Hi,
I know that I can use "File Locations" in "Options" so that whenever I use
the "Open..." command in Word, it will open to a specific folder.  I'm
wondering if there is a way that this can be applied not to a folder but to a
specific drive on a network.
Our company has a main public drive and has also assigned each of the Staff
their own private drive.  Is there a way to access the "main page" (for lack
of a better term) of my private drive each time I use "Open..." in Word?
Right now it goes to "My Computer" or to the last directory that I used
within the drive.
Thank you!

Does it not work entering the drive letter - P:\ or whatever - it's a folder
like any other.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

 www.WordArticles.com

"wastelandhysteria" <wastelandhysteria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D404E2DB-645D-49B8-A31F-827479967F9F@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I know that I can use "File Locations" in "Options" so that whenever I use
> the "Open..." command in Word, it will open to a specific folder.  I'm
> wondering if there is a way that this can be applied not to a folder but
> to a
> specific drive on a network.
> Our company has a main public drive and has also assigned each of the
> Staff
> their own private drive.  Is there a way to access the "main page" (for
> lack
> of a better term) of my private drive each time I use "Open..." in Word?
> Right now it goes to "My Computer" or to the last directory that I used
> within the drive.
> Thank you!

0
Tony
1/6/2010 8:23:35 AM
It doesn't, strangely--right now it's set to the drive name (U:\) but the
"Open" command takes me to the last folder I accessed within the U: drive.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

> Does it not work entering the drive letter - P:\ or whatever - it's a folder
> like any other.
>
> --
> Enjoy,
> Tony
>
>  www.WordArticles.com
>
> "wastelandhysteria" <wastelandhysteria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D404E2DB-645D-49B8-A31F-827479967F9F@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I know that I can use "File Locations" in "Options" so that whenever I use
> > the "Open..." command in Word, it will open to a specific folder.  I'm
> > wondering if there is a way that this can be applied not to a folder but
> > to a
> > specific drive on a network.
> > Our company has a main public drive and has also assigned each of the
> > Staff
> > their own private drive.  Is there a way to access the "main page" (for
> > lack
> > of a better term) of my private drive each time I use "Open..." in Word?
> > Right now it goes to "My Computer" or to the last directory that I used
> > within the drive.
> > Thank you!
>
> .

It is normal to do this within a Word session, but it should fall back to
your default when you restart Word. Are you saying that this doesn't happen?
That Word remembers your sub-folder across sessions?

--

message news:70CD61BB-7625-4741-BA86-E61D00AB9C9D@microsoft.com...
> It doesn't, strangely--right now it's set to the drive name (U:\) but the
> "Open" command takes me to the last folder I accessed within the U: drive.
>
> "Tony Jollans" wrote:
>
>> Does it not work entering the drive letter - P:\ or whatever - it's a
>> folder
>> like any other.
>>
>> --
>> Enjoy,
>> Tony
>>
>>  www.WordArticles.com
>>
>> "wastelandhysteria" <wastelandhysteria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:D404E2DB-645D-49B8-A31F-827479967F9F@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> > I know that I can use "File Locations" in "Options" so that whenever I
>> > use
>> > the "Open..." command in Word, it will open to a specific folder.  I'm
>> > wondering if there is a way that this can be applied not to a folder
>> > but
>> > to a
>> > specific drive on a network.
>> > Our company has a main public drive and has also assigned each of the
>> > Staff
>> > their own private drive.  Is there a way to access the "main page" (for
>> > lack
>> > of a better term) of my private drive each time I use "Open..." in
>> > Word?
>> > Right now it goes to "My Computer" or to the last directory that I used
>> > within the drive.
>> > Thank you!
>>
>> .

0
Tony

Quick print - error
I understand that the settings are stored in Dex.INI. All users have read/write access to this file - however we can only use Quick Print if the Adminstrator is logged into Windows. It must be a security issue however don't know where else to look. Any clues anyone? C Catherine, Can you give full access to the Great Plains directory to your users. Gerald "Catherine the Brit" wrote: > I understand that the settings are stored in Dex.INI. All users have > read/write access to this file - however we can only use Quick Print if the > Adminstrator is logged into...

Web based Exchange search public folders?
Does anyone know a solution for searching all public folders in one go, an application that has a web-based interface, which people can access when logged onto the server? I currently use Lookout, but that is a client side solution, and not web based. This is a thing that i would use every day if it exists. Important! Thanks PremP ...

Unable to read file #5
Dear Officer In Charge, I am using Office 2007 Professional. I have one file (I named this as target file) that contains some data that is linked to another file with protected hidden sheets (I named this file as source file). When I open the target file without opening the source file and update the links, the system will prompt me "Unable to read file.". Then, the system will help me to update the links in the file and the value in the target file becomes "#REF". However, if I open the source file, the links in the target file is refreshed with correct value. Wo...

Optimum file formats for import of xcel data to PDA?
I want to import an excel based file to a PDA. What is the best format to save the parent file in, so as to optimise the file size (or is there an optimal format?). Presently as an excel based file the size is 4M! I can remove some content which will reduce it - but not more than 1M to 1.5M ... Any idea? Don- Hi It really depends how much information you want. If you only need to get the actual data in (rather than the format too) then use CSV. This will probably be as small as you can get. -- Andy. "Don Niall" <donniall@aol.com> wrote in message news:2bcde01c468ec...

Outlook 2003 cannot see public folder
Just migrate from 5.5 to ex2003. Win2K3 Sp1 and Ex2003 Sp1. Some minor issues. I have a problem with a set of public folders. They are replicated from 5.5 and 2003. I have a user whose has permission to read/write/delete message on those public folders. When using Outlook 2003, the user cannot see content. The user can see the folder and sub-folder, but not any message. The error message is: Unable to display the folder. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator. Now the user can use Outlook 2000 ...

recovery a users folder
Hi I need to recover a users mailbox (well need calender and tasks mainly) i cant seem to move the folder to a user (using sbs2003 - exchange 2003) using exmerge, get to the last bit but the folder is blank and i cant select, any ideas on how to recover. thanks Have you tried using a recovery storage group? Here's the documentation for RSGs, which includes some troubleshooting infortmation for Exmerge as well. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/ue2k3rsg.mspx Tammy Treit Exchange User Education This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warran...

New folder created under the mailbox does not have the subject and receive colum
New folder created under the mailbox does not have the subject and receive columns by default. It must be added through the View menu. Any way to get these columns to default in every new folder created? Thank You Check out Views:CurrentView: DEFINE VIEWS. At this menu location you can set the view defaults and not just a single or custom view setting... "Nat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:053601c3dc93$87f3c930$a101280a@phx.gbl... > New folder created under the mailbox does not have the > subject and receive columns by default. It ...

changing page numbers
I cannot find out how to change my page numbers in a Publisher document in 2002 version. It doesn't come up with Options. Anyone know? Go to menu Insert then Section -- ...

Sub folders...
Hi, Anyone knows a way to create sub-folders within Account... Account/clients Account/prospects Account/partners etc... -- Best Regards, Benson Yeung Triware Networld Systems Best bet for this would be to classify the Accounts then add Views that only display Accounts that meet the indicated clissification. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Benson Yeung" <BensonYeung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53A4CDFC-FD0D-402C-89D2-58DFCD9E3D45@microsoft.com... Hi, Anyone knows a way to create sub-folders within Account... Account/clients Account/prospec...

File size is larger in XP than in Excel 97
Has anyone noticed that excel files that contain imported data are larger in XP than in 97? Why, any ideas? Thanks Kathy .. ...

Not all .dbx folders were deleted
Windows XP Pro SP2 Outlook Express 6 Yesterday I had a .dbx folder in the Identities store folder of 200 MB that I didn't need any more so I went into Outlook Express, found the folder and deleted it. Today, I did a search for the rest of the associated documents elsewhere on my computer, which added up to 92 MB, of which, *78 MB was listed in the search as .dbx folders from the same Identities number.* Is there something about Outlook Express that would keep 78 MB of .dbx folders after I had already deleted the folder in OE? And what would this 78 MB of .dbx folders ...

Access 2000 /Jet/ BLOB/mdb file structure
Could someone direct me to a reference which gives a byte-level description of mdb files written by MS Access 2000, including whatever native internal variables or pointers there are and their typical locations? Thank you. Richard Bonomo rbonomoXXX@madisonwaterYYY.orgZZZ_drop_caps Richard Bonomo <Richard Bonomo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Could someone direct me to a reference which gives a byte-level description >of mdb files written by MS Access 2000, including whatever native internal >variables or pointers there are and their typical locations? Thank you. Mi...

How to keep the print output colour setting for the same file?
I have two Excel files saved in a network drive. And I access the files in two different servers in a separate location. I have no problem printing both the files with the correct setting (especially the print output colour) that I saved with the files using one of the servers. However, when I try to print the same files in the other server; one of the files print setting has changed to black and white. These files are the same files that I opened in a same network drive. Wondering why one file print setting works and the other doesn't. Can anyone can help? ...

help locate address book
i moved my pst file to my new computer, got my folders, contacts, and calendar, but seemingly no address book. is there a separate file i need to copy over? tia Not normally since you usually use your Contacts folder as an address book. If you right click on the Contacts folder and go to the Outlook Address Book tab can you check the "Show this folder as an email address book" box? Also, which version of Outlook are you using? <sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message news:ah3tk19th4hk07ch88v8d2vb73qtk0ndgg@4ax.com... >i moved my pst file to my new computer, got my folder...

Unable to open default folders
Hello: We are running Exchange 5.5, and we are not able to connect. Most PC's are running Outlook 2000 and connection was fine until one day ago. Now, whenever we try opening Outlook it says "Unable to open default folders. Microsoft Exchange Server computer is unavailable..." I have tried restarting the server. Right when the server comes back, I can connect using Outlook (sluggishly). Then after a few minutes the connection fails. I can ping the server, and I have tried altering DNS settings. The exchange services on the server are also "started". Thank you v...

How do I change a shape but retain the text?
E.g., In cross functional flow diagram I want to replace a predifined process shape with text in it with another shape whilst retaining the text. you might check this out http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/ al "Parkbenchmutant" <Parkbenchmutant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68BC65ED-6801-495A-A7E8-3BAF4837AE7B@microsoft.com... > E.g., In cross functional flow diagram I want to replace a predifined > process > shape with text in it with another shape whilst retaining the text. Thanks Al, I was kind of hoping that Visio would have thi...

Easily change smtp servers for all email-accounts
People, I got my laptop with me basically everywhere I go, but I find it totally annoying that I have to change the smtp-server settings for each and every account when wanting to send mail from a different location than the time before. I have about 15 accounts that I regularly recieve email to and ehwn I reply to these I always have to change the smtp-server. Is there a way to fix this easily for all accounts? Best regards, Henning Frettem Oslo, Norway I should probably mention that I run MS Office 2002 SP3 ...

How do I change the thickness of a bottom boarder in Excel 2002?
In Word you can change the thickness of the line used in boarders - but I can not change the thickness in Excel. Is there any way to do this? Thanks. try Sub bottomborder() ActiveCell.Borders(xlEdgeBottom).Weight = xlThick 'xlmedium or xlthin End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B24E39F0-58BF-47AD-AE42-716CBA2C9C54@microsoft.com... > In Word you can change the thickness of the line used in boarders - but I can > not change the thickness in Excel. Is there any way to do this? ...

Need to change serial numbers
Accidently installed same serial on another networked machine. Only discovered this a couple weeks later. I believe there's an easier way to change the serial rather than deinstall and reinstall, but the solution is not obvious by any means. Any thoughts? TIA -- To reply by email, remove the word "space" In article <labolide-3A61D4.10003212022007@news.giganews.com>, Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote: > Accidently installed same serial on another networked machine. > Only discovered this a couple weeks later. > I believe there's an easier way to ...

changing font i word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel no matter what I do (normal.dot styles etc) to change the default font (to verdana or anything else) in word it's change back to times new roman. What should I do ?? ...

Account details "Changing themselves"
I am using Outlook 2000. My ISP has been reorganising (the notorious BT/Yahoo! merger) and Email has been very difficult: download hangs in first message, multiple passowrd requests, etc. Looking in Account > server information I see the incoming mail server had been changed (not by me) from mail.btinternet.com to localhost and my account name had had /mail.btinternet.com added to it. Changing back manually to the original settings APPEARS to fix things, at least mail download is now much more reliable. It is worthwhile/possible to make these settings read-only? Any ideas as to why t...

Change + to -
Hi, If a result in a cell is for example 10, I want the result to be -10. If the result in a cell is -8, I want the result to be 8. How is this done? / Ulf Hi Ulf! You can use the following formula (value in cell A1) in an empty cell: =A1*-1 Then copy this cell and use Paste Special, Values, to remove the formula Best regards Stefan H�gglund Microsoft "Ulf NIlsson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3e1101c47f70$79751f00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > If a result in a cell is for example 10, > I want the result to be -10. > If the...

Preflighting Excel files
Is there a way to preflight (check for problems before printing) Excel files (I already know that Flightcheck doesn't work). Any suggestions? Martin Martin There is a Before_Print event macro that you can use for such checking. Of course, that macro is blank. You would have to write in the necessary code to do the checks you want. Can you list the checks and the criteria for each? Writing the code is straight forward once you have listed the checks and criteria. HTH Otto "martindaylor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21d201c49...

File Open Initial Directory
Hi, I have a simple question: How does an application choose the initial directory to open when the user selects File->Open? I mean, when first run, the application usually opens the File Open dialog in the "My Documents" folder, but the next time, it will open in the last folder used by that application. How does the application know which folder was last used? I thought it could be from the MRU files, but I deleted them from the registry and my application still knows which was the last folder used. Any ideas? Thanks Mikel It uses the current directory, whatever that is. N...

MS Money Old Files
I have been runing MS Money 97 the file format is .mmy, I have a new computer and upgraded to Microsoft Money Essentials. But now I can't seem to get my old files to transfer over. How can I save my old files so that they can be used by the new program or I am out of luck and have to stick with MS Money 97?? MEss does not deal with existing Money files. It's strictly for new Money users who don't really want to go to the trouble to manage their finances but want to think they are doing something along those lines. Upgrade to Deluxe. You'll be happier. And you'll be ...