Possibly an old HP printer driver bug or maybe this...
That's a symptom of a Word Data Key corruption - usually because Word has
been running when updates are installed.
Run Regedit and expand by double-clicking to the key below. With DATA
selected, press DELETE. Word will automatically recreate a new key when it
Symptoms of Data Key corruption include:
• The mouse does not work when you use Word.
• You cannot open a Word document from the Search window in Windows
• You cannot open a Word document from Windows Desktop Search.
• Word crashes when you try to start or exit Word.
• Word crashes when you open the Open dialog box.
• Word crashes when you save a document.
• Word crashes when you close a document.
If you feel uncomfortable editing the registry yourself, Microsoft have a
fix that will do this for you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791 and press FixIt
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
"kaygee68" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded my computer running Windows XP to one operating
> 7. I had no problem installing Office 2000. It works fine, but Word will
> shut down properly when I close the program. I get a dialogue box from
> Windows saying the program is no longer responding and Windows is
> for a solution. After Windows conducts its search, another dialogue box
> up with a "close program" button. I click that and then it shuts downs.
> help would be appreciated as I do not want to shell out $$$ to update
> 2000 when it otherwise works fine, except for this minor annoyance.