"New page" section break causing hidden blank page

I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple 
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in 
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following 
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell 
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3 
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks 
seem to be fine.

THanks!
0
Utf
6/3/2010 11:06:44 PM
word.docmanagement 5542 articles. 2 followers. Follow

19 Replies
2237 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 47

Check the formatting of the first paragraph after the Section Break.  Is it 
formatted to have a Page Break before it?


-- 
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

"KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:7B2B013B-187B-40CA-BFE5-5017F9417DE3@microsoft.com...
> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've 
> triple
> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the 
> following
> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone 
> tell
> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 
> 3
> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections 
> breaks
> seem to be fine.
>
> THanks! 

0
Doug
6/4/2010 12:33:21 AM
What do you mean by hidden blank pages?  I mean if you can't see them, how do
you how they re there?  

KMM wrote:
>I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple 
>checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in 
>parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following 
>section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell 
>me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3 
>to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks 
>seem to be fine.
>
>THanks!

-- 
Message posted via http://www.officekb.com

0
Pamelia
6/4/2010 12:42:03 AM
I don't know how to check that. I looked under Paragraph Formatting and I 
don't see anything there. How would you format it to have a Page Break 
before? 

Thanks for the quick response, by the way!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Check the formatting of the first paragraph after the Section Break.  Is it 
> formatted to have a Page Break before it?
> 
> 
> -- 
> Hope this helps.
> 
> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> services on a paid consulting basis.
> 
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
> 
> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:7B2B013B-187B-40CA-BFE5-5017F9417DE3@microsoft.com...
> > I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've 
> > triple
> > checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> > parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the 
> > following
> > section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone 
> > tell
> > me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 
> > 3
> > to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections 
> > breaks
> > seem to be fine.
> >
> > THanks! 
> 
0
Utf
6/4/2010 1:32:42 AM
 I can tell a few ways. When I look in the bottom left corner of the Word 
frame, where it tells you what page you're on, it goes from page 3 to 5 in 
one case.

I plan on printing this two sided, and want to leave inside margin larger 
for three hole punch, so I have mirror page formatting with a larger margin 
on the inside and I am missing the opposite margin page.

And while you don't see thee missing page in any of the Views in Word, if 
you do a Print Preview, you see the hidden ones.

Thanks.

"Pamelia Caswell  via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

> What do you mean by hidden blank pages?  I mean if you can't see them, how do
> you how they re there?  
> 
> KMM wrote:
> >I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple 
> >checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in 
> >parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following 
> >section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell 
> >me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3 
> >to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks 
> >seem to be fine.
> >
> >THanks!
> 
> -- 
> Message posted via http://www.officekb.com
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/4/2010 1:40:34 AM
If the back sides (the even-numbered pages) are completely blank, you
won't see them in Word except in Print Preview. Sounds like it's
behaving exactly as you need it to.

On Jun 3, 9:40=A0pm, KMM <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> =A0I can tell a few ways. When I look in the bottom left corner of the Wo=
rd
> frame, where it tells you what page you're on, it goes from page 3 to 5 i=
n
> one case.
>
> I plan on printing this two sided, and want to leave inside margin larger
> for three hole punch, so I have mirror page formatting with a larger marg=
in
> on the inside and I am missing the opposite margin page.
>
> And while you don't see thee missing page in any of the Views in Word, if
> you do a Print Preview, you see the hidden ones.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Pamelia Caswell =A0via OfficeKB.com" wrote:
>
>
>
> > What do you mean by hidden blank pages? =A0I mean if you can't see them=
, how do
> > you how they re there? =A0
>
> > KMM wrote:
> > >I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've =
triple
> > >checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> > >parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the fol=
lowing
> > >section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyo=
ne tell
> > >me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from =
page 3
> > >to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections =
breaks
> > >seem to be fine.
>
> > >THanks!
0
Peter
6/4/2010 2:13:35 AM
See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:7B2B013B-187B-40CA-BFE5-5017F9417DE3@microsoft.com...
>I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've 
>triple
> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the 
> following
> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone 
> tell
> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 
> 3
> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections 
> breaks
> seem to be fine.
>
> THanks!
> 

0
Suzanne
6/4/2010 2:33:07 AM
But I don't want the blank page. I want to know how to get rid of it. I 
suppose I should have included that fact in my initial post. I can't figure 
out how to "get to it" to get rid of it.

Thanks.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> If the back sides (the even-numbered pages) are completely blank, you
> won't see them in Word except in Print Preview. Sounds like it's
> behaving exactly as you need it to.
> 
> On Jun 3, 9:40 pm, KMM <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >  I can tell a few ways. When I look in the bottom left corner of the Word
> > frame, where it tells you what page you're on, it goes from page 3 to 5 in
> > one case.
> >
> > I plan on printing this two sided, and want to leave inside margin larger
> > for three hole punch, so I have mirror page formatting with a larger margin
> > on the inside and I am missing the opposite margin page.
> >
> > And while you don't see thee missing page in any of the Views in Word, if
> > you do a Print Preview, you see the hidden ones.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Pamelia Caswell  via OfficeKB.com" wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > > What do you mean by hidden blank pages?  I mean if you can't see them, how do
> > > you how they re there?  
> >
> > > KMM wrote:
> > > >I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple
> > > >checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> > > >parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following
> > > >section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell
> > > >me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3
> > > >to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks
> > > >seem to be fine.
> >
> > > >THanks!
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/4/2010 3:17:45 AM
Thanks. But I think I've gone through these ideas before I even posted. 

1. As a default, I always have my non-printing characters visible (I'm just 
nerdy that way), so I don't think there are any unknown paragraph returns in 
there...that I can see, anyway. As I said, I can't figure out how to "see" 
page 4 in a View (other than the blacnk page in print preview) to see if 
there is anything there.

2. I am certain that the Section Breaks are New Page ones. I am confident I 
inserted them that way, and when I go back and check them, they are labelled 
that way. And when I go to the layout tab it says "new page". 

3. COULD BE IMPORTANT! -- I thought the answer was there when it said that 
this can happen when the next section changes to landscape. In one of these 
instances, that was the case (I've since deleted that landscape section). So 
I double checked again, because it said it will sometimes change a New Page 
Section Break to an Odd Page one. But as I said, these all seem to be marked 
as New Page.

4. Blank pages not caused by Word...I looked through the printer settings 
and didn't see anything referring to a separator page or anything similar. I 
have an HP Photosmart, but didn't see anything in there that looked like it 
could be the culprit.

Ugghhh. So frustrating!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm
> 
> -- 
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
> 
> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:7B2B013B-187B-40CA-BFE5-5017F9417DE3@microsoft.com...
> >I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've 
> >triple
> > checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> > parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the 
> > following
> > section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone 
> > tell
> > me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 
> > 3
> > to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections 
> > breaks
> > seem to be fine.
> >
> > THanks!
> > 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/4/2010 3:29:45 AM
If you created the document yourself, then this would be a very long shot, 
but check the first paragraph on the page after the blank and make sure it's 
not formatted as "Page break before." Also make sure that you're in the 
right section when you check the section start type (it should be the one 
*after* the break).

If all else fails, I'll be happy to look at the document (or a portion of 
it) if you want to email it to me.

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:EFFEF00A-0AB1-4524-8D93-D4CFDAE47B2B@microsoft.com...
> Thanks. But I think I've gone through these ideas before I even posted.
>
> 1. As a default, I always have my non-printing characters visible (I'm 
> just
> nerdy that way), so I don't think there are any unknown paragraph returns 
> in
> there...that I can see, anyway. As I said, I can't figure out how to "see"
> page 4 in a View (other than the blacnk page in print preview) to see if
> there is anything there.
>
> 2. I am certain that the Section Breaks are New Page ones. I am confident 
> I
> inserted them that way, and when I go back and check them, they are 
> labelled
> that way. And when I go to the layout tab it says "new page".
>
> 3. COULD BE IMPORTANT! -- I thought the answer was there when it said that
> this can happen when the next section changes to landscape. In one of 
> these
> instances, that was the case (I've since deleted that landscape section). 
> So
> I double checked again, because it said it will sometimes change a New 
> Page
> Section Break to an Odd Page one. But as I said, these all seem to be 
> marked
> as New Page.
>
> 4. Blank pages not caused by Word...I looked through the printer settings
> and didn't see anything referring to a separator page or anything similar. 
> I
> have an HP Photosmart, but didn't see anything in there that looked like 
> it
> could be the culprit.
>
> Ugghhh. So frustrating!
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm
>>
>> -- 
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:7B2B013B-187B-40CA-BFE5-5017F9417DE3@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
>> >triple
>> > checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
>> > parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
>> > following
>> > section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can 
>> > anyone
>> > tell
>> > me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from 
>> > page
>> > 3
>> > to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
>> > breaks
>> > seem to be fine.
>> >
>> > THanks!
>> >
>>
>> .
>> 

0
Suzanne
6/4/2010 3:49:28 AM
I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on 
Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the problem 
is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the 
section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in it 
because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the section 
breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are appendices 
for a report.

http://drop.io/WordHelp

Thanks.


"KMM" wrote:

> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple 
> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in 
> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following 
> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell 
> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3 
> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks 
> seem to be fine.
> 
> THanks!
0
Utf
6/4/2010 4:20:54 AM
Thanks. I checked that. If I'm looking in the right place...Format paragraph 
and the tab "Line and page breaks". That box is not checked.

I'd love to email it to you. I'm not sure how to do that. I've also posted 
the problem pages on www.dropio.com/WordHelp. You can see it there, too. If 
you prefer I email it, let me know how I can do that.

I admit, though, I'm heading to bed now, so won't check this again until 
about 7:30 MST tomorrow.

Thanks so much!


"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> If you created the document yourself, then this would be a very long shot, 
> but check the first paragraph on the page after the blank and make sure it's 
> not formatted as "Page break before." Also make sure that you're in the 
> right section when you check the section start type (it should be the one 
> *after* the break).
> 
> If all else fails, I'll be happy to look at the document (or a portion of 
> it) if you want to email it to me.
> 
> -- 
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
> 
> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:EFFEF00A-0AB1-4524-8D93-D4CFDAE47B2B@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks. But I think I've gone through these ideas before I even posted.
> >
> > 1. As a default, I always have my non-printing characters visible (I'm 
> > just
> > nerdy that way), so I don't think there are any unknown paragraph returns 
> > in
> > there...that I can see, anyway. As I said, I can't figure out how to "see"
> > page 4 in a View (other than the blacnk page in print preview) to see if
> > there is anything there.
> >
> > 2. I am certain that the Section Breaks are New Page ones. I am confident 
> > I
> > inserted them that way, and when I go back and check them, they are 
> > labelled
> > that way. And when I go to the layout tab it says "new page".
> >
> > 3. COULD BE IMPORTANT! -- I thought the answer was there when it said that
> > this can happen when the next section changes to landscape. In one of 
> > these
> > instances, that was the case (I've since deleted that landscape section). 
> > So
> > I double checked again, because it said it will sometimes change a New 
> > Page
> > Section Break to an Odd Page one. But as I said, these all seem to be 
> > marked
> > as New Page.
> >
> > 4. Blank pages not caused by Word...I looked through the printer settings
> > and didn't see anything referring to a separator page or anything similar. 
> > I
> > have an HP Photosmart, but didn't see anything in there that looked like 
> > it
> > could be the culprit.
> >
> > Ugghhh. So frustrating!
> >
> > "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
> >
> >> See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> >> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> >> Words into Type
> >> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> >> http://word.mvps.org
> >>
> >> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:7B2B013B-187B-40CA-BFE5-5017F9417DE3@microsoft.com...
> >> >I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
> >> >triple
> >> > checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> >> > parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
> >> > following
> >> > section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can 
> >> > anyone
> >> > tell
> >> > me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from 
> >> > page
> >> > 3
> >> > to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
> >> > breaks
> >> > seem to be fine.
> >> >
> >> > THanks!
> >> >
> >>
> >> .
> >> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/4/2010 4:52:56 AM
The "issue" is caused by the page numbers being formatted to start at 1 
rather than continue from the previous section.

-- 
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

"KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:A3CA0E06-2E7C-4CA0-973E-7621B0483D0A@microsoft.com...
> I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
> Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the 
> problem
> is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the
> section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in it
> because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the 
> section
> breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are 
> appendices
> for a report.
>
> http://drop.io/WordHelp
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> "KMM" wrote:
>
>> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've 
>> triple
>> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
>> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the 
>> following
>> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone 
>> tell
>> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from 
>> page 3
>> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections 
>> breaks
>> seem to be fine.
>>
>> THanks! 

0
Doug
6/4/2010 5:08:35 AM
Yes, that will do it. Word insists on putting 1 on a recto page.

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message 
news:644BA89F-AC42-4CB4-9FD1-1CB43AF3732D@microsoft.com...
> The "issue" is caused by the page numbers being formatted to start at 1 
> rather than continue from the previous section.
>
> -- 
> Hope this helps.
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> services on a paid consulting basis.
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
>
> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:A3CA0E06-2E7C-4CA0-973E-7621B0483D0A@microsoft.com...
>> I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
>> Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the 
>> problem
>> is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the
>> section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in 
>> it
>> because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the 
>> section
>> breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are 
>> appendices
>> for a report.
>>
>> http://drop.io/WordHelp
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>> "KMM" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've 
>>> triple
>>> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
>>> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the 
>>> following
>>> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone 
>>> tell
>>> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from 
>>> page 3
>>> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections 
>>> breaks
>>> seem to be fine.
>>>
>>> THanks!
>
> 

0
Suzanne
6/4/2010 12:39:01 PM
Okay. But I don't have any page numbers in the document. I only see the ones 
in the Word "frame" that are showing for any Word document. How would that be 
formatted? I thought that was just Word keeping track of how many pages are 
in the doc. How do I get rid of that blank 4th and blank 6th page that I 
can't get to?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> The "issue" is caused by the page numbers being formatted to start at 1 
> rather than continue from the previous section.
> 
> -- 
> Hope this helps.
> 
> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> services on a paid consulting basis.
> 
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
> 
> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:A3CA0E06-2E7C-4CA0-973E-7621B0483D0A@microsoft.com...
> > I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
> > Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the 
> > problem
> > is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the
> > section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in it
> > because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the 
> > section
> > breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are 
> > appendices
> > for a report.
> >
> > http://drop.io/WordHelp
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >
> > "KMM" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've 
> >> triple
> >> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> >> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the 
> >> following
> >> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone 
> >> tell
> >> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from 
> >> page 3
> >> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections 
> >> breaks
> >> seem to be fine.
> >>
> >> THanks! 
> 
0
Utf
6/4/2010 1:07:30 PM
For each affected section, look in the Page Number Format dialog box. Make sure 
that "Continue from previous section" is selected (and not "Start at").

To display the dialog box: In Word 2007, double-click a header to activate it. 
Then click Header & Footer Tools tab | Page Number | Format Page Numbers. If you 
are using Word 97-2003, click the Format Page Number button on the Header and 
Footer toolbar.

-- 
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
(Message posted via news.eternal-september.org)



"KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:D0141A48-B9D2-4729-97A1-044C6EDEA7F7@microsoft.com...
> Okay. But I don't have any page numbers in the document. I only see the ones
> in the Word "frame" that are showing for any Word document. How would that be
> formatted? I thought that was just Word keeping track of how many pages are
> in the doc. How do I get rid of that blank 4th and blank 6th page that I
> can't get to?
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> The "issue" is caused by the page numbers being formatted to start at 1
>> rather than continue from the previous section.
>>
>> -- 
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
>>
>> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A3CA0E06-2E7C-4CA0-973E-7621B0483D0A@microsoft.com...
>> > I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
>> > Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the
>> > problem
>> > is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the
>> > section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in it
>> > because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the
>> > section
>> > breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are
>> > appendices
>> > for a report.
>> >
>> > http://drop.io/WordHelp
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> >
>> > "KMM" wrote:
>> >
>> >> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
>> >> triple
>> >> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
>> >> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
>> >> following
>> >> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
>> >> tell
>> >> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
>> >> page 3
>> >> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
>> >> breaks
>> >> seem to be fine.
>> >>
>> >> THanks!
>> 


0
Stefan
6/4/2010 1:19:41 PM
How do I do it? I see when I right click on the pages numbers, that even 
though it's page 5 in the Word frame, the box that comes up says "Formatted 
Page 1". 

How do I get it to paginate continuously? And when I do that, will page 4 
and page 6 disappear?

It sounds like you all may have discovered the cause, but how to I fix it 
and what happened to make it happen? 

Thanks!  

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Yes, that will do it. Word insists on putting 1 on a recto page.
> 
> -- 
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
> 
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message 
> news:644BA89F-AC42-4CB4-9FD1-1CB43AF3732D@microsoft.com...
> > The "issue" is caused by the page numbers being formatted to start at 1 
> > rather than continue from the previous section.
> >
> > -- 
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> > services on a paid consulting basis.
> >
> > Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
> >
> > "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> > news:A3CA0E06-2E7C-4CA0-973E-7621B0483D0A@microsoft.com...
> >> I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
> >> Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the 
> >> problem
> >> is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the
> >> section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in 
> >> it
> >> because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the 
> >> section
> >> breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are 
> >> appendices
> >> for a report.
> >>
> >> http://drop.io/WordHelp
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >>
> >> "KMM" wrote:
> >>
> >>> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've 
> >>> triple
> >>> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> >>> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the 
> >>> following
> >>> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone 
> >>> tell
> >>> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from 
> >>> page 3
> >>> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections 
> >>> breaks
> >>> seem to be fine.
> >>>
> >>> THanks!
> >
> > 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/4/2010 1:33:21 PM
Stefan has explained this, I believe.

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:002361AF-5AD8-46D9-8049-F58F33564D58@microsoft.com...
> How do I do it? I see when I right click on the pages numbers, that even
> though it's page 5 in the Word frame, the box that comes up says 
> "Formatted
> Page 1".
>
> How do I get it to paginate continuously? And when I do that, will page 4
> and page 6 disappear?
>
> It sounds like you all may have discovered the cause, but how to I fix it
> and what happened to make it happen?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Yes, that will do it. Word insists on putting 1 on a recto page.
>>
>> -- 
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:644BA89F-AC42-4CB4-9FD1-1CB43AF3732D@microsoft.com...
>> > The "issue" is caused by the page numbers being formatted to start at 1
>> > rather than continue from the previous section.
>> >
>> > -- 
>> > Hope this helps.
>> >
>> > Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> > services on a paid consulting basis.
>> >
>> > Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
>> >
>> > "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:A3CA0E06-2E7C-4CA0-973E-7621B0483D0A@microsoft.com...
>> >> I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
>> >> Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the
>> >> problem
>> >> is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows 
>> >> the
>> >> section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info 
>> >> in
>> >> it
>> >> because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the
>> >> section
>> >> breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are
>> >> appendices
>> >> for a report.
>> >>
>> >> http://drop.io/WordHelp
>> >>
>> >> Thanks.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "KMM" wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
>> >>> triple
>> >>> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
>> >>> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
>> >>> following
>> >>> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can 
>> >>> anyone
>> >>> tell
>> >>> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
>> >>> page 3
>> >>> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
>> >>> breaks
>> >>> seem to be fine.
>> >>>
>> >>> THanks!
>> >
>> >
>>
>> .
>> 

0
Suzanne
6/4/2010 2:13:17 PM
Thank you, thank you!

Sorry, I missed your post earlier and just saw the one below.

It worked like a charm! But, of course, you knew it would!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> For each affected section, look in the Page Number Format dialog box. Make sure 
> that "Continue from previous section" is selected (and not "Start at").
> 
> To display the dialog box: In Word 2007, double-click a header to activate it. 
> Then click Header & Footer Tools tab | Page Number | Format Page Numbers. If you 
> are using Word 97-2003, click the Format Page Number button on the Header and 
> Footer toolbar.
> 
> -- 
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
> (Message posted via news.eternal-september.org)
> 
> 
> 
> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:D0141A48-B9D2-4729-97A1-044C6EDEA7F7@microsoft.com...
> > Okay. But I don't have any page numbers in the document. I only see the ones
> > in the Word "frame" that are showing for any Word document. How would that be
> > formatted? I thought that was just Word keeping track of how many pages are
> > in the doc. How do I get rid of that blank 4th and blank 6th page that I
> > can't get to?
> >
> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> The "issue" is caused by the page numbers being formatted to start at 1
> >> rather than continue from the previous section.
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> >> services on a paid consulting basis.
> >>
> >> Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:A3CA0E06-2E7C-4CA0-973E-7621B0483D0A@microsoft.com...
> >> > I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
> >> > Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the
> >> > problem
> >> > is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the
> >> > section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in it
> >> > because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the
> >> > section
> >> > breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are
> >> > appendices
> >> > for a report.
> >> >
> >> > http://drop.io/WordHelp
> >> >
> >> > Thanks.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > "KMM" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
> >> >> triple
> >> >> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
> >> >> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
> >> >> following
> >> >> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
> >> >> tell
> >> >> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
> >> >> page 3
> >> >> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
> >> >> breaks
> >> >> seem to be fine.
> >> >>
> >> >> THanks!
> >> 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/4/2010 3:04:27 PM
I'm glad I could help!

-- 
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
(Message posted via msnews.microsoft.com)



"KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:EC0789F0-C8C9-478E-8BC8-2FBF63D5634E@microsoft.com...
> Thank you, thank you!
>
> Sorry, I missed your post earlier and just saw the one below.
>
> It worked like a charm! But, of course, you knew it would!
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> For each affected section, look in the Page Number Format dialog box. Make 
>> sure
>> that "Continue from previous section" is selected (and not "Start at").
>>
>> To display the dialog box: In Word 2007, double-click a header to activate 
>> it.
>> Then click Header & Footer Tools tab | Page Number | Format Page Numbers. If 
>> you
>> are using Word 97-2003, click the Format Page Number button on the Header and
>> Footer toolbar.
>>
>> -- 
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>> (Message posted via news.eternal-september.org)
>>
>>
>>
>> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D0141A48-B9D2-4729-97A1-044C6EDEA7F7@microsoft.com...
>> > Okay. But I don't have any page numbers in the document. I only see the 
>> > ones
>> > in the Word "frame" that are showing for any Word document. How would that 
>> > be
>> > formatted? I thought that was just Word keeping track of how many pages are
>> > in the doc. How do I get rid of that blank 4th and blank 6th page that I
>> > can't get to?
>> >
>> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>> >
>> >> The "issue" is caused by the page numbers being formatted to start at 1
>> >> rather than continue from the previous section.
>> >>
>> >> -- 
>> >> Hope this helps.
>> >>
>> >> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> >> services on a paid consulting basis.
>> >>
>> >> Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
>> >>
>> >> "KMM" <KMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:A3CA0E06-2E7C-4CA0-973E-7621B0483D0A@microsoft.com...
>> >> > I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
>> >> > Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the
>> >> > problem
>> >> > is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the
>> >> > section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in 
>> >> > it
>> >> > because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the
>> >> > section
>> >> > breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are
>> >> > appendices
>> >> > for a report.
>> >> >
>> >> > http://drop.io/WordHelp
>> >> >
>> >> > Thanks.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > "KMM" wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> >> I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
>> >> >> triple
>> >> >> checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
>> >> >> parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
>> >> >> following
>> >> >> section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can 
>> >> >> anyone
>> >> >> tell
>> >> >> me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
>> >> >> page 3
>> >> >> to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
>> >> >> breaks
>> >> >> seem to be fine.
>> >> >>
>> >> >> THanks!
>> >>
>>
>>
>> .
>> 


0
Stefan
6/4/2010 5:26:22 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Force Details to New Page
I am splitting a report with headers. I tried putting the fields from the details line in the header and Keep Together. However it only displays the first record. Is there a way to force a new page if all the details won't fit at the end of a page? -- Thanks As Always Rip Rip, Not quite sure I understand because the Details of report always go to the next page if they don't fit on the first page. Perhaps you want the Details and the Header to go to the next page? In that case you would use the Page Header section, with the Details section, which would appear a...

New Date on each new page
I would like to print a page for each day for the upcoming year. 365 pages. I want to print all of them now. On each page I need the date for that day. What should I use for this? Pivot tables?? Thanks! Jim Hi Jim Enter the first day in A1 before you run the macro If it is working correct change PrintPreview to PrintOut This example will not print the sunday's Untested Sub PrintCopies_ActiveSheet() Dim yr As Integer yr = Year(Range("a1").Value) Do While Year(Range("a1").Value) = yr If Application.WorksheetFunction. _ Weekday(Ran...

New page
In some situations you may want to lock the fields on a form unless the user explicitly choose to update the transactions. While you could set the forms Allow Edits property to false this doesn't work for subforms. Other wierdnesses happen but I can't recall exactly what right at the moment. This solution shows how a call to a public subroutine passing a few parameters handles this situation. http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/locking_fields_on_a_form.htm -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messag...

New page on Video Carrdds
I have created a new page on video cards from my forum and from my reviews etc. Lots of helpful information with more to come. Vendor neutral its meant to be helpful without a vendor calling the shots. -- http://contract-developer.dyndns.biz ...

print on a new page
Hi I have a long work book that goes something like this January Date Nr. Balance 01.01.2009 1 100,00 02.01.2009 2 100,00 03.01.2009 3 100,00 February Date Nr. Balance 01.02.2009 1 200,00 02.02.2009 2 200,00 03.02.2009 3 200,00 etc. What I like to do is that whenever I print February starts on a new page. How can I do this? -- Thanks in advance Kherse Sefid Hello Kherse You can insert a page break before the cell Feburary.You can find the it on menu insert. Hope it is useful to u. "kherse sefid" wrote: > Hi > > I have a long work book that goes so...

moving to a new page
Does anyone know if there is a keyboard shortcut to move from one page to another? I have many files that are well over 50 pages and it's really annoying to have to click each page icon on the bottom of the screen. For example, I'm currently working on 56 pages of certificates and I want to quickly scroll through each one to see how they look (and make changes if necessary). I was hoping they'd change the way Publisher handles pages in the new version. Even a stationary "next page" button (similar to MS Access) would be more convenient than having to keep glanci...

adding a new page break to an existing page break
I have a question for the experts in excel. At the company where I am working, a user has setup an excel spreadsheet with page breaks, that separate the data from page to page. That is fine and dandy. The user now wants to add a new page break to begin a new page. The current page breaks run from cell A1 to say cell k25 and continue down, page by page. The last page is page 45 and I need to insert page 46, page 47, etc. as the data in the spreadsheet grows. Can someone please give me the exact instructions as to add a new series of pages or really page breaks to continue the num...

How do I start a new page from a masterpage?
This sounds really simple, but we're putting together a literary magazine, and we've created a masterpage, but how do we get new pages using that masterpage format? Scratch that guys, we figured it out. It was as simple as it sounded. "InTooDeep0604" wrote: > This sounds really simple, but we're putting together a literary magazine, > and we've created a masterpage, but how do we get new pages using that > masterpage format? ...

Forcing group headers on new page
Hi i have some trouble printing reports based on condition. (Access 2003) I have report being printed (2 sided print out). This reportd has a groupheader0 which is grouping by counties. I would like to program it in such a way that 1) I want the group to start in a new page + If the new page comes out face up its fine. But if the new page is face down i would like to force it to then next page. Is there some way i can do this by VBA code. Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance! Hi everyone, I think i figured a soultion myself. Incase someone needs this in future, this is what i came up ...

IE8 doesn't display a window in a new page on www.mygov.mt
When I browse to www.mygov.mt, and follow the logon sequence, I cannot continue browsing within the page. The problem only occurs on my laptop which runs Win SP SP3 / IE8, and, it cannot be replicated on the computers used by the technical support team, which they say runs Win XP. The problem doesn't replicate on Windows Vista either. Popups are set to be allowed; I've cleared SSL State, and, still not sure how to sort out the problem. See the screendumps at http://cid-b712073b3513eb8e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/mygov.mt%20-%20screendumps.docx. Any id...

endnotes on new page
Is there a way to put all the endnotes together on a new page? I've tried inserting a page break in the endnote separator and tried setting the endnote separator to start on a new page, but those methods didn't work. Thanks. -- ~ Janet Insert a page break before the endnote separator. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Janet S" <JanetS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C...

C# Net GridView LinkButton open a new page
Hi, In my C# .Net framework 2.0 web application, I have a GridView which has the LinkButton ItemTemplate. I would like to have the click event for the LinkButton then it will open a new web page( not redirect). I think I'm stucking in the javascript with the asp control, need help! Thanks. Jason ...

Publisher 2003 Catalog Merge
Not sure how to ask this so I'll explain what I want to do: I am making a gradeschool yearbook that includes 14 different classrooms. On each page, there are photos of the students along with their names under their photo. When I do a catalog merge (using an Excel file for my source), I want a new page to start for each different classroom. Is there something I can code in Publisher to cause a page break when a new page should start? What about in the Excel file? I did a yearbook last year and to get it to work, I had to insert blank rows into my Excel spreadsheet to get it to go to th...

BP user cannot see new page
We are creating new pages under the sales dashboard heading for individual salespeople. We are using BP4 on MOSS 2007 with GP10 SP3. We created the page then set the permissions on the page to allow read by the salesperson and a BP group that includes only them for the navigation audience. We then went into the navigation and added the link to the page and set the audience as the BP group containing just the salesperson and the BP administrator. As the admin I can see the page in the navigation and see the page and reports itself. When I am logged in as the salesperson I see the page i...

Getting report footer to not start new page
I have long report footer, about half page. It always starts a new page. I need it to folow imedatly after the last section of the report, no spaces. I am exporting the report to a txt file. I have tried setting keep togheter to no. Any way to stop it from starting a new page. Thanks ...

Group Header & Force New Page Before
Is there a way to force a new page for a group header, but only *after* the first page of the report? -- Thanks tbl -- Thanks, tbl ...

New page after 15 records
Hi All, I have a report that lists payments to be made through the BACS system direct with our bank. When I print the report, I need it to only have a maximum of 15 records on each page with subtotals after each batch of 15 records. How can I achieve this easily?? -- K Hogwood-Thompson It's a bit difficult to do this without understanding your table structure. I would create a column in your report's record source query that returns a grouping value. For instance if you wanted to group the Orders table in Northwind into 15 orders based on the OrderID, your report's records...

force new page
Inventory. Located different places. I have 2 reports. These reports do a tally on the items - no matter of location. Want to combine them & change layout. Currently Landscape style - need portrait. Major change will be that I need to force a new page for every item. Help?! Hi, Before anyone can answer your question, we need far more detail on the structure of your database and how much you know about Access programming. i.e. Is all the data contained within a single table? Do you know how to create a report in Access? Do you know how to build queries or SQL statements? cls wrote: ...

New page set to wrong percentage size
Hi, I usually view my pages at 100%. I wanted to show a separate, additional window at 75% which worked fine. However, every time I open a new window, it resorts to 75%. Is there a way to set the default back to 100% for new windows? Many thanks, Dave On 15 Nov, 07:30, Dave <enquir...@photographybyward.co.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > I usually view my pages at 100%. I wanted to show a separate, > additional window at 75% which worked fine. However, every time I open > a new window, it resorts to 75%. Is there a way to set the default > back to 100% for new win...

Subreport starts on a new page
Hello I have a report/subreport object where the subreport starts on a new page although there is room on the last page of the report ( report prints 3 pages and page 2 is approximately 3/4 empty). The report has a grouping option - if I place the subreport in the group footer it prints at the end of each group - not the desired location as I need it to print at the end of the entire group. I have placed the subreport in the report footer and even created a different group, not really utilizing it as a group but making it the primary group element and placing the subreport in the footer of t...

creating a new page, or gateway...
what i would like to do is be able to create a "gateway" leading to a new page, or new area of the current page when you click on a certain number. is there any way to accomplish this? for example, when i click on a certain cell i'd like it to open up a new page, or bring me down to the bottom of the current page with more information. Hi, You might try a hyperlink. Press Ctrl+K and indicate where you want to go when the cell is clicked. If by "Open a new page" you mean a new worksheet, for that you would need VBA. If you are interested in programming let us ...

New page labels and templates
I am having a few problems in Onenote on a tabletPC w/ windows 7 pro x64: 1) I want to have new pages named on the tabs the same as what i ink in the title box. all of my new pages are just coming up "Untitled" 2)my text recognition doesn't seem to be working...is there a setting and is that why nothing is coming up for my page titles when they are inked? 3)Is there any way to have all sub-pages collapse under the main page so that only the main page is visible until expanded? 4) I have seen PowerToys mentioned around. what are they? 5)Is there any way to ha...

How to roll down a new page
I have a welcome page that show for a instant and then is replaced with the home page. It would be nice if the Home page unrolled on top of the welcome page or slid in from the side like a slide might or the wecome page looked like a page turning. I have no idea how such things are accomplished. Can you give me a place to read up or a sugestion as to what to google? Thank Check out ASP .NET AJAX or Silverlight Develpment. -Scott " Cal Who" <CalWhoQQ@roadrunner.com> wrote in message news:umDEnSHdKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have a we...

How do I force a new page?
I have a report that has a large number of controls for each record. Because the amount of data for each record can vary in quantity the report can have part of a record on one page and the rest on another. How do I force a new page for each record? Thanks Tony Sorry found it in help, Force new page of Details property, Sorry should have looked in help first. Tony "Tony Williams" <tw@invalid.com> wrote in message news:%23KwkRokOIHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have a report that has a large number of controls for each record. >Because the amount of data for e...

When I open a new page, I get background with small boxes?
Recently, when I started opening a new page, in Word, I am getting a bcakground on the page, like a table, with 52 columns across and more down. Very much like graph or grid paper. How can I get rid of this? Depends on the Word version - for Word up to 2003, turn off the grid from the Drawing toolbar > Draw > Grid For Word 2007 - insert or select a shape, then from the drawing tools > format > arrange > align > uncheck 'view gridlines'. In any version, the following macro will toggle the gridline display on/off Sub ToggleGridlines() Options.Display...