Word in Office 2000 will not shut down properly when using Windows

I recently upgraded my computer running Windows XP to one operating Windows
7. I had no problem installing Office 2000. It works fine, but Word will not
shut down properly when I close the program. I get a dialogue box from
Windows saying the program is no longer responding and Windows is searching
for a solution. After Windows conducts its search, another dialogue box comes
up with a "close program" button. I click that and then it shuts downs. Any
help would be appreciated as I do not want to shell out $$$ to update Office
2000 when it otherwise works fine, except for this minor annoyance.

Possibly an old HP printer driver bug or maybe this...

That's a symptom of a Word Data Key corruption - usually because Word has
been running when updates are installed.

Run Regedit and expand by double-clicking to the key below. With DATA
selected, press DELETE. Word will automatically recreate a new key when it
is restarted.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data

Symptoms of Data Key corruption include:

   •    The mouse does not work when you use Word.
   •    You cannot open a Word document from the Search window in Windows
Vista.
   •    You cannot open a Word document from Windows Desktop Search.
   •    Word crashes when you try to start or exit Word.
   •    Word crashes when you open the Open dialog box.
   •    Word crashes when you save a document.
   •    Word crashes when you close a document.

If you feel uncomfortable editing the registry yourself, Microsoft have a
fix that will do this for you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791 and press FixIt

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kaygee68" <kaygee68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded my computer running Windows XP to one operating
> Windows
> 7. I had no problem installing Office 2000. It works fine, but Word will
> not
> shut down properly when I close the program. I get a dialogue box from
> Windows saying the program is no longer responding and Windows is
> searching
> for a solution. After Windows conducts its search, another dialogue box
> comes
> up with a "close program" button. I click that and then it shuts downs.
> Any
> help would be appreciated as I do not want to shell out $$$ to update
> Office
> 2000 when it otherwise works fine, except for this minor annoyance.

0
Terry