Cannot associate .doc files with Word 2007 on Windows 7

I have Word 2007. I double click a doc file and a dialog opens asking me
which program to open it with. Word is not among the options. So I click
"Always use the selected program ..."and then go into "Browse ..." find my
Offce12 folder and the winword.exe file, select it, and ... nothing happens.
Doc files continue to have no association.

So I tried the built-in diagnostics on Word 2007, and it was ok. Then I
tried "winword /r" to re-register Word 2007. It seemed to run to completion,
but it made no difference.

I cannot associate doc files with Word 2007 (under Windows 7, at least), no
matter what I do. I've seen in other forums other people with the same
problem, but no one has been able to solve it.

Any suggestions?

I have Word 2007 installed. I have run the built-in Word diagnostics, and
everything appears normal.

You will probably have to edit the file association in the registry - in
earlier Windows versions you could adopt the method shown at
http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm but I do not know how far this
relates to Windows 7.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"mackiest" <mackiest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Word 2007. I double click a doc file and a dialog opens asking me
> which program to open it with. Word is not among the options. So I click
> "Always use the selected program ..."and then go into "Browse ..." find my
> Offce12 folder and the winword.exe file, select it, and ... nothing
> happens.
> Doc files continue to have no association.
>
> So I tried the built-in diagnostics on Word 2007, and it was ok. Then I
> tried "winword /r" to re-register Word 2007. It seemed to run to
> completion,
> but it made no difference.
>
> I cannot associate doc files with Word 2007 (under Windows 7, at least),
> no
> matter what I do. I've seen in other forums other people with the same
> problem, but no one has been able to solve it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I have Word 2007 installed. I have run the built-in Word diagnostics, and
> everything appears normal.

0
Graham

Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute everytime I compose or respond to a message
In OWA, Every time I try to compose or respond to a message, the Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute and asks for the CD. Unfortunately, this Office 2000 problem has come up again even after all the updates to Office 2000. Also I am having trouble logging out. When I hit the logoff button, it brings up a sign-in screen asking for ID & password again. Whether I cancel it or fill it in and type OK, it then gives me a screen that says "access denied". I never get a screen which says that logout was successful. I have the same problem here... From what I've s...

Excel 2007

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

MS Money 95 data files

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Where is the workspace file stored?

cant start outlook pst file to large

Grammar check not working

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Exchange 2007 across account search

Pop Up Windows
Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them? -- Larry "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0B01C98-66BF-4FA5-8CED-0C434CCCFC62@microsoft.com... > Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker > does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them? > -- > Larry You don't. They LOOK like a pop up to you, but the designer that wrote the page made them not conform to the rules that define the...

opening .bak file

office 2010 and windows 7
word 2010 is hanging (seems on autosave) a great deal, especially with larger (>3MB) files. it hangs the system and I have to do a hard reboot (power down). any idea as to why? system is windows 7 ultimate, office 2010. Right-click My Computer, Disconnect Network Drive. -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "KPTools" <support@kptools.com> wrote in message news:0F5ACF22-111A-416A-BECC-8E83543259AE@microsoft.com... > word 2010 is hanging (seems on autosave) a great deal, especially with larger > (>3MB) files. it hangs the system and I have t...

Please Help w/ Large Excel File
Hello everyone. I have this Excel file that has drawing text box objects in the document. When I delete a text box the attributes still are present, but just not showing. It is continually growing my file size. When I export the document to HTML after deleting all the text box drawing objects and saving the file, the text box objects still show as vtextbox elements in this file. I tried to reproduce this with a new Excel workbook but could not. I would be greatful if anyone can figure this out, as I have a lot of documents to re-create if there is no solution. Thank you. exce...

Windows wont start with USB printer plugged in
I have now got two club members that can not start Windows if their USB printer is connected. In both cases the computer goes to the BIOS splash screen and freezes. In one case it is a Dell Computer with an HP printer. In the second case it is an HP Computer with an Epson printer. If you remove the printer USB cable, the computer starts and load the desktop just fine. Then you can plug the printer cable in and use the printer computer and printer. But if the printer USB cable is connected, printer power off or on, then the computer go to the BIOS splash screen. Dell in one case,...

Outlook 2007 create background
it seems that there is no way to create a stationary or theme in outlook 2007 !? Aloha ami, I wish that were true however...Tools | Options | Mail Format | Stationery and Fonts. -Ben- Ben M. Schorr - MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm > it seems that there is no way to create a stationary or theme in > outlook 2007 !? > You cannot create new stationery for Outlook 2007, but you can create = new themes. In an open message, on the Options tab, make your changes = with the commands in the Them...

Displaying colour codes in Word 2007
I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest. There seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of people MAD. When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've never seen a computer. If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is far from obv...

Validation #7
I want to restrict data entry to a cell to be only "Y" or "N". Using Validation I can achieve this, Stopping any other numbers or letters, but not apparently symbols. "*" is still allowable. Any ideas anyone? PWS Not if you use allow>list, in the list source box put Y,N and uncheck in cell dropdown -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Paul W Smith" <pws@twelve.me.uk> wrote in message news:oYMsc.8289$NK4.971637@stones.force9.net... > I want to restrict data entry to a cell to b...