content controls versus legacy controls

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the content controls found
in the gallery when you click the Developer tab, as opposed to the same
controls found when you click the Legacy controls?

I cannot figure out what the difference isw or how to explain to someone
else what the difference is, why should I use the controls on the Legacy
Control panel instead of just using the ones without clicking hte Legacy
Controls button.

Thanks,
Judy

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:50:01 -0800, Judy
<Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can someone tell me what the difference is between the content controls found
>in the gallery when you click the Developer tab, as opposed to the same
>controls found when you click the Legacy controls?
>
>I cannot figure out what the difference isw or how to explain to someone
>else what the difference is, why should I use the controls on the Legacy
>Control panel instead of just using the ones without clicking hte Legacy
>Controls button.
>
>Thanks,
>Judy

The legacy controls, as their name implies, are older -- they've been
part of Word practically forever.

The top row of buttons, Legacy Forms, create form fields that operate
only when the document is "protected for forms"; that locks all parts
of the document so they can't be edited except inside the fields.
Although that works well for a lot of uses, it also disables some
important features such as spell checking and inserting pictures
unless you use macro programming (for example,
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/SpellcheckProtectDoc.htm).

The other buttons, ActiveX Controls, are really meant for web pages
but can be used (carefully!) in other documents. They require macros
in order to operate. The article
<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140269(office.10).aspx>
explains how to use them.

Content controls are new in Word 2007. They don't need (shouldn't
have) forms protection. They don't require macros, although macros can
make them much more useful (for example,
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Mapped_Content_Control.htm). They offer some
abilities the others don't have, such as the rich text control and the
date picker. If you want to make a document where users can edit only
inside the content controls, select the whole document (or just part
of it) and use the Group button; this kind of protection doesn't
interfere with other features the way forms protection does.

The main drawback of content controls is that they can't be used in
Word 2003 or earlier, even if you have the Compatibility Pack that
lets you open docx files. If the document must be sent to others who
don't have Word 2007, don't use content controls in it; use form
fields instead.

The one content control that's missing in Word 2007 (but will be
available in Word 2010) is a check box. You can work around that as
discussed at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Custom_CC_Checkboxes.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Jay Freedman" <jay.freedman@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:50:01 -0800, Judy
> <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Can someone tell me what the difference is between the content controls
>>found
>>in the gallery when you click the Developer tab, as opposed to the same
>>controls found when you click the Legacy controls?
>>
>>I cannot figure out what the difference isw or how to explain to someone
>>else what the difference is, why should I use the controls on the Legacy
>>Control panel instead of just using the ones without clicking hte Legacy
>>Controls button.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Judy
>
> The legacy controls, as their name implies, are older -- they've been
> part of Word practically forever.
>
> The top row of buttons, Legacy Forms, create form fields that operate
> only when the document is "protected for forms"; that locks all parts
> of the document so they can't be edited except inside the fields.
> Although that works well for a lot of uses, it also disables some
> important features such as spell checking and inserting pictures
> unless you use macro programming (for example,
> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/SpellcheckProtectDoc.htm).
>
> The other buttons, ActiveX Controls, are really meant for web pages
> but can be used (carefully!) in other documents. They require macros
> in order to operate. The article
> <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140269(office.10).aspx>
> explains how to use them.
>
> Content controls are new in Word 2007. They don't need (shouldn't
> have) forms protection. They don't require macros, although macros can
> make them much more useful (for example,
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Mapped_Content_Control.htm). They offer some
> abilities the others don't have, such as the rich text control and the
> date picker. If you want to make a document where users can edit only
> inside the content controls, select the whole document (or just part
> of it) and use the Group button; this kind of protection doesn't
> interfere with other features the way forms protection does.
>
> The main drawback of content controls is that they can't be used in
> Word 2003 or earlier, even if you have the Compatibility Pack that
> lets you open docx files. If the document must be sent to others who
> don't have Word 2007, don't use content controls in it; use form
> fields instead.
>
> The one content control that's missing in Word 2007 (but will be
> available in Word 2010) is a check box. You can work around that as
> discussed at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Custom_CC_Checkboxes.htm.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
> so all may benefit.

0
Graham
1/23/2010 6:58:09 AM
Thank you so much for the explanation. This is exactly what i needed to
understand the differences and be able to explain.

Judy

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:50:01 -0800, Judy
> <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Can someone tell me what the difference is between the content controls found
> >in the gallery when you click the Developer tab, as opposed to the same
> >controls found when you click the Legacy controls?
> >
> >I cannot figure out what the difference isw or how to explain to someone
> >else what the difference is, why should I use the controls on the Legacy
> >Control panel instead of just using the ones without clicking hte Legacy
> >Controls button.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Judy
>
> The legacy controls, as their name implies, are older -- they've been
> part of Word practically forever.
>
> The top row of buttons, Legacy Forms, create form fields that operate
> only when the document is "protected for forms"; that locks all parts
> of the document so they can't be edited except inside the fields.
> Although that works well for a lot of uses, it also disables some
> important features such as spell checking and inserting pictures
> unless you use macro programming (for example,
> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/SpellcheckProtectDoc.htm).
>
> The other buttons, ActiveX Controls, are really meant for web pages
> but can be used (carefully!) in other documents. They require macros
> in order to operate. The article
> <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140269(office.10).aspx>
> explains how to use them.
>
> Content controls are new in Word 2007. They don't need (shouldn't
> have) forms protection. They don't require macros, although macros can
> make them much more useful (for example,
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Mapped_Content_Control.htm). They offer some
> abilities the others don't have, such as the rich text control and the
> date picker. If you want to make a document where users can edit only
> inside the content controls, select the whole document (or just part
> of it) and use the Group button; this kind of protection doesn't
> interfere with other features the way forms protection does.
>
> The main drawback of content controls is that they can't be used in
> Word 2003 or earlier, even if you have the Compatibility Pack that
> lets you open docx files. If the document must be sent to others who
> don't have Word 2007, don't use content controls in it; use form
> fields instead.
>
> The one content control that's missing in Word 2007 (but will be
> available in Word 2010) is a check box. You can work around that as
> discussed at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Custom_CC_Checkboxes.htm.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> .

Can I control what the recipient sees in a distribution list email
I'll need to restate the question, since I'm unsure of the terminology - actually it's a two-part question. Here goes. Part 1) Say I have one hundred people in a distribution list, that I want to send a boiler-plate email to. For confidentiality purposes, I don't want one person knowing who the other persons are. Can I set the email transmission to show (at the recipient's end) only the recipients email address and name (and noone else's). Part 2) if the answer is yes, then can I customize each email to show the person's name (in the same fashion as I ...

Contents Copying
I have a speadsheet with a Two lists of figures, One for debits and another for credits. I have several columns to the right of these figures that represent departments. I have formulai in the department columns that add the Two figures mentioned together. The formula is only entered for some of the cells in eack department depending on a code in column A. When I enter a figure in my credits column and I have a few entries already for that department, and want to go on to the next department, the figure is being calculated into both the next department column and also the next row in...

Viewing Control Characters
Hi, I want to view and edit control characters such as <tab> and <LF> in text files that I import into Excel 2007 on a Windows XP laptop. I'm not able to view or edit them even though I can verify their presence using LEN and CODE functions. It works on Excel 2007 on an XP desktop at work. The control characters show up as boxes or boxes around symbols. Is there a setup option on XP, Office, or Excel that I need to select? Thanks, Paul Try the Terminal font. For example: =CHAR(1) should display a smilelyface. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 ...

How to Set/Change Transparency to CEdit control?
Hi, How to set/change Transparency to Custom Edit control. Can I use SetLayeredWindowAttributes() to set alpha factor for CEdit control? Can I use WS_EX_LAYERED style to child (CEdit) controls? Or should I use GDI+ library feature (Gdiplus::SolidBrush(Gdiplus::Color()). At present both ways are not working for me. Since the edit control is drawn with GDI, invoking a GDI+ mechanism is not going to be terribly successful. While you might consider subclassing the edit control and returning a NULL_BRUSH, this will not produce satisfactory results because edit controls are drawn with SetBkMode(OP...

Sending cell contents thru lotus notes automatically
At work, every hour on the hour. I take the contents of certain cell and paste them into notepad and then copy them in to a lotus note stationary. This is the only way that I have found to make sure that i goes out as plain text, so that they can be emailed to several cel phones as text msgs. I would like to automate this process. This process is also used with several different pages. So I would nee something that can be easily modified as I have to send about 1 different pages every hour to different people. Also not sure if this will affect anything but we also have tw sessions of lotus ...

Error when Opening Control Panel
I'm working on an XP Home system, which in general, works fine. The requested work is done, but there's one leftover error I can't quite track down. When opening Control Panel (or when Explorer is pointing to a DVD drive and the disc is removed, or switching between category or Classic view), the search icon appears, and then a small error window appears that has to be cleared to proceed. The window title reads "Registry Error", and the text is "The system cannot find the file specified". On Clicking OK, the window closes and Control Pan...

how do I control how embedded objects are updated
I have an Excel file that I have embedded into my WORD 2007 doc. I have only pasted a portion of the Excel file, since it is large, but users can open the doc to see the whole file, since it is embedded. However, if they double click the object, and do any scrolling, the object changes. I want the default to be Open, not Edit when the object is double clicked. How do I do that? You can protect the embedded sheet (or workbook) with a password, so that it cannot be edited. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "tsoesh" <tsoesh@discussions.microsoft.com>...

SetWindowPos in tabbed control
Hi all, I am trying to include a tab control in my dialog based application. Here is what i am doing BOOL Cgui::OnInitDialog() { dlg1.Create (Cdialog1::IDD,this);//dlg1 is the object of the dialog box which i need as first tab dlg2.Create (Cdialog2::IDD,this););//dlg2 is the object of the dialog box which i need as second tab m_wndtab.InsertItem(TCIF_TEXT, 0,"Results", 0,0,0,0); m_wndtab.InsertItem(TCIF_TEXT, 1,"My Task", 0,0,0,0); Up...

Displaying text on a controls
Hi, I want to display a text on a button control and static control from a my program. I tried doing SetButtonText() API , but it is not displaying it on a button control. Is their any API's to display a text on a" Button" and "Static" controls. Hi, Use SetWindowText(if the parent is a window) or SetDlgItemText(if the parent is dialog). Thanx, Ch.T.Gopi Kumar. "lucky" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to display a text on a button control and static control from a > my program. > I tried doing SetButtonText() API , but it is not displaying it o...

Date Time Control
Hi, I'm using Date Time Pickers in my VC6 Application. In the resource editor, for the controls, I am using the "Show None" style which places a check box within the control. I would like all of the controls to default to unchecked. I have derived a class from CDateTimeCtrl called CMyDateCtrl. My Date Time Picker Ctrl m_dt is of type CMyDateCtrl. In the constructor I have CMyDateCtrl::CMyDateCtrl() { SYSTEMTIME SysTime; DateTime_SetSystemtime(this->m_hWnd, GDT_NONE, &SysTime ); } However, this doesn't uncheck the control. This code does work if the dialog box is...

Tab control grows spontaneously
Hope this is the appropriate newsgroup. If not, please advise (.. and it may be a Windows or video adapter problem) Client pointed out a problem that has existed with several forms for several years, but never bothered to inform me. Only a recent on-site visit revealed the problem. Application is developed in A97, and only recently updated to A2003 (problem exists in both versions). The problem is not present on my primary development machine (notebook) or checking machine (CRT display). It *is* present on two of the customer's desktop computers (LCD panel), but not on another desktop co...

Tree Control Problem
Hi, I am trying to show some icons in tree control with the following code, but it does not seem to work, can anyone help me with this piece of code. hIcon = ::LoadIcon (AfxGetResourceHandle(), MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_INDEX_YES)); ImageList.Add(hIcon); SendDlgItemMessage(IDC_TREC_DIRECTORIES, TVM_SETIMAGELIST, 0, (LPARAM)ImageList.m_hImageList); //this->SetIcon(hIcon, TRUE); tvinsert.hParent=Parent; tvinsert.hInsertAfter=TVI_ROOT; tvinsert.item.mask=TVIF_IMAGE | TVIF_TEXT ; tvinsert.item.iImage = 0; tvinsert.item.iSelectedImage = 0; ...

Control Arrays #2
I have a project where I want to use some customized controls. I will have to create a number of them, the number depends on the number of results that a function returns. How can I do this without crashing the prog? What's the best/most effiecient way to create an array of controls? Can CObArray be used for this? TIA b If you are getting the program to crash and arnt creating hundreds of them, then there is something wrong with your code elsewhere. If the number is so great that you are eating resource handles, consider using a virtual control approach -- - Mark Randall http...

Build a formula from contents of other cells?
Greetings I don't think it is possible to do the following: cell A1 contains: =Sheet2! cell A2 contains: G cell A3 contains: 3 cell A4 contains: +A1+A2+A3 to produce the formula '=Sheet2!G3' But is there another way to achieve this so that I can regularly change many formulas by changing the contents of one cell? thanks Dan Dan Put sheet2! in A1, G in A2 and 3 in A3 and in A4 the formula =INDIRECT(A1&A2&A3) Tony >-----Original Message----- >Greetings > >I don't think it is possible to do the following: > >cell A1 contains: =Sheet2! >cel...

Creating Server Controls
Okay, I'm stuck. I have a stack of ASP.NET books, the Internet, and a bunch of time I've spent. I've tried dozens of code samples, all of which either didn't have any effect or wouldn't compile. Can someone please let me know the secret cantation. I'm creating a server control and I want to improve the editor functionality. For example, if I have a URL property, I'd like to use the same editor that is used to edit URLs in the standard server controls (the ones that come with VS). Surely, there must be some straight forward syntax for this, and pe...

Change multple controls based on option change
I have a situation where I need to display 10 to 20 questions with three response fields (approx 6 different forms). I'd like to create a single form and populate it with the 'maximum question count' worth of controls. Then use an option button to select which questions get loaded and load the controls with the appropriate values. This way I only have one set of 'question controls' to deal with and can create a function to call with the information to populate. My big question is -- what is the best way to iterate through the 'question controls' rather then...

how to use common control like cedit,ctoolbar ... in mfc activex?
how to use common control like cedit,ctoolbar ... in mfc activex? ...

checkbox control greyed out on some records
I have a table with a series of checkboxes. In datasheet view, some of the checkboxes are greyed out....can anyone tell me why? If you check you will find they have a Null value. I imagine the field was added after those records were added or those records were appended as Null. -- Build a little, test a little. "Marge" wrote: > I have a table with a series of checkboxes. In datasheet view, some of the > checkboxes are greyed out....can anyone tell me why? ...

Combo Boxes and Controls
I have an application that has 6 combo boxes in a groupbox. When one combo box is selected and it's text properties are displayed, I want to be able to reset the other combo boxes text property. How can this be achieved?? On 1/30/2010 7:58 AM, syslock wrote: > I have an application that has 6 combo boxes in a groupbox. When one > combo box is selected and it's text properties are displayed, I want to > be able to reset the other combo boxes text property. How can this be > achieved?? The fact that they are all in one group box, to the best of my knowledge,...

How to learn Teleric controls
Dear Friends, I have to use teleric controls in my asp.net pages. I dont know how to start it? What I have to use any dll for it? If yes where Can I find it necessary requirements to work with teleric controls? Thanks & Regards Vinod Kumar Hi! Just go to www.telerik.com and download the trial version. The site is also loaded with examples. Hth, Martin "Deep" <vinodkus@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e14d57af-72a9-4ac1-8919-44073ea9d65b@q16g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Dear Friends, > > I have to use teleric controls in my as...

Set Height Property of image control
I've tried to set the image height of an image control in the OnOpen code: Me.ctlImage.Height = 1.193 * Me.ctlImage.Width such that it will conform to the aspect ratio of images to be displayed. The assignment statement didn't have any affect. With a debug stop after the statement, neither the height or width show any value. What do I need to do here to set the Height property of the image control? Thanks, Bill I see I need to do two things. One is that the width needs to be obtained with the ImageWidth property. And two, that I need to deal with these quantities being in twi...

S/MIME Control
Hi All, After I installed the OWA (Exchange 2003) S/MIME Control, sending attachments with total size more than 1 MB will fail. Not sure have anyone come across this problem? Thanks, Alex S/MIME control does not have size limitations. Try removing the ActiveX, testing, reinstall it again and test. Can you replicate the problem? Can you replicate it on another computer? Any other users having a similar issue? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Alex" <Yukon@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:OVFSOwExFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi...

Date controlled formula
Hello I would like some help on a excel formula. I have a worksheet with dates in one row and figures in other and want the totals to be shown @ another area. Example Date 01/02/2004 02/02/2004 03/02/2004 04/02/2004 05/02/2004 Amount 10 20 30 40 50 If I Input date here >>> 02/02/2004 Auto amount selected by formula in this cell = 20 & if I change the date to 03/02/2004 the amount would come up as 30 Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Zarir silverambler@rogers.com Hi Zarir, =HLOOKUP(A5,A1:E2,2,FALSE) -- Kind Regards, Niek Ot...

Control Source Property
Hi Group, I'm using the control source property in VBA to link a form text box to a worksheet cell. Although this works I have found that the worksheet cell is overwritten by the form textbox (even if not updated within the form, I set the locked property to true) when the form closes. The problem being that the worksheet cell data is a lookup formula and not just plain text! So each time it closes I lose my formula! Can someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks in anticipation DonH If you want to retrieve the value from the cell for use in the userform, then use co...

WPF Style and control access via code
Hi all! I've a problem/curiosity about WPF... I'd like to define a common style for all the windows of my application. The style should define: - background of the Window - a logo on the top-left corner - a toolbar with all the common functions for all Windows I've already defined the style in a Resource Dictionary, linked in the XAML code with Style="{StaticResource WindowStyle}". The question is: can I access the controls defined in the style directly from C# code? Actually, I'd like to add some buttons to the toolbar if the active Window allow...