Can't find file from Windows 7 on XP

I saved a word document on my flash drive from Windows 7.  I do not have a
working printer so I am at the library trying to print it out but I cannot
find the file.  Is this because I am on a diffferent OS?  I am on XP now.  I
should be able to pull up any file I was told regardless of the OS.

Assuming that the computers at the library have a version of Word that can
read the file, you should be able to print it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mosakitty" <mosakitty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I saved a word document on my flash drive from Windows 7.  I do not have a
> working printer so I am at the library trying to print it out but I cannot
> find the file.  Is this because I am on a diffferent OS?  I am on XP now.
> should be able to pull up any file I was told regardless of the OS.

0
Stefan
11/30/2009 7:04:54 PM
There are a number of issues that may be involved here.
1. It is not good practice to save directly from Word to removable media. If
there is insufficient space for the document and the temporary files Word
creates the document will be corrupt or missing entirely. You should always
COPY to and from removable media.
2. You haven't mentioned the Word version. I guess yours might be Word 2007.
Does the library system have the ability to handle Word 2007 documents?
3. You might be better saving the document as a PDF file using the Microsoft
PDF plug-in for Word 2007 and take that to the library. PDF is a universal
format for on-line printed materila and the library system should have a PDF
reader.
4. The operating system should not be relevant, though I am not familiar
with the idiosyncracies of its file management.
5. Can you examine the flash drive from Windows XP using Windows Explorer?
6. Does the Windows XP system recognize your flash drive?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

mosakitty wrote:
> I saved a word document on my flash drive from Windows 7.  I do not
> have a working printer so I am at the library trying to print it out
> but I cannot find the file.  Is this because I am on a diffferent OS?
> I am on XP now.  I should be able to pull up any file I was told
> regardless of the OS.

0
Graham

Email file location
Can anyone tell me the actual file location of the email received in Microsoft Outlook? As i have to recover the system and thus i would like to backup the email. Would there any problem? Search for pst-files. Make sure you include hidden files/folders. Then connect to it by File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... The default location is; C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Outlook -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----...

outlook archiving #7
Hi all. I have a question on outlook 2002. My boss is interested in archiving his tons of e-mail received based on year. That is all mail, calendar data for 2004 should be stored into a folder called 2004 archive, older data into 2003, 2002 ..etc. I have looked at the current functions available within outlook, archive autoarchive and I cannot seem to be able to achieve this kind of control. How can I get this done? is there a macro that could be set to run as a rule to achieve this? any commercial tolls to purchase? Any ideas at all would be welcomed at this point. paul <anonymo...

convert Date formate (windows default) to Arabic
Dear all, any one have an idea about how i can convert the Date from gorgian Date formate (windows default) to Arabic Um AL Qura format (Hijiri) ? -- MBS Developer Abdelrahman Nabil ...

EXE file distribution issue
Hi: I am about to start distributing some software as an attachment to e-mails. All the recipients are happy with his arrangement, but we have run into a snag. For 99% of us OUTLOOK is set to maximum protection, and we don't want to change it. Unfortunately the Setup software I am using creates an EXE file, and outlook wont let any of the recipients even look at it much less open it!. Is there some way that recipients can override the inabilty to open an exe file on an exception basis? Can one create a script to make this easy for them? For example if the exe comes from a specific sourc...

Windows Media Center Update
This is a problem I have been having, this morning I wanted to use the WMC (Windows Media Center) TV internet service, but when I launched it in WMC it said for me to update WMC. I used Windows Update to check but I encountered "ERROR 80072efd", with that I decided to manually update WMC. Now that is my problem, I can't find the update for WMC. I have Windows Vista Home premium 32-bit, unknown WMC version. I request simple and strait forward responses, and I do not wish to update to Windows 7. You may encounter temporary connection-related errors [e.g., 0x80072EFD]...

publisher shuts down when i insert picture from file
The publisher application is shutting down when I try to insert a picture from a file & have done everything but uninstall. I have office small business 2003. Do you get an error? All pictures or just one particular picture? How to view error signatures if an Office program experiences a serious error and quits http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289508 Try to insert the image in safe mode, if it works you may need an upgraded video driver. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "patchouli"...

Any security concern about Windows event 529?
We have been seeing large amount of windows event 529 on our domain controller. Sometimes it has a valid user name. Sometimes, it sends the computer name as the user name. We have the account locked out rule set on DC, but no account locked for these 529 events. And what is the potential cause for those w/o the actual user name? Raw Event = Logon Failure: Reason: Unknown user name or bad password User Name: WORKSTATION01$ Domain: DMNET Logon Type: 3 Logon Process: NtLmSsp Authentication Package: NTLM Workstation Name: WORKSTATION01 Caller User Name: ...

E-mail stuck in Inbox, file in use, backup fails
I have a reoccuring problem that is driving me nuts. I have Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange set up. A user keeps getting a specific e-mail in her inbox in the mail store that kills the Veritas backup. The e-mail never makes it to the Outlook 2003 client. If you use OWA, the e-mail shows up there but it will not open. The page not found error is HTTP 500 server error. If you look at the log in Veritas, it says 'file in use' and 'access denied'. On the weekend I rebooted the server remotely and then permanently deleted the e-mail. The backup completed succes...

How To Open OE6 .eml File Extension Emails With WLM
Hi: How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM? Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6 emails. Thanks, ColTom2 Just double-click on the .eml file. -- Windows 7 Ultimate http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview http://download.live.com/wlmail "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message news:e#ZitFXaKHA.5544@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi: > > How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM? > > Never dreamed I would have this ...

download Word file into visio 2007
Anyone know how I can import a normal .doc WORD file which has our schools plan into a trial copy of visio 2007. Was going to us Smartdraw but thought as WORD already in use it would be easy to import into another Microsoft programme. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks Alan Speer Since Word is a text tool and Visio is a diagramming tool, what would be the purpose. You might consider just hyperlinking to the word document instead. al "Alan Speer" <Alan Speer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EA0022B-9B77-4764-AD35-5D342039D2E7@microsoft...

saving excel file with it's add in
Hi, I have an Excel file that uses a formula from an add in installed in m computer (*.xla). How can I save the project including the add in in order to use it i another computer that doesn't have the add in. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Do you really mean that your workbook uses a function that's in the addin? If yes, I think you have two choices. #1. Take the addin with you (and install it on the other pc). #2. Extract the code/procedure for that function from the addin and put it in your workbook. (If the addin's project is protected, then thi...

Outlook XP asking for username/password/domain on startup
I seem to have a problem in that each time I startup Outlook XP with accessing Exchange I get a dialogue box coming up asking for a username / password / domain. I put in the required info and the domain will not allow more than 8 characters. I deleted the profile and created the profile and I'm still having the same issue when creating the email account. I'm running the latest fixes for Office XP / Windows XP. Any idea's on this? Hi John, maybe this site could help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684/en-us -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange: Public Sha...

how to find which button in a group is checked...
Hi, I have a group of radio buttons (ID_R1, ID_R2, ..etc). I want to know which button is checked. This can be done easily if there is a dialog integer member variable associated with ID_R1 set in the dialog function DoDataExchange(). But could someone show me how to simplify the other often used approach to achieve the same purpose shown below? CButton *p = (CButton*) pDlg->GetDlgItem(IDC_R1); if (p->GetCheck() != 1) { // check through all the buttons p = (CButton*) pDlg->GetDlgItem(IDC_R2); if (p->GetCheck() != 1) { } ... }...

Transfer Groupwise files over to Outlook 2002
All apologies if the answer to the following question is posted to a FAQ page-I have limited acess on this system. What is the best way to save all of my files and folders in Groupwise 5.5 over to MS Outlook 2002? Thank you in advance. Regards, Reuben Navigate to this page -- http://www.slipstick.com/config/ -- and then hover over the link in the left-hand frame that says "Converting to Outlook". There you will find a list of articles that will help you figure out how to convert various types of Groupwise data to Outlook. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent...

cannot receive exe files
We are running on exchange 2003 (plus small business server) and so far we haven't been able to send or receive any mail containing exe attachments. I am aware such attachments are automatically blocked by exchange, but I was thinking is there any way of overriding this rule inside internal network? If there are two internal users exchanging mail, is it possible to send exe file . How safe is to change registry keys so you can avoid that rule? Is there anybody with this problem? I could be wrong, but I don't think that Exchange is what is blocking the attachments. That is usua...

Error can't Find File
Hi, I have a macro that opens a file and pulls any outstanding tasks from the previous day. I have a problem when it is a new month because the previous month's file is called MyFileMarch2010. The macro now looks for MyFileApril2010. How do I capture the error and look for the previous month's file if it is the first business day of the month? Any help or suggestions is appreciated. -- Thank you Dave As ALWAYS, post YOUR code for comments if day(date)=1 then do this else do that end if -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguill...

Automatically creating new pst file when pst is too big
Would anybody know how to automatically create new pst files after it reaches a certain size? I would like outlook 2000 to automatically archive all email folders and then after reaching a specific size create a new pst. After creating the new pst then it would either inform the user of the location of the old pst or add the new pst to the current profile. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Alex ...

Extra prompts from Excel 2007 after saving a CSV file
Here's the scenario: 1. I open a .CSV file in Excel 2007. 2. I make some data change to the file. 3. I save the file. Excel prompts me to use the CSV format again. This is a little annoying, but I answer Yes, I want to keep this format. 4. I try to close Excel. 5. Excel prompts me with "Do you want to save the changes you made to '(filename)?' Yes/No/Cancel. This is INFURIATING. I just saved the darn file. So I click No, thereby training myself to click no when prompted by Excel to save changes, guaranteeing I'll lose work in the future. Does anyone know a way to get E...

Upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 Killed OWA
I upgraded a Windows 2000 Server machine running Exchange 2003, to Windows Server 2003. Now after authenticating to OWA, "HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable" is displayed in the browser. I seen this (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305030 ) from another post, but have not tried the items at the bottom yet. In IIS, the VDirs, Exchweb, Exchange, EXadmin, were not using the ExchangeApplicationPool, they were using the default. Plus I had to click the create button next to application on all three. I tried and iisreset after that, but it did not help. I also made sure the se...

windows forms controls
Does a control similar to the the asp.net repeater or datalist exist for winforms? One where I can have a group of controls repeat like in the asp.net repeater. DataGridView doesn't appear to do that. Ralph wrote: > Does a control similar to the the asp.net repeater or datalist exist > for winforms? > One where I can have a group of controls repeat like in the asp.net > repeater. > DataGridView doesn't appear to do that. I don't know much about the ASP.NET controls. But the Windows Forms namespace includes layout controls, such ...

window close on login
The CRM browser window closes automatically on logging in from some machines. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. Turn off the 'Pop-up' blocker functionality on the browser, the default.aspx page redirects to the loader.aspx page using the window.open javascript that the blockers prohibit. "Ram" <ram@nospampleasethanks.com> wrote in message news:035301c37628$8b36ce20$3101280a@phx.gbl... > The CRM browser window closes automatically on logging in > from some machines. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. damn!its the google pop-up blocker ..the default.aspx ...

Using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility for Office installation
Windows XP Professional, ver 2002, (9.0.6926) SP2 NTFS Office 2000 Professional SP3 Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 128 bit cipher strength I'm using Shenan Stanley's cleanup procedures, prepping for install of Windows XP SP3. Confirm answers regarding instructions for using the Windows Installer CleanupUtility to remove Office 2000, Office XP or Office 2003. (1) Right now, I'm running Office 2000 Professional SP3. I know Microsoft article 290301 says the Installer Cleanup Utility it is not going to remove the actual Office program; it is only going to remove ...

Windows+Tab in Vista doesn't work
Why when I windows+tab (I heard it called 3D Flip) in Vista, sometimes I see the contents of the Excel file, in that 3D view and sometimes not. That very much frustrates me, and I can't effectively switch among my Excel files... ...

Can I Stop Users Attaching Files
Hi all Users are circumventing our documentation control by attaching drawing image files to emails. These files are in a folder to which they have only read-only access. Is it possible to stop users attaching the contents of certain folders or certain file types to emails? TIA Phil Sorry, forgot the important stuff in my frustration: Win2003 Server Exchange 2003 Outlook 2003 clients Standard MS client server active directory controlled network Phil most AV solutions have the ability to block sending/receiving of certain file types... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "TheScullster...

Modifying the Assembly transaction entry window-X in corner
I would like to modify the window that pops open after you change anything on the Assembly Transaction entry window (Transaction>Inventory>Assembly Entry) This window is labelled: Microsoft Dynamics GP and the question is: Do you want to sasve changes or delete document number xxxxx (I would like to remove the delete button) How do I find this window in modifier? thanks -- Doug That is a dialog box, and it does not exist as a "window" that can be modified. To accomplish what you want you would need to modify the behavior of the Assembly Trx window to prevent ...