Bulk Extract Embedded Files

Word 2003 on XP
Is there a way to extract embedded files all in one go?
Like the image file extraction process described in
http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm but for embedded files?
Many thanks
DeanH

Found the following for extracting embedded word files. Haven't tried it
though.

Sub ExtractFiles()
'
' ExtractFiles Macro
'
'
Dim shape As InlineShape
Dim folderName As String
Dim a As Document

folderName = Replace(ThisDocument.Name, ".", "_")
MkDir folderName

For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
    If (shape.Type = wdInlineShapeEmbeddedOLEObject) And
(InStr(LCase(shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel), ".doc") > 0) Then
            shape.OLEFormat.Object.SaveAs (folderName & "\" &
shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel)
    End If
Next shape

End Sub

Hope it helps.
--
Brian McCaffery

"DeanH" wrote:

> Word 2003 on XP
> Is there a way to extract embedded files all in one go?
> Like the image file extraction process described in
> http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm but for embedded files?
> Many thanks
> DeanH
Brian, thanks but sorry, it fails at the "End If".
"Compile error: End If without block If"

DeanH

"Brian" wrote:

> Found the following for extracting embedded word files. Haven't tried it
> though.
>
> Sub ExtractFiles()
> '
> ' ExtractFiles Macro
> '
> '
> Dim shape As InlineShape
> Dim folderName As String
> Dim a As Document
>
> folderName = Replace(ThisDocument.Name, ".", "_")
> MkDir folderName
>
> For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
>     If (shape.Type = wdInlineShapeEmbeddedOLEObject) And
> (InStr(LCase(shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel), ".doc") > 0) Then
>             shape.OLEFormat.Object.SaveAs (folderName & "\" &
> shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel)
>     End If
> Next shape
>
> End Sub
>
> Hope it helps.
> --
> Brian McCaffery
>

> "DeanH" wrote:
>
> > Word 2003 on XP
> > Is there a way to extract embedded files all in one go?
> > Like the image file extraction process described in
> > http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm but for embedded files?
> > Many thanks
> > DeanH
Probably caused by line breaks inserted by the mail program.

Try

For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
    If shape.Type = wdInlineShapeEmbeddedOLEObject And _
InStr(LCase(shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel), ".doc") > 0 Then
            shape.OLEFormat.Object.SaveAs (folderName & "\" & _
shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel)
    End If
Next shape

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Brian, thanks but sorry, it fails at the "End If".
> "Compile error: End If without block If"
>
> DeanH
>

> "Brian" wrote:
>
>> Found the following for extracting embedded word files. Haven't tried it
>> though.
>>
>> Sub ExtractFiles()
>> '
>> ' ExtractFiles Macro
>> '
>> '
>> Dim shape As InlineShape
>> Dim folderName As String
>> Dim a As Document
>>
>> folderName = Replace(ThisDocument.Name, ".", "_")
>> MkDir folderName
>>
>> For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
>>     If (shape.Type = wdInlineShapeEmbeddedOLEObject) And
>> (InStr(LCase(shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel), ".doc") > 0) Then
>>             shape.OLEFormat.Object.SaveAs (folderName & "\" &
>> shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel)
>>     End If
>> Next shape
>>
>> End Sub
>>
>> Hope it helps.
>> --
>> Brian McCaffery
>>

>> "DeanH" wrote:
>>
>> > Word 2003 on XP
>> > Is there a way to extract embedded files all in one go?
>> > Like the image file extraction process described in
>> > http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm but for embedded
>> > files?
>> > Many thanks
>> > DeanH

0
Doug
4/21/2010 11:31:37 AM
Doug, thanks for the input. The macro does not fail now, but it also does not
do the extraction.
I have done several tests with several different files, in different
locations, but no extraction happens :-(

DeanH

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Probably caused by line breaks inserted by the mail program.
>
> Try
>
> For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
>     If shape.Type = wdInlineShapeEmbeddedOLEObject And _
> InStr(LCase(shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel), ".doc") > 0 Then
>             shape.OLEFormat.Object.SaveAs (folderName & "\" & _
> shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel)
>     End If
> Next shape
>

> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Brian, thanks but sorry, it fails at the "End If".
> > "Compile error: End If without block If"
> >
> > DeanH
> >

> > "Brian" wrote:
> >
> >> Found the following for extracting embedded word files. Haven't tried it
> >> though.
> >>
> >> Sub ExtractFiles()
> >> '
> >> ' ExtractFiles Macro
> >> '
> >> '
> >> Dim shape As InlineShape
> >> Dim folderName As String
> >> Dim a As Document
> >>
> >> folderName = Replace(ThisDocument.Name, ".", "_")
> >> MkDir folderName
> >>
> >> For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
> >>     If (shape.Type = wdInlineShapeEmbeddedOLEObject) And
> >> (InStr(LCase(shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel), ".doc") > 0) Then
> >>             shape.OLEFormat.Object.SaveAs (folderName & "\" &
> >> shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel)
> >>     End If
> >> Next shape
> >>
> >> End Sub
> >>
> >> Hope it helps.
> >> --
> >> Brian McCaffery

Exactly what is it that you have in the document?  That macro is
specifically for in-line shapes.

--

> Doug, thanks for the input. The macro does not fail now, but it also does
> not
> do the extraction.
> I have done several tests with several different files, in different
> locations, but no extraction happens :-(
>
> DeanH
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> Probably caused by line breaks inserted by the mail program.
>>
>> Try
>>
>> For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
>>     If shape.Type = wdInlineShapeEmbeddedOLEObject And _
>> InStr(LCase(shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel), ".doc") > 0 Then
>>             shape.OLEFormat.Object.SaveAs (folderName & "\" & _
>> shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel)
>>     End If
>> Next shape
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Brian, thanks but sorry, it fails at the "End If".
>> > "Compile error: End If without block If"
>> >
>> > DeanH

0
Doug
4/22/2010 5:03:52 AM
Doug.
All the embedded file are InLine.
It appears that nothing is happening when the macro is run.
What I have checked is the following.
Run macro.
No new documents appear in the folder of the original file.
No new documents are created in the drive.
Now search turns up any file with the names of the embedded files.
I have done several tests with some old documents of mine, new documents for
testing, as well as the document that I wanted this macro for in the first
place, no extraction happens.

From the macro script I gather that the extracted files should go to the
same folder as the original document, and they are named as per the icon
display.

Any way, I have manually extractd the files I needed, but it would be nice
to get this working.
Many thanks for your perseverance.
DeanH

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Exactly what is it that you have in the document?  That macro is
> specifically for in-line shapes.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Doug, thanks for the input. The macro does not fail now, but it also does
> > not
> > do the extraction.
> > I have done several tests with several different files, in different
> > locations, but no extraction happens :-(
> >
> > DeanH
> >

> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Probably caused by line breaks inserted by the mail program.
> >>
> >> Try
> >>
> >> For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
> >>     If shape.Type = wdInlineShapeEmbeddedOLEObject And _
> >> InStr(LCase(shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel), ".doc") > 0 Then
> >>             shape.OLEFormat.Object.SaveAs (folderName & "\" & _
> >> shape.OLEFormat.IconLabel)
> >>     End If
> >> Next shape
> >>

> >> --
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> >> services on a paid consulting basis.

> >> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you toggle on the display of field codes (Alt+F9)  in the document that
contains the embedded files, what do you see?

--

> Doug.
> All the embedded file are InLine.
> It appears that nothing is happening when the macro is run.
> What I have checked is the following.
> Run macro.
> No new documents appear in the folder of the original file.
> No new documents are created in the drive.
> Now search turns up any file with the names of the embedded files.
> I have done several tests with some old documents of mine, new documents
> for
> testing, as well as the document that I wanted this macro for in the first
> place, no extraction happens.
>
> From the macro script I gather that the extracted files should go to the
> same folder as the original document, and they are named as per the icon
> display.
>
> Any way, I have manually extractd the files I needed, but it would be nice
> to get this working.
> Many thanks for your perseverance.
> DeanH
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> Exactly what is it that you have in the document?  That macro is
>> specifically for in-line shapes.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Doug, thanks for the input. The macro does not fail now, but it also
>> > does
>> > not
>> > do the extraction.
>> > I have done several tests with several different files, in different
>> > locations, but no extraction happens :-(
>> >
>> > DeanH

0
Doug
4/22/2010 7:32:58 AM
In the specific document that started all this, for one of the files I see
{EMBED Excel.sheet.12}
DeanH

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> If you toggle on the display of field codes (Alt+F9)  in the document that
> contains the embedded files, what do you see?
>

> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Doug.
> > All the embedded file are InLine.
> > It appears that nothing is happening when the macro is run.
> > What I have checked is the following.
> > Run macro.
> > No new documents appear in the folder of the original file.
> > No new documents are created in the drive.
> > Now search turns up any file with the names of the embedded files.
> > I have done several tests with some old documents of mine, new documents
> > for
> > testing, as well as the document that I wanted this macro for in the first
> > place, no extraction happens.
> >
> > From the macro script I gather that the extracted files should go to the
> > same folder as the original document, and they are named as per the icon
> > display.
> >
> > Any way, I have manually extractd the files I needed, but it would be nice
> > to get this working.
> > Many thanks for your perseverance.
> > DeanH
> >

> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Exactly what is it that you have in the document?  That macro is
> >> specifically for in-line shapes.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> >> services on a paid consulting basis.

> >> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The code that Brian gave you was not appropriate for Embedded object.

The following will however copy such objects to another document:

Dim Source As Document, Target As Document
Dim rngTarget As Range
Dim i As Long
Set Source = ActiveDocument
Set Target = Documents.Add
With Source
    For i = .Fields.Count To 1 Step -1
        If .Fields(i).Type = wdFieldEmbed Then
            .Fields(i).Copy  'Use Cut instead of Copy if you want to remove
the files from the source
            Set rngTarget = Target.Range
            rngTarget.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
            rngTarget.Paste
            Target.Range.InsertAfter vbCr
        End If
    Next i
End With

--

> In the specific document that started all this, for one of the files I see
> {EMBED Excel.sheet.12}
> DeanH
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> If you toggle on the display of field codes (Alt+F9)  in the document
>> that
>> contains the embedded files, what do you see?
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Doug.
>> > All the embedded file are InLine.
>> > It appears that nothing is happening when the macro is run.
>> > What I have checked is the following.
>> > Run macro.
>> > No new documents appear in the folder of the original file.
>> > No new documents are created in the drive.
>> > Now search turns up any file with the names of the embedded files.
>> > I have done several tests with some old documents of mine, new
>> > documents
>> > for
>> > testing, as well as the document that I wanted this macro for in the
>> > first
>> > place, no extraction happens.
>> >
>> > From the macro script I gather that the extracted files should go to
>> > the
>> > same folder as the original document, and they are named as per the
>> > icon
>> > display.
>> >
>> > Any way, I have manually extractd the files I needed, but it would be
>> > nice
>> > to get this working.
>> > Many thanks for your perseverance.
>> > DeanH

0
Doug
4/22/2010 11:39:17 AM
Doug.
Thanks for that, but I don't want to transfer the embedded files into
another Word document, I want to extract them to their native format in the
folder where the original Word resides.

DeanH

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> The code that Brian gave you was not appropriate for Embedded object.
>
> The following will however copy such objects to another document:
>
> Dim Source As Document, Target As Document
> Dim rngTarget As Range
> Dim i As Long
> Set Source = ActiveDocument
> Set Target = Documents.Add
> With Source
>     For i = .Fields.Count To 1 Step -1
>         If .Fields(i).Type = wdFieldEmbed Then
>             .Fields(i).Copy  'Use Cut instead of Copy if you want to remove
> the files from the source
>             Set rngTarget = Target.Range
>             rngTarget.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
>             rngTarget.Paste
>             Target.Range.InsertAfter vbCr
>         End If
>     Next i
> End With
>

> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the specific document that started all this, for one of the files I see
> > {EMBED Excel.sheet.12}
> > DeanH
> >

> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If you toggle on the display of field codes (Alt+F9)  in the document
> >> that
> >> contains the embedded files, what do you see?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> >> services on a paid consulting basis.

> >> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You cannot tell from the Embed field, what the filename was, so you are
going to have to supply it, or as in the following code, just have the files
named with a name such as Sheet & i where i is the field counter that is
being used:

Dim Source As Document
Dim xlapp As Object
Dim xlbook As Object
Dim xlSheet As Object
Dim Excelwasnotrunning As Boolean
Dim i As Long
On Error Resume Next
Set xlapp = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
If Err Then
    Excelwasnotrunning = True
    Set xlapp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
End If

Set Source = ActiveDocument
With Source
    For i = .Fields.Count To 1 Step -1
        If .Fields(i).Type = wdFieldEmbed Then
            .Fields(i).Copy  'Use Cut instead of Copy if you want to remove
the files from the source
            With xlapp
                Set xlbook = .Workbooks.Add
                Set xlSheet = xlbook.Worksheets(1)
                xlSheet.Paste
                xlbook.SaveAs "Sheet" & i
                xlbook.Close
            End With
        End If
    Next i
End With
Set xlSheet = Nothing
Set xlbook = Nothing
If Excelwasnotrunning = True Then
    xlapp.Quit
End If
Set xlapp = Nothing

--

> Doug.
> Thanks for that, but I don't want to transfer the embedded files into
> another Word document, I want to extract them to their native format in
> the
> folder where the original Word resides.
>
> DeanH
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> The code that Brian gave you was not appropriate for Embedded object.
>>
>> The following will however copy such objects to another document:
>>
>> Dim Source As Document, Target As Document
>> Dim rngTarget As Range
>> Dim i As Long
>> Set Source = ActiveDocument
>> Set Target = Documents.Add
>> With Source
>>     For i = .Fields.Count To 1 Step -1
>>         If .Fields(i).Type = wdFieldEmbed Then
>>             .Fields(i).Copy  'Use Cut instead of Copy if you want to
>> remove
>> the files from the source
>>             Set rngTarget = Target.Range
>>             rngTarget.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
>>             rngTarget.Paste
>>             Target.Range.InsertAfter vbCr
>>         End If
>>     Next i
>> End With
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "DeanH" <DeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In the specific document that started all this, for one of the files I
>> > see
>> > {EMBED Excel.sheet.12}
>> > DeanH

0
Doug

mysterious backup files?
I have a shared 2002 workbook set to capture change history (when file is saved) that seems to be creating backup files. An example of a file name is D1342500 with no extension, type of file is "type". These files open in excel and look like replications of the master workbook. This is a fairly new and recent but undesirable behaviour, as we are rapidly creating multiple 1.3 MB files on the network. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? Thanks. When xl2003 and older saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension) in the same folder. ...

Workaround for Opening Word 6 Files (other than File>Open)?
Hi all, I know in Word 2008 I can open my Word 6 files using File>Open. This works fine but annoys the heck out of me. MS has made a "security" choice here that is about *their* security from possible lawsuits, not *my* security from possible phishers. Sheesh, I am trying to look at my dissertation; no one has embedded dangerous code in it! So, my question is: Is there a workaround for this? Ideally there'd be a preference to turn off this "feature," but I'm sure there isn't one. Alternately, perhaps a way to batch change the document type on o...

Mail merge file sizes
Can anybody help me. I have produced a 2 page document in Publisher 2003 and when I add mail merge to it with a database of 500 addresses, when it generates I get the following problems; 1. It takes ages to generate (the green progress bar moves very slowly across the screen as it applies the address to each document 2. The file sizes are at least 300mb for each 10 that it generates (the original file size is less than 2 mb) Any help would be appreciated. This will help The Registry Fix for changing the Mail Merge Batch Size Courtesy of KATMA http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/r...

missing files necessary for Chinese translation
I am using a Hong Kong version of Office 2007 Professional that enables translation between traditional and simplified Chinese. Lately, I have encoutered problem with the error message of "Word cannot proceed as more than one file necessary for TC/SC translation is missing". I have tried reloading the software, but to no avail. Any advice from experienced users would be much appreicated. ...

Combining 2 Publisher Files Into 1
Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Phil. Open one file, then run Publisher again open the second file. Both files are open. Add the pages you need to add the pages from the file you want to combine. Copy, paste from one file to the other. Save, you're done. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:185901c49c1d$60824030$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. > > Phil. Phil wrote: > Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. &...

can i recover unsaved ppt file after crash?
am i SOL or is there hope? thanks mark goodtoimes, Yes there's hope. Powerpoint newsgroup! Immanuel Sibero "goodtoimes" <goodtoimes@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eXq9wP9BFHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > am i SOL or is there hope? > > thanks > mark > > ...

Error printing report: "specified path for the output file does
Hi - I'm trying to print a Payable Distribution History report but get the error "specified path for the output file does not exist". It does not happen with other reports. Any help to fix this error would greatly appreciated. thanks Oumar hi Oumar, go check the Report Destination screen and make sure that there is no path listed in the field where you can enter one. It would be in the File checkbox. If it is grayed out, mark the File option, delete the path and then unmark the File box. Should you want to save it to a file, then select a valid path. Hop...

Extracting macros from a worksheet #3
Gord, Thanks for the info. I have Excel setup to ask me about enabling and disabling macros when opening a worksheet. I've tried both with no luck. I get the same error when attempting to open this file. The workbook that I'm opening has always worked before. That workbook and macros were designed and written by me and they have been working for more that 5 months now. There are only two worksheets in the workbook and I've never had any reason to group them together, however, when the workbook opens with the error, I can see that the two sheets are, in fact, selected. In add...

missing or ill egal extract range advanced filter
I am trying to use the Advanced Filter in a macro routine. If I include all of the fields from the list, the macro works with my Copy to location, A1:K1. If I change my Copy to location to exclude irrelevant columns, I change the range to A1:G1. Every time I do this, I get an error messge: "The extract range has a missing or illegal field name." Since the filter runs fine, if I include all the field names, I assume I must have one missing. I'm copying and pasting the values, so the Copy to field headings match the list's field headings. Here are the criteria, if that co...

csv file will not open
Hi, we are exporting (save as) report data to csv on a Novell network. when Excel 2003 sp1 attempts to open the csv file, we get a message that the file is read only. the file does not open. we can export the data to csv on the local computer and open it in excel just fine. we can open the csv file that has been created on the network drive using notepad, word and access. Your help is greatly appreciated. Scott ...

OE6 -- Reducing DBX File Size?
Hi Folks, My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the = emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. I tried to = compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 = MB of empty space).=20 Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox? Thanks in advance! Bob Guv Bob wrote: > Hi Folks, > > My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. I tried to compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have...

File error: data may have been lost.
What could be the cause for system to pop up such message when opening an Excel spreadsheet in Japanese. The spreadhseet is created using Excel 2002 in Win XP Japanese. Hi (konichiwa), if you cannot open the file, try this: open a new workbook. Insert > Object > Create From file> >browse to file then okay. This creates a picture linkt othat file. Click it and see what happens. It worked for me when file became unopenable. - Mark - mark >-----Original Message----- >What could be the cause for system to pop up such message when opening an >Excel spreadshee...

Make (save) a file by using macro recorder.
Hi all, I am new to macro and using macro recoder to create macro. On one file which I recieve every week from material department. I need to reformat and create pivot table. I use macro recorder and everything is working good. However I need that when my recorded macro end it create a file with the same name with the date and time it was create. I need every week a new file and I dont want to replace the one. Please let me know how I can create a new file with the date and time everyweek when I run my macro. Thanks -- Farhan Hi Farhan This should do it, just insert you...

Stencil file size
We have created stencils from Autocad files from some suppliers. They are nice looking but are very slow when trying edit them in any way. Is there a way to easily modify the Autocad files to simplify them without removing detail to decrease the files size associated with the stencils? Are there attirbutes or underlying details that can be deleted? Hello Peter, A few questions for you: When you say stencils, do you mean you've actually created .vss files rather than straight diagrams (.vsd)? How many Masters does your stencil contain and what is the size of the file? Also, wha...

Getting 'unspecified error' sending email with embedded image?
I'm using an email newsletter template in Word, and including image files. I cut and paste the final word version into Outlook, and send. When I format the images to appear in front of the text, and try to send as an email, I get a message 'unspecified error' and the email won't send. If I format the images behind the text, the email can be sent, but the images do not appear in the received email. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot, Judy ...

Insert file name in Excel
I want to insert the file name into a cel of my Excel Worksheet. I need this for document management issues with Microsoft Business Soltutions Axapta. I work with Microsoft Office Excel 2003. =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1)) +1,FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("[",CELL ("filename",A1))-1) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I want to insert the file name into a cel of my Excel Worksheet. >I need this for document management issues with Microsoft Business >Soltutions ...

Web link to Excel file
I'm trying to link to an Excel 97 file from a ColdFusion web page. The first time I click the link, the file opens fine in the browser (I.E. 5.5). If I close the file and click the link again, I get a message stating 'filename.xls is currently being modified by "my user name here". Open as read only?'. I can still open the file as read only, but am wondering why I get this message, because I'm not making any modifications. I've had other people try this link, and they get the same thing, except it tells them that they're the one modifying the fi...

How Do I Share Data Files?
I need to deploy an application which shares data among all users of a computer. I thought I could do that by putting the data file in the Common Application Data folder. However, that doesn't work because Vista is using virtualization to make a unique copy of the file for each user, so it isn't being shared. How do I deploy an application with shared data? Is there a document anywhere that describes the best practices for folder usage in Vista? -TC ...

Access Database Files Are Blocked
After downloaded a security patch I can no longer receive Access database file as attachements (MDB Files). Does anyone know a workaround? Jack Depends on the version and Service Patch but check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "Jack Henslee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:117e901c3f4be$6e950790$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After downloaded a security patch I can no longer receive > Access database file as attachements (MDB Files). Does > anyone know a workaround? > > Jack ...

Personalise bulk distribution?
Hi, I've searched the articles but cannot seem to find an answer or documentation anywhere. I am trying to send emails from a template in CRM to a list of recipients but everytime I do so all the emails sent has the name and details of only the first recipient in the emails. Can CRM send email to more than one recipient at the same time and change the details in all the emails to the details of the individual recipients? As in first name, last name, company name, etc in the body of the message? Thanks, Andre' -- Andre'''' The Business Zone 31 Durban South Af...

Attached file problem
Outlook 2003 refuses to open an attachment sent to me with the name Confirmation.rtf giving out the message: "Cannot create file: Confirmation.rtf. Right click the folder you want to create the file in and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder." However if the same file is sent with a different name (say confirm.rtf) then Outlook is quite happy to open it! I have hundreds of emails in my Sent Items folder each with an attachment called Confirmation.rtf - could this be the cause of the problem? Incidentally I can't open any of...

File transfer
Please help In moving files from one computer to another, the pages appear shrunk (all row heighths are smaller even though the number of height did not change) when opened on the new computer. Both have Office 2000 and I tried using the file transfer wizard and moving them manually. I have six year of data that is screwed up!! Mr Rubble, It isn't likely that the file transfer messed it up, but that some difference in the systems is causing this problem. It isn't clear what your problem is. Are you talking about the appearance on the screen (as opposed to print or print prev...

select and copy files
I have a table that has following fields: 1) account number 2)assiciated file name and 3) description of file 4) file path. Filenames are formatted as account number with 2 digit alphanumeric code following (i.e. 12345a2, 67890b1) table has approximately 300,000 records each associated with one of 130,000 unique account numbers. Goal is to select and copy to new destination only those files associated with a subset (approc 100,000) of 130,000 unique account numbers. Inversely, I could copy all 300,000 files then select and delete those associated with the 30,000 account numbers. any...

Is there anyway to import a file from Illustrator to Publisher? #2
I work with a graphic artist who uses Illustrator on a Mac. I need to import her files (including graphics) into Publisher to use to do mail merges from an Excel spread sheet. I am running Publisher 2007 on Windows XP. Many thanks for any help................. Can't be done. If it was a file on your computer, you could try a copy and paste but there's no common format for the two programs. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "maggie94306" <maggie94306@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

unable to open password protected PST file...
I have password protected a private PST file. When I open Outlook 2002 and click on the PST file - it asks for my password. If I just click cancel there - I see no way to open that file again unless I quit Outlook and come back in. When I click on the PST file, I would have thought it would have asked for the password again, but it gives a different error and no where can you specify the password... Any ideas? Thanks, Brad Can you clarify why you are clicking on Cancel the first time Outlook prompts for your password? Normally, one would just enter the pw at the prompt and your'...