autocorrect/format spaces between sentences

Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces between
sentences.  When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
automatically do it.

There is no automatic way to add extra unnecessary spaces between sentences.
This is a word processor with proportionally spaced fonts. If you want to
adopt ancient typewriter practice, then you will have to use the replace
function to add them later.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
> there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces
> between
> sentences.  When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
> break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
> automatically do it.

0
Graham
3/10/2010 3:08:11 PM
I get paid by the character, including spaces.......

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> There is no automatic way to add extra unnecessary spaces between sentences.
> This is a word processor with proportionally spaced fonts. If you want to
> adopt ancient typewriter practice, then you will have to use the replace
> function to add them later.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
> > there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces
> > between
> > sentences.  When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
> > break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
> > automatically do it.
>

> .

So you admit to padding your work to jack up your fees?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

>I get paid by the character, including spaces.......
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> There is no automatic way to add extra unnecessary spaces between
>> sentences.
>> This is a word processor with proportionally spaced fonts. If you want to
>> adopt ancient typewriter practice, then you will have to use the replace
>> function to add them later.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences.
>> > Is
>> > there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces
>> > between
>> > sentences.  When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each
>> > sentence
>> > break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
>> > automatically do it.
>>

>> .

0
Suzanne
3/10/2010 4:58:13 PM
A number of colleges, universities and other institutions require two
spaces between sentences.  There is a way to have speech to text put in
two spaces.  I just had to find out how for my dissertation.  I now need
to figure out how to turn it off.  If I find it I will try to post it
here.

I would also say that there is not full consensus about whether a
puctuation mark followed by one space is sufficient to signal a new
sentence. There are many exceptions to the "period one-space" sentence
signal.  You can find lots of discussion on it elsewhere.

Dr. W. C. Wiseley

--
cwiseley
cwiseley's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=1983

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

0
cwiseley

Number format using formula or cell content
Is it possible to use a formula or the content of another cell to set the number of decimal places? For example, if cell A1 had a formula which results in the value 4, I want cell C6 to show 0.0000 and if A1's value was 7 I want C6 to show 0.0000000. Thanks.... Hi not possible with a format. You'll have to use VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mike hutchins" <ma_hutchins@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ccdd7764.0409240642.3e6bb7d0@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to use a formula or the content of another cell to set > the number of ...

Format Excel cells for "all caps", with Office 07?
How do I format Excel cells for "all caps", with Office 07? That is to say that I use an Excel form frequently, which has several cells that require a single alpha character fill in. When the form prints, the lower case characters appear small and less predominant then the body text and numbers. Thanks for your suggestions. My best suggestion is to simply use the Caps Lock key. That's what it's for. If that doesn't work, you can use the Upper function, either in the worksheet or in VBA, to change data to upper case. Regards Fred "Louisana Jim&q...

Report format 04-10-07
Is it possilbe to report data within a row instead of a column? For example, if I had 3 records from a particular query, it would show up like this: Record1 Record2 Record3 I have a table that has data for each week. I want to put the week number as the heading for each column. Is this possible? Thanks, Jasper On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:36:37 -0400, "Jaz" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote: >Is it possilbe to report data within a row instead of a column? > >For example, if I had 3 records from a particular query, it would show up >like this: > >Re...

excel data label format special number characters (part 2)
Addendum to Previous post: I realized I omitted one crucial element from my previous post: I want the fractional data label to be a non-simplified representation of the source data (e.g. - if the source data is 10/6, I want the data label to be 10/6). Previous post: I'm trying to create bar graphs containing fractional data labels. The catch is, I want each bar in the series to have a different denominator value. Excel allows you to preset the denominator (e.g. - ?/4), but that denominator affects all members of that series. The question is, is this do-able and if so what special...

Can't save data label/leader line formatting in Excell 2007
I format the data labels (font type & size) and add leader lines then save the changes. However, when I close and reopen the document, the changes are gone. Can someone tell me why? And how I can save my formatting? I'm using Excel 2007. Thank you. Hi, I can duplicate the loosing of the leader lines, and I have submitted it as a but. But the font color, font size and position are retained. Please provide more details on any other change you aren't retaining. Also, make sure you have SP1 installed, it fixed a number of chart problems. Press Alt+1, choose Resources a...

My formulas can't 'see' numbers imported from Access in Excel, even when the format is the same.
Does anyone know why? Or how to make that happen w/o retyping all 200 numbers (employee numbers) multiple times on the list? I know that when I retype the numbers then the formulas can 'see' the number and do the calcualtion, but not if I don't retype. The formats are the same(number). A C Z AA 1 EmpNo Units Empno Ttl Units 2 77 7 77 10 =SUMPRODUCT(Empno=Z2)*(units)) 3 77 1 9533 11 4 77 2 10058 14 5 9533 7 6 9533 1 7 9533 3 8 10058 6 9 10058 2 10 10058 3 11 1...

So I think it should be easy but it isnt....... I have a number of cells in a row that are conditionally formatted and sum that are manually formatted...all have a background colour (either red, green or yellow) and all have the text colour of red... What I would like to do is add up how many cells have the text colour of red and sum this at the end of the row...... Is that possible? Any help appreciated Thanks Sam "Sam Harman" <sam@theman.com> wrote in message news:kqhm97t6368cm0hfuol624njk0nd6pd6fn@4ax.com... > So I think it should be easy but it isnt....... > &...

formatting time #2
How do I take off the seconds in my time-formatted cells? They look ok in the worksheet (h:mm) but in the formula bar and when I merge the data into WORD, the seconds show up. I also created a Custom format and that didn't work. Hillary You can format the merge field in Word. Right-click the field and after the field name type \"hr:mm" Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >How do I take off the seconds in my time-formatted cells? >They look ok in the worksheet (h:mm) but in the formula >bar and when I merge the data into WORD, the seconds show >up. I...

Formatting Cells on a Table Word 2003.
I have a table set up on a document in Word 2003. Is there a way to format each cell that when I type a 1 it automatically turns into a $1.00. Just like when you format cells in excel that if you format it to a accounting and type a number in that cell it automatically turns it to $*.** Word doesn't support setting a numeric format for table cells directly, but you can do it if you insert text form fields (with a numeric format specified in the Text Form Field Options dialog box) into the cells and then enable forms protection. Note that if you don't want a protected documen...

probelm formating equations
hi there! is there a way for me to put an equation in a cell but beeig able to see it? for example : if i put this in a cell : " =C5+C8 " (C5 and C8 are cell numbers which got in them values i.e 8 ,32 etc) will i be able to see after pressing the enter button the "8+32=40" ( C5 has the value 8 and C8 has 32) or "8+32" instead of the value of "40" that i get so long? thanks in advance for spending the time to cope with my problem .... bye kwstas. You could use = C5 & "+" & C8 & "=" & C5+C8 the downside ...

Lebans Report2PDF
First off, I want to express how much I appreciate this tool, and if I can't get around this issue it's not the end of the world. However I am having a small formatting issue I want to see if anyone has any suggestions for. I have a report that has three side by side sub- reports within it, each of which can grow. The middle sub-report has web addresses which I've formatted with underlines and colored blue to help the customer realize they can click on it to go straight to that page (which is really a function of their reader, but many customers wouldn't realize they could d...

Cell format Issue
When enter 899405090111023400 in my excell sheet, it always convert to 899405090111023000 why is this? changing cell format doesn't help -- mar "marlon" <marlong@ceytel.lk> wrote: > When enter 899405090111023400 in my excell sheet, > it always convert to 899405090111023000 > why is this? Because Excel treats that as a number. On data entry, Excel will convert only the first 15 significant digits. Moreover, Excel will display only the 15 significant digits. > changing cell format doesn't help Actually, it does -- if you format th...

Excel conditional formats
Is there anyway of having more than 3 conditional formats in excel? "Eric Hudson" <Eric Hudson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78E42F61-DCB5-45E1-8652-3D84C2D5E4B8@microsoft.com... > Is there anyway of having more than 3 conditional formats in excel? J E McGimpsey has a page "Getting 6 conditional *font colours* without macros" which includes links to other C/F sources. HTH, Andy How do I find 'J E McGimpsey'? This is my first time asking for information on this discussion group. "Andy Brown" wrote: > "Eric Hudson...

How do I read messages that are in MIME format?
I keep receiving messages in Outlook that come through as scrambled text and the only legible part says: "This is a multi-part message in MIME format." Other people can view these messages fine as they are sent to my collegues but my computer doesn't seem to accept them. Please help?! what version of Outlook? What type of email account do you use? Is that text visible in the message body? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick...

Automatically format charts with range of dates
What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from another spreadsheet. They are basically week totals for my business and make a chart compared to say last year. What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter the new data in and change. Instead of having to go into the chart data and changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to reflect the ...

SFO/Web Client
....for example, OL automatically formats phone numbers no matter how you enter them in a contact form. It is a tedious issue, but people come to expect this from applications these days. You may want to enter your suggestions at the CustomerSource site under "Global Suggestions". -- Brandon Smith IT Director Presentations Direct - Specialized Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com "John BTV" <JohnBTV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1582791-B689-43FC-A5E9-FC7C2B318503@microsoft.com... > ...for example, OL autom...

Date and time as long format in the taskbar
Operating system Windows 7 professional 64 bit the time is shown in the desktop of Windows in the taskbar down on the right. Is there the possibility in this place of showing the time and date into long format, example: Su, 29.08.2010 13:34:47? thanks Josef Josef, I don't think so, but if you "hover" your mouse cursor over the date shown, it will display "Sunday, August 29, 2010" (American format). The format displayed is controlled by the "Long Date" format chosen in "Control Panel/Regions and Languages". Will those choices sa...

I want blank cells, but they're all zeros now that I have formatted them
:confused: I have formatted my spreadsheet with numbers � amounts, date and allsorts, but now the subsequent rows all contains zeros, what function would I use to say - when it's zero, leave the cel blank ? -- hays ----------------------------------------------------------------------- hays4's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2806 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47581 Click on Tools>Options: in the "View" tab in the bottom section title "Windows Options" uncheck the "Zero Values&...

Formatting information
Hello, I exporting a report to excel. The report is exported in Excel 5.0 format. When the information is displayed in Excel I need to re- format it to use in a report that I produce. Currently i do this manually but would like to automate the process using macro's. Firstly I want to re-format the date in column A, the information in this column are peoples names. This appears in the format Surname, First Name I want to change this to the format First Name Surname....eg Bloggs, Joe becomes Joe Bloggs. How can I do this? I have worked out hoe to re-format the other sections b...

Formatting #9
I have a column of data, which is formatted in currency. I would like to be able to change $45,000,000.00 to say 45.0 without re-typing the information. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance Penny Hi Penny You can apply a custom number format of #.0, Each comma will knock off three zeros Good Luck Mark Graesse mark_graesser@yahoo.co Boston M ----- Penny wrote: ---- I have a column of data, which is formatted in currency. I would like to be able to change $45,000,000.00 to say 45.0 without re-typing the information. Is there a way to do this ...

Formatting Axis Titles
I am running Excel 2002 and Windows XP server on a network PC. When I generate a scatter plot and attempt to re- format the axis titles, the active text boxes exclude the right-most string of text. In other words, it appears that the text box resizing is failing. Any suggestions? I have been doing this for years on previous versions of EXCEL and Windows and have not problems on my home machine with EXCEL 2002 and Windows XP home. Thanks You could try adding a couple of spaces and a period to the end of the title. To prevent the period from appearing on machines without the proble...

Automatically have a sentence added to my emails
In addition to using a Plaxo signature on my outgoing emails, I would also like to add a sentence saying in effect " if you would like to be removed from receiving further email from this address please respond to ...." Terrykennedy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In addition to using a Plaxo signature on my outgoing emails, I would > also like to add a sentence saying in effect " if you would like to > be removed from receiving further email from this address please > respond to ...." Why not just add that sentence to your signature f...

More Space ?
In a spreadsheet I'm using I have run out of columns. Is there a way of increasing the number of columns in a spreadsheet? I'm using Office 97? Thanks in advance, Mike Unfortunatly there is no -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Well that sucks! But thanks for the info :) "kraljb >" <<kraljb.1cp5pp@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kraljb.1cp5pp@excelforum-nospam.com... > Unfortunatly there is not > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > ...

Space after comma
I have a list of names that are in a last name, first name format. After the comma there is not a space so the name appears like Last,First. Is there any function that i ca use to put a space after the comma so it appears: Last, First? Thanks for the help! One way: Highlight the list. Select "Edit", "Replace". In the "Find" box typ a comma. In the "Replace With" box type a comma and a space. Selec "Replace All". That should do it. :cool -- ElsiePO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ElsiePOA'...

Conditional Format 04-21-10
Hello, I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the value. The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the occurences but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! The way the spreadsheet is designed, the probability of more than 4 IDs being used at any given time is slim, so the next time IDs are...