Adding "New" and "Open" to Start Menu - Windows 7

I am using Word 2007 with Windows 7.  I cannot find a way to add "New Office
Document" or "Open Office Document" to the Start Menu.  I was able to do this
in Vista and XP.  Thanks.

Not really a Word issue, but if you click on the Windows Start button and
then on all programs and locate the New Office Document and Open Office
Document items, you can right click on them and select Pin to Start Menu or
Pin to Task Bar.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"ADKR" <ADKR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using Word 2007 with Windows 7.  I cannot find a way to add "New
> Office
> Document" or "Open Office Document" to the Start Menu.  I was able to do
> this
> in Vista and XP.  Thanks.

0
Doug
4/11/2010 12:36:35 AM
Thanks for the answer.  I also posted this on the Windows 7 Forum site.
The problem is that with Win 7 there is no option of "new" or "open" to pin
to the start menu using All Programs.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Not really a Word issue, but if you click on the Windows Start button and
> then on all programs and locate the New Office Document and Open Office
> Document items, you can right click on them and select Pin to Start Menu or
> Pin to Task Bar.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "ADKR" <ADKR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am using Word 2007 with Windows 7.  I cannot find a way to add "New
> > Office
> > Document" or "Open Office Document" to the Start Menu.  I was able to do
> > this
> > in Vista and XP.  Thanks.

Perhaps you could create a shortcut to the Normal template and pin that
shortcut to the Start menu (or Taskbar)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

> Thanks for the answer.  I also posted this on the Windows 7 Forum site.
> The problem is that with Win 7 there is no option of "new" or "open" to
> pin
> to the start menu using All Programs.
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> Not really a Word issue, but if you click on the Windows Start button and
>> then on all programs and locate the New Office Document and Open Office
>> Document items, you can right click on them and select Pin to Start Menu
>> or
>> Pin to Task Bar.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "ADKR" <ADKR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am using Word 2007 with Windows 7.  I cannot find a way to add "New
>> > Office
>> > Document" or "Open Office Document" to the Start Menu.  I was able to
>> > do
>> > this
>> > in Vista and XP.  Thanks.

0
Stefan
4/11/2010 5:29:48 PM
I am not sure what version of Windows 7 you are using, but in Windows 7
Professional, those options do appear when I click on either the New Office
Document or Open Office Document items after clicking on All Programs from
the Windows Start button.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"ADKR" <ADKR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the answer.  I also posted this on the Windows 7 Forum site.
> The problem is that with Win 7 there is no option of "new" or "open" to
> pin
> to the start menu using All Programs.
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> Not really a Word issue, but if you click on the Windows Start button and
>> then on all programs and locate the New Office Document and Open Office
>> Document items, you can right click on them and select Pin to Start Menu
>> or
>> Pin to Task Bar.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "ADKR" <ADKR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am using Word 2007 with Windows 7.  I cannot find a way to add "New
>> > Office
>> > Document" or "Open Office Document" to the Start Menu.  I was able to
>> > do
>> > this
>> > in Vista and XP.  Thanks.

0
Doug

how do i open a publisher file created in new version?
I get publisher files in new versions of publisher. I have publisher 2000. I can't open these files but don't want to update publisher. Is there a download program I can get to translate these files? "Peg" <Peg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BD8AEDC-8386-4E7B-9D12-DAF429B171A2@microsoft.com... >I get publisher files in new versions of publisher. I have publisher 2000. > I can't open these files but don't want to update publisher. Is there a > download program I can get to translate these files? There is not a download to tra...

Exchange Server 2003
We have Exchange 2003 server and mostly OL2003 clients and a problem in at least one of our public folders started last week. This PF has contact information. The Views of the data look fine, but when you try and open the form we get a message: "Can't open this item. Unknown error" It appears that new items can be created fine, but if you then mdofiy it, the error above occurrs. OWA - can not open these items either. I tried clearing local Forms cache but not helping. Any advice? Bob no_spam_princer@netsysplus.com ...

Opening a new window
Ir I have a Word or Excel window open, and i open another, it opens BEHIND not in front of the active window. This is awkward, especially if I'm opening a password protected file as I have to close or minimise the fromnt windows to find the password pop up. This has only started happening since I upgraded to W7 from XP What can I do to make new windows open on top of existing ones? ianc2903 ...

New SBS 2008 SP2 Open License
Well, just purchased the Open License version of SBS 2008, it comes with SP2 on the media that you order from MS's download site. One would think that the install would, before any patches, at least allow the local admin account (the first one you create) to be able to access the http://companyweb, but NO, it's borked. Not only does it ask for a password, but it doesn't work no matter how many times you give it the password. Why would MS release a NEW SBS media kit where one of the services, COMPANY WEB doesn't work out of the box? So, now I sit here synci...

Can you open a new spreadsheet in a new program window?
The problem is that double-clicking a spreadsheet doesn't open a new instance of Excel, it opens it in the current one. Then when you click the close "x" in the upper right hand corner of the window, it closes ALL your workbooks, not just the current one. This is not consistent with the way Word works where opening a new Word document will open a whole new program window. Can I change a setting to make Excel behave like Word? I've tried this solution from oatleyd@myway.com to no avail: "The answer involves changing the file association stuff in windows. Go to expl...

Open form to new record
Hello all: Is there a way to control a form such that when it is opened, the index is positioned to add a record rather than display the current (first or any) record? Ron Marchand On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:29:35 -0500, Ronald Marchand wrote: > Hello all: > > Is there a way to control a form such that when it is opened, the index is > positioned to add a record rather than display the current (first or any) > record? > > Ron Marchand Always open that way? Set the Form's DataEntry property to Yes If only when opened from a command button on anther form (or ot...

Opening Doc's in a new Window
Hi, Currently when I am viewing a spreadsheet in excel and I want to open a different spreadsheet they open in the same window which I find awkward. I would prefer for the 2nd spreadsheet I open to start a new instance of excel so I can flick between the two on the taskbar. Is there a setting that controls this?. I'm using Excel 2003 on XP Pro. Thanks Paul Paul, Tools - Options - View, Windows in Taskbar -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a reply that's ...

Preference for opening new documents
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a preference to prevent a new Word or Excel blank document opening every time I bring up Word (or Excel) from the dock? <br><br>In Office 2004 I kept Word/Excel open but parked in the dock. When I clicked on them, the menu bar for the application opened across the top of the screen but not a new blank document. 90% of my work is modifying existing files so it is tedious to keep having to close the blank documents. <br><br>I have searched preferences but cannot find a way to p...

How do i open a file in a new version of Excel
How do I open a file using Excel 2000 in Excel 2003? File - Open. Don't worry about the versions. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "Rik Connors" <Rik Connors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5232839A-E656-441B-B460-F44517F1218F@microsoft.com... > How do I open a file using Excel 2000 in Excel 2003? ...

News headlines don't open
As of this morning, when I click on a news headline on my MS Money homepage, the links don't work... ...

Opening a word file opens "New" every time
Every time I open a file from a folder by double-clicking it opens as "New" and I'm unable to save it over the same file. In order to open it I have to right-click and click "open". The "New" opention from the drop down menu is also bolded. How do I change the default to "open" not "open new" ? -- Danish.inc First try the simple fix: Click the Windows Start menu and choose Run, type in winword /r (note the space before the slash), and click OK. That will rewrite Word's registry entries and may fix the pr...

can only open read only on newtwork
I have a large file on a network (about 60MB). Problem is that everytime i open the file i get some message saying "file alredy in locked for editing" i can only view the file as read only. Is there any way that i can save the file? ...

How do I open a new window for each excel application?
I need to have multiple windows for multiple applications to be able to bounce back and forth between them. I'm excel illiterate and I need help Alt-Tab HTH, -- Gary Brown gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this Post Helpfull to you?''. "Kris" wrote: > I need to have multiple windows for multiple applications to be able to > bounce back and forth between them. I'm excel illiterate and I need help As you specifically mention Excel, perhaps you mean back and forth bet...

Openeing Excel File in New Window
I am having a Form in my Excel sheet which runs all the time. whenever I try to open a new Excel sheet. that Forms popup and restricts Excel file from openeing si I have to open a new window and then open that file in new window. Please help with HOW TO OPEN THE EXCEL FIEL IN A NEW WINDOW EVERY TIME. Do you mean a new instance of excel--running excel 2 times--not just having another window in the same instance? If yes, try: tools|options|general|Check the "ignore other applications" box Then open the second file by either double clicking it in windows explorer or by opening t...

Can't open newly cretated file in Money 2005
I've got my regular banking info in Money 2005. I don't want investment info details displayed each time I open my (password protected) banking file so I created a NEW file for investments. I password protected it and then skipped adding banking info and just added investment info by connecting with various investment accounts. Finally I closed Money. I now try to open Money - I select the file from File -> Open and it prompt me for the password. I enter the password and then get a dialog which says "Before you can enter transactions, you must first create an accoun...

Opening picture in new window
I'm new to Publisher but am finding it pretty easy to use as I am in familiar territory in some ways - it's similar to word/powerpoint. I have very easily created a simple site but have a couple of queries. I have links on my site to a series of photos. I click on the link and this takes you to one page at a time with the photo and links to Next and Previous. However, what I would like to do is have a pop-up window which frames the photo to the exact size with the Next and Previous buttons - I think this would be much neater. Is this possible. My second question is that I wo...

Multiple Views: how to open both views at startup or on new document
Following the CHKBOOK sample in MSDN I finally have two different views associated with the same document, and working simultaneously. The problem is that when I run my program I only get the first view. The second view only appears when I *open* a document from a file, and not when I start a new one. The cause is no wonder, because the piece of code that opens the second view is only inside the OpenDocumentFile() function. That makes sense in the sample, which is designed to work always on a file (either is opens an existing file, or it creates a new one). Q: What code should I add where, f...

how do i open Excel program without loading a new worksheet?
Create a shortcut on your desktop (or whereever you want) that looks like: "C:\msoffice\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" /e Rightclick on the desktop select new select shortcut browse for excel.exe (mine was under: C:\msoffice\Office10, yours may not be) And add that space slash e to the end of the command Then use that shortcut to start excel. mElissA wrote: -- Dave Peterson http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm Recently, this has been occurring more and more. I'll bet that somewhere, someone, or something (publication - web site), is recommending this type of post....

open file from WinExplorer in new window
is Currently when i open an Excel file from WinExplorer, it shows up on the task bar but not open in a window where i can see the worksheet. Can that be set to always open in a new window? I thought I saw that choice with some application recently. I have just upgraded to using MS Office Excel 2007. I am not quite clear on what you are trying to achieve but based from my understanding I think you want to open several excel files in different windows? If you do, apparently excel doesn't do that, it only opens one windows tih all the documents inside. Please let me kno...

Opening new document in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I just switched from PC to MacBookPro with Microsoft Office 2008. It seems puzzling that when I open Excel to begin a new workbook there seems to be multiple sheets already open. Is there a way to only one sheet open when starting a new document? <br> Thank you. Three sheets is the default number for Mac as well as PC versions of Excel [although I'm not 100% sure about 2007, but I believe it's the same). You can change the default in Excel> Preferences - General. Pick a number from 1-2...

Suddenly not able to save new or open previous files with name lengths over 45 characters
I'm using Excel 2003 if it matters ... I'm wondering if there is a known bug/issue on this. For what ever reason, when I try to save a new file (or for that matter open something done previously) with a name that has more than 45 characters or so (might be off by a couple), I get message that it can't save and then gives me a bunch of reasons (file path might not exist, might have too many characters, folder might be read only, etc). I know file exists in the folder I'm checking - I can email myself the file and open from the email so its definitely there! Any sane insight? ...

Double clicking template
I don't know how this has happened...but now when I double click a template (.dot) icon, Word opens the template itself instead of a blank document (.doc) based on that template. Frustrating. I also had to reassociate the template extension (.dot) with Word.... so its obviously related to that problem. How can I fix this? I want Word to create blank document files like it used to.. thanks Word 2003 on XP SP3. You can manually change the default action from Open to New (through the same dialog in which you presumably restored the file association), but it's far easie...

Open an "new window" maximized in Outlook 2003
Whenever I right-click and select "Open in New Window" the new window is too small. How can I maximize it and get Outlook to remember the settings? I reviewed earlier posts that say to reset and close Outlook with a cntl + the X box but that doesn't seem to do it! Can someone take me through this step-by-step? Thanks, Morris ...

Create a field where a new number appears when the form is opened
I am trying to create a field that will have a number and I want to set that field to have the number change each time the form is opened. Each form must have a unique number. I know how to do this with a date field but figure out how to do this when the field just contains a number. Any ideas? Have you looked at the DMax() function? Morgan wrote: >I am trying to create a field that will have a number and I want to set that >field to have the number change each time the form is opened. Each form must >have a unique number. I know how to do this with a date field but fig...

Open 'new email' in outlook (using word as editor, as per normal)
I have a field in each record of a continuous form that contains an email address. There is a command button next to it which, when clicked, should open outlook to email that address. Like what happens in a normal email hyperlinks I can see two ways of doing this: 1) Turn the field to a hyperlink. This works perfectly, however it makes it a pain to edit the link. 2) Use the sendobject command in VBA / a macro. Again: This works, however unlike the above it opens the new message directly in outlook instead of using word as the email editor as per outlook settings?? Can anyone shed any ligh...