Breaking down a novel into sections

Hi,

I'm writing a novel that is a good 250 pages now.  When I first started
writing, I tried using the outline feature, but it wasn't quite what I was
looking for.  Now things are getting a bit cumbersome.

What I really want to do is to be able to highlight sections of text (maybe
a single line, maybe a paragraph, maybe three pages) and add a note, which I
could then sort in a multi-level outline.

So, for example, if there was a battle scene, I would like to be able to
label the first three paragraphs as "Fight begins", the next five as
"Protagonist is wounded", then the last three as "Protagonist dies."

I guess I'm looking for a combination of the outlining feature and the note
feature.  Is there something like that in there that I'm missing?

Thanks!

"Comments" could work -- it's alongside Track Changes in whichever
version of Word you're using. Select the block of text you want to
identify and click Comment. The selection remains highlighted, and a
balloon appears in the margin.

Or, you could simply insert Headings, and format them as Hidden, and
press Ctrl-Shift-8 when you want to view them.

On Mar 15, 5:06=A0am, ZoSo <Z...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a novel that is a good 250 pages now. =A0When I first started
> writing, I tried using the outline feature, but it wasn't quite what I wa=
> looking for. =A0Now things are getting a bit cumbersome.
>
> What I really want to do is to be able to highlight sections of text (may=
be
> a single line, maybe a paragraph, maybe three pages) and add a note, whic=
h I
> could then sort in a multi-level outline.
>
> So, for example, if there was a battle scene, I would like to be able to
> label the first three paragraphs as "Fight begins", the next five as
> "Protagonist is wounded", then the last three as "Protagonist dies." =A0
>
> I guess I'm looking for a combination of the outlining feature and the no=
te
> feature. =A0Is there something like that in there that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks!

0
Peter

Page Breaks Start Each Section on Odd Page Number
I have a report that is over 500 pages long but I need to put in page breaks that separate the "sections" - each new section needs to start on an odd page number - sometimes leaving a blank page between. I have tried a few of the suggestions that were previously posted on here but nothing seems to work. I either get a loop that just runs forever trying to set up the report or I get a blank page on every even page number.... Does anyone have any suggestions??? Reen-a-been wrote: >I have a report that is over 500 pages long but I need to put in page breaks >that separate...

Lifetime Planner Income Section
In other income in the Lifetime Planner, you can enter Social Security income. When I use the default for Social Security and check the Yearly Snapshot, Money 2005 does not recognize current tax laws. I've been waiting 4 years for them to fix this. The Yearly Snapshot penalizes my husband for working full-time and collecting Social Security benefits. In other words, it does not allow his full social security amount. The tax laws allow anyone 65 and over to work full-time AND collect Social Security Benefits without penalty. Has anyone else discovered this? ...

How to determine the element name for a tab, section, etc. on a fo
Hi all, I want to add some code to hide and enable form controls in the OnChange event of another field on the form. I have found how to show and hide other fields and their labels using the syntax: crmForm.all.new_licensenumber.style.display = "block"; crmForm.all.new_licensenumber_c.innerText= "License Number"; etc., but now I'd like to show/hide a tab and some sections in a form. How can I determine what the name is for a tab or a section element, or any other control, for that matter? Any help is greatly appreciated! Jason there is a developer toolbar ...

User Defined config section "You must implement a default accessor on System.Configuration.ConfigurationLockCollection because it inherits from ICollection."
""You must implement a default accessor on System.Configuration.ConfigurationLockCollection because it inherits from ICollection."" Hello All, I am having my app.config file like : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> <configSections> <section name="PredefinedClusters" type="BinaryChecker.ClusterSection,BinaryChecker"/> </configSections> <PredefinedClusters> <Cluster name="Portal"> <Environments> <Env name="a...

How do I break the value (Y) axis in an Excel chart ??
I'm trying to shorten the Y axis on an Excel chart by breaking it. Is there a way of doing this outside of pasting a text box and inserting two diagonal lines (which don't stay attached to the chart when you move it!)? Jon Peltier has instructions, and links to a couple of other techniques: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html JimP wrote: > I'm trying to shorten the Y axis on an Excel chart by breaking it. Is there > a way of doing this outside of pasting a text box and inserting two diagonal > lines (which don't stay attached to the cha...

Pivot table: Page breaks
Is there anyway to prevent a pivot table row from being split onto two pages when printed? You could use the Workbook_BeforePrint event to set the print area. For example: '================== Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim str As String str = Sheets("Sheet1").PivotTables(1).TableRange2.Address With Sheets("Sheet1").PageSetup .PrintArea = str .CenterHorizontally = True .CenterVertically = True .Zoom = False .FitToPagesWide = 1 .FitToPagesTall = 1 End With End Sub '========================= John wrote: > Is there anyw...

Column Heading Text Enlarged in Page Break Preview
I am using Excel 2000 on Win XP Pro and when I save a document in page break preview, close the document and reopen in page break preview, some of the column text/headings on the spreadsheet have a very large font that you cannot read them...when switching to normal view, the text of the column headings becomes the original font again...problem occurs intermittently, there are no page breaks in the document...also there is no special formatting for the column headings....anyone have ideas on what may be causing this? ...

Add a Project Web Access as another section on an existing sharepo
Hello all, I have the following scenario: I have created a new Project web Access in this location http://localhost:83/projectserv , i have a sharepoint site as http://localhost:83 I would like to add the PWA as a section on th sharepoint site.I try to create a new site on the sharepoint site and change the link pointing to the PWA and is not enough because it take me to the main PWA. Thanks in advance PWA, by its very nature is its own site collection. I am a bit confused however, is your goal to have a URL of: http://localhost:83/projectserv/PWA or http://localhost:...

Can you get line breaks in a text cell
I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free text input. Is there a way I can put in a line or para break into a cell (as you can in a cell of a word table). Can't easily use separate cells as the number of paras can vary. I could use word but then I lose the facility to use excel on all the cells that contain data. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. TIA Rob Just hit Alt-Enter which editing a cell to start a new line RFJ wrote: > I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free > text input. &...

Showing a break in the Y axis
Can I adjust the vertical Y axis to show some physical break into two parts?...the lower part, showing the 0 mark at the base of the Y axis, then above the break (the break indicated by something like a couple lightning bolt lines one above the other), I want the y axis to start at 10, then go up to 15, 20 ...I want to emphasize a rising dramatic line trend from say 10 to 20 yet still see the zero tick on the Y axis...the values the line is based on range from 10 to 20, but if you show the zero on the y axis , the line looks more flat that plotting it from a scale of 10 to 20. Thank...

"New page" section break causing hidden blank page
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3 to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks seem to be fine. THanks! Check the formatting of the first paragraph after the Section Break. Is it format...

Error message in Onenote
I have installed OneNote 2007 on my computer running Windows 7. I have received an error message in the General and Unfiled tabs that states that "This Section is from a later version of OneNote had installed OneNote and cannot be opened." I did previously install and then uninstall OneNote 2010 beta. Any suggestions on how to fix this error message would be appreciated. Thanks. -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I have installed OneNote 2007 on my computer running Windows 7. I have > received an error message in the General and Unfiled tabs that s...

unwanted page breaks
Excel is automatically putting page breaks around every cell when I copy a worksheet. I amunable to move them or fix this by adjusting margins. Try going to "View", then "Page Break View". You should be able to adjust or delete from there. "bridget" wrote: > Excel is automatically putting page breaks around every cell when I copy a > worksheet. I amunable to move them or fix this by adjusting margins. If removing them using the approach suggested in the other post doesn't work, you may have a problem similar to what I just encountered...like ...

Page Break Problem
One user has problems viewing and printing Excel worksheets. Each cell becomes a page in the workbook. When I do a page break preview it shows each cell as a page. The same file opens without trouble on other PC's. Everybody is using Office 2000 Pro. I removed Office and reinstalled but the problem is still there. Ran a virus scan and that came up empty. Start by reinstalling the printer -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ngerm" <ngerm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82A481DC-BF7E-47FC-A8A4-3D3BC3F36307@micros...

Owner drawn Pop-up menu with break?
Hello, I've been tasked to update an older VC++ 6.0 application that has a pop up menu with a "Bar" break in it. This breaks the menu into two columns (It's a very long menu). Everything is fine until I try making the menu owner-drawn. Once I do that, the break stops working and I get one vertical column. Can anyone tell me how to do an owner drawn menu with a break in it under VC6? Help! Jack Isn't always the way? You finally give up and ask for help, then you figure it out yourself. Anyway, I found my problem. In case you're interested, For some reason I ...

How do you search for section names in OneNote?
I am using OneNote Sections for names of people but I may have hundreds of names so I want to type in a name to find that Section but I can't figure out how to do it. I know you can do a general search on all pages but I really only want to Search the Sections. Also, I assume you cannot automatically sort the sections alphabetically other than to do it manually - right? Steve > I am using OneNote Sections for names of people but I may have hundreds of > names so I want to type in a name to find that Section but I can't figure out > how to do it. I know you can d...

Performing A break even analysis
I am trying to peform a break even and sensitivity analysis using an input area, data chart and a chart to present the information. I have fixed costs, variable costs (one in each that are combo boxes that I change) and a selling price that is variable. ANY guidance on doing this would be appreciated. Its for my final assignment in a university course. Thanks In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions:- 1. Hit the F 1 key. This should launch Excel Help. 2. In the Search box towards the top left hand corner type the following (exactly):- "even" 3. Hit ...

Vista build 5728 and above break compatibility
Hi Guys, I've an application that formats removable usb drive through SCSI interface, this has worked for me for years including on Win2k,WinXP,Win2003 and Vista build 5600. But since Vista build 5728 something has broken. Below is a sample application that reproduces our problem. What it does is writing 100 times �Hello World!� data string on sector 108 through SCSI interface. The results that we see is that majority of the writes on the sector fail(see attached screenshot) and even the ones that claim to succeed write garbage data and not the �Hello World!�. Something that we no...

Spell Checking words with non-breaking hyphens (Ctrl+Shift+hyphen)
In Office 2007, spell check does not allow you to use Ignore All on words using a non-breaking hyphen, you are forced to use the Ignore Once option. Is there a setting to change spell check to allow you to use the Ignore All option?? ...

"this message has extra line breaks"
This line or its reverse (extra line breaks were removed) appears as a minimenu above my email messages. I don't want lines removed or added and I don't want to be offered the opportunity to do this. How do I get rid of this feature and menu? You can't. But you can toggle the default behaviour in; Tools-> Options-> tab Preferences-> button E-mail Options-> option Remove extra line breaks... -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Create your own f...

Disabling Sections in a tab.
C -- Jaber ...

how to hide section of worksheet based on a condition (e.g. tick .
I need to hide a section of a worksheet to make it more simple to understand. But I also want to display the hidden sections if needed , preferably by ticking a box? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Here's a simple example. If the user double-clicks A1, then the column G thru J will hide/unhide. Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target _ As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Not Intersect(Me.[A1], Target) Is Nothing Then If Me.[G:J].EntireColumn.Hidden = True Then Me.[G:J].EntireColumn.Hidden = False Else Me.[G:J].EntireColumn.Hidden = True End If End If...

Multiple page receipt not breaking at correct place
My two-page work orders aren't breaking onto page two at the right place. The line items & their associated details will continue well into the footer of the first page before the second page begins. Here's what I've got: Paper Size = 5.5 x 8.5 Margins: Left/Right/Top = .25 Bottom = .35 Header Height = 2.5 Footer Height = 2.0 I could post the entire text of the .xml file or attach it to another post if you'd like to take a peek. Any suggestions? Tom -- The worst words in business: "We''ve always done it that way" -- Stop Fishing for eMail. OK - i...

showing a break in bar chart
Can anyone tell me how to show a break in bar graph so that I can show small bars and large bars (truncated) on the same graph. Hi, Here are a couple of examples. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm Although I notice Jon provided these links to another post you made on the 19th Cheers Andy GK wrote: > Can anyone tell me how to show a break in bar graph so that I can show small > bars and large bars (truncated) on the same graph. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Extra line breaks in incoming plain text messages
Hello. I'm using Outlook 2003. Sometimes when someone sends me a message, it ends up being double-spaced. When I switch to Outlook Express (using the same mail server), the problem disappears. Am I the only one who is experiencing this? Mike Mike Kelly wrote: > Hello. > > I'm using Outlook 2003. Sometimes when someone sends me a message, it > ends up being double-spaced. When I switch to Outlook Express (using > the same mail server), the problem disappears. > > Am I the only one who is experiencing this? > > Mike My guess it is do to a different i...