Best location for Startup templates

I have my own opinion on this, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say.
 What do you think is the best location for Startup templates - on the local
drive or on a shared network drive.

We have about 1600 users, in several locations.  The Startup templates
contain macros and menus that are used to run other document templates (the
other document templates are stored on a shared network drive).  The macros
and menus change quite frequently.  We currently have a master copy on the
network that is copied locally at login.

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks...

Hello Adri

Adri wrote:
> I have my own opinion on this, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say.
>  What do you think is the best location for Startup templates - on the local
> drive or on a shared network drive.
>
> We have about 1600 users, in several locations.  The Startup templates
> contain macros and menus that are used to run other document templates (the
> other document templates are stored on a shared network drive).  The macros
> and menus change quite frequently.  We currently have a master copy on the
> network that is copied locally at login.

IMHO, this sounds pretty much ideal. Your users can work on their (new)
office documents even when the server is unavailable to them (server
down, or mobile laptop users). Moreover, you may make adjustments to the
templates at any time. Users will get the current standard next time
they log in.

The only drawback I can think of is users who don't really log off all
that often; after an important update, you might want to consider means
to force them to log off, or overwrite their local copy.

0.2¢
Robert
--
  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
  \ /                        |  MVP |     Scientific Reports

Template For IP4300
Hi Guys Has anybody out there got a print template for Canon IP4300 to print direct to disc using Publisher 2007? Thanks Make your own??? http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa753280.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "R J Wright" <rjwright@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:O44OEjy8HHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi Guys > > Has anybody out there got a print template for Canon IP4300 to print direct to > disc using Publisher 2007? > > Thanks Hiya.... I've do...

Oris Artelier Chronograph Mens Watch 676-7547-4051LS, Best Wristwatch World
Oris Artelier Chronograph Mens Watch 676-7547-4051LS, Best Wristwatch World Click Here To Website : http://www.watchebay.net/Oris-Artelier-Chronograph-Mens-Watch-676-7547-4051LS.html Wristwatch World: http://www.watchebay.net/ Oris Artelier Chronograph Mens Watch 676-7547-4051LS Information : Brand : Oris Watches ( http://www.watchebay.net/Oris-Watches.html ) Gender : Mens Code : oris-artelier-chrono-676-7547-4051LS Also Called : Case Material : Stainless Steel Case Thickness : 44.5 mm Dial Color : Silver Bezel : Stainless Steel Move...

Best way to store image, voice, text file?
Hello there, Is it possible to define a sql server field to store image, or voice, or text file? If the size of the file is very big, thus exceeding the max row size 8064 bytes limit, is it better to store it in a directory, and just save the location of the file in the field? Thanks, Ben On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 07:19:54 -0700, Ben <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello there, > >Is it possible to define a sql server field to store image, or voice, or >text file? > >If the size of the file is very big, thus exceeding the max row size 8064...

Personal.xls opens on startup...
instead of book1. How do I correct this issue? Normally, your personal.xls opens in the background while book1 is the default workbook. Now everytime I open excel, my personal.xls spreadsheet opens. I am using Office 2000 if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help. Sean When you have opened it, do windows>hide close excel and answer yes when asked if you want to save it. From now on everything should be back to normal -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sean" <sean.osworth@lmco.com> wrote in message news:145201c3a885$091d0780$a601280a@phx.gbl... > instead of book...

Tasks
I went to a table view for my tasks, went to the Field Chooser and chose "All Task Fields" I wanted to select the fields related to the recurrence of tasks... I "assumed" they would be similar to the calendar fields/functions: Recurrence range start & end dates, recurrence pattern, etc... but... I can not find any fields to add to my table view to display the information of this sort... I have repeating tasks, is there a way to display the information related to how they "repeat"? Sorry if I am missing something silly, I had no problems setting th...

Sell at One Location, Deliver from Another Location
For a multi-store retailer, is there any way in RMS to sell a product at one location, then deliver it from another one? For example, say a retailer has two stores, which includes two Store Operations licenses (one at each store) along with Headquarters. A sale is made at store 1, but the product is only in stock at the store 2. Is there a way in RMS (with HQ) to sell the product at store 1 but deliver it to the customer at store 2? I realize that this can be done via a stock transfer (to move the product from store 2 to store 1 after the fact), but this requires an additional manua...

Best solution to retrieve email on the road using 56k dial up
Got a situation here. My boos who often travels home to the East Coast only has 56k dial up available. We host our own SMTP Exchange server here so normally via DSL he has a few options. OWA, Citrix, RWW. however he complains this takes to long to download and read his emails. He wants to be able to download and go offline. We do not use VPN so downloading to his Outlook is not an option. We all have POP3 mailboxes at our ISP for backup in case our Exchange server becomes unavailable. I'm thinking if there is a way I can turn off his email from coming here to the Exchange server so ...

Locate a Cell based upon criteria
I'm trying to locate a cell based upon certain criteria. For example: =CELL("row",min(C6:C11)). What doesn't seem to work is using the Min function. Any thoughts on the best way to return a cell location? Many thanks for any help you can provide! Try... =CELL("row",INDEX(C6:C11,MATCH(MIN(C6:C11),C6:C11,0))) Hope this helps! In article <C598DBDD-0D25-48E3-AA44-6B6250176D67@microsoft.com>, "Stan" <Stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm trying to locate a cell based upon certain criteria. For example: > =CELL("ro...

Best way to use CAsyncSocket.
What is the best way for implementing a CAsyncSocket derived class for being a TCP client? I've been using a class for a few years, but I want a better class. I'm thinking about writing a class that would incorporate a CAsyncSocket derived class. That CAsyncSocket derived class would run in a separate thread? Is using a separate thread the best way? If in a separate thread, should the class send data out of the thread every time it gets data, using ::PostMessage to the mainfrm? Is there a better way? So if I'm doing PostMessage I would first "new" ...

how do I make an excel template
I am trying to figure out a way to make a spreadsheet to track fees that are paid each week in our soccer team. I have no idea where to start or what to do. I need something than can accomodate dates, names and an amount paid and that will also give me a balance per person each week. Are there any templates like this that anyone knows of, or is there a tutorial somewhere that I can attempt to make my own? Thanks I could help you with this, but need to know what the weekly amount would be to give you anything "nice". Meanwhile, you could take my extreme tutorial: http://www.off...

allow template user to insert picture
I'm creating a form which I will save as a protected template. How do I allow users to insert their own logo in a designated area? Is this possible? I tried using the "image" control box field but I'm not sure if this is what it is intended for. Thanks I think I'd use a macro that asked for the logo, unprotected the worksheet, added the logo and then reprotected the worksheet. Kind of... Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myPictName As Variant Dim myPict As Picture Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1") myPictName ...

Template Wizard w/Data Tracking in Excel 2003 Pro?
Does anyone know of a replacement for the Template Wizard with Data Tracking that used to ship with earlier versions of Excel? I find where I can download it for the 2002 version but it does not show up when installed with 2003 Pro. Microsoft describes it this way: "The Microsoft Excel 2002 Template Wizard is an add-in program that sets up a database to store data entered from an Excel form." I would appreciate any info. Hi NWBM, I have no personal experience but, according to Ron de Bruin, the 2002 Template Wizard works with XL2003. See: http://tinyurl.com/aqer7 ...

Cursor Location
I'm creating a questionnaire that will allow the user to input data in selected fields. How can I make the cursor advance to the next open cell if the user tabs or hits the enter button? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated First unlock the cells where the user will be entering their response (Format>Cells>Protection>Locked) Then protect the sheet. When you press tab, each of the unlocked cells will be accessed in turn. You could put an instruction to the user to that effect. "Glen" wrote: > I'm creating a questionnaire that will allow the user ...

Windows Live Mail Startup Error
When I click on the Live Mail link on my desktop the Internet Connection Wizard opens up. When I close it WLM then continues to load successfully. Is there any way to stop the ICW from opening? What kind of Internet connection do you have? Look in WLM at Tools (ALT+T), Accounts, Mail/News, Properties, Connection for each mail and news account. Unless you need WLM to dial a specific connection for you, you probably want the option unchecked there. -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "Forcecomp" <Forcecomp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Merge address in XL to Word letter template
Friends, Here is the basic situation. I have about 10 excel sheets containin addresses of thousands of contacts. They are written like this: [prior title][first name][middle name][last name][en title][street address line 1][street address line 2][street addres line 3][city, state zip] Not all cells, like titles, contain data for all persons. Anyway, wha I need is a way to insert, automatically, these addresses into th proper address space in a prewritten letter and on an envelope. I kno how to merge to create address labels in word, but not merge them int a completed letter, as in: Word Fil...

How to disable Contract Template window?
Hi All, Can we disable the pop up window to select Contract template, which comes up while creating a new contract? That means, whenever we crate a new contract, it always opens a pop up window to select contract template, can we disable that window not to pop up and takes a standard value for contract template? Any suggestions. Thanks in Advance. Ashwani Not in a supported manner. You could probably edit the underlying ASPX page though to remove the call. However, no telling what this might impact. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- -----------...

Unable to associate custom attributes with email templates
Hi I am Unable to associate custom attributes with email templates. Whenever i go to an email template & select a custom field. When i insert that template in an email it doesnot show up the data related to that field. I will be glad if any one can help me in this thanks ...

Email Template in Campaign Activity not available 04-24-06
If I create a Campaign in CRM and decide to communicate via Email with my marketing list members by using a Campaign Activity with "Email" as channel, I dont seem to be able to personalize the activity? One would expect to be able to leverage from Email Templates from within Campaigns...comments? ...

programming IE best source of info
like it says on the label SimonSX wrote: > like it says on the label > > Perhaps an *IE* group? This one is for *OUTLOOK* "like on the label". -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ...

Extremely slow open doc missing template
When we open a document with a template \\servername\folder and the server does not exist i e when opening a document attached in an email it takes about 5 minutes to open the document. The problem occours when working in a net work. If we replace the template path with normal.dot the document opens fast. But there are thounsands of documents. If I open the same document in Vista or in Server 2008 R2 I can press ESC to stop Word looking after the template. But it does not work in Windows 7. I am going to try this old solution .. think it is the same problem .. so maybe it ...

How to insert a template to letter activity in MSCRM 3.0?
Hi, Can we insert a template to a letter activity in MSCRM 3.0? Please let me know. Kiran... ...

Search and Update
Here is what I am trying to do. I have created a spreadsheet that keep track of movies (around 512 of them) and the I am trying to figure way to update the last time they were played. I currently have master list of the movies which will hold the "Last Played" Date. also have a weekly schedule that I print out which has the day they ar playing. What I was trying to accomplish is, using a ActiveCell.Offset (Or if anyone knows a better way) line to take movie on the weekly schedule, Find it in the Master List, Then take th Date just to the left of it (Weekly Schedule) and paste...

How to use PowerPoint template in my application
Hi all: I want to read some data from database then use PowerPoint template to create ppt file . How can I use this ? Thanks in advance ! Best regards . ...

Change Default Folder for a specific Template
Hi All, I am sure that this is a really simple question, but here goes. I hav a PO template that I want to always save to this folder S:\Purchas Orders\ENG POs when it creates an .xls . I cannot seem anyway just t change this one template's default directory. Is there a way? Thanks, SheGee -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, You could add an auto_open() macro to your template that will change the folder path. And a before_close() routine to reset it before closing. -- John johnf 202 at hotmail dot com "SheGeek >" <<SheGeek.zs364@excelforum-n...

What is the best way to set up an auto response
What is the best way to set up an autoresponse without using the Out o Office reply? Does this need to be set on the client or Microsof Exchange server? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com thanks a lot for responding....du ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com Hey, this is a peer-to-peer forum...you get what...