Calculating time using minutes.

I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can not
figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format hours
and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this. Thank you.

How are the times being entered into the invoice?  In what format?  As
ordinary text?  Into FormFields?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"computerkiller" <computerkiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
> not
> figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
> hours
> and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this. Thank
> you.

0
Doug
5/3/2010 11:01:43 PM
I am going to input them as 15 min intervals. I do not know what you mean as
format, unless you mean time = .15. I guess that would be ordinary text. I am
not using FormFields. This is just as a column with the time in it. (Note
this is in Word.)

Thank you for responding.   DB.

_______________

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> How are the times being entered into the invoice?  In what format?  As
> ordinary text?  Into FormFields?
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "computerkiller" <computerkiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
> > not
> > figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
> > hours
> > and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this. Thank
> > you.

computerkiller,

Even if you enter your numbers as text, the program will determine results
in a mathematically correct way and you might be setting yourself up for
some odd results based on what you've described.

If you're entering minutes, and you write decimal point one five ".15" that
might been 15 100ths of a minute and I doubt that's what you wanted.  If you
intend for .15 to be interpreted as 15 minutes, that won't happen (15 100ths
of an hour is actually 9 minutes and I don't think that's what you want).
If you're really wanting to enter minutes, just enter the number without a
decimal point.  The problem is that if you're just typing this into a column
in Word or into cells in a Word table rather than a form, it's tough to
limit data entry to multiples of 15 minutes but if you're the only user of
this setup that shouldn't be a problem; you just know to enter 15, 30, 45,
60, 75 or whatever the correct number of minutes is.

Steve

> I am going to input them as 15 min intervals. I do not know what you mean
> as
> format, unless you mean time = .15. I guess that would be ordinary text. I
> am
> not using FormFields. This is just as a column with the time in it. (Note
> this is in Word.)
>
> Thank you for responding.   DB.
>
> _______________
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> How are the times being entered into the invoice?  In what format?  As
>> ordinary text?  Into FormFields?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "computerkiller" <computerkiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
>> > not
>> > figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
>> > hours
>> > and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this.
>> > Thank
>> > you.

0
Steve
5/4/2010 2:21:33 AM
Assuming that you are entering the times as minutes (15, 30, 45 etc.) into
the cells of a column in a table, in the cell where you want the total to
appear, you can used the formula

{ = SUM(ABOVE)/60 }

If you are using .15 for 15 minutes, then you would use

{ = SUM(ABOVE)/.6

However, using 1.5 for one hour and 30 minutes, will not give you the
correct result.  You would have to use .90 for that; two hours would be 1.2
etc.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"computerkiller" <computerkiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am going to input them as 15 min intervals. I do not know what you mean
> as
> format, unless you mean time = .15. I guess that would be ordinary text. I
> am
> not using FormFields. This is just as a column with the time in it. (Note
> this is in Word.)
>
> Thank you for responding.   DB.
>
> _______________
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> How are the times being entered into the invoice?  In what format?  As
>> ordinary text?  Into FormFields?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "computerkiller" <computerkiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
>> > not
>> > figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
>> > hours
>> > and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this.
>> > Thank
>> > you.

0
Doug

Printing question using 2003
I create flyers for my theater group on my home computer and then take them to another location to print the flyer on a new large-format printer. We have been having problems having the large-format printer print the file as a 18"x22" or other desired large size poster. It wants to print as it would on my home printer...like a group of six sheets that have to be taped together. Won't Publisher allow you to create in a letter size format (8.5"x11") and then automatically expand all text boxes, graphics, clip art, word art, etc to fit the enlarged large-format pr...

FRx calculations #2
I'm not sure how to set this up or if it is a possibility - we have an Frx report with Actual and Budget columns. One section of the report shows the actual and budget for period and YTD. Column B Actual Period Data Column C Budget Data Column D YTD Actual Column E YTD Budget Data In the next section we would like to have the following: Column B Actual Period Data Column C - a calculated budget amount based on a percentage of sales from a row above Column D YTD Actual Column E calculated budget amount as in column C I tried entering the calculated budget amounts on rows at the ...

using list or combo boxes
Hello, I have a form with several fields: ID Number, LName, Fname, Employer, Employer1 Depts and Employer2 Depts. I want to enter data in first 3 fields (text) which will be inserted to table 1. I want to select a value from a lookup table for employer. Based on the Employer chosen, either Emp1 depts OR Emp2 depts drop down will become active. Finally, select a dept from the active dropdown. Am I thinking correctly in the following: For the OnChange event when the employer is selected from the dropdown, I want to do this: IF employer = EMP1 then 1.1 enable cboEMP1 ...

Message Tracking Logs
If my questions is a stupid one, please excuse me because I'm just starting to learn exchange and can't find an answer at all on the internet, I was hired as a DBA and now i'm going to be the exchange guru. For some unknown reason, my message tracking logs display the wrong GMT time. I'm completely fine with them being that time zone, i have a sql dts processes that imports the logs and does the math for me. But the time on the log file is 4 hours ahead instead of 5 (ex. it's 9:55 am and the logs are reading 13:55 GMT). I've checked the time on the server and ...

changing calculation mode (xlCalculationAutomatic) w/o showing workbook
Hello, Is there a way to switch the calculation mode without having t actually show the workbook? I am writing a program in VB and want t turn the automatic calculation mode off while I input a bunch of data then turn it back on after I finish inputting. I created this hack so that it would work, but I would rather not hav to make the workbook visible in order to do this. wkbk.Windows("ExcelRef.xls").Visible = True wkbk.Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual <inputting function> wkbk.Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic wkbk.Windows("ExcelRef.xls&q...

Go to the begining of the txt file after using getline()
Go to the begining of the txt file after using getline() I use fstream, open() and getline() to take a whole line from the text file. I would like to know how I can set the value of the file pointer to the beginning of the file without closing (with close() ) to start using getline() again. I need to do it many times and I think that making that without closing and reopening file thousands times will save much time. Could you advise me. Alur fseek(fileptr,0,SEEK_SET); AliR. "Alur" <Alur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD7B7AFF-6057-4C37-955A-CADA73781B3...

Using an existing instance of Excel
Hi, Suppose I have an instance of Excel running and I want to open the file "foo.xls" into that instance from command line. If I give the command "excel foo.xls" it will open a new instance of Excel, which is OK but would cause great overhead for me. Thanks! Bura You might try a script like this: Dim XL on error resume next set XL = GetObject(,"Excel.Application") If XL is Nothing Then Set XL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") XL.Workbooks.Open "c:\Book1.xls" XL.Visible = True Create a VBS file with this in it and you can run it from th...

Do you have a useful monthly calendar print template for Outlook
Hi. The monthly printout from Office 2003 was good. The monthly template from Office 07 ends up just having the times. Does anyone have a useful monthly template? Thanks. there are some on Microsoft's web site. Just search "Microsoft Outlook 2007 home page" to find a stack of resources. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook in Canberra, Australia "RSC" <RSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1E6422A-8D4A-4995-AA4A-3048242EED4B@microsoft.com... > Hi. The monthly printout from Office 2003 was good. The monthly template > ...

use mjwpdf to edit and modify existing pdf file
Dear all I have a question, is possible to use mjwpdf in VB6 to edit an existing pdf document, modify it (for example for insert a signature image at the end of document) and save it with the changes if some one have the solution please attach source code please thanks to all xavi-querol@hotmail.com *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** On 02/02/2010 16:00, xavi querol wrote: > I have a question, is possible to use mjwpdf in VB6 to edit an existing > pdf document, modify it (for example for insert a signature image at the > end of document...

Re-calculation causes Excel to not respond
I have an issue where whenever the cells on a worksheet are selected for re-calculation, it gets "stuck" at 0% and causes Excel to stop responding. The spreadsheet is designed to do the following: - First worksheet lifts data from another spreadsheet via link function. - Second worksheet calculates totals based on the data in the first worksheet. For example, calculations include things like: =SUMIF('First Worksheet'!D:D,"Michael",'First Worksheet'!I3:I65535) This is done to sum all of Michael's entries and is repeated for each person. There is then...

PivotTable Calculated Item error
I'm new to working with calculated items in PivotTables, and I've run into a bit of a snag. My PivotTable is built off of a data set with a start and stop time (in military time) for a number of workers. Included in the data set as well is a worktype. I have a calculated field in my Pivot which returns the # of hours worked by way of the following formula: (EndTime-StartTime)*24 I have this data displayed by work type and date on the top, and by 1/2 hour interval of the start time on the left (the data set as well is restricted to half hour intervals). This part works great! For ce...

Using OWA how can I easily verify the size of my mailbox
Hi I use OWA at University. How can I easily verify the size of my mailbox ? Thanks Jay Using OWA, you can't. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Jay asked: | Hi | | I use OWA at University. | | How can I easily verify the size of my mailbox ? | | Thanks | | Jay Milly Thanks Jay "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote: > Using OWA, you can't. > > -- > Milly Staples [MVP - Out...

Help with AutoFilter using VBA
Folks, I am completely new to the whole Excel macro/VBA world, though I am pretty spiffy when in comes to Excel. By using lots of Google, I have put together the VBA macro below that actually does work. However, I would like to add code so that the AutoFilter custom parameters are set by default to: Custom, Is Greater Than, 0. How can I accomplish this within this code: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) With Target If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Not Intersect(Range("C7"), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Application.E...

Using a compressed folder
Is there a way to treat a compressed folder in PowerShell in the same manner that Windows Explorer does, that is, to just copy files to and from it the same way this is done with a normal folder, and have the compression be transparent to the script? If not, what would be the best way to build a .zip file with PowerShell? I am using Vista. Thanks, Al If you're looking to build .zip files, I think the best option would be to upgrade to V2 if you haven't already, and then get the powershellpack from the resource kit: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/PowerShellPac...

Calculate difference in time spanning a day, during office hours o
i'm trying to get the difference in times spanning a day during office hours ie.from 6/9/2007 10:35am till 7/9/2007 9:45am, excluding time between 6/9/2007 5:00pm and 7/9/2007 7:30 am.Here is where i'm stuck... if the start time is after 5:00pm 6/9/2007 only calculate from 7/9/2007 7:30am till 9:45am this is what i have so far, replace "date/time" with cell number "Logical if" if ("date out"-"date in")>=1, "value if true" (time(17,0,0)-"time in")+("time out"-time(7,30,0), "value if false&qu...

Run-time error -2147467259 (800004005) when opening PPt from Access 03
HiI have made a system for someone. There is a button in the Acces db toopen a Power Point slide with this code.Private Sub Print_Certificate_Click()Set objPPT = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application") objPPT.Visible = True Set objPresentation = objPPT.Presentations.Open("C:\Documents andSettings\Stel\My Documents\Cavy\Sponsorship pack\Sponsors\SponsorshipCertificate.ppt")End Subwhich has always worked perfectly on my computer. Now they've tried iton their computer and it opens PP (but not the slide) and comes upwith this error messageRun-time error -2147467259 (800004...

how do i plot this kind of data using excel
need a help in plotting data presented in class form, e.g; variables for A in condition 1 ranges from 67-89, in condition 2they range from 52-67, in condition 3; 65-87, in conditon 4, 62-83. Variables for B in condition 1 60-77,in condition 2, 50-64, in condition 3, 54-73, in condition 4 51-70 Tamm, Try setting your data up like this: Low High A1 67 89 B1 60 77 A2 52 67 B2 50 64 A3 65 87 B3 54 73 A4 62 83 B4 51 70 Then, plot it using either a clustered column chart or a stacked column chart. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "TAMM" wrote: > need a he...

MFC and number of times COM intialized
Greetings, I was told that COM should be intialized only once in application or once per thread. I was reading SDK samples and it says: "CoInitialize could be called more than once in an application. The first successful call will return NOERROR; subsequent successful calls will return S_FALSE. Each successful nested call to CoInitialize must be matched with a corresponding call to CoUninitialize. CoUninitialize frees resources the COM libraries have allocated and unloads the libraries themselves. " I have a working MFC based application which intializes COM only once and it wor...

tracking item modified time
When I modify an inventory item in Great Plains, it sets the MODIFDT in the IV00101 table to the correct date but sets the time to 12:00:00 AM. Is it possible to track the modified time as well as the date? no, unfortunately GP does not track time, even though there is a second, useless time column, What a waste! HS -- Habib Salim www.DynExtra.com A resource for the Microsoft Dynamics Community Featuring FAQs, File Exchange and more Current member count: 3 "Nathan" <Nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C83D931-0DE2-49C9-9B95-1D081BE98A87@microsoft.c...

how do I make multiple pie charts at the same time?
I have multiple lines of data and I want to make multiple pie charts (over 50) at the same time by simply going down the row and creating a pie chart with each row. I can't figure out a macro on how to do it, and simply copying and pasting and then deleting a series resets all of my formatting preferences! A long time ago (nearly 5 years!) I posted this macro that makes a pie for each row in the data range. The data is in A:E, with the category labels in A1:E1 and the values in each row below that. The charts are overlapped ot the right of the data. Sub LotsaPies() ' Macro ...

Formula displays does not calculate
Hello: I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays =A4+J13 (the same formula calculates fine in a different cell), instead of claculating the value. Both A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to toggle and chk if full formula mode was ON? but that did not help either. I also tried looking for feedback through the formula evaluation utility in Excel, no help there either, it says cell being evaluated contains a constant? Your help is appreciated Hi Neil, Perhaps the cell is formatted as text? --- Regards, Norman "Neil Bhandar" <Neil Bhandar@discussions.mic...

Multiply hours:minutes by cost/hour to get total cost?
How does one do a simple function to multiply a time (in hours:minutes i.e. [hh]:mm) by a cost per hour (i.e. $60/hour). If I have the time in one column, and the rate per hour in another column, I need the total to be the total cost (i.e. 10:50 times $60 = sum??? should equal $650.00 but I can't get the formula to work). =A1*B1*24 Times in Excel are stored as fractions of a day. Multiplying by 24 gives you the # of hours -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Rachael" <Rachael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13C81F5A-85D1-41BE-8ADC-7DE374C4746E@microsoft....

Run-Time Error 1004/ unable to set the hidden property of the rang
I have a spreadsheet that has the same survey details on repeated down the page. There is a radio button 1-13 and by clicking in one of them you get the corresponding number of survey sections. I want most of the page protected, to stop people tinkering with it but when it is locked I get the Run-Time error 1004 when selecting one of the radio buttons copy of VB below Can anyone help If I put the Me.Unprotect at the start and Me.Prptect at end it works but ask for password to be entered which defeats the object. Private Sub OptionButton_1_Click() If Me.OptionButton_1....

Access subquery using Like IN
I am trying to create a query which will take all values from table Names Field Pre and compare it against table AllNames field Name. Problem is there will only be PART of the name in the Allnames field. What I have attempted was variations of this and I haven't been able to get it to work with the * operator to show that it would be a partial match not complete. Select Allnames.Name FROM Allnames WHERE (((Name) Like ((Name) In (Select Pre + '*' From Names)))); If anybody could help me in identifying the issue and resolving it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joins are ge...

Sending emails using AOL settings
Hi Any advice on the folowing would be appreciated: Am using AOL broadband as my ISP. I am able to configure Outlook Express to send & receive emails OK When using the same Outlook Express settings in Outlook 2002 am unable to send emails - an error refering to incorrect email address appears. HAve double & doubled checked and all email address's are identical as per those used in Outlook express. Using XP Pro with service pack 2 TIA Tom There are special settings for Outlook with AOL that are available at AOL support. http://help.aol.com/aimhelp/search.do?cmd=displ...