Auto-Editing

Word 2003 has a very annoying default.  It assumes too much!  If I reformat a
few words in a document, it changes the entire document to that formatting.
Grr-rrr-r!  I have to constantly press undo to get what I want.  I know
there's a feature that's causing this annoyance but I can't find it to turn
it off!  Can anyone help, please?

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/wholedocumentreformatted.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Connie Martin" <ConnieMartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Word 2003 has a very annoying default.  It assumes too much!  If I
> reformat a
> few words in a document, it changes the entire document to that
> formatting.
> Grr-rrr-r!  I have to constantly press undo to get what I want.  I know
> there's a feature that's causing this annoyance but I can't find it to
> turn
> it off!  Can anyone help, please?

0
Stefan
11/25/2009 6:23:23 PM
Thank you very much.  I would've never have thought to look at the
format/style part.  Connie

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/wholedocumentreformatted.htm.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Connie Martin" <ConnieMartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Word 2003 has a very annoying default.  It assumes too much!  If I
> > reformat a
> > few words in a document, it changes the entire document to that
> > formatting.
> > Grr-rrr-r!  I have to constantly press undo to get what I want.  I know
> > there's a feature that's causing this annoyance but I can't find it to
> > turn
> > it off!  Can anyone help, please?
>

> .

I'm glad I could help.

--

> Thank you very much.  I would've never have thought to look at the
> format/style part.  Connie
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/wholedocumentreformatted.htm.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Connie Martin" <ConnieMartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Word 2003 has a very annoying default.  It assumes too much!  If I
>> > reformat a
>> > few words in a document, it changes the entire document to that
>> > formatting.
>> > Grr-rrr-r!  I have to constantly press undo to get what I want.  I know
>> > there's a feature that's causing this annoyance but I can't find it to
>> > turn
>> > it off!  Can anyone help, please?
>>

>> .

0
Stefan

How do I edit the subject line of emails that I've received?
I used to be able to edit the subject line of my received emails that are in my Inbox. Some people do not know how to compose a helpful subject line. :) Somehow I hit the wrong key or the wrong button, and now my ability to edit is gone. I can't figure out how to do it again, and I can't find it in Help topics. I might not be searching for the correct phrase, though. Any help would be SO appreciated. Thanks! Reply to the email, change the Subject line and then close it, saving the changes. "e11en" <e11en@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

ODBC ms Query will not edit saved query
Hello, I am using Excel to query an Oracle database. When using Excel 97 and Windows95/98 all saved queries worked fine. After upgrading to Windows2000 and Excel 2000 queries will refresh data, but we cannot edit the queries. When we choose "get external data / edit query" MSQuery appears to flash on the screen for a split second and then vanish. I have created system DSNs as instructed by Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 322046, but it did not correct the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS, David ...

insert row when cell full, auto wrap
Hi there, I used this code in ver 2003 to insert a row and wrap text in a cell..BUT, it does not work in ver 2007. Any ideas? Much appreciated. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim NewRwHt As Single Dim cWdth As Single, MrgeWdth As Single Dim c As Range, cc As Range Dim ma As Range With Target If .MergeCells And .WrapText Then Set c = Target.Cells(1, 1) cWdth = c.ColumnWidth Set ma = c.MergeArea For Each cc In ma.Cells MrgeWdth = MrgeWdth + cc.ColumnWidth Next Application.ScreenUpdating = False ma.MergeCells = False c.ColumnWidth = ...

publisher, wrong edition?
im trying to open a file i made in publisher at college but when i try and open it at home off my pen drive its saying i can open the file from another version, is there anything i can do? At college, save the file in the version of Publisher you have at home. -- Don Vancouver, USA "jessica" <jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7222AD16-3FE4-447C-B239-FB4A48E1DF1A@microsoft.com... > im trying to open a file i made in publisher at college but when i try and > open it at home off my pen drive its saying i can open the file from > another &g...

ValidationType.Auto and reading schema attribute
Hi, I would like my default ValidationType to be Auto. Now let's say I have both a DTD and an XSD file for this XML file being validated. While it's ValidationType.Auto, it will validate the DTD, but will not even attempt to read/validate the namespace or even check if schema file exists. I suppose it's a resolver problem; anyone have any insight on how I can have it check the schema File while Auto (without setting ValidationType.Schema)? ..NET 1.1 Validation can not perform DTD and XSD validation at the same time. If you have ValidationType set to Auto, and have a DTD decl...

Auto-Accept Agent event sink for Exchange Server 2003 help!
I have installed the Auot-Accept Agent, using the local system account as the service's account. I have edited the AutoAccept.config.xml file, leeaving only the "global" configuration information. I have run the RegisterMailbox.vbs and ListMailboxes.vbs scripts to add and list those accounts added (I created a text file with the default SMTP addresses as found in Exchange Server 2003). All of these steps appear to have gone off flawlessly... The problem... proving this is true with the MailboxStatus.vbs script. This script's XML output (run with the /DEBUG option on) indic...

Can't open a Publisher 2K file in Publisher 2002, edit text only .
Why can't I open an existing Publisher 2000 file with Publisher 2002, then make minor text edits and re-save the file in Publisher 2000 without getting the error message, "There is a picture on page 1 that is too large to be converted to previous versions of Publisher." Publisher 2000 did not use compression... PUB2000: File Size Increases Unexpectedly When You Insert Picture http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253973 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Art Frustrated with Publisher...

TILE can help you to edit RMS or POS 2009 items in seconds
TILE can make the task of record editing and updating extremely easy. With TILE, you will simply open your RMS records in a grid-like view (as we have in MS-Excel), quickly apply one or more filters, use your mouse to select the records, right-click, enter the desired value and update. All 100 records will be updated in a flash! For details, visit: http://www.24sevencart.com/tile.htm On Apr 22, 4:55=A0pm, Mark Antonio <antonio.mark...@gmail.com> wrote: > TILE can make the task of record editing and updating extremely easy. > With TILE, you will simply open your RMS recor...

Custom Context Menu for Edit Control
Hello all .. I have a control bar class, CTextBar, derived from the child of CControlBar which uses an edit control (CTextEdit derived from CEdit). And i want to create a custom context menu for the edit control with Copy, Selectall and Wordwrap. My wordwrap implementation is kind of not perfect and i feel it could be done better. However, currently i use something like destroying the edit control and recreating it with the right flags set to make the wordwrap effect, as in a notepad. This implementation has a disadvantage because it needs a pointer to its parent window (in this case, the CCo...

Can't "edit" underlined value in Rules Wizard screen
Running Outlook 2002. I go to Tools, Rules Wizard, and highlight an email filter called Junk Email. The filter works well, no problem. However, I want to delete some email addresses from that particular filter. The instructions over the lower half of that display say "click on an underlined value to edit it." However, clicking on the "Junk Senders" value does not open it. What do you think is wrong? All the other values in all the other filters in Rules Wizard will open and allow me to edit them. Marc ...

Money 2001 Small Business Edition (UK)
Hi, I have lost my Money 2001 CD which I got with my Dell laptop back in 2001, and have been running fine ever since. I installed some software which is now forcing Money to reinstall itself, and I cannot find my CD. So I need to upgrade (which is fine), but which version support the old 2001 Small Business edition? Many thanks, Hi I managed to find out that the version is Personal and Business, not Small Business. Can anyone offer some advice as to which versions are compatible with which? I simply need to access my personal account transactions as the business side was never us...

Editing an Automatically Sent Message
We have a user that setup a message to automatically be send each Monday. They now wish to edit that message, problem is, I cannot seem to find it. It doesn't even show up in her sent items. I am sure it is an easy fix, but it has alluded me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark Winning Systems Administrator Martin Memorial Health Systems ...

Auto-Hide and Always On Top Plug In or Code?
I have developed a small app I would like to have behave like the Windows XP Taskbar, in that users should be able to select either Auto- Hide or Always On Top, and get the same behavior you get with the Taskbar. Is this something I should be able to accomplish in code? When I first started this project months ago, I didn't think so, so I convinced my firm to purchase LogicNP's Shell Mega Pack Sorry, too fast the fingers. Anyway, there are a number of issues with the ShellAppBar tool that make it undependable, and LogicNP seems to no longer be supporting the product (or...

Moving the email addresses from Auto-Complete
This question is Windows Vista/Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 specific. I am about to upgrade a machine running Windows Vista to Windows 7. How do I migrate the email adresses from Auto-Complete to the new machine. I cannot find the *.NK2 file anywhere on this machine. The resposes always seem to reference Win XP or Outlook 2003. I need an aswer for my specific question. "John A" <John A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08F25A1C-B461-4A02-8562-3E491553CA07@microsoft.com... > This question is Windows Vista/Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 specific....

what is the difference between auto fill and custom fill
I do not think "custom fill" is a truly valid term. Autofill is the process that uses data in adjoining cells to determine the contents of cells. This can be based on Excel's internal rules or the contents of Custom Lists. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Auto Fill/Auto Lookup??
I have created a form to input new data into the database. The data table for the database is called "TAODailyLog". In this table the column headings are Date, Site ID, Buoy ID, WMO ID, and Deploy Date (there are others, but these are the important ones). I have another table called "siteid". This table I use primarily for looking up values. In the "siteid" table, the columns are Order, SiteID, pmID, wmoID, and juliandeployed. With each new record that is placed into the database, the user must put in the Site ID, Buoy ID, WMO ID and the Deploy Date. ...

Auto Function
Is there a way tin access if a certain field in a table is something that it will automatically fill something in another field. If a value within a table is 90 to 95 I would like it to fill in the value of 4 and if it is 96 to 100 to fill in a value of 5. Is there anyway for this to be accomplished. Thanks On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:45:01 -0700, Anthony wrote: > Is there a way tin access if a certain field in a table is something that it > will automatically fill something in another field. If a value within a > table is 90 to 95 I would like it to fill in the value of 4 and ...

Outlook prevents me from editing messages using cursor
Every now and then, Outlook prevents me from editing messages properly. I can't position my cursor directly within the text, but rather have to use the arrow keys to move back and forth/up and down in order to move around within the message. Also, when this occurs, I cannot select text to set in boldface text, italics, etc. What causes this? Hi Sandra, You are telling what is happening, but not what you have. What operating system are you using? What Service Pack Level? What version of Outlook are you using? Who is your Mouse Manufacturer? Are you using...

Auto Slate Excel File
I have a program call AutoSlate which tracks car maintenance fuel ect and for some reason it has stated putting ####### in the date field just certain ones not all the date field. If I click on the it will put the correct date in and when I save it it's fine. Though when I open the document back open I get the ##### in current date field again. I have also experience this in Documents to Go if I click on the ###### it will show in cell information the correct date but will not update it. Here is what I cut from the cells as you see it give the dates correctly but if you look at the docume...

Autocomplete address is incorrect
I have Outlook XP/Windows XP. I just migrated over from 2000, so if this is a no-brainer, please bear with me - I'm still a bit lost. I like that Outlook is now doing the autocomplete (or suggest) thing in the TO and CC name fields. But one seems to have gotten ahold of an incorrect name, and I'd like to know where to go to correct it. Help didn't give me much help. When I type in the first four letters, I get Last Name, First Name; when the name is completed, I get Last Name, First Name; First Name - and of course Outlook doesn't recognize the second First Name as valid. ...

Auto Archive #2
Auto Archive has requested to archive my Outlook folders, I click OK but when checking the Archive section I see no e-mail. The policies are to delete only items older than 12 mos. and the archive.pst file is in the proper place as listed. It is importsnt that these messages be available. Thanks Have you checked to make sure the messages are actually being removed from your primary Outlook file? If they're not, then AutoArchive isn't doing anything to them at all. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Ou...

Office stopped working after the auto-update a few months ago
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Microsoft Office stopped working after it ran an auto-update a few months ago. Now, when I open any of the Office apps, I get an error message like this: &quot;Check with the developer to make sure Microsoft Word works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X.&quot; <br><br>There are no available updates for Mac OS X or Office that I am aware of�when I run the Software Update it doesn&#...

Downloaded Payee Names Editing
In Money 2006 the payee field of a downloaded transaction is "grayed out" and cannot be edited - DIRECTV (1) for example. When I try to use the Payee Rules Manager to change the name to Direct TV, I receive an error stating that "DIRECV (1) is already being used as a payee or payee name variation. Please enter a different name." This seems counter-intuitive to me. Surely, I should be able to enter the preferred name and then list the unwanted variants I wish to have replaced with the preferred name. Are you in Advanced Register??? "Silbury Hill" <no-one@h...

How can the last 12months on the x-axis auto update each month?
My chart sould always display the last 12 months and every month I have to change the axis range so it displays the latests 12 months. I have seen this being used before so I know it can be done. Can you please help? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicLast12.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Faisal78" <Faisal78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5996F9D3-BE0A-4532-9664-E494E514E9A6@microsoft.com... > My chart sould always display t...

Auto Date on new email
We would like to have a date to be placed at the top in the content section of the email. Is there anyway of doing this? Outlook 2003. Thanks, Bodach you'll need to use VBA or an add-in. vba: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/date_stamp.htm http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/stampdate.htm addins: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/productivity.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips...