winword.exe process remains after word is closed (error on turn of

I am using Word 2007 on XP and when I exit from Word the winword.exe process
remains open. I don't have any other office application open. The winword.exe
process does not use any CPU but is about 50000k.

When I attempt to turn off the computer I am told that the winWord
application has not terminated.

How can I fix this error?

Any assistance VERY GRATEFULLY received.

Peter Evans
-1

------=_NextPart_000_0091_01CB049D.F1E340D0

Earlier version of Word remained a running process of Word if Outlook =
was used as the email editor. But this stopped with Word 2007. Try =
opening Word in Safe Mode and then closing it.

From Start | Run, type in

winword /a

and press Enter. Word has now started in Safe mode to a blank document. =
Close Word and check in Task Manager to see if winword.exe process has =
closed.

--=20
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

  "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  I am using Word 2007 on XP and when I exit from Word the winword.exe =
process=20
  remains open. I don't have any other office application open. The =
winword.exe=20
  process does not use any CPU but is about 50000k.

  When I attempt to turn off the computer I am told that the winWord=20
  application has not terminated.

  How can I fix this error?

  Any assistance VERY GRATEFULLY received.

  Peter Evans

------=_NextPart_000_0091_01CB049D.F1E340D0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Dutf-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI">Earlier version of Word =
remained a=20
running process of Word&nbsp;if Outlook was used as the email editor. =
But this=20
stopped with Word 2007. Try opening Word in Safe Mode and then closing=20
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI">From Start | Run, type =
in</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI">winword /a</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI">and press Enter. Word has =
now started=20
in Safe mode to a blank document. Close Word and check in Task Manager =
to see if=20
winword.exe process&nbsp;has closed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI"><BR>-- <BR>Terry Farrell - =
MSWord=20
MVP</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dright><FONT face=3D"Segoe UI"><FONT=20
color=3D#000080>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000080 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
  <DIV>"Peter" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:Peter@discussions.microsoft.com&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Peter@discussions.microsoft.com">Peter@discussions.microso=
ft.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
title=3D"news:29394083-8C5C-4E9B-A41A-CFEAD79DC44C@microsoft.com&#10;CTRL=
 + Click to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:29394083-8C5C-4E9B-A41A-CFEAD79DC44C@microsoft.com">news:293=
94083-8C5C-4E9B-A41A-CFEAD79DC44C@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV>I am using Word 2007 on XP and when I exit from Word the =
winword.exe=20
  process <BR>remains open. I don't have any other office application =
open. The=20
  winword.exe <BR>process does not use any CPU but is about =
50000k.<BR><BR>When=20
  I attempt to turn off the computer I am told that the winWord =
<BR>application=20
  has not terminated.<BR><BR>How can I fix this error?<BR><BR>Any =
assistance=20
  VERY GRATEFULLY received.<BR><BR>Peter Evans</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0091_01CB049D.F1E340D0--

0
Terry
6/5/2010 9:57:52 AM
Terry,

Thanks for your rapid reply.

If I start Word in Safe mode I see the winword.exe process and as soon as I
exit is dissappears (this is GOOD)

I did this a couple of times then opened it normally and when I quit the
winword.exe process is still there.

I have no templates in the STARTUP folder and I have no loaded User
Templates.  There is an addin from ENDNOTE but I have been usign that for a
long time.

I have also deleted my normal.dotm and allowed it to be recreated ... but
still I end up with a WINWORD.EXE process that does not end every time I
start Word!

Does anyone have any more suggestions I could try.

Peter Evans

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> Earlier version of Word remained a running process of Word if Outlook was used as the email editor. But this stopped with Word 2007. Try opening Word in Safe Mode and then closing it.
>
> From Start | Run, type in
>
> winword /a
>
> and press Enter. Word has now started in Safe mode to a blank document. Close Word and check in Task Manager to see if winword.exe process has closed.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
>   "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29394083-8C5C-4E9B-A41A-CFEAD79DC44C@microsoft.com...
>   I am using Word 2007 on XP and when I exit from Word the winword.exe process
>   remains open. I don't have any other office application open. The winword.exe
>   process does not use any CPU but is about 50000k.
>
>   When I attempt to turn off the computer I am told that the winWord
>   application has not terminated.
>
>   How can I fix this error?
>
>   Any assistance VERY GRATEFULLY received.
>
>   Peter Evans

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CB04BE.C54E2000

Well definitely an add-in is causing this. I'd have to suspect End Note =
if it is the only add-in that you have. But check for any COM add-ins =
too.

Terry
  Terry,

  Thanks for your rapid reply.

  If I start Word in Safe mode I see the winword.exe process and as soon =
as I=20
  exit is dissappears (this is GOOD)

  I did this a couple of times then opened it normally and when I quit =
the=20
  winword.exe process is still there.

  I have no templates in the STARTUP folder and I have no loaded User=20
  Templates.  There is an addin from ENDNOTE but I have been usign that =
for a=20
  long time.

  I have also deleted my normal.dotm and allowed it to be recreated ... =
but=20
  still I end up with a WINWORD.EXE process that does not end every time =
I=20

  "Terry Farrell" wrote:

  > Earlier version of Word remained a running process of Word if =
Outlook was used as the email editor. But this stopped with Word 2007. =
Try opening Word in Safe Mode and then closing it.
  >=20
  > From Start | Run, type in
  >=20
  > winword /a
  >=20
  > and press Enter. Word has now started in Safe mode to a blank =
document. Close Word and check in Task Manager to see if winword.exe =
process has closed.
  >=20
  > --=20
  > Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
  >=20
  >   "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  >   I am using Word 2007 on XP and when I exit from Word the =
winword.exe process=20
  >   remains open. I don't have any other office application open. The =
winword.exe=20
  >   process does not use any CPU but is about 50000k.
  >=20
  >   When I attempt to turn off the computer I am told that the winWord =

  >   application has not terminated.
  >=20
  >   How can I fix this error?
  >=20
  >   Any assistance VERY GRATEFULLY received.
  >=20
  >   Peter Evans
  >=20

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CB04BE.C54E2000

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Dutf-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI">Well definitely an add-in =
is causing=20
this. I'd have to suspect End Note if it is the only add-in that you =
have. But=20
check for any COM add-ins too.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI">Terry</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000080 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
  <DIV>"Peter" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Peter@discussions.microsoft.com">Peter@discussions.microso=
ft.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
title=3D"news:AE22F735-F7B2-4933-A0FA-7A01961E46EF@microsoft.com&#10;CTRL=
 + Click to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:AE22F735-F7B2-4933-A0FA-7A01961E46EF@microsoft.com">news:AE2=
2F735-F7B2-4933-A0FA-7A01961E46EF@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>Terry,<BR><BR=
>Thanks=20
  for your rapid reply.<BR><BR>If I start Word in Safe mode I see the=20
  winword.exe process and as soon as I <BR>exit is dissappears (this is=20
  GOOD)<BR><BR>I did this a couple of times then opened it normally and =
when I=20
  quit the <BR>winword.exe process is still there.<BR><BR>I have no =
templates in=20
  the STARTUP folder and I have no loaded User <BR>Templates.&nbsp; =
There is an=20
  addin from ENDNOTE but I have been usign that for a <BR>long =
time.<BR><BR>I=20
  have also deleted my normal.dotm and allowed it to be recreated ... =
but=20
  <BR>still I end up with a WINWORD.EXE process that does not end every =
time I=20
  <BR>start Word!<BR><BR>Does anyone have any more suggestions I could=20
  try.<BR><BR>Peter Evans<BR><BR><BR><BR>"Terry Farrell" =
wrote:<BR><BR>&gt;=20
  Earlier version of Word remained a running process of Word if Outlook =
was used=20
  as the email editor. But this stopped with Word 2007. Try opening Word =
in Safe=20
  Mode and then closing it.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; From Start | Run, type =
in<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt; winword /a<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; and press Enter. Word has now =
started in=20
  Safe mode to a blank document. Close Word and check in Task Manager to =
see if=20
  winword.exe process has closed.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; Terry =
Farrell -=20
  MSWord MVP<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Peter" &lt;<A=20
  =
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
title=3D"news:29394083-8C5C-4E9B-A41A-CFEAD79DC44C@microsoft.com&#10;CTRL=
 + Click to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:29394083-8C5C-4E9B-A41A-CFEAD79DC44C@microsoft.com">news:293=
94083-8C5C-4E9B-A41A-CFEAD79DC44C@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
  I am using Word 2007 on XP and when I exit from Word the winword.exe =
process=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; remains open. I don't have any other office =
application=20
  open. The winword.exe <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; process does not use any =
CPU but is=20
  about 50000k.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; When I attempt to turn off =
the=20
  computer I am told that the winWord <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; application =
has not=20
  terminated.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I fix this =
error?<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Any assistance VERY GRATEFULLY received.<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Peter Evans<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CB04BE.C54E2000--

1
Terry

Import auto correct to Word 2007
I am a lousy typist. I am switching from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Is there a simple way a non tech guy like me can export my auto correct setting to Word 2007 without risking screwing up everything? The simpler the solution, the more grateful I will be! Thanks. Hello, On 2010.01.21 17:38, in article 9F0A4A5F-9136-4F3C-8079-520E1A1D93E5@microsoft.com, "ShivN" <ShivN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am a lousy typist. I am switching from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Is there a > simple way a non tech guy like me can export my auto correct setting to Word...

Inserting the Window username into MS Word file
Currently I have a document that hase a line as follows; Printed by username, on date, at time. Where the username, date, and time are fields inserted by way of Words menu Insert > Field. For the username, I would like to the Windows Login Username rather than the username from Word. Can you provide an example of VBA code I can use? The document currently has the following Sub FileOpen() ' Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen).Show Selection.Fields.Update End Sub We are using both Word 2003 and 2007. Change the user field to a docvariable field and populate it wit...

How can I produce conference badge inserts in Word or Publisher?
I assume this is something like making labels. I want to print a graphic and participants name on a badge insert - usual conference badge size - about same as a business card Avery sells badge kits so I'd be willing to bet that there is a template available for them. (I don't know the Avery number off-hand - I just happened to have seen them on Saturday.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Barry" <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EBB0D90-DC25-4199-B0CC-CD0739782E...

outlook error message #41
I have installed office 2003 and when I try to get to my address book I get the following message "can't contact LDAP directory server(81)". How do I repair this ...

Some Error that I can't figure out.
Ok I am typing in a bunch of UPC numbers for my data sheet, It will be a couple hundred numbers. The UPC numbers are as follows 012569528628 027616149237 025192051029 012235111536 012569528734 012569508422 12569508439 86162180934 043396039490 043396603820 012569509023 012569509030 12569512429 12569512436 For some odd reason all the numbers without a zero are wrong. All of these numbers need 1 number 0 in front of them. As for the other numbers I get a little green arrow in the upper left corner of the cell. It tells me Something about "Number stored as text" (This is the one...

linker error because of unresolved external symbol
Hi there, I have a linker error I cannot get rid of. Here it is: nafxcw.lib(appcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___argv nafxcw.lib(appcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___argc nafxcw.lib(filelist.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __mbctype nafxcw.lib(apphelp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __mbctype nafxcw.lib(timecore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __mbctype I have been searching the newsgroups and haven't found a solution for me. Usually , one get this error when mixing up run-time libs. But I...

[SOFT TOOL EXE DLL ISO C PHP NIX WIN CISCO] search & download === www.GEGEREKA.com
Project of the year: Incredible unique search machine like nothing on earth. any kind of useful data: WIN,NIX,CISCO,MAC,DLL,PHP,EXE,ISO, ...and much more Millions files for everyone. Also music, movies and other media. http://www.GEGEREKA.com : THE LORD OF DOWNLOADS. ...

Word Newsgroup
I have gotten so much help from the folks in this newsgroup. I am trying (once again) to convert from WordPerfect to Word. Cannot find an equivalent newsgroup for Word. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THANK YOU! In news:%233LEfchhEHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl, Judy <homehunterjb@netscape.com> posted: || I have gotten so much help from the folks in this newsgroup. I am || trying (once again) to convert from WordPerfect to Word. Cannot find || an equivalent newsgroup for Word. Can anyone point me in the right || direction? Just curious as to what problem you are experienc...

Need help change a particular word in an XML doc
Hello, I have an XML doc and I am trying to write a utility thath will allow me to change a particular word with my "title" section of theXML doc. I would like to look for a "word" in the title and then change only that "word" to something else. Below in XML file I would want to change "Issue" to "Concern". This is one snip of the XML file there may be many more instances of the word "Issue" that I would want to change. I know how to walk through the file and find the whole instance of a string, ie Add/Raise Issue and then repla...

Word 2003
When I open word, I get a line of something in Chinese or Oriental..I close the line and get one more. When I close the second line, it takes me to word. What could this be?? With word closed try searching, to include hidden for normal.dot and deleting all found files "tobeetwo" <tobeetwo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F43750AC-A691-4D13-BB8E-3DD1E2A6D704@microsoft.com... > When I open word, I get a line of something in Chinese or Oriental..I > close > the line and get one more. When I close the second line, it takes me to > wo...

Run-time error 3077
Hello Everybody, In Access 2003, I am using VBA to find a string in a table. Every time I try to execute following line: anRST.FindFirst "John Smith" I get "Run-time error '3077':" which says: Syntax error (missing operator) in expression. Same is true for FindNext, FindLast and FindPrevious. anRST was defined using following code: Set anRST = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Test", dbOpenDynaset) Where "Test" is the name of the table. Any ideas what I am missing? Thank you, -- Syed Zeeshan Haider -----------------------------------------...

Outlook 2000
When I attempt to open OUTLOOK from the desk top icon, I receive an error message stating: "outlook.exe has generated errors. Does anyone have a correction for this problem or solution. PS - I also receive this error when I attempt to open outlook from: "start/programs. Thanks Can you get any more details about the error? "Breck" <Npba900@aol.com> wrote in message news:022e01c3674a$b2fc35e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When I attempt to open OUTLOOK from the desk top icon, I > receive an error message stating: > > "outlook.exe has generated errors. ...

Want Table cells in Word to format like in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Older version (Leopard 9.1) <br> I am trying to do up an invoice in Word and am using tables within it. I want to be able to utilise the Cells for various formats/categories, such as, time, numbers with varying decimal places and accounting ($0.00), like in Excel. Is there a way to do this as I am currently stumped? <br> I don't really want to use Excel for invoicing as most of our invoices are emailed and I don't want the whole 'worksheet' viewable. Unless of course there is a way to make an Excel Spreadsheet to ONLY be one pag...

Error sending CRM Email through VPN Connection
Hello! We have remote users that work with CRM on-line through VPN Connection. Sales for Outlook though VPN works in general, but when someone tries to send CRM email from the Outlook and presses the Send button, he gets an "unknown error". Could you advise us? Thank you, Elena ...

can a column for 2 different words and display a number based on how many are found
This should be a very easy thing to do, but I can�t figure it out. Please Help. Thanks! I am trying to scan a column for 2 different words and display a numbe based on how many are found. Example: If the words �Completed� and �N/A� are found within a column as liste below. I want to create a formula that will display the number 5 because those words are found 5 times within that column. Completed Completed Completed N/A Complete -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: =COUNTIF(A:A,"Completed")+COUNTIF(A:A,"N/A") for column A Regards Trevor ...

Diagonal error lines in a scatter?
I have a scatter with 2 series. Series 1 plots "Original GM%" vs "Original Sales". Series 2 plots "New GM%" vs "Sales At New Price". The two series have the same number of points; in each series, a point represents a customer. So every company has two points on the chart, one in series 1 and one in series 2. Is there anyway to automatically connect corresponding points in the two series? I know I can use error bars if only the GM changes or only the sales changes (that is, if a company's point in series 2 is vertically or horizontally aligned wi...

Run-time error '424'
Can anyone advise why I am getting a run-time error with this line (and what I need to do to get it working?): Me.Parent!Form.Bookmark = rst.Bookmark 'reposition the form Here is the code I am trying to run: Sub Form_Click() Dim rs As DAO.Recordset If Me.Parent.Dirty Then Me.Parent.Dirty = False End If 'Search in the clone set. Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone rs.FindFirst "[RecID] = '" & Me.RecID & "'" If Not rs.NoMatch Then Me.P...

remove paddings in cells when pasting from excel to word?
Hi, Whe pasting formatted cells from Excel to Word, space paddings fill in most of the cell. This makes the celles extra long in Word, and I have to do a replace all to delete the spaces in order to resize my tables. This weasn't happening until I switched to Office 2003. How can I set up Excel/Word so that there is no padding in formatted cells? Thanks! ...

Rules and Alerts gives me Out of memory or system resources error
Outlook 2003 Every time I go to "Tools" / "Rules and Alerts" I get the following error: Microsoft Office Outlook: Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again. Everything else is working perfectly fine, it's just this one function. thanks I am getting the same error from any PC that has Outlook 2003 installed! This is really annoying. Anyone with similar problem? gougler wrote: > Outlook 2003 > Every time I go to "Tools" / "Rules and Alerts" I get the following > error: > > Microsoft Office Out...

catching system errors / exceptions (and knowing what)
I know this will probably get to nowhere, but is there a way to do this ? I mean, with C++ catch-throw, not with Win32 SEH. The reason I don't want to use it is that I rely heavily on STL objects, which throw standard C++ exceptions, and I hear it's not a good idea to mix this with SEH. They can of course be caught with catch (...) but is there a way of knowing inside it that the exception was raised by a system problem (such as null-pointer access, divide by 0 etc.) and which one it was ? If not, maybe they throw some specific exception type ? I tried to catch a DWORD but it didn'...

Link to Word Documents based on Styles?
Hi Is it possible to take the contents of a word document, say all 'heading' styles and paste them into another document, preferably Excel I am writing UML UCRs and want an Excel spreadsheet that records all of the Word Documents and all parts with a set style (in this case Heading 1 and Heading2). This needs to be realtime and based on the style rather than the text, as I don't want to have to remember to add the link in the spreadsheet when I add a new Heading1 style to the word document Is this possible, or am i asking too much Cheers. ...

How to convert random values in a receipting system in words
I want to be able to give the expression of receipting random amounts paid by customers into words. My problem is that if I have to declare a variable to each numerical value it looks cumbersome. Is there an object or some other means of achieving my goal? "How to convert random values into words" <How to convert random values into words@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1D907400-CB14-4793-8BF6-EBA4BACDD12F@microsoft.com... >I want to be able to give the expression of receipting random amounts paid >by > customers into words. My proble...

URGENT: Issue with Closed Activities
All, I hope you can help, especially you MVPs. You guys have been an incredible help to me thusfar. In our implementation, which is CRM Pro Suite 1.2, I am having an issue with closed tasks. When a user creates a CRM task it shows up both in the activity list and in the task list in Outlook, as it should, but when they go into CRM and close the task, it remains open in their Outlook task list. Another issue, but one that I know is related to this, is that when a reminder comes up about the task and they click snooze, it doesn't update the task information. Any help. I bet this is someth...

SFO Error when Closing and Activity
I get an "Invalid window handle" error when I try to close an activity through the SFO client. Code: 0x80040102 It happens in both online and offline modes of SFO. web client works just fine though. Any help? Josh ...

Compile error in hidden module: NT Reg Code
When accessing Excel, a user is getting an error "Compile error in hidden module: NT Reg Code" with the option of 'OK' and 'Help' then followed by a Macro error, "Macro error at cell: [AUTOSAVE.XLA]AutoSave!B202 Any help pr suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Nicky Go to tools>add-ins and uncheck everything you find here, close excel and re-open and see if the issue goes away. Now add back one at a time, re-starting Excel each time and when it comes back, that's the one. I suspect this is XL2000 and it is the autosave add-in that is faulti...