must use "Save As" after opening Word Perfect files

We have one user who, when he opens a WP doc, the document does not open with
the document name (i.e. Sales.wpd), it opens as Document 1 (or 2, or 3,
etc.).  He can't just hit "Save" to save the document, the dialogue box comes
up as "Save As".

What could be causing this?  It's only an issue with one user.  No one else
had this problem.

Is the user opening the file from within Word or from an Explorer window
(such as My Computer)? If the latter, then it would appear that the default
action for .wpd files has been set to New rather than Open (although Word
has been selected as the application to open them). Have the user
right-click on a file and see whether New or Open is the default (bold)
choice. If New, then this must be changed through the Tools | Folder Options

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have one user who, when he opens a WP doc, the document does not open
> with
> the document name (i.e. Sales.wpd), it opens as Document 1 (or 2, or 3,
> etc.).  He can't just hit "Save" to save the document, the dialogue box
> comes
> up as "Save As".
>
> What could be causing this?  It's only an issue with one user.  No one
> else
> had this problem.

0
Suzanne
1/15/2010 4:10:10 PM
There isn't a problem. The document was in Word Perfect format, so Word has
converted it to a Word format so that you can edit it.

However, it needs to know what format you want to save it to: it cannot
guess whether you want Word 2007-2010, Word 97-2003, RTF or maybe back to
WordPerfect.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have one user who, when he opens a WP doc, the document does not open
> with
> the document name (i.e. Sales.wpd), it opens as Document 1 (or 2, or 3,
> etc.).  He can't just hit "Save" to save the document, the dialogue box
> comes
> up as "Save As".
>
> What could be causing this?  It's only an issue with one user.  No one
> else
> had this problem.

0
Terry
1/15/2010 4:15:47 PM
Good point.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> There isn't a problem. The document was in Word Perfect format, so Word
> has converted it to a Word format so that you can edit it.
>
> However, it needs to know what format you want to save it to: it cannot
> guess whether you want Word 2007-2010, Word 97-2003, RTF or maybe back to
> WordPerfect.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> We have one user who, when he opens a WP doc, the document does not open
>> with
>> the document name (i.e. Sales.wpd), it opens as Document 1 (or 2, or 3,
>> etc.).  He can't just hit "Save" to save the document, the dialogue box
>> comes
>> up as "Save As".
>>
>> What could be causing this?  It's only an issue with one user.  No one
>> else
>> had this problem.

0
Suzanne

Edit image on form and save as external file (ac2003)
I'm trying to add a control on to a form to take a person's signature. I'm not using a tablet pc, just a usb tablet and pen. I would like to load the form with a blank bitmap or jpeg image in the control by loading a saved blank file when the form is opened, get the signature and then save the image on close as an external file - I don't particularly want to save it as an OLE object or image field in the record due to the potential number of images which will be involved. So I'll just name it with the unique Id of the record so that it can be fetched back when ne...

file save as word 2003 xp pro
Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the file save as option and call the file test.doc. It doesn't prompt me to overwrite the existing test.doc shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earlier versions?? No - if you open a document and use SaveAs to save it with the same name you won't get a prompt. If you use SaveAs to save it with a different existing name, you will. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site...

Save as #8
Hi, I need to create a function that will copy a sheet on my workbook to a new workbook how do i open a save as window? I am using win2000 and office 2000. Regards, John, To create a worksheet with a copy of a single worksheet, use code like ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Copy Then, do a Save As with the new filename: ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs filename:="whatever.xls" -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "JOHN SMITH" <NEW> wrote in message news:eHAZql$KFHA.656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Changing Default settings on "Save as Type"
From: "Gordon Byrne" <gordyjb@yahoo.com> Subject: Changing Default setting on Save as Type Date: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:32 AM Hi, is there a way to change the default setting for Save as Type when I am saving an email. It defaults to Text only but I would like it to default to Message Format. Thanks for any help. Gordy No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.out...

Save As Macro
I have created a macro that I use weekly. The macro names and saves the spreadsheet. Currently, when saving the spreadsheet I am asked "A file name ‘c:\filename.xls’ already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it?" Is there a way that I can amend the macro to automatically answer YES. ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="c:\filename.xls", _ FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _ ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False Thanks Application.displayalerts = false 'your code...

Explorer context menu missing "Save As" option
XP Pro SP3 Office Pro SP3 Have a single system that when browsing files in Explorer then right-clicking on a Word (*.doc) file the context menu doesn't have the "Save As" option. My end-users use this quite a bit to convert Word 2007 file to Word 2003 files. I'm sure it is most likely a registry entry but not certain best way to locate. Thanks in advance!! Are you referring to the Save Target As option that you see when you right-click a link in Internet Explorer? As far as I know, it has never allowed you to change the format. What you can do is the...

Error Message when trying to Save As Previous Version
This error report include information regarding the condition of Microsoft Publisher when the problem occurred. The operation version and computer Hardware in use: your digital Product ID, it could be used to identify your license and the IP address of your computer This was the first paragragh and happened when I tried to take a Publisher 2002 and Save As a Publisher 2000. This publication may lose some formatting if saved for a previous version of Publisher. For more information about formatting that may be lost, Press F1 now. To continue saving for a previous version of Publisherm...

Charts move down page when save as PDF
I have a user that has stored 5 pages of Excel charts on one worksheet. When she save as a PDF form the charts seem to move down the page and masking over text. Is there something we can do to prevent this? ...

Is there a two a shortcut to Save As with two letters?
I know that Ctrl + S is the shortcut to Save document. I wonder, is there a shorcut to Save As other than the F12 key? Thanks. If it is a new (unsaved) document, then Ctrl+S will trigger the SaveAs dialog too because Word is unable to simply Save as it doesn't know what name or location to save it. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Octavio" <inquirer@inquirer.com> wrote in message news:#vaLSFXtKHA.4860@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I know that Ctrl + S is the shortcut to Save document. > I wonder, is there a shorcut to Save As other than the F12 ke...

How to change default "Save as" folder in outlook?
Can anyone help, and tell me how I can change the default folder when you select 'save as'. It always defaults to save in 'C:\My documents'. Can this be changed? ...

"Save As" command missing from file menu
My coworker's copy of Excel seems to no longer have the "Save As" command in her file menu. The menu is fully expanded, so it doesn't seem to be hidden. She can still save using the control-S command, but would like her save as option back. Any ideas? Maybe got dragged off. You could go to Tools>Customize>Toolbars and select Worksheet MenuBar and reset. This would wipe out any customizations done the this bar. Or Tools>Customize>Commands>File. Drag the Save As up to the File menu. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:14:36 -0800 (PST), Matt....

Save as type
When I want to save an Excel spreadsheet, I have many options when it comes to "Save as type". What I want to know is what all those options mean? Yes, I know the basic ones, but while some are common sense, others are a mystery. Isn't there a white paper which explains these options in more detail, and when they are used and for what purposes. Thank you. One place... Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types (tab) Another place... http://www.fileinfo.com/ And another... Wikipedia -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA "Liontamer" &l...

How do I set "save picture as file" to save as a jpg by default?
Publisher defaults to .gif when saving pictures. I'd like to set it to save a "jpg" instead, so I don't have to change it every time I save a picture. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Teresa ...

Cannot do a Save or Save As of Publisher File
We have a file that was created some time back, burned to CD to make space on our network. We now need to use the file to create a smaller version but cannot get Publisher to save it anwyere. I have seen the previous posts regardin NAV and that was done without success. I have also verified that the file is not "read only" or "hidden".Of note though, I have full priviledges to the file and yet I cannot change permissions on it. The boxes are all greyed out. What am I missing here? Thanks, -- J M. Grant Any chance that you are using a trial version of Publisher...

Save As DBF
Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007. My GIS staff use this quite extensively. What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files since 2007 can not make them? Access can make the DBF files, you just end up two stepping it. Niteschool wrote: > Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007. My GIS staff use this > quite extensively. What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files > since 2007 can not make them? Niteschool wrote: > Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007. My GIS staff use this > quite extensively. W...

Outlook 2003: Draft Folder
I have an employee that when she escapes out of an e-mail and Outlook asks if she wants to save the message she clicks Yes. But it brings up the Save As dialogue box rather than just put the e-mail in the Drafts Folder. We have the AutoSave items set to be Drafts folder but we can not get Outlook to save unsent e-mails in the Drafts folder. Thoughts? This is a fresh reinstall of the OS, and standard Outlook Install ...

file "save as" to floppy locks up
I use a ZIP drive and a 1.44 floppy drive to store financial information. I keep duplicate files on the floppy. The Zip drive is the primary storage. After saving the open file to the Zip drive, using "File"-"save-as"-"drive A" for the backup file to be saved to floppy, I get to "File already exists, replace? Yes, No". Accepting the overwrite, the program writes a temp file to the floppy and never replaces the original file. The program locks up displaying a hourglass but all floppy activity ceases. Complete system shutdown is required to re...

Using the Save As Webpage function in Excell
I'm wanting to use the Save as webpage in excell so that i can set the data of a couple row's to show up usingmy active desktop so it is there for eisier refrence, but the problem i'm having is this. It shows the data but there is a bunch if white area round the information that I entred. a huge white border or something. Is there anyway to get it to just show the rows i want with out the white back ground? Dustin, If this is for viewing for the current worksheet then perhaps easie for you is in the Window 'Split' option, where you can size the uppe pane to just a c...

Microsoft Word 2000 and 'Save As' option
With the Word 2000 version, when I have filename 'X' and I make modifications and 'save as' filename 'Y' with a new filename, it creates filename 'y' and also keeps the original filename 'x.' I am pretty sure that with previous versions, 'save as' only changed the 'file name' from 'X' to 'Y' and 'overrode' the original file instead of duplicating it. Am I correct? Summer1 wrote: > With the Word 2000 version, when I have filename 'X' and I make modifications > and 'save as' f...

How to save as a high definition JPEG
Whenever we save our Advertisements file in JPEG format we get a low resolution file. Is there any way to save our file as a high resolution JPEG file? Thank You Michael Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from Michael Malone <mmalone@pdp.ca> > Whenever we save our Advertisements file in JPEG format we > get a low resolution file. Is there any way to save our > file as a high resolution JPEG file? Publisher 2003 can save JPG files at high resolution. A workaround in Publisher 2002 is to enlarge your publication to a larger size,...

.pdf save as settings

Save as .csv file removes trailing 00 #2
Hi all. I have a XL sheet with one column containing tekst and values. It is partnumbers. Some of these starts with trailing nulls (the number 0). Like 00AB25 or 00056P-SDF. It is populated from SQL Server 2000 varchar(30) field. When I save as .csv file XL removes the trailing 0's and the partnumber in the csv file changes to AB25 and 56P-SDF. Any ideas how to avoid this? thanx. geir In the raw .csv file the leading nulls are preserved (try opening it with Notepad and you will see), but when Excel reopens the file it converts them to numbers. But only those partnumbers that do n...

Lotus 123 save as excel workbook and maintain formatting? #2

Alternative to common dialog / save as?
I'm using a skinning component which causes the default showSave dialog to appear misaligned and discolored (nothing I can do other than to stop working with the component). Is there a different way to show a standard "save as" dialog box? Maybe something without the search bar etc.? Thank you "John Smith" <spam@not-a-real-domain-name.com> wrote in message news:e2dGGWdCLHA.5412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I'm using a skinning component which causes the default showSave dialog to > appear misaligned and discolored (nothing I can do ot...

Save as Picture DISTORTS FONTS
I use Pub 2002 to create compositions that I save as .jpg's for my website, and email headers. The compositions consist of "Digital images (.tiff) + WordArt + Shapes (with fills) + Text Blocks". I group them together, or do a Select All then use "Save as Picture" to save the composition as a .jpg . When I reopen the saved .jpg I find that the text that was added as a Text Block becomes fuzzy / blurry. The images, WordArt, and Shapes all remain clear. It doesn't matter what program I open the .jpg with the Text that was added as a Text Block is re...