caption, text box, and frame

I inserted a picture (a bitmap), cropped and sized it to fill the page
from side to side, and positioned it 1.5" from the top "margin" so
that it would be at the top of the text area.

I then clicked on Insert Caption and got the usual panel offering
"Figure 1" as its label. Instead of simply inserting a paragraph in
Caption format as usual, it inserted a text box with the caption label
in it. When I typed the content of the caption, the following body
text reduced to a single line. Dragging the picture's anchor to a
different paragraph made whole paragraphs appear or not on the page --
and also made the caption disappear.

I right-clicked the text box to see if it had a "space after" setting,
or some such, and an option was "convert to frame." When I did that,
the body text came back to fill up the bottom of the page.

Why would a text box prevent all but one line of text from appearing
below it?

(All the keep-with options are unchecked -- next, together, and widow/
orphan.)
0
Peter

If your picture were inserted In Line With Text, then the caption would not
be in a text box but rather in an ordinary text paragraph, and none of this
would be an issue. Since you seem to need to have the picture page width
rather than just margin width, it will have to be wrapped, and so,
presumably will the caption, but you need to check the Advanced Layout on
both the picture and the text box to see what is causing the problem you
experienced. Note that both the picture and the caption (as currently
formatted) have to be anchored to some text paragraph. You seem to be aware
of that since you mention moving the anchor. There are also many mysterious
check boxes in the Advanced Layout dialog that may be of significance.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I inserted a picture (a bitmap), cropped and sized it to fill the page
> from side to side, and positioned it 1.5" from the top "margin" so
> that it would be at the top of the text area.
>
> I then clicked on Insert Caption and got the usual panel offering
> "Figure 1" as its label. Instead of simply inserting a paragraph in
> Caption format as usual, it inserted a text box with the caption label
> in it. When I typed the content of the caption, the following body
> text reduced to a single line. Dragging the picture's anchor to a
> different paragraph made whole paragraphs appear or not on the page --
> and also made the caption disappear.
>
> I right-clicked the text box to see if it had a "space after" setting,
> or some such, and an option was "convert to frame." When I did that,
> the body text came back to fill up the bottom of the page.
>
> Why would a text box prevent all but one line of text from appearing
> below it?
>
> (All the keep-with options are unchecked -- next, together, and widow/
> orphan.)

0
Suzanne
5/13/2010 10:09:38 PM
I've only seen one anchor ... If it's In Line With Text, there's
nothing to keep it at the top of the page. The image is a map in a
circle, and the diameter of the circle is the width of the text area.
If I change the picture to In Line With Text and then insert the
caption, will it be a normal keep-with paragraph? And then when I
change the picture back to something that can be positioned, ...?

I have to do all this because the Berkeley Linguistic Society insists
on using Word as a typewriter -- they want a .doc not a .docx file,
but all vertical spacing has to be done with empty paragraphs, and all
subhead numbering has to be done by typing the numbers -- and it has
to be submitted camera-ready, with all the images placed.

And this year they claim they're publishing on-line only, so the whole
thing is going to get converted to some web format later on anyway!

On May 13, 6:09=A0pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> If your picture were inserted In Line With Text, then the caption would n=
ot
> be in a text box but rather in an ordinary text paragraph, and none of th=
is
> would be an issue. Since you seem to need to have the picture page width
> rather than just margin width, it will have to be wrapped, and so,
> presumably will the caption, but you need to check the Advanced Layout on
> both the picture and the text box to see what is causing the problem you
> experienced. Note that both the picture and the caption (as currently
> formatted) have to be anchored to some text paragraph. You seem to be awa=
re
> of that since you mention moving the anchor. There are also many mysterio=
us
> check boxes in the Advanced Layout dialog that may be of significance.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote in messagenews:a266b77e-=
e18a-4197-b20a-4b4e78b4838e@e2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...

> >I inserted a picture (a bitmap), cropped and sized it to fill the page
> > from side to side, and positioned it 1.5" from the top "margin" so
> > that it would be at the top of the text area.
>
> > I then clicked on Insert Caption and got the usual panel offering
> > "Figure 1" as its label. Instead of simply inserting a paragraph in
> > Caption format as usual, it inserted a text box with the caption label
> > in it. When I typed the content of the caption, the following body
> > text reduced to a single line. Dragging the picture's anchor to a
> > different paragraph made whole paragraphs appear or not on the page --
> > and also made the caption disappear.
>
> > I right-clicked the text box to see if it had a "space after" setting,
> > or some such, and an option was "convert to frame." When I did that,
> > the body text came back to fill up the bottom of the page.
>
> > Why would a text box prevent all but one line of text from appearing
> > below it?
>
> > (All the keep-with options are unchecked -- next, together, and widow/
> > orphan.)-
0
Peter
5/14/2010 1:35:57 PM
Ye gods! I feel your pain. Yes, if the picture is inline, the caption will
be inline, and you can then rewrap the picture. But if the map is the width
of the text area (i.e., between the margins), I would leave it inline and
format it as "Page break before" (unless you're wrapping text around it, in
which case you're already not using Word like a typewriter). Unless you can
submit the document as a PDF, I don't see how it can be transmitted
digitally and be guaranteed to be camera-ready.

--

On May 13, 6:09 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> If your picture were inserted In Line With Text, then the caption would
> not
> be in a text box but rather in an ordinary text paragraph, and none of
> this
> would be an issue. Since you seem to need to have the picture page width
> rather than just margin width, it will have to be wrapped, and so,
> presumably will the caption, but you need to check the Advanced Layout on
> both the picture and the text box to see what is causing the problem you
> experienced. Note that both the picture and the caption (as currently
> formatted) have to be anchored to some text paragraph. You seem to be
> aware
> of that since you mention moving the anchor. There are also many
> mysterious
> check boxes in the Advanced Layout dialog that may be of significance.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote in
> messagenews:a266b77e-e18a-4197-b20a-4b4e78b4838e@e2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
>
> >I inserted a picture (a bitmap), cropped and sized it to fill the page
> > from side to side, and positioned it 1.5" from the top "margin" so
> > that it would be at the top of the text area.
>
> > I then clicked on Insert Caption and got the usual panel offering
> > "Figure 1" as its label. Instead of simply inserting a paragraph in
> > Caption format as usual, it inserted a text box with the caption label
> > in it. When I typed the content of the caption, the following body
> > text reduced to a single line. Dragging the picture's anchor to a
> > different paragraph made whole paragraphs appear or not on the page --
> > and also made the caption disappear.
>
> > I right-clicked the text box to see if it had a "space after" setting,
> > or some such, and an option was "convert to frame." When I did that,
> > the body text came back to fill up the bottom of the page.
>
> > Why would a text box prevent all but one line of text from appearing
> > below it?
>
> > (All the keep-with options are unchecked -- next, together, and widow/
> > orphan.)-

0
Suzanne
5/14/2010 3:24:04 PM
Get this: They want a Word file, and either a pdf or a paper copy to
guide them as they prepare it for publication! The best part is that
they sent the instructions as both a .doc file and a pdf and suggested
simply replacing the text of the .doc file with the text of the
article, so that the formatting would be correct.

Which would be fine if they'd used Styles for the various required
elements (title, author, affiliation, headings, text, references).

But they didn't. It's obviously a legacy instruction from back when
word processing was new.

(I want the text to simply flow around the images, a snap in
FrameMaker and perhaps in InDesign. But I also want the captions to
stay with the pictures!)

On May 14, 11:24=A0am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > > "Figure 1" as its label. Instead of simply inserting a paragraph in
> > > Caption format as usual, it inserted a text box with the caption labe=
> > > in it. When I typed the content of the caption, the following body
> > > text reduced to a single line. Dragging the picture's anchor to a
> > > different paragraph made whole paragraphs appear or not on the page -=
-
> > > and also made the caption disappear.
>
> > > I right-clicked the text box to see if it had a "space after" setting=
,
> > > or some such, and an option was "convert to frame." When I did that,
> > > the body text came back to fill up the bottom of the page.
>
> > > Why would a text box prevent all but one line of text from appearing
> > > below it?
>
> > > (All the keep-with options are unchecked -- next, together, and widow=
0
Peter
5/14/2010 4:07:48 PM
Perhaps we should all barrage them with email telling them they're living in
the dark ages?

--

On May 14, 11:24 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > > that it would be at the top of the text area.
>
> > > I then clicked on Insert Caption and got the usual panel offering
> > > "Figure 1" as its label. Instead of simply inserting a paragraph in
> > > Caption format as usual, it inserted a text box with the caption label
> > > in it. When I typed the content of the caption, the following body
> > > text reduced to a single line. Dragging the picture's anchor to a
> > > different paragraph made whole paragraphs appear or not on the page --
> > > and also made the caption disappear.
>
> > > I right-clicked the text box to see if it had a "space after" setting,
> > > or some such, and an option was "convert to frame." When I did that,
> > > the body text came back to fill up the bottom of the page.
>
> > > Why would a text box prevent all but one line of text from appearing
> > > below it?
>
> > > (All the keep-with options are unchecked -- next, together, and widow/

0
Suzanne

Bound Object Frame
I have a database that uses a bound object frame, I want to use the path of the object frame to paste the picture in to excel, but when I write myimage.sourcedoc it allways has an empty string.I would like to know how can i display the path for a bound object frame?Thanks...

Need message box to be at front of screen
Greetings all. I have set a timer on a form which has a message box that pops up at defined intervals telling the user they are still being timed. The problem is that if they are using another application with access minimized, the message box is not visible until they minimize all other applications that are on top of it. Is there a way to make the message box show on top of all other open applications? I am using Access 2003 with XP Pro. Thank you. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com If you are using the Access application to pop up an Access messagebox, I ...

Insert Check Box
Can anyone tell me how to insert a simple check box in an Excel worksheet. I have the actual check box on my worksheet, but when I click it, I want a checkmark to appear...and that is not what it is doing. Please help. Krista, Then what DOES it do when you click it? Does it select the check box (put handles around it)? -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Krista Cook" <ekcook@comcast.net> wrote in message news:3E293822-F641-4DD5-844A-91459560293F@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me how to insert ...

Displaying Message from event sink to Edit control in dialog box
Hai I am working on FTP Software using MFC and i have to write the ftp server request and response to tracer window. The server request and response were caught by Eventsink and i donot know how to pass this text to edit control in dialog box which is another class. Here is coding of Event Sink / EventSink.cpp : implementation file // #include "stdafx.h" #include "RoboFTPClient.h" #include "RoboFTPClientDlg.h" #include "Eventsink.h" #ifdef _DEBUG #define new DEBUG_NEW #undef THIS_FILE static char THIS_FILE[] = __FILE__; #endif extern long gnResult...

Captions and Citations won't format differently on same line.
Sir/Ma'am, Here's my issue: I have several figures in my document, which I have captioned using the "caption" command. Additionally, I have given the source for the caption as well. For instance: "Figure 1: Elm Tree (Jones, 2007)." I have created a Table of Figures, and the table of figures views the citation as part of the caption. When I try to select the citation and change it to normal text style (so the table of figures won't recognize it as captioned text) it will not let me change it if it is on the same line. My style book requ...

Text in Comments
I apologise if this is a commonly asked question but work pressures are such that I can't spend ages looking through the forums for the answer. Is there a way to get the text from an inserted comment and put the text into a cell?, other than opening the comment and copying and pasting the information into a cell. Thanks. Hi this would require VBA (a user defined function). e.g. try the following: Public Function get_comment(rng As Range) Application.Volatile get_comment = rng.Comment.Text End Function Try =GET_COMMENT(A1) in your worksheet. Note: returns an error...

How do you add text after a formula?
I'm working on creating a report. At the top of each section is a mont that I type in. At the bottom I want a cell to display that month an also add the word "Total". So for example I have May listed in Cell B3 I now want "May Total" to be listed in cell B36. I know if I want it t display just "May" I'd enter =B3 but how do I make it add the Tota part? Thanks in advance for any help -- Wease ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Weasel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2720 Vie...

MS Query convert text to #
I am querying a data base that is returning a number as text. Is there a way to convert the text to an actual number in the query, before it is returned to excel??? Thanks to everyone that replies. In Microsoft Query, you can create a calculated field. For example, if the field name is ItemCode: Click in a blank column heading Type an expression to convert the text to a number, e.g.: ItemCode+0 or CLng(ItemCode) Return the data to Excel Shane wrote: > I am querying a data base that is returning a number as > text. Is there a way to convert the text to an actua...

check Text
Dear Gentlemen, I have typed a text in a cell. Now want to have formula which checks that the required text is in the cell or not. For example cell A1 contains rth In Cell B1 I want the formula =IF(A1=rth)..... But whenever I type the above type of formula an error message occours Please give suggessions. Thank you G.Karthi -- fitzol ------------------------------------------------------------------------ fitzol's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33328 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=531506 =if(a1=&quo...

failed to send item dialog box when sending(why)
I keep getting failed to send item when I hit send on outlook ...

Paste a number as text
We often use the copy paste function to export some data from our software into excel for further analysis. In one colomn we have a text field which containes sometimes only numers like "23000.3000". If we copy and paste this field, the result in excel would be "23000.3". (It is interpreted as number) We tried already to add a ' before the value but the the ' is showed as normal letter. Is there any solution to paste any number as a text in Excel without programming a full Excel automation. Thank you for your help! If it's just one cell, format it as text ...

How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells
How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... =A1&".gif" "Wanda_pb" <Wanda_pb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D20A2D9-3BFF-4BA2-A85D-7F5FD229A62A@microsoft.com... > How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to > repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... Thank you, that was very helpful, but I guess I should have mentioned there were "/" also in the text. When I did your sugge...

leading zeros in text format
I receive bulk orders via an Excel spreadsheet, containing many individual orders with reference numbers. The reference numbers may be 7-9 digits long, however the field needs to have 10 digits. The format is set to customize: 0000000000. In this manner, we always see the 10 digits regardless of the actual number. The problem we have is that we bulk-load this spreadsheet through a specific custome built bulk-loader. This reference number field must have 10 actual digits, not format digits. Therefore a number such as 00865243 becomes 865243 and then will not run through the bulk loa...

Moving the full text index property store
Hi, We are not using FT indexing, but the following directories exist in our clustered environment, i wish to move these from the existing disk to a new volume. X:\EXCHSRVR\ExchangeServer_%servername%\Config X:\EXCHSRVR\ExchangeServer_%servername%\GatherLogs X:\EXCHSRVR\ExchangeServer_%servername%\Projects I notice that you can use the pstoreutl.exe program to move store logs, does this move all three folders? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/08728b4b-6416-40c5-a5a9-8458d1012fbf.aspx Thanks Matthew Actually, there is a more specific article that talks about how to move the ...

Wrap and merge text will not show all lines
I am using a required formate for a report done in Excel. The odd lines use 5 blocks and the even lines use these blocks merged into one to fill with text. When the data is 9 or more lines long it quits wrapping so cannot be read. My report is due and I cannot figure out how to fix this. Any ideas or is this a program problem? Text does stop wrapping in a cell after about 1000 characters. You might consider putting the text in a text box (from the Drawing toolbar). -- Jim "jar57" <jar57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8DA7311-306A-413F-B31E-4C3...

MS CRM Full Text Index for Attachements
As many have experienced, finding something after you've put it into MS CRM can be difficult. In an attempt to solve this problem specifically for file attachments (to emails, notes, etc.), I'm toying with the idea of adding full text indexes to the AnnotationBase table. And then creating an SDK front end to do the searching. Has anyone configured MS CRM in this way? Is there a better way to accomplish searching documents that are attached and in the database? Thanks, Dean Dean, I'm not sure this will work. The attachments are stored as BLOBs in the database so I don'...

Catalog merge prints a '0' instead of my merged text
When using Publisher 2007 catalog merge with an excel data source, some of my merged fields print as 0 instead of the source text. My excel spreadsheet column(s) are formatted as 'text'. The merging problem seems to occur when I have numbers in the excel column, particularly if the excel cell contains somethink like '10" to 20". I have tried using the single quote in excel field to designate the entry as text with no success. Any ideas? It seems to me you can format the field as text without the quote. I advise folks that use zip codes that start with a zero to f...

Text box validation 01-04-08
I have a form with several text boxes that I want to check for duplicate values in the table. The PK inthe table is an Autonumber. What I want to do is not allow the FirstName LastName FileNo and SSN to be the same for any two records. The combination of these fields would garuntee that the same individual would not be allowed to have two records created. You could set a unique index in the underlying table on those four fields. This would disallow the entry of duplicates (but only after the fact -- after the user entered values and tried to save them). Another approach would be to g...

Condensing text values from one wksht to another
I have text data in column A of sheet one that is too lengthy. I wish to condense the data by copying JUST that data that leads up to the first space (break in the string)and copy to column A of sheet two. Example: blah,blah,blah blahhhh becomes blah,blah,blah. Is there a formula for the destination cell in sheet two that will accomplish this task, or does it require vba? If so, could someone walk me through it?? I am nearing desperation. Please help!!!! Jayceejay, In cell A1 of sheet2 fill in this formula and copy it down to A?? =LEFT(Sheet1!A1,FIND(" ",Sheet1!A1,1)-1) I ass...

Excel 2007: Return rownumber when text data on 3 columns match exa
Using: Excel 2007 I want to document Windows Group Policy settings side by side on a single sheet. To accomplish this task I want to return the row number of the current sheet where the data of the row that has an exact match. The data I want to lookup is in three colums. Example: Column B | Column C | Column D ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Policy | Control Panel | Load a specific visual style Policy | Desktop | Do not add shares Policy | Desktop | Hide Network Location...

.ps1 attachment preview with text previewer
How can I get .ps1 files to preview with the built-in text preview handler. I have unblocked the .ps1 attachments so I can see them (in the registry) and I have associated the .ps1 extension with the built-in text previewer but I still get the message "This file cannot be previewed. Try opening the file in the program in which it was created". I am an instructor and I have students send their homework in via e-mail. Often times I like to quickly view the scripts without saving the attachment. This is not a security risk because you can't execute a powershell script dir...

Trim blank space within text
How can I remove the white space in text? eg. "12( 35)" into "12(35)" "12 3 5" into "1235" "123 (5)" into "1235" Possible to be done using TRIM function? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Celia Try using the SUBSTITUTE function. Using this you can substitute all of the spaces with "" Andy. "celia" <celia.xe2vb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:celia.x...

SEARCH COPY OF TEXT
We have an excel spreadsheet with names and addresses in columns On 3 different worksheets. Is there a way to have excel search the doc for same entire data. ex: Jane Doe Joe Davis Jane Doe _ Exel would see that and stop since there is a Jane Doe already entered? Please help I really don't want to ctrl -f 380 times to make sure.. Thanks to anyone that replies So you have some kind of cell that's used for data entry and you want to check if that name appears in any of those other 3 lists? If I used A1 on Sheet1 as my data entry cell, I could put this in B1: =if((countif(sheet2!a...

Rich Text Edit Double Click Parsing
I've got a rich edit control. When I double click the numbers in the text "15:34.534" I get the numbers, and not the entirety of the text. How do I change this behavior? I can do it programaticly, but I know there is some nifty way out there to do it. Anyone know that way? You could subclass the control, intercept the double-click, and do whatever you want. There is a character-from-point function, CharFromPos, that will allow you to start a two-way parse to do it yourself. joe On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:04:14 -0500, "Lee Coleman" <vasic@cox.net> wrote:...

How do I resize a data label box in a pie chart to stop text wrapp
How do I resize a data label box in a pie chart to stop text wrapping? Excel decides how large to make these pseudo text boxes, based on the chart size, the amount of text, and the font properties. Aside from changing these, you have no control over the label sizes. You could replace the labels with textboxes, but these don't stay attached to a data point. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "Eton Careers" <Eton Careers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B18C20DE-FD79...