'Some' Word files suddently corrupted

Just today, when I attempted to open some older MS Word (2003) files (in MS
Word 2003), a dialog box appeared requesting the type of encoding required.
The text appeared all jumbled and included numerous meaningless characters,
rather than the original English text.
I had recently installed OpenOffice 3.1 in an attempt to open some older
OpenOffice documents. I uninstalled OpenOffice but the problem remains?
What has happened and is there a reasonable 'cure?'

Do the file icons appear to be different than what they were before? It may
be that the file association has been changed as a result of using Open
Office � I've seen that OO assumes the right to change the file association
& Word doesn't recognize the file type once it's been changed. Right-Click
one of the files then select Open With, then browse to select Word. Be
certain that the box is checked for "Always use...". See if that helps.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/20/09 11:26 AM, in article
F2606D55-82F0-4169-A26D-8D0617A4B158@microsoft.com, "Dale8994"
<Dale8994@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Just today, when I attempted to open some older MS Word (2003) files (in MS
> Word 2003), a dialog box appeared requesting the type of encoding required.
> The text appeared all jumbled and included numerous meaningless characters,
> rather than the original English text.
> I had recently installed OpenOffice 3.1 in an attempt to open some older
> OpenOffice documents. I uninstalled OpenOffice but the problem remains?
> What has happened and is there a reasonable 'cure?'

0
CyberTaz

XML Source Menu Item disabled?? File version??
My XML Source Menu Item is disabled (aka greyed-out). Why? I have a workbook with multi-worksheets and I want to enable a conversion to XML, I'm trying to follow the documentation here, but it's poorly organized and more poorly written (IMHO).. I can't find anything which tells me why the menu item would be disabled. The version is Office 2003 Pro and (clearly) the capability is there, I can see the "XML Source" item. I did a quick test and if I make a brand new file, I have the XML Source option so that means means this is a file version issue?. I know this wo...

Problem Importing a TXT File
I have a workbook named 05-03-31. It contains information for the first quarter of this year. Sheet 1 references cells on Sheet 2. Sheet 2 was created by importing a TXT file. I thought I had accomplished something wonderful at that time. I now have a new TXT file with second quarter data. I opened the first quarter workbook, 05-03-31 and saved it as 05-06-30, so now I have a second quarter workbook. When I Import the second quarter TXT file into the second quarter workbook it creates a Sheet 3. On Sheet 1 can I globally change all the references to Sheet 2 to Sheet 3? I tried deleting Sheet 2...

deleted log files
Exchange 5.5, the antivirus program deleted a log file, eseutil and isinteg result in JET errors. Is there anything I can do but restore? are you sure it deleted it, or did it move it to a quarantine location? if it deleted it, restore, with all the log files you do have, is your only option...make certain to first exclude all Exchange folders from any file-level AV scanning... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "dlw" <dlw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8E93BCD-208A-47AE-96C4-A242328F23F5@microsoft.com... > Exchange 5.5, the antivirus program deleted a log file...

Hyperlink File Help
I am needing some major help. I have a file with hyperlinks in column F that link to a file on our server. I am needing to test to see if the file exists and if it does, copy the file to a folder in my documents called (CapturedFiles) and if it doesn't format the cell color to red. Can VBA do this and if so how? I am very basic when it comes to VBA and any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Excel crashes while opening excel file imbeddied with macros
Help! This is the similar problem as mentioned by Delbert on 12/12/2005 that whenever they open a particular Excel file, it gives them a "Send Report Error." Weird thing about it is it doesnt happen in all other Excel files, only happens to this file when saving as usual and trying to reopen it shortly after that. It happens on my machine and my friend working on the same file also. Details: OS: Winxp Office 2003 SP2 Files are saved in local drive Files are around 12MB size (varies) Files have Macros imbedded Files have links While opening, the dialogue box appears twice, asking...

Script to backup and rename excel files...
I plan to use a row delete script (I have this already) to get rid of old data here at work. Before I run this though (I will be running it fairly frequently) I thought I should backup the file I am working on. Is it possible to write a script which creates a backup of the current Excel file I am working on, without changing the filename of the 'live' workbook, and which names the backup file with the time and date so it is both unique and also searchable (EG 03122003-1645.xls or similar) ? Ideally I would combine the two scripts so that once the script is run a backup is created an...

using the Lotus 1-2-3 file import, numbers command in excel
how do i use the lotus 1-2-3 file import, number command in an excel spreadsheet? this command in lotus..allows me to just import numbers, no text is imported..i do not want to import text...please advise..im trying to convert a lotus spreadsheet to excel and i need to figure out how to do this in excel ...

CVS file won't open in Excel 97, Help Please!
I'm new at this so please bear with me. I am trying to open a CVS attachment. The attachment contains a spreadsheet with imported tab delimited files.The attachment automatically opens my Excel program. (I have tried to save the file and open but that doesn't work either). When the program tries to open I get the error message: SYLK: File format is not valid My excel program is Excel 97 Any help would be greatly appreciated. This was posted by Myrna Larson: =========== >From - Wed Apr 12 17:18:13 2000 From: Myrna Larson <myrnalarson@home.net> Subject: Re: file form...

write Avi/wmv file using bmp images
How to write Avi/wmv file using bmp images I would think you'd want some sort of authoring package. Do you just want to show them one after another? If so you may be able to use something like: http://whorld.org/temp/BmpToAvi.html But, if you want to do anything fancy you'll want something like Premiere so you can lay out the timeline. Tom "Unknown" <gaurav.samsung@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8ae3fde3-a48d-4dfd-8bc4-2b609a14fc46@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com... > How to write Avi/wmv file using bmp images ...

Is there a limit to the number of worksheets in an excel file?
I have an excel file with about 150 worksheets. It will continue to grow. Is there a limit to the size of this file or can I just keep adding worksheets (they are inter-related with VLOOKUP functions). Per the XL help file, the no. of worksheets is only limited by memory. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have an excel file with about 150 worksheets. It will continue to grow. >Is there a limit to the size of this file or can I just keep adding >worksheets (they are inter-related with VLOOKUP functions). >. > ...

file with udf extension
Hi I have a file with a udf extension. When I searched the several sites said that it was related to excel, so I opened it with excel. When opened, it is incomprehensible letters and symbols. Is there a way to convert it so that it is readabl? -- Thank-you! Ruth http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=*.udf&aq=f&aqi=g3g-s1g3&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=C_KkU1f8HTKKKAYXUM8vi_dAKAAAAqgQFT9AdQ5A&fp=7ea2d229f2f9fbeb -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Ruth" <Ruth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Open Quark files in Publisher??
Is there any possible way to open a Quark file in Publisher? Hi MarkG (markg@jflv.org), in the newsgroups you posted: || Is there any possible way to open a Quark file in || Publisher? Nope. You would have to: 1. Attempt to use a copy/paste or drag/drop 2. Export the Quark pages as images supported by Publisher and insert them as images. 3. Export the Quark publication as a Word/RTF/Text item (less the images) and import the text only into Publisher 4. Export the Quark publication as a PDF, the go to ScanSoft.com and get the PDF software for Word/Publisher that allows you to import PDF...

split massive xml file

joining up files to one database
i got a few files i want to join to gether to make one file, so when i click it, all the tabs are at the bottom of the page? hope you understand that cheers for the help Shed, You'll need to do a Move (Edit, Move or Copy Worksheet) to move each sheet (or a copy of) into a common workbook. Then save that. No magic button. Shortcut: Right click a worksheet tab -- Move or copy worksheet is there too. Or you can tile (Window, Arrange) the two workbooks (get them both on the screen simultaneously), and drag the tab from one workbook to the other. Hold the control to copy instead of m...

Problem with Outlook 2003 BCM and offline files
Hello! I have a client with SBS 2003 and Outlook 2003. Whenever he logs off if his LAN workstation, he gets an error stating "Offline files (\\server\Users) Unable to make 'Contact Management database [1].MDB available offline on (UNC to his My Docs). Files of this type cannot be made available offline." As a side note, has anyone had trouble with Google Groups searches lately, say in the last week? I can search for items inside quotation marks such as "files of this type cannot be made available offline" and I get few hits, sometimes none. If I search without q...

number of fields exceeds 256 when importing from a dbf file
Hey evryone, I'm having a small problem with importing some old data from a FileMaker Pro database. According to what I found out in the groups archive the best bet is to convert it to a dbf file and then import it. However, I the number of fields in the dbf file exceeds 256, so the import wizard truncates the import at field number 256. I would now want to spread the data over two sheets. However, in the process of converting it to a dbf, quite a few of the field names get truncated and therefore have the same name, so I can't use SQL to retrieve them. My question is: what i...

Exchange mailbox recovery using Exchange DB files
I've shifted my Exchange 2003 machine to a new machine configured it and created all user accounts/mailboxes same as in old Exchange server and everything is working. I've all the Exchange DB files from old machine HDD i.e. .edb, .stm, ..log files as it is. But I don't have any type of backup using backup utility, but I have copy of all old Exchange files. How can I transfer mailboxes/mails from old machine to new one. I already studied Microsoft's Exchange 2003 Disaster Recovery Guide, and KB article "Offline Backup and Restoration Procedures for Exchange" ...

Excel data file format
How can I save a data set in *.xls format to *.asc, *.bin, *.wav,... Hi A macro like this will do Sub test() ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs ("C:\Temp\Opus1.wav") End Sub Don't expect too much from the orchestration though ... HTH. Best wishes Harald "Wordgeek" <Wordgeek@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:05764254-B74B-4466-9327-21CB22E5FAA5@microsoft.com... > How can I save a data set in *.xls format to *.asc, *.bin, *.wav,... "Wordgeek" <Wordgeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05764254-B74B-4466-9327-21CB22E5FAA5...

Most Recent File problem
Hi, I have Excel 2000, and I have noticed that if I launch an Excel spreadsheet from Windows Explorer, or from a search box (by double-clicking it), and do some work on that spreadsheet and save it, I then find that if I later open Excel and look for the file in the MRF list under the File menu item, it is not there.http://www.excelforum.com//images/smilies/confused.gif :confused: It appears that it will only make it into the MRF lists if I open Excel first, then use File Open to select the file, do some work and save it. So why aren't files listed that are launched externally? Or am I...

Missing Fonts in Word Art

Question on organizing large amounts of small Excel Files
I have a question regarding how I can best organize large amounts of excel worksheets so that they are more managable. I am using Excel 2002, and my problem is that the tool logs for the machine that I work with are getting out of hand. The machine stores process information in Comma Delimited form that we download into folders on our network drive. Usually we generate about 1500 logs per year. Currently, my Engineer has me open each individual file and format it. I created a small micro for this to make it easier, but it is still time consuming. Is there a way to apply a micro to large a...

pdf files #3
Hi, I am using ms publisher 2003 and would like to know how to insert pdf files into my webpages so people can click on them to open them as a separate document and then print them if they wish to. Thanks Mabeline If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader) you can download the free PrimoPDF. http://www.primopdf.com "Mabeline" <Mabeline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2AB9365-95CB-46F6-92F2-99AA18DF29A8@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I am using ms publisher 2003 and would like to know how to insert pdf > files > into my webpages so...

Datalist with an xml file

Log files in the srsdata folder
How can I clean out these .log files. They are taking up like 4 gigs and I dont think this should be happening. Is there a why to clean out these log files? LOCATION OF FILES C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\srsdata Thanks Hi, To purge all these log files you should take regular Online backup of your database... You can use ntbackup for the same.. Regards, Mukesh "Donnie Barnes" wrote: > How can I clean out these .log files. They are taking up like 4 gigs and I > dont think this should be happening. Is there a why to clean out these log > files? > > LOCATION ...

Word 2004 crashes when editing document
Hello, I am using Word 2004 for OS X. Today, Word 2004 began crashing whenever I tried to edit a specific document. I downloaded the Office update (11.1, I think), and it still crashed. I removed Office, removed all preferences, re-installed Office and the update, and Word still crashes. Thank you in advance for your help. The error log follows: Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 1.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2005-01-16 17:18:55 -0500 Application Name: Microsoft Word Application Version: 11.1.0.040910 Module Name: Microsoft_Drawing_2001Z Module Version: 11....