One option would be to get the day-of-week number of the date (in my system/setup, Monday is day 2), then subtract one less than that...

instructions disppear when users begin type (text field)
Hi all, I need to customize the outlook contact form and I want to add one text field to allow users to add details info and instruct users how to add. Instructions shows in the field and the instructions disappear when users click and begin to type. How should I do this? exchange 2003/outlook2003 Thank you. It's hard for me to visualize exactly what you're expecting to happen. If you want the instructions to stay on the screen, you could display them in a label control. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumps...