autocorrect/format spaces between sentences

Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces between
sentences.  When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
automatically do it.

There is no automatic way to add extra unnecessary spaces between sentences.
This is a word processor with proportionally spaced fonts. If you want to
adopt ancient typewriter practice, then you will have to use the replace
function to add them later.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
> there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces
> between
> sentences.  When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
> break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
> automatically do it.

0
Graham
3/10/2010 3:08:11 PM
I get paid by the character, including spaces.......

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> There is no automatic way to add extra unnecessary spaces between sentences.
> This is a word processor with proportionally spaced fonts. If you want to
> adopt ancient typewriter practice, then you will have to use the replace
> function to add them later.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
> > there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces
> > between
> > sentences.  When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
> > break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
> > automatically do it.
>

> .

So you admit to padding your work to jack up your fees?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

>I get paid by the character, including spaces.......
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> There is no automatic way to add extra unnecessary spaces between
>> sentences.
>> This is a word processor with proportionally spaced fonts. If you want to
>> adopt ancient typewriter practice, then you will have to use the replace
>> function to add them later.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences.
>> > Is
>> > there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces
>> > between
>> > sentences.  When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each
>> > sentence
>> > break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
>> > automatically do it.
>>

>> .

0
Suzanne
3/10/2010 4:58:13 PM
A number of colleges, universities and other institutions require two
spaces between sentences.  There is a way to have speech to text put in
two spaces.  I just had to find out how for my dissertation.  I now need
to figure out how to turn it off.  If I find it I will try to post it
here.

I would also say that there is not full consensus about whether a
puctuation mark followed by one space is sufficient to signal a new
sentence. There are many exceptions to the "period one-space" sentence
signal.  You can find lots of discussion on it elsewhere.

Dr. W. C. Wiseley

--
cwiseley
cwiseley's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=1983

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

0
cwiseley

Error 3085 Format$ being changed to [Format$] in query by one user
I have a report that is query driven. It works great from two different computers. A third user tries to run it and mysteriously the query changes and she receives Error 3085. Then if I or another user tries from our machines, we get the error too. I have figured out that something is changing the :"Session Date By Day: Format$([Asshanrpt Work Table].[Session Date],'Short Date')" statement to: "Session Date By Day: [Format$]([Asshanrpt Work Table].[Session Date],'Short Date')". The change from Format$ to [Format$] ? Why? I fix the query and the re...

Public Folder "Format"
Hello, I read this morning, in this article : http://www.msexchange.org/articles/MF021.html, that for a public folders to work best as a shared mailbox, it is suggested to change the "default format" of a public folder from "Post" to "Email". An MVP even provides a script to make it so. Question: Is this correct? And if so, is there some other GUI way to make this setting change instead of the script process? What are the downsides if it is not done? Do I really need to do this? Suggestions? Thanks Jim Let's put it this way. In Exchange 5.5, the def...

Formula not reading date format
Hello: Based on a person's "available date" I need to categorize that person as "0-30 days," "31 to 60 days," or "> 60 days." Below is the formula I'm using: =IF(B2>(TODAY()+60),"> 60",IF(B2>(TODAY()+30),"31 to 60","0 to 30")) The problem is that my formula does not read the date format in the file that I get. I have to go into each date, hit F2 and enter, and then the formula reads it. Below is the worksheet setup Initially.... A B C 1 Name Avail Date Range 2 L...

change public folder format from POST to E-mail
How can I change the public folder format from POST to EMAIL in Exchange 2003? On Fri, 5 May 2006 11:38:02 -0700, mikew <mikew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I change the public folder format from POST to EMAIL in Exchange 2003? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817809 "Update to permit the caching of incoming SMTP messages as IPM.Note" thanks for your quck reply. It works! "Andy David - MVP" wrote: > On Fri, 5 May 2006 11:38:02 -0700, mikew > <mikew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > >How can I change the public folder ...

Conditional Formatting #57
Using the wizard how would I get cell A3 to turn red if cell A1 is greater than cell A2. Thanks Steve Hubbard Hi, click on "Formula is" rather than"Cell value" and enter = =$A$2>$A$1 then set your formatting (Patterns) to red. jeff >-----Original Message----- >Using the wizard how would I get cell A3 to turn red if cell A1 is greater >than cell A2. > >Thanks > >Steve Hubbard > > >. > select "Formula is" in formula block type =a1>a2Then select the format button, select patterns and set color to be red. >-----Or...

Conditional formatting referencing multiple cells.
Good day, Hoping someone can help=85 In cell C4 I have percentage In cell E4 I have a due date In cell F4 I have calculated the number of days something is overdue using this formula: =3DDAYS360(TODAY(),E4) What I would like to be able to do, is highlight the cells A4 to F4 if C4 is less than 100 and F4 is less than 1. Many thanks to whomever can help! Select the *entire* range A4:F4 starting from cell A4. Cell A4 will be the active cell. The active cell is the one cell in the selected range that is not shaded. The formula will be relative to the active cell. In Excel 2...

Date in text format
I have a text "Dec 12 2003" in a field. How to convert the text to a date format like 12/12/2003? Hi Krish! Try: =VALUE(MID(A1,5,2)&LEFT(A1,3)&RIGHT(A1,4)) Or: =--(MID(A1,5,2)&LEFT(A1,3)&RIGHT(A1,4)) Now format mm/dd/yyyy or dd/yy/yyyy depending upon what you think 1/12/2003 means (1-Dec-2003 or 12-Jan-2003) -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. Hi Krish, 1) On Sheet2 in A1 type Jan; select this call and drag fill hand...

Conditional format if cell=0 then font colour same as background .
I have linked a cell from another sheet. If the original cell is blank, 0 shows in the linked cell (text would be typed in source cell). To handle this, I conditionally formatted the linked cell, so if it equals zero, the font colour is the same as the background colour of the cell so you can't see the zero But the zero still prints even though it is not showing prior to printing Try the formula =IF(Sheet1!F14="","",Sheet1!F14) in the linked cell. HTH Sandy -- to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk "Paligap" <Paligap@discu...

Input from Access
Hi All, I have an excel spreadsheet linked to Access. I input some information in Access and it appears in the Excel ss. The problem is that the numbers are formatted as text. This produces an error because the numbers are in a summed column. In Excel the column is formatted as number. Any ideas on how I can force the text to be formatted as number when it receives new data. The Excel Form is not open when updated by Access. Any help greatly appreciated, Jeff How are you transferring the data? Jeff wrote: > Hi All, > > I have an excel spreadsheet linked to Access. > &g...

Conditional formatting #113
I am comparing two rows of numbers that contain an few "N/A" so I have numbers and text. How to I use the conditional formatting for this or would a formula be needed, etc??? Thank you for any assistance you can provide. Please provide an example of what you are trying to accomplish. "sweetsue516" wrote: > I am comparing two rows of numbers that contain an few "N/A" so I have > numbers and text. > > How to I use the conditional formatting for this or would a formula be > needed, etc??? > > Thank you for any assistance you can provid...

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Formatting for a score.
I'm having trouble putting in a score result into a single cell. Fo example, 2 - 1. I don't wanna span it over a few cells, but whenever put "2 - 1" into the cell it comes up as either "37988" or "2-Jan". tried formatting the cell as a normal number, and as general, but i reverts back to date or some other whacky format. Anyone got a wa around this? Oh, and I DO want to have spaces before and after the "- cos I hate the way "2-1" looks. Too cramped. Plus that doesn't wor either anyways -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Certain date format in cells
If I format a cell to 'Custom' 'dd-mmm' it displays as e.g. 01-Jan. If, however, the cursor is on the cell, it displays '01/01/2003' as the actual contents of the cell in the formula bar. This becomes a problem when you are building a list over time that includes (in this instance) birthdays where you are not interested in the birth year. When sorted in birthday sequence, it will obviously group those together that were added in the same year i.e. 2002 will appear separately from 2003 etc. Any workaround? "Chris van Lelyveld" <cvanlely@mandelametro...

VBA Conditional formatting #2
Yes, but can I instead of the color also get the conditions? Thanks Steve -- Steven E ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Steven E.'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1512 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26812 Take a look at the code at Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm "Steven E." wrote: > > Yes, but can I instead of the color also get > the conditions? > > Thanks > Steven > > -- > Steven E. > --...

How does outlook know what format to display an email?
I'm a developer in a company that makes software that encrypts email messages and am working on a bug that says that if an email was created in Outlook in Rich Text format and has elements in it like a table then the Rich Text formating is lost upon receipt of the email. It looks like Outlook is looking at the encrypted email and deciding that it must be text and all formatting is lost. The actual data itself is still present in the received email and is displayed in simple Text format but the Rich Text formatting is lost. So, the real question is 'How does Outlook know what sort of...

Converting and sorting US dates into European format?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5F7E2.A79C38F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable XPP SP2 Excel 2003 SP2 Hello, I have a long list of dates in US date/time format, ie "11/16/2005 = 11:38:08", that needs to be sorted in date and time order. Preferably, I should also be able to convert this into the European = date/time format of "YYYY-mm-dd hh:mm:sec". How do you do this in the = simplest possible way in Excel? I was thinking that one should possibly first con...

Format all contacts with specific telephone input for Outlook and Motorola A1000
Some of my contacts from Outlook 2002 have entries like this: +44 (20) 12345678 and some have: +44-20-12345678 How can I make *all* my contacts on my A1000 have the telephone numbers in this format: [INDENT]+cc-ac-nnnnnnn[/INDENT] where *cc* is country code *ac* is area code and *nnnnnnn* is the telephone number. I would like them in that format with the "+" at the front (int'l format) and "-" seperating the numbers. I *don't* won't any spaces or parentheses in the numbers. It seems when I sync with the phone and Outlook, I get different entries - some with...

Cell Format

Help
An issue has come up in office 2003/excel. A date field carried over from a spreadsheet written in Excel 97, cannot format/read the date properly. The date is ok for the first 10 cells. After that, all are inserting 12-1-2011 instead of the actual date. I have all of the dot net framework files upgraded to date. The problem is so serious that I'm considering migrating to Open Office if there is no fix to the current problem. PLEASE HELP!! -- Visit Family Radio Today http://www.familyradio.com/ You say A1:A100 dates are OK but after that the only return is 12-1-2011 What does...

date format not change in custom
Hi, I use CONCATENATE fx to join 3 columns of data containing year month and date. I copied the column containing the CONCATENATE function and paste as value in a new column. I set custom to format as dd.mmm.yyyy in the new column (My computer regional short date format is dd/mm/yyyy). but the format didnt appear as dd.mm.yyyy. Instead, I had to edit or f2 the cell then enter to make the conversion take place. What is unique abt the date format? Rather than CONCATENATE use something like: =DATEVALUE(A1&"/"&B1&"/"C1) This will create an actua...

Importing to Excel file from .txt format
Hi all, I want to write a automated program so that when i give .exe name at command line it should read/search for(specific pattern from the .txt file(in a specific directory) in .csv format and import to excel file in tabular format.Can anybody help? Regards Bubunia Why an executable and command line and blah-blah-blah, when you can use Excel's built-in VBA to do the job? Just record a macro while you are opening a text file in Excel, and you'll get most of the code! HTH, Nikos "Sobhan" <bubunia2000@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message news:818f3297.0402020830.d...

Imported Mail to Outlook 2003: HTML formatting does not display
I have just importe messages from outlook express which were imported from eudora 6.0. The messages that were i nthe euors "out" folder which is roughtly equal to the "Sent items" folder in outlook. Do not display correctly. Rather than seeing the formated text displayed, you see a plain text message with the html code... How I correct? ...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook XP How to lock down email format / colour and disable signatures
My boss wants a uniform email look for everyone throughout the organisation, as users are using bizarre colours for email backgrounds, unusual fonts, and their own personal signatures. To create a standard signature for users using information from AD, I believe there are 2 ways: either create an event sink using a VB script (I dont know how to do do this, so I won't be trying); or use a third party application like Exclaimer (BTW is there a good alternative to this - I have a quote for this but it is pretty damn expensive for what it does). To prevent users from using their own signatur...

Conditional Currency Formatting
Hi, I would like the currency format of my cells to change depending on th value of a combox or cell. I know this can't be done using conditiona formatting. I have tried using the .NumberFormat code in VBA but I get th following error Run-time Error '1004' Unable to set the NumberFormat property of th Range Class. I am using Excel 97. Ideally, I'd like to solve this without using code! Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Without knowing more, I can't provide a detailed=20 solution. But this example may help. If A1 is greater=20 than 100, for...

Outlook 2003 Group by Field space
How do I remove the extra line spacing in Outlook 2003 when using the "Group by Field" option? ...