Can't open word 2007 with .doc extension using word 2003 and conve

The converter seems to be picky about Extensions. If the extension of the
file is .docx, it opens and converts just fine in 2003. But if it is doc or
some other unknown extension to the system, word never uses the converter,
instead I am asked to select the encoding.

If there were just 1 file I was trying to deal with I would just rename it
to docx, but we have multiple people that have been saving away office 2007
format files with .doc extensions. I can't tell which are 2007 and which
aren't and for the users that have 2003, the converter won't open them.

Any ideas on how to get the system to also attempt to convert any extension
file attempted to open with word?

Thanks!

Jesse

You cannot switch between the file types doc and docx by changing the
extension. The internal file formats of these two types are entirely
different.
Word 2007 will open both types of file. Word 2003 requires the addition of
the compatibilty pack to open Word 2007 DOCX format.
You may need to re-register Word to re-associate the file types See
http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm
Word 2003 may have problems with Word 2007 documents created from Word 2007
templates (which word 2003 cannot handle). If that is the issue, see
http://www.gmayor.com/Problems_opening_2007_docs.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"JSchorz" <JSchorz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The converter seems to be picky about Extensions. If the extension of the
> file is .docx, it opens and converts just fine in 2003. But if it is doc
> or
> some other unknown extension to the system, word never uses the converter,
> instead I am asked to select the encoding.
>
> If there were just 1 file I was trying to deal with I would just rename it
> to docx, but we have multiple people that have been saving away office
> 2007
> format files with .doc extensions. I can't tell which are 2007 and which
> aren't and for the users that have 2003, the converter won't open them.
>
> Any ideas on how to get the system to also attempt to convert any
> extension
> file attempted to open with word?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jesse

0
Graham

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

owa cant open ppt attachments

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Using Relative path for XML data file?

cannot open hyper links in outlook

Save as .doc
In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? REBeyer wrote: > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? Not that I know of. You can save as .txt, open in Word, and save as a Word doc, though. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote: > REBeyer wrote: > > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? > > Not that I know of. You can save as ...

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook