AutoFormat not working in Word 2007 in Windows 7

I have just installed the Office 2007 suite on Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
edition.  Almost everything works well, but I noticed that when I type
quotes, Word 2007 is not automatically converting them from straight quotes
to curly quotes.

I have went into the Word Options and tried the setting both ways, but it
makes no difference.

I have made absolutely no changes to this installation, and this problem
does not occur on my Windows Vista and Windows XP machines.  The computer is
virus-free (I have an antivirus solution running, I don't go to shady sites
to begin with, and I am currently running on a standard user account to
prevent unwanted changes).  I have all the currents Windows 7 and Office 2007
updates, as of January 8, 2010.

Hi Jason,

I very much doubt that Windows 7 or 64-bit has anything to do with it,
as I have exactly the same setup and my straight-to-curly quotes
autoformat does work.

The first thing to check is that you set the option on the "AutoFormat
As You Type" tab of the Options dialog, not on the "AutoFormat" tab.

Another possibility is that you're using a font whose curly quotes
look almost the same as the straight quotes; some of the newer ones,
such as Calibri, are like that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:21:01 -0800, Jason FreemanMCC <Jason
FreemanMCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have just installed the Office 2007 suite on Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
>edition.  Almost everything works well, but I noticed that when I type
>quotes, Word 2007 is not automatically converting them from straight quotes
>to curly quotes.
>
>I have went into the Word Options and tried the setting both ways, but it
>makes no difference.
>
>I have made absolutely no changes to this installation, and this problem
>does not occur on my Windows Vista and Windows XP machines.  The computer is
>virus-free (I have an antivirus solution running, I don't go to shady sites
>to begin with, and I am currently running on a standard user account to
>prevent unwanted changes).  I have all the currents Windows 7 and Office 2007
>updates, as of January 8, 2010.
0
Jay

Excel 2007 and XML with inline schema
Hi. I have XML data that I want to be more user-friendly when its opened in excel. The user can create a web Query which will return the xml to them - ( pointing to the URL with the XML information)- and they can refresh the query each time they open the document in excel. Unfortunately- they have to format the data in excel manually. I wanted to associate an inline schema with the data to format the date cells, number cells etc. but the schema is not recognised in Excel. I have been just trying to get excel to recognise an inline schema- is this possible in the Excel? Any information regardi...

Windows Vista Service pack 2
I get automatic updates from Microsoft. Everytime my computer tries to install Windosw Vista Service pack 2, it always fails. All other updates are marked as successful however this Windows Vista Service pack 2 has failed about twenty times. What can I do? I assume this is an important update but my computer just will not allow for this update. -- kdi Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista SP2 issues until 26 February 2010. Availability of chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may requi...

Adding custom pages to Windows Control Panel using MFC
Hi, Is there anybody know how to add a custom page to Windows Control Panel using MFC? I found some code on Internet but that was written in Win32 API. Also tried to find the material on MSDN but the content is pretty old (if I am correct) : http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dnarvc/html/msdn_ntcplapp.asp Thanks. Is this what you're looking for? http://www.codeproject.com/shell/cpl.asp Tom <hugheslin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1145355183.002746.18420@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is there anybody know how to add a cus...

Office Outlook 2007
In Task section, when you click on your client and add photos of their purchases, they just show as generic icons. Is it possible to make them show as real thumbnails? Annoys me a lot being an artist. You are in the wrong newsgroup Try here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general&cat=en_US_db03bd1f-73aa-41e1-abfd-27a6e3c352e5&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Marice" <Marice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E96D9300-619C-43C2-8503-17C12A2883CB@microsoft.com... ...

Working with Excel #2
Dear friends! I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this? Many thanks! Hi Igor2005, > I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number > with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this? > That is only possible with either: - an addin (search google, there should be something for this, I recall seeing it but misplaced the link). - or by formatting the cell as text (but you won't be able to do math with the number easily then) Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP www.jkp-ad...

Embedded Word Document
Hi, I have got an excel sheet with an embedded word document within it. I have a problem when it comes to printing out the sheet. If the user has type information into the embedded word document and it has gone over two or more pages, only the first page gets printed. Is there a way to get the others printed out? Thanks for any help. pG -- purplegerbil ------------------------------------------------------------------------ purplegerbil's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28461 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4...

why i can not run excel2000 in windows XP?
i have installed office2000 in windows XP correctly, but i can not open it. after the splash window, there are nothing displayed. please tell me why i met that mistake and how to resolve it. thank you for your help The following MSKB article may help: OFF2000: Program Quits Immediately After Starting When SR-1/SR-1a Update Is Applied http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=255503 bugbug wrote: > i have installed office2000 in windows XP correctly, but i > can not open it. after the splash window, there are nothing > displayed. > please tell me why i met that mistake ...

Search utility does not work for media files.
I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to find files using the Windows XP Search utility, but now if I specify Winamp media file in the Type of file field, then zero results are returned. It will still work if I do not specify a type of file (leave it on All Files and Folders), but searches take considerably longer this way. "Barry_M" <BarryM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7766EB88-8396-44AA-9478-CEDBE3ADDCDC@microsoft.com... >I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to find > files usin...

Copy a word doc to excel and hyperlink data between the 2.
I have a chart on an excel document and a long word document explaining the data in the chart. I would like to place the word document under the chart in excel. Then I would like to hyperlink the data from the chart to specific places in the word document. Help.....I have been trying to figure it out for days. Thank you. ...

Word found no merge fields in your main document.
I have been having good luck with mail merge but have suddenly encountered problem merging Excel data into a word document. All goes well until I elect Entire worksheet. It is at this point, an error? window opens with this message: Word found no merge fields in your main document. Choose the edit main Document butto to insert merge fields into your main document As this may be more a Word problem, I will post in both areas. Here is additional information. I have Office 2000 and XP. Recently working with this same database I created a phone directory. It turns out the data was old and I have...

[Windows 7] Move "Show Desktop" to the left side of taskbar, how to? (w/pic)
I want the "Show Desktop" button to be by the start button like it was in XP. How to do that? Pic is self-explanitory --> http://i46.tinypic.com/257qbmb.jpg See http://www.msfn.org/board/regards-moving-show-desktop-t128691.html&s=beadc2ca061fa0aff6d25b3f0f85f790 On 29/11/2009 13:32, G. Morgan wrote: > I want the "Show Desktop" button to be by the start button like it was in XP. > How to do that? > > Pic is self-explanitory --> > http://i46.tinypic.com/257qbmb.jpg ...

Excel 2007 convert into tab delimeter text file with extra tab spa
Hi , Sub: I have excel 2007 trying to save as tab delimeted text file having an issue. I have saved my excel 2007 as separate Tab delimited Text files. I see extra tabs stored in the tab delimited text files. But when I do the same with excel 2003 it works fine there is not extra tabs stored in my tab delimited text file. My excel 2007 conveted to tab delimited text file looks like as shown below(Extra two tabs at the end of the each record). Data0<Tab>data1<Tab><Tab> Data2<Tab>data3<Tab><Tab> Appreciate your help in advance. Rega...

Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error
Hi there, One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document. 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save button. 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where the file already exists. 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it will overwrite and save prope...

Bug Report
On Mac ----------- Construct linear plot in Excel including: 1. Title 2. X-axis label 3. Y-axis label Copy and Paste into Word Save and send to PC On PC ---------- Open file in Word Notice Y-axis label is gone I'm a Biochemistry student who uses Excel to do lots of number crunching. I use a 1.25G Powerbook G4 with OS X 10.4.3 and the newest version of Office. I copy plots from Excel to Word often when writing reports without any problems. Recently, I've began submitting reports electronically via email and my professor uses a PC. When he opens my files, Y-axis labels are mis...

Covered calls getting exercised not working properly
I'm using MS Money 2006 Premium edition and it's missing a key piece of executing a covered call. I can enter the initial sale of the call itself without a problem (sell to open) but if the call gets exercised, MS Money doesn't let me chose which shares will be called away. So, if I sold one call (represents the potential sale of 100 shares) in MSFT and I own 200 shares of MSFT (purchased in 2 lots of 100), if the call is exercised and I enter the Activity "Exercise," Money goes through all of the proper steps except it doesn't prompt me for which 100 share...

Outlook 2002
I use outlook 2002 on a Windows NT SP6a machine. While using outlook, i have noticed that sometimes the keys c, v, t and h stop working. however, i can use them in notepad. i can also use them in outlook if i put the caps lock on and use the shift key. if i restart outlook, the problem goes away. sometimes the problem goes away as well on its own without having to restart. any idea what is happening? language is set as english (Australia) ...

how to use RichInk control for Mobile word
Hi all, I am trying to view the word documents in Pocket PC. I got some MFC code in the following link. http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/word_embed.html It is doing well for reading Pocket PC 2003 word document (.psw). I tried this to read Mobile word ( Word document for WM 5.0).It showing some same invalid data for any input. If anybody has idea on it please help me.. Thank you, Supriya. ...

Windows SBS 2008 domain purchase and configuration wiza has stoppe
when clicking setup your internet address in windows SBS console, i select already have a domain name and i will manage it myself. a few seconds later i get the error "Windows SBS 2008 domain purchase and configuration wiza has stopped working" the only choice is to close the program. What do i need to do to fix this error without reinstalling everything? Is your server up to date with all patches? In particular, SP2? -- Cliff Galiher Microsoft has opened the Small Business Server forum on Technet! Check it out! http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en...

Excel 97 on Windows XP data sort error
I have had sorting errors using Excel 97 running on Windows XP. Is there a fix for this? I check Excel updates and the microsoft website says I already have all updates. Please tell what sort of errors. "Steve P" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00af01c39601$ad0c3d20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have had sorting errors using Excel 97 running on > Windows XP. Is there a fix for this? I check Excel > updates and the microsoft website says I already have all > updates. Sort errors are almost always data problems. You might have numeri...

Excel saved as Word
A colleague opened a spreadsheet in Word, made changes and saved it. Now it cannot be opened in Excel and only the first Worksheet is available. Anyone dealt with this? Thanks! > Anyone dealt with this? Yup - killed the colleague. Not much you can do unless you have a backup. In article <976401c3ea61$1d23f950$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Dean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > A colleague opened a spreadsheet in Word, made changes and > saved it. Now it cannot be opened in Excel and only the > first Worksheet is available. Anyone dealt with th...

Outlook 2007 long delay when attaching a file
Hi group, I have a long delay (about a minute) when attaching a file. Outlook freezes for a minute before Browse for a file dialog appears. Configuration: Windows 7 x64 BitLocker is enabled Domain joined computer Outlook 2007 SP2 Outlook uses Exchange Server 2007 Any ideas? BR, Mindaugas Do you have mapped drives? That will add a delay. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.ne...

Desktop Search & Outlook 2007
Windows XP Pro all updates applied. Office 2007. Is there a way to have the Desktop Search installed and not have it taking up space on the Task Bar? if you mean that window on the left side yes, right click the task bar and I think you can turn it off from the toolbars menu. The little icon on the right will remain running and you can use that to open the search Bill "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message news:eM2cGQ$SHHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Windows XP Pro all updates applied. Office 2007. Is there a way to have > the Desk...

Can I run proprietary Windows Software on Remote Desktop?
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I am using a PowerPC G5 Mac Mini. I am taking a course that requires a minimum of Windows XP or Vista. Can I install the course software on Remote Desktop so that I can use it to take this class, or is this just for using MS Office programs? Also, what is the cost of this service? On 3/24/08 12:03 PM, in article ee95dbc.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "boyerml@officeformac.com" <boyerml@officeformac.com> wrote: > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) > Processor: Power PC > > I am using a PowerPC G5 Mac ...

Pasting an excel worksheet into word
How do I rotate an Excel worksheet 90 degrees when pasting it into a Word file? Hi one workaround: - copy the data in Excel - insert the data as PICTURE within MS Word ('Edit - Paste Special') - use the 'Draw' toolbar to rotate this picture Note: The data is not updated within this picture if you change the Excel file. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Rix wrote: > How do I rotate an Excel worksheet 90 degrees when pasting it into a > Word file? Frank When I do this the rotate buttons are greyed out and I can't use them. Hi I just tried it (with Excel...

Set Form height at Runtime Access 2007 Runtime
I want a fixed number of records in my detail section no matter the size of the window. I put: Form.Section(acFooter).Height = Me.InsideHeight - (Form.Section(acHeader).Height + numrows * Form.Section(acDetail).Height) in my load event code. It works great when I am running the development code, but when I run it in runtime the detail height is at the default height. Any ideas? Thanks OK --- more information ---- When I put a ribbon on the form all is well. How can I figure out if there is a ribbon displayed while in runtime? In a .accdb file there is always a ...