Problem Opening Word document 12-13-09

I have spent many hours over two days on a Word document.  Now when I try to
open it, I get an error message telling me that Word cannot open it.  It
claims it cannot open it “because of problems with the contents”.  Under
details, it tells me it is an “unspecified error” and gives me a line and
column number.
I have tried searching under help but get nothing useful.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:39:02 -0800, Derek
<Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have spent many hours over two days on a Word document.  Now when I try to
>open it, I get an error message telling me that Word cannot open it.  It
>claims it cannot open it �because of problems with the contents�.  Under
>details, it tells me it is an �unspecified error� and gives me a line and
>column number.
>I have tried searching under help but get nothing useful.
>Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

In the Open dialog, select the document. Then click the down arrow
next to the Open button and choose Open and Repair from the dropdown.

If that doesn't help, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have spent many hours over two days on a Word document.  Now when I try
> open it, I get an error message telling me that Word cannot open it.  It
> claims it cannot open it “because of problems with the contents”.  Under
> details, it tells me it is an “unspecified error” and gives me a line and
> column number.
> I have tried searching under help but get nothing useful.
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

0
Terry
12/14/2009 9:43:19 AM
The error shows up when trying to open documents just created and saved on
HDD, we don't use removable media normally.

Further, the fixes specified in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.
seem to only apply to documents that are opened or openable.  None of our
documents can be opened.  The error line states the problem exists on line 2,
column 17445 for ALL documents having a problem.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> If you are working to removable media, copy the file to your HDD and always
> work from your local HDD.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have spent many hours over two days on a Word document.  Now when I try
> > open it, I get an error message telling me that Word cannot open it.  It
> > claims it cannot open it “because of problems with the contents”.  Under
> > details, it tells me it is an “unspecified error” and gives me a line and
> > column number.
> > I have tried searching under help but get nothing useful.
> > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
> >
> .

The fact that you have an identical error on several documents suggests that
it must be something in common - company logo in Header or Footer of
something along those lines.

DOCX files are actually several files zipped up. If you rename the file.docx
to file.zip, you can then open them with WinZip (or other unzipper) and see
the individual files. You can then open the xml file directly, go to line 2
column 17445 and fix the problem. Sadly, I know  nothing about xml structure
so am not able to help identify the problem. Microsoft support should be
able to assist though.

Terry

"Main Township Police Department" <Main Township Police
Department@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The error shows up when trying to open documents just created and saved on
> HDD, we don't use removable media normally.
>
> Further, the fixes specified in
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.
> seem to only apply to documents that are opened or openable.  None of our
> documents can be opened.  The error line states the problem exists on line
> 2,
> column 17445 for ALL documents having a problem.
>
> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>
>> If you are working to removable media, copy the file to your HDD and
>> always
>> work from your local HDD.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>>
>> "Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have spent many hours over two days on a Word document.  Now when I
>> > try
>> > open it, I get an error message telling me that Word cannot open it.
>> > It
>> > claims it cannot open it “because of problems with the contents”.
>> > Under
>> > details, it tells me it is an “unspecified error” and gives me a line
>> > and
>> > column number.
>> > I have tried searching under help but get nothing useful.
>> > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
>> >
>> .

0
Terry
12/15/2009 7:39:28 PM
"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> In the Open dialog, select the document. Then click the down arrow
> next to the Open button and choose Open and Repair from the dropdown.
>
> If that doesn't help, see
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> .
Thanks but open and repair does not work.  I can open the document if I
first convert it into any of the formats on this website:
http://apps.phplivedocx.org/convert/docx-to-pdf.  E.g. I can convert it to
rtf. Doc, pdf and then open it. I can also open it with Open Office  I can
even convert it back into Word 2007 an open it.  However, I had about 40 or
50 equations in the original document.  A few I had copied and pasted from
earlier Word 2003 documents are OK.  However, everyone I created with the
equation editor in Word 2007 is lost (or in the case of Open Office messed
up) when I convert.
If no one only has any ideas of how I get this document to open directly in
Word 2007, does anyone know of a format I can convert it to that would keep
the equations created with the equation editor in Word 2007.

Derek wrote:
> "Jay Freedman" wrote:
>

>> In the Open dialog, select the document. Then click the down arrow
>> next to the Open button and choose Open and Repair from the dropdown.
>>
>> If that doesn't help, see
>> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>> newsgroup so all may benefit. .
> Thanks but open and repair does not work.  I can open the document if
> I first convert it into any of the formats on this website:
> http://apps.phplivedocx.org/convert/docx-to-pdf.  E.g. I can convert
> it to rtf. Doc, pdf and then open it. I can also open it with Open
> Office  I can even convert it back into Word 2007 an open it.
> However, I had about 40 or 50 equations in the original document.  A
> few I had copied and pasted from earlier Word 2003 documents are OK.
> However, everyone I created with the equation editor in Word 2007 is
> lost (or in the case of Open Office messed up) when I convert.
> If no one only has any ideas of how I get this document to open
> directly in Word 2007, does anyone know of a format I can convert it
> to that would keep the equations created with the equation editor in
> Word 2007.

Part of the problem may be that there are two different equation editors in
Word 2007. The older one, Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0, has to be
specifically installed (it's in the Office 2007 installer but not selected
by default) and invoked through the Insert > Object button. This is the only
equation editor available in Word 2003.

The new one, which is available only in Word 2007 (and now 2010 beta) and
has no special name, is invoked through the Insert > Equation button or the
Alt+= shortcut.

Which editor was used in Word 2007 to create the equations?

When you save a document containing equations of the new kind, they're
converted to pictures for Word 2003, even if you have the Compatibility
Pack. However, the document should still be able to open in Word 2007, and
(after using Office button > Convert if necessary) the new-style equations
should be editable again. I suppose it's possible for the conversion to
damage the equation data in the file, but I've never seen that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

0
Jay
12/16/2009 10:25:46 PM

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> Part of the problem may be that there are two different equation editors in
> Word 2007. The older one, Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0, has to be
> specifically installed (it's in the Office 2007 installer but not selected
> by default) and invoked through the Insert > Object button. This is the only
> equation editor available in Word 2003.
>
> The new one, which is available only in Word 2007 (and now 2010 beta) and
> has no special name, is invoked through the Insert > Equation button or the
> Alt+= shortcut.
>
> Which editor was used in Word 2007 to create the equations?
>
> When you save a document containing equations of the new kind, they're
> converted to pictures for Word 2003, even if you have the Compatibility
> Pack. However, the document should still be able to open in Word 2007, and
> (after using Office button > Convert if necessary) the new-style equations
> should be editable again. I suppose it's possible for the conversion to
> damage the equation data in the file, but I've never seen that.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
> all may benefit.

Until this document I never knew there was a new equation editor.  I only
got Word 2007 a couple of months ago and when I was using equations, I was
generally editing equations either  in old Word 2003 documents or copied and
pasted from old Word 2003 documents.  When I edited them in Word it seemed to
use the older equation editor (I assume it got “selected” the first time I
used it).  However, early on in this document I had to create an equation
from scratch.  I used the insert > equation button.  When I found out how
easy it was compared the old editor, I stopped copying and pasting  equations
done with the old equation editor and just used the new one more or less
exclusively  (to my current regret).

The document will not open in either Word 2003 or 2007 (I still had Word
2003 on an old laptop I don’t normally use anymore) but when I used that link
in my previous post to convert it to a doc file, it does open in Word 2007
but with the equations done with the new equation editor gone.  I suppose I
could try opening the file converted at the link with the Word 2003 on my old
laptop.

Perhaps it was a bad idea to have equations created by different equation
editors in the same document.  If so, I can avoid the mistake in the future.
However, right now, I would really like to savage my work.

Incorrect formatting opening .csv file in Excel
When opening a database generated .csv file with the following data: "1","10E-024","1" Excel opens it incorrectly formatting the text as a scientific number: 1 1.0E-24 1 If I save the file as .txt, and open in excel using the import wizard, I can specify that the column should be text, and the item code 10E-024 appears correctly. However this is far from ideal, as it relies on a manual step and the file cannot be saved as .csv again - otherwise the same fault happens next time the file it opened. Is there a way of forcing Excel to open .csv files in raw da...

Word 2008- Save and name with applescript
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a .dot template file that I use daily. I don't have a problem with the rest of the script but i'd like to replace two dialog boxes with text that i've already entered in fields DName and DOB, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to reference or pull the text out of these two text fields in a word 2008 document. Essentially the first two text form fields in the document contain the name and date of birth and i want to turn that into the file name. <br><br>i.e. what i've ...

Merging Excel Sheet with Excel Sheet (Just like in MS Word!)
Hi everyone, Purpose: create classroom roster between one Excel spreadsheet as data source and another excel sheet. I know how to use one excel spreadsheet as a data source to merge with another word document; however, by using this method, I found that the link between the files keep dropping from time to time, especially when the folder has been moved around. I'm thinking of creating the same layout of the Word document in another Excel spreadsheet and somehow "LINK" the data source and the other spreadsheet together, but I'm not sure how, or whether thi...

Cached Exchange and GAL Problem
I have a windows domain with an Exchange organisation that houses multiple e-mail domains. Each E-mail domain belongs to a different company and has its own GAL. When the users login via terminal services and start Outlook they only see the users within their own company. This is fine, no problem here......Some of these users connect with the same username and password using Outlook 2003 RPC over HTTP that connects to exactly the smae Exchange organisation. When using cached exchange mode and the user clicks on the address book, it displays the entire organisation including information about t...

Cant open PDF in OWA 2003
Hi, If I receive a PDF attachment from someone on my Exchange 2003 SP2 server I have to save it to the local disk to view it. However, if I receive a PDF attachment from the Internet I am able to view it right insde of the OWA window and don't have to save it to the local disk. Any ideas? Thanks If you're using Adobe Reader v6 or earlier, go to v7.0.9 or v8. We had a similar issue where people could not open a link to a PDF file from Outlook and updating Adobe Reader fixed it. Ray "poguemahone" <poguemahone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9ACCC...

Outlook 2002 Vcard attachment shows as a .msg file-opens but no information
I am receiving forwarded attachments as a Vcard file from a contact list. It shows up as an envelope on the attachment and as a .msg file. It opens but there is no information there other than a name. Is there a setting in Outlook that is incorrect or is this something to do with a setting in the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrative Rules. I have searched the knowledge base and cannot find any specific answers yet. Anyone have any feedback on this or the same problem? Help! Thanks. Carl ...

Formula problem #9
Hi, I have entered a small formula in a cell =A1+B1 the result is also fine but if i have edit the formula i have to again type the entire thing. Is there a shortcut to this where i can easily do the editing of the formula, i guess i am missing something out here. Hi, I guess you are not able to see the formula in the formula bar if it is so then go to Tools|Options|View|check the formula bar check box|ok -- _______________________ Click "Yes" if it helps ________ Thanks Suleman Peerzade "Niroo" wrote: > Hi, > > I have entered a small formula in a cell ...

Can't open database window using shift key...
Hi there, I have an Access database that I distribute to my client on CDROM. The start up options of the database are set so that the database window is not visible to the users. When the database is updgraded the database manager copies it from the CDROM to the relavant PC and then uses the shift key on opening in order to display the database window and link to the tables in the existing back-end. This procedure has been done many many times without a problem... BUT last week he found that holding down the shift key whilst opening the database no longer opened the database window and leave...

Unable to open MDE file
Hi, I am using office 2000 and I am unable to open an Access file. I receive the following error message "You cannot convert or enable an MDE file". I was able to open this file till yesterday. I haven't installed any software since yesterday which safely rules out any problems due to a third party software etc. Hoping for a quick resolution to my problem. Thanks , Nik Hopefully you still have access to the .mdb file from which the .mde was created. You don't state which version the .mde was created in. In any case, there's precious little you can do with one...

Subform Data Entry Problems
I have a subform based on a query linked to the Form by "ContactID". The query works fine when run independent of the subform. I am able to enter all data fields and where necessary the autonumber function assigns properly. But when I try to use the subform all records related by my table "tblADDRESS" do not allow data entry (the fields are not locked). I imagine the ContactID Master/Child link in some way is interfering with the query in Form view, but I've tried every variation of join properties within the Query for the Subform and in the Query for the main...

subdocument will not open
Hello, I just finished a chapter of work today and was reorganising the master document and somehow word now thinks my subdocument is the master or something along those lines and will not open it. I can't open the subdocument on it's own. I keep getting the error message: subdocument cannot be inserted because it is the master document or because it contains the current master document as a subdocument. In my attempt to fix this I seem to have lost any mention of my subdocument within the master so now all I have is my subdocument file that will not open. Has anyone s...

How to convert a Publisher document for blind readers?
We're a church that uses Publisher to produce a weekly 4-page booklet that we print and distribute on Sunday. I'd like to email the document in advance to some blind congregants who have a text reader on their computer at home. When I convert the doc to plain text, the order of the text gets messed up. How can I convert the Publisher doc to a format easily read by text readers for the blind while maintaining the correct order of words? Thanks in advance for your help. Can the readers they use read .pdf files? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Mic...

Link Browser Problems
I have Outlook 2002 as Part of Office XP. I have also installed Service Pack 3. Recently (before and now after the installation of SP3) when I try to open a URL link in an e-mail I get the response that the Link Browser can't be found and it opens the My Documents Folder. Any idea how to fix this?? Thanks. Browse to the location of explorer.exe (or your system default browser) and double click it. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal accoun...

ARGGG! OWA Problem
We are using Outlook Web Access with Exchange server 5.5 (on a Windows 2000 computer). For some strange reason, I cannot successfully connect anymore. I get either of the following errors. It's either 1) Failed to get inbox Or 2) Failed to connect to the Microsoft Exchange server, <server name> No other users seem to be affected, just me! I have checked permissions through the IIS management console, and I have even re-applied service pack 4 for Exchange 5.5. I can log on to the network and get my mail through Outlook on the desktop with no problem. I'm stumped! Any...

Release version problems
Hi, I built a release version of my application, and an installer. The application runs fine on my two XP development machines. When I installed it on a windows 2000 machine (SP4) I got the following error when I tried to display a bitmap in my app: "The instruction at "0x00000001" referenced memory at "0x00000001". The memory could not be "read". Then I installed it on another XP machine, and the application crashed and closed itself when performing a certain operation (could also be bitmap related, but not necessarily). I am using the paintlib library in...

Running problem
VWD 2010 I copy all my asp project into a physical location in my pc. Set up a virtual directory under IIS. Open the browser for the main page. eg http://localhost/TestSite20100707/main.aspx Got the error on the page showing the webconfig contents: Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'targetFramework'. Note that attribute name...

On behalf of problem
No one seems to be able to figure this one out. All my incoming emails are now coming in 'on behalf of' the actual sender. The subject line in there but all of the body of the email is blank. These are all emails senders who regularly send me email and I have done nothing to my Outlook. No one else on my network has this problem but me and it just appeared out of no where. What is the issue here and how can I fix it? Stu. manchu <sjwarkentin@fastmail.fm> wrote: > No one seems to be able to figure this one out. All my incoming > emails are now coming in 'on beh...

Exchange 2000 OWA Problem
I can access my Exchange 2000 server via OWA from within the network fine. However when I try and access from outside the network, I can't and receive a "page can't be displayed" error message. I believe my DNS settings are correct, but when I go to http://servername/exchange (using fully qualified domain server name), the error message comes up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Martin On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:59:01 -0700, Martin <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can access my Exchange 2000 server via OWA from within the network fine. >Ho...

OMA Problem Getting Desperate & Running out of Ideas
Hi I am looking to roll out OMA through my corp, but can't seem to solve this prob I am having with logging on I have been through the available papers and there none out there which apply to this or work for it I enabled OMA on my local Exchange 2003 box which is running Server 2000, the OMA directory in IIS contains the correct mailboxes. However when I connect through I.E6 to http://servername:port/oma, I seem to sucessfully logon, but then get then get blocked with a HTTP 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR page cannot be displayed screen. I also get this when I browse OMA through IIS. Though I...

Tab box opens with all selected
On my forms when I move from tab to tab all the text is selected in the newly opened text box. Is there some way to have them open with out having everything selected? Thanks TES, Well, actually, you're "moving from control to control, using the Tab key"... which is the correct way to navigate a form. Try this in each text control's OnEnter and /or Click event. I'll use a control named [LastName] For Tabbing into a control... Private Sub LastName_Enter() LastName.SelLength = 0 End Sub For Mouse Clic...

[Excel 2003] problem in files with pivottables after install Office Service Pack 3
Hi all. System: Windows XP Pro SP2, Office 2003 Professional + Service Pack 3 I have a problem with some xls files after install office service pack 3. With service pack 2 this files normal open. With service pack 3 after open file displays dialog (my translate from russian) "In workbook ... have contents which can not be read. Try restore contents of workbook ? If you trust source of this workbook, press button YES". If I press "No" - file not opens. If I press "Yes", displays next dialog. This dialog form content a list of corrections in file. Biggest pa...

Publish to Sharepoint from Word?
Hello, When we had our old Sharepoint I was able to publish from Word and Excel to Sharepoint. When I try to do that now it does not work. In Word, when I want to publish my document, I was able to publish it to (Office button --> Publish -->) Document Management Server. But when I have the 'Save As' window open, no Sharepoint server is available. When I press the 'Create New Folder (Alt+F4) I am able to add the Sharepoint server. But when all administrative actions have been performed, no Sharepoint server is available in my 'Save As' window. And wh...

rows in a report 03-09-10
I have a text box with a number in it. How would I make that many rows in a report based off the number in the text box? Thanks in advance!!! Does the "number" come from the report's record source? Is there only one record and one "number"? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "PJ" wrote: > I have a text box with a number in it. How would I make that many rows in a > report based off the number in the text box? > > Thanks in advance!!! It comes from the report's record source and it is the same number on all reco...

Problems with my Dell Inspion with Windows Vista.
Two months ago, my computer was so full of viruses that it had asked me when I was restarting it if I wanted to restore it back to before I was having all of the problems that I was having with it. After I agreed to restoring it, everything worked fine. Two weeks ago, my computer started making me find the files of things I wanted to open before I opened them, example, if I wanted to open Firefox, an Open With pop up would open and would make me go into files and open it manually. But for some reason, it will not open programs period. How can I fix this without completely re-form...

Combo Box to open report
Hi, I have a report which opens a query, based on the priority number (1,2 or 3). In the query criterira for Priority I have the following. <[Show all CP with priority <=] This brings up a prompt box when I open the report where I type 1, 2 or 3 to bring up the records with that priority. I want to change the caption to a combo box where I can select 1, 2, or 3 rather than typing it in, and also have the option to display ALL records. Can anyone help please? Thanks, B/ You cannot make Access prompt you with a combo box. However, you can create an unbound form with a combo ...