Word file too large to open

I have a document that is 566mb and will not open in Word. Is there a way to
compress it or something else that will open it?

Thanks!

You could try if OpenOffice Writer (http://www.openoffice.org/) could open
it. Sometimes that product is better at opening corrupted or too large
documents than Word is.

If that doesn't work, is your document a docx file (Word 2007 version)? If
so, you could change the extension from docx to zip and go into the archive.
Maybe you can remove some graphics or stuff in the hope the document will
become smaller and then try to open it. It should have some linking errors
for the missing images, but you should be able to open it.

Yves

"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a document that is 566mb and will not open in Word. Is there a way
> compress it or something else that will open it?
>
> Thanks!

0
Yves

GP 10.0 Crashes after Opening Company
We have GP 10.0 installed on a number of computers that are working fine. We also have it installed on a terminal server and it's been working fine for some time. Yesterday it started crashing when you try to open a company. The initial log in screen comes up and you're able to log in, however when you choose a company and hit ok you get a screen advising that its' applying your settings. The screen begins to come up, and then after about 10-15 seconds the application crashes. Checking the event log all I have is an event 1000 for Dexterity with the following: 10.0.263...

How do you create an "html" file? #2
How do you create an "html" file? We need this file to display messages & promotions on the costumer display monitor ...

two problems using Outlook and Word
Does anyone know why it is that when I open an email in Outlook which comes in as an HTML doc, and try to respond to it, the format of the response converts it to plain text format in a hideous courier font? Which cannot be converted into HTML because the option is grayed out? Is this in some way related to the reason why I cannot now respond to emails without getting a warning that something is trying to access Microsoft Word and should I allow it and if so for how long? Whatever option I try, the result is the same, either Word opens as it should, as Word seems to open as this TXT version ...

opening a popup from subform
I have a subform that is continuous. Each record has an ID field. At the end of each record there is a small button that will open a form with fields on it for the user to review. When the button is used and the form opens, I need to pass the ID to the form. I went into sql mgt studio and did the following, which is where the info is coming from for the form that opens. This returns back the correct info. select InventoryLots.ID, InventoryLotsQ.ID AS ID, InventoryLotsQ.LotNumber, InventoryLotsQ.PartNumber, InventoryLotsQ.Revision, InventoryLotsQ.Location, In...

I can't open Office Data File from CDs #2
Dear technical experts, I have been facing a security problem with Microsoft Outlook files. I exported Outlook items into Office outlook files (with the extension is .pst). The exported files were firstly saved on my computer (different path and location in comparison with default path of Office Outlook files in Documents and Settings). I can open my exported files easily. Because the size of outlook items is very large, I would like to save Office outlook files on another storage device in stead of using hard drives of my computer. I made copy these files to a flash drive (USB dri...

don't want OWA attatchments to open in browser
Attatchments i get when i am using Outlook Web Access used to open automatically in Word. now the are opening in a browser, not word. how do i get them back to opening in Word? ...

how to copy text in word then paste to change text in a table
I have a table that i need to replace the text weekly. I was hoping i could copy the text from Word, and then paste into the table every week the new change. I am using Publisher 2007 and have never used any previous versions to learn this trick. It's not a trick, you can actually do it. You may have to reformat the change once in Pub though. "Mel Clingan" <Mel Clingan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16614B31-7114-4DA5-9F27-916DE0102713@microsoft.com... |I have a table that i need to replace the text weekly. I was hoping i could | copy the ...

Where can I find information about word htm styles
I am working with documents created in word and then saved as HTM files. The issue is I am trying to decipher the documentation you see when you do 'view source' on an htm file created in word. I have searched the Microsoft site and cannot find any documentation on styles used such as mso-style-qformat or any of the mso type formatting. If there is a resource on the internet could someone please share the resource. thanks, -- Tucson Good luck with that. Sorry to say, but I think you will have difficulty finding any useful information. "I am working wi...

Word was unable to open the data source
My problem is that my Excel data is not being "mail merged" into Word. I followed the suggestion of prompting the data source before opening and I can choose "MS Excel Worksheet via DDE (*.xls) when prompted. Next I choose th named or cell range which is "Entire Spreadsheet". Then in lowr left task bar it briefly says "Opening file . . . ." but then I am prompted with Word error "Word was unable to open the data source." If I try Office 2007 I use "OLE DB Database Files" when prompted to open data source. Then I select t...

Inserting PDFs into Publisher File
I can't insert PDF's into my publisher newsletter by trying the insert command. I have to copy it and then past and it loses some quality. Anyone know how to get around this insertion problem? Thanks Greg Save the .pdf as another format and then insert it. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "gporell@southshoresenior.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11af01c50a30$d6c8d0c0$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I can't insert PDF's into my publisher newsletter by > trying the insert command. I have to copy it and then > pas...

Publisher 2003- message
I have used Publisher for a 120+ page "news letter" for the past 5 years. Upgraded to 2003 early last year. Have had a problem with fonts changing indescriminately (no sollution as yet). Latest problem - having spent many hours on a new document which includes grafics and text - I received the message - Publisher cannot open the file. HELP PLEASE Surely after 5 years you have a backup or two. It is never a good idea to use the same document over and over without re-saving it with a new name. Maybe you have a copy in a temporary folder Type %temp% in the address bar of Wind...

save array to file, read it back in
Hi, I just have an RGB volume buffer allocated like: unsigned char pBuffer = new unsigned char[256 * 256 * 50 * 3]; and I'd like to dump it straight to a file so I can read it back in exactly as above. Can I do something like this: ofstream o("C:\\test.raw"); o << pBuffer; o.close(); // Later on read it back in... ifstream i("C:\\test.raw"); unsigned char *pLater = new unsigned char[256 * 256 * 50 * 3]; i.read(); i.close(); Thanks I would write it out in ASCI and then convert when reading back. Since you are using MFC...

Excel crashes with linked files
Hi All, I was recently issued a new laptop and now Excel crashes frequently, sometimes upon opening a file, sometimes upon closing a file, and most recently upon changing the font. The most obvious thing that all the files have in common is that they contain links to other worksheets. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this and/or how to fix it? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Erin Erin, have you tried un-installing Excel/Office and re-installing? It sounds like something is wrong with Excel. Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins an...

Is there any way to Create a self-extracted file programmatically ?
Hi,guys!I need to create a self-extracted cabinet file with my app,but i don't know how to achieve this.I found ms cabinet sdk,but it dosen't mention the self-extracted cabinet.And i know IEpress can create a self-extracted cabinet file,but i want to write my app as IExpress. Is there any way i can achieve this ? Thank you advance! There is a cabarc.exe for creating cabinet file along with platform sdk. There is also a cabinet sdk available here:- http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/cab/2.0/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/Cabsdk.exe -- Vipin Aravind Microsoft MVP "how...

Excluding full path to linked file on a networked drive
Hello, I have two excel files -- A and B. Both files are saved on a network drive in the same directory. In file A, I have links to cells in file B. Because the files are in the same directory, is it possible to not have Excel show the entire path to file B in the formulas in file A that link to file B? The network path is quite long and it makes it difficult to read the formulas? If file B is open, the formulas just show the name of the file,i.e. [B]. Is it possible to always have this shown? THanks, How about using a cell reference that contains the file path? -- Jim Cone Portlan...

Passing an Argument back to an open form
I have two forms. Frm_ActMstr and Frm_NewCont. On Frm_ActMstr there are 3 fields that can be populated by frm_NewCnt.Contact_ID. The way it should work is that when a user double clicks on the blank ContactName1, ContactName2, or ContactName3 field in FrmActMstr, Frm_NewCont pops open. They enter the contact information. Then when they close the frm_NewCont, the Frm_NewCont.Contact_ID should populate the appropriate frm_ActMstr.ContactID1, frm_ActMstr.ContactID2, or frm_ActMstr.ContactID3 field and frm_ActMstr should refresh. What I don't understand is how to get the Contact_...

unable to open wlm it keeps shutting down....help
everytime i try open wlm this happens, iv tried to delete n reinstall n it still happens details fm computer manage windows log Log Name: Application Source: Application Error Date: 23/02/2010 1:56:52 PM Event ID: 1000 Task Category: (100) Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: trish-PC Description: Faulting application msnmsgr.exe, version 14.0.8089.726, time stamp 0x4a6ce533, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e037dd, exception code 0xe06d7363, fault offset 0x0003fbae, proces...

Open separate window with Excel 97
Does anybody know if it is possible to open a new, separate, Excel window when working with Excel 97? Or did this support only come in later Excel versions? Nevermind. I have it. Just one of my non-caffeine mornings. Please disregard. Matt C "Matt C" wrote: > Does anybody know if it is possible to open a new, separate, Excel window > when working with Excel 97? Or did this support only come in later Excel > versions? ...

How to create a save-as dialog box as in Words?
Hi, When you save a file in Words, you will see a dialog box that is different from CFileDialog. My question is how to create it? Please help. Thanks. Tony CFileDialog( BOOL bOpenFileDialog, LPCTSTR lpszDefExt = NULL, LPCTSTR lpszFileName = NULL, DWORD dwFlags = OFN_HIDEREADONLY | OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT, LPCTSTR lpszFilter = NULL, CWnd* pParentWnd = NULL, DWORD dwSize = 0 Parameters bOpenFileDialog Set to TRUE to construct a File Open dialog box or FALSE to construct a File Save As dialog box. lpszDefExt The default filename extension. If the user does not i...

Merging Two Files
Hi, I am getting ready to marry up two schedules (around 6000 task lines) and am trying to find a potentially quicker solution than what I have planned (just in case plan A doesn't go so well for me). Two months ago I took a copy of my master file and began to add much needed work into it, however it was not yet authorized work, so I had to continue providing status into the main master file up to this point in time. Now that the work will be authorized in May, I need to take the current master file, and make sure all of the "what-if" modifications from the se...

Shared File & Freeze panes issue
We are using a Shared file, but the Freeze panes at times "resets" so that it appears the screen is frozed unitl you reset freeze panes. This is not due to user changesm but occurs in the original file that was emailed. Is ther any way to prevent this? There's a guy at work who sometimes applies Window|Freeze panes to a filtered list. While the list is filtered the way he has it, you can see the titles and the data nicely. But when you do Data|filter|show all (or reset the filter), the cell used to set the freeze panes is now off the viewable screen and it looks like t...

Corrupted files
My laptop computer recently had a mother board that fried and had to get a new one. Before taking the computer in for repair, I had all of my documents backed up on DVDs. When I reinstalled Office 2007, I receive error messages on some documents saying that the file is corrupted. Is there any way to recover the data on this corrupted file? I have tried to open the files by using plain text but all I get is scrambled letters and numbers and signs. Try opening them with WordPad or Open Office. But to see how badly corrupt they are (presuming they are docx format), rename them with...

Unable to read File #4
I have one particular file in Excel 97 which I open and update daily (stock market stuff) and each day I copy the days entries and paste it below for the next day. Been doing this for years with no hitch until a couple of months ago then one day I tried to open the file and got a notice "Unable to Read File". Tried everything I knew (which is not much) with no luck. Fortunately I had the file saved to a flash drive and was able to open it there and "Save As" back to by hard drive. It worked fine for a while, then last week it happened again, but I didn't bother to ret...

Convert file/backup Money 2000 on Money 2004
I have Money 2000 and I have buy Money 2004; but I can't convert my old file or backup created with Money 2000 on Money 2004. Why? We need some more information. What error messages do you see? What happens that you don't expect? What doesn't happen? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Stefano" <sborghi@deda.com> wrote in message news:02ca01c39f92$f68d8fe0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have Money 2000 and I have buy Money 2004...

Large mailstore move fails
Hi, I have an Exchange 2003 Cluster which has 4 mailstore's. I have moved 2 of the 4 stores by selecting the following in Exchange Manager on the server - >Mailstore - Right click > Properties > Database tab and selecting a new >location for both Exchange Database and Streaming Databases. The stores were moved and remounted without issue. These stores are very small <2Gb. I then tried to move the 3rd of the 4 stores (this is 110Gb) After 9 hours the Exchange system manager crashed and the store had not been moved, the store is in its original location a...