Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error

Hi there,

One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error
message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document.

1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save
button.
2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a
"Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the
document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where
the file already exists.
3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it
will overwrite and save properly. But on other save occurrences it will
randomly show the error message "Word cannot complete the save due to a file
permission error".
4. User will continue to attempt to save until it works.

The user is running Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise, Office 2007 Professional
Plus, and Trend Micro Worry Free Business 6.0 all with the latest updates and
patches.

The file in question is stored locally on the users c: hard drive in a sub
folder within his My Documents; it is not stored on a removable media device.

The file does not have the 'read only' attribute selected, and the user is
the owner of the document will full control permissions.

It occurs with multiple Word documents and there seems to be no pattern.

I am experiencing the exact same error, not just with word but powerpoint and
excel too. I havent been able to find any solutions as yet, but will update
this post if I do.

"WayDS" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error
> message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document.
>
> 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save
> button.
> 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a
> "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the
> document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where
> the file already exists.
> 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it
> will overwrite and save properly. But on other save occurrences it will
> randomly show the error message "Word cannot complete the save due to a file
> permission error".
> 4. User will continue to attempt to save until it works.
>
> The user is running Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise, Office 2007 Professional
> Plus, and Trend Micro Worry Free Business 6.0 all with the latest updates and
> patches.
>
> The file in question is stored locally on the users c: hard drive in a sub
> folder within his My Documents; it is not stored on a removable media device.
>
> The file does not have the 'read only' attribute selected, and the user is
> the owner of the document will full control permissions.
>
> It occurs with multiple Word documents and there seems to be no pattern.
Try uninstalling Windows Search. This problem occured in many scenerios for
me. Windows 7 64 bit / Office 2010 Beta and Windows 7 32 bit Office 2007. In
all instances the problem has gone away.

"Mike" wrote:

> I am experiencing the exact same error, not just with word but powerpoint and
> excel too. I havent been able to find any solutions as yet, but will update
> this post if I do.
>
> "WayDS" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error
> > message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document.
> >
> > 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save
> > button.
> > 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a
> > "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the
> > document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where
> > the file already exists.
> > 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it
> > will overwrite and save properly. But on other save occurrences it will
> > randomly show the error message "Word cannot complete the save due to a file
> > permission error".
> > 4. User will continue to attempt to save until it works.
> >
> > The user is running Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise, Office 2007 Professional
> > Plus, and Trend Micro Worry Free Business 6.0 all with the latest updates and
> > patches.
> >
> > The file in question is stored locally on the users c: hard drive in a sub
> > folder within his My Documents; it is not stored on a removable media device.
> >
> > The file does not have the 'read only' attribute selected, and the user is
> > the owner of the document will full control permissions.
> >
> > It occurs with multiple Word documents and there seems to be no pattern.
Same issue here.

I figured out that if I shut down Trend Micro Internet Security, the problem goes away. I then tried reactivating Trend Micro and instead adding winword.exe to the exceptions list but that didn't work.

I'm still at a loss with figuring out which part of Trend Micro I need to *safely* shut down.

Also, I'm willing to shut down Windows Search. Can someone tell me how I might do that?
0
freshflame
4/3/2010 7:25:16 AM
I don't really see that Windows Search has anything to do with the problem.
My advice is to dump Trend and install the free Microsoft Security
Essentials.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"freshflame" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> Same issue here.
>
> I figured out that if I shut down Trend Micro Internet Security, the
> problem goes away. I then tried reactivating Trend Micro and instead
> adding winword.exe to the exceptions list but that didn't work.
>
> I'm still at a loss with figuring out which part of Trend Micro I need to
> *safely* shut down.
>
> Also, I'm willing to shut down Windows Search. Can someone tell me how I
> might do that?
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Word-cannot-complete-the-save-due-to-a-file-permission

0
Terry
4/3/2010 11:24:08 AM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and frequently run into the same problem.
 (Windows 7 32bit all updates applied)

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> I don't really see that Windows Search has anything to do with the problem.
> My advice is to dump Trend and install the free Microsoft Security
> Essentials.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "freshflame" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> > Same issue here.
> >
> > I figured out that if I shut down Trend Micro Internet Security, the
> > problem goes away. I then tried reactivating Trend Micro and instead
> > adding winword.exe to the exceptions list but that didn't work.
> >
> > I'm still at a loss with figuring out which part of Trend Micro I need to
> > *safely* shut down.
> >
> > Also, I'm willing to shut down Windows Search. Can someone tell me how I
> > might do that?
> >
> > ---
> > frmsrcurl:
> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Word-cannot-complete-the-save-due-to-a-file-permission
>
> .

MS Money 95 data files

XCH Error 3092, OAB replication

Linker Error after upgrade from VC7.1

Where is the workspace file stored?

cant start outlook pst file to large

Grammar check not working

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...

error 0x800cc0f

opening .bak file

saving and distributing a customized desktop
If there a way to customize one desktop and then copy the file to the other workstations so that they are set up the same way? I get calls all day from our users asking that I customizes their outlook to include some of the modifications I've made to my desk. We have Exchange Server and Outlook 2003 SP2. "Herb Segal" <herb@endlar.com> wrote in message news:Olsb5oBpKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > If there a way to customize one desktop and then copy the file to the other > workstations so that they are set up the same way? > > I get c...

Trying to read XML file into dataset

error on upgrade: ID 4386

DNS Error on Exchange

Installation Error Message
I am attemting to install CRM4 or W2003 server running SQL 2008. I get the following message: Setup requires SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 Hotfix for role creation on SQL Reporting Service SP2 Workgroup edition at the specified Reporting Services Report Server http://XXXXX/reportserver. It is asking for SQL2005 hotfix yet I am running SQl2008. Any suggestions? ...

Error After Customizing 'Accounts' Form
Hello. Earlier today, I created an onSave event along with some other customizations for a tab in the 'Accounts' form. After becoming comfortable with my changes, I published the form and tested with a small Account that we do not access much. One of my fields was planned to be read-only, but I had it writable for a test. When I typed a value into the field and saved, I received an error and I can no longer open the specific account. I found the problem with the custom field and fixed it. However, I am still unable to open that one account. Here is the error I received: ...

Displaying colour codes in Word 2007
I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest. There seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of people MAD. When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've never seen a computer. If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is far from obv...