MS Office 2000 Professional - Word

When we bought the latest ACER laptop with Vista it came with the test
version of MS Office 2007 which we never purchased or installed.
Instead I loaded an old version of Office 2000 Professional and have not
updated it since installation and it has worked flawlessly up to now
Yesterday Word suddenly stopped working (it just freezes) after I tried to
open an excel csv file. The system tried to open the file with Word 2007 and
started to install I didn't notice until it asked for my Product Key. I
foolishly ignored the request and cancelled the installation a few seconds
later.
After that Word stopped working.

I have tried to repair at least 10 times and uninstalled and reinstalled at
least 5-6 times.
I also uninstalled Office 2007 a number of times which came back when I
restored.
Then I tried to install sr1a which failed as soon as the download starts. I
also tried installing word by itself-no joy as well as tried installing many
of the updates which also failed with the error message saying the version
wasn't recognised or something like that.
The last thing I tried was uninstalling 2000 and opening the files with word
2007-no joy

Btw, excel, access and powerpoint all continue to work and Oh yes, I did try
a restore from 3 days ago which was sucessful, but Word still wouldn't
work.When the system tried to load a Hybrid version of Word 2007 I thought I
was home free, but again no joy because I got an error message that setup
encounered an error and to look at the log-I have no idea where these logs
are and even if I did, most probably wouldn't understand  it anyway

I undid the restore which was a mistake because I then lost any ability to
restore from before early this morning

I'm exhausted and very frustrated and have run out of ideas.
I'm no guru on the registry where something most likely got hosed so can't
look there.

Any suggestions to this long rambling post would be appreciated

Thanks

0
Kathy

Hi Kathy,

From the Windows Control Panel (using either 'Add/remove Programs' or 'Programs & Features'):
1. make sure Office 2007 is uninstalled; then
2. do a repair of Office 2000.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Kathy" <nospam@kathy.com> wrote in message news:uI5MdY8bKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> When we bought the latest ACER laptop with Vista it came with the test
> version of MS Office 2007 which we never purchased or installed.
> Instead I loaded an old version of Office 2000 Professional and have not
> updated it since installation and it has worked flawlessly up to now
> Yesterday Word suddenly stopped working (it just freezes) after I tried to
> open an excel csv file. The system tried to open the file with Word 2007 and
> started to install I didn't notice until it asked for my Product Key. I
> foolishly ignored the request and cancelled the installation a few seconds
> later.
> After that Word stopped working.
>
> I have tried to repair at least 10 times and uninstalled and reinstalled at
> least 5-6 times.
> I also uninstalled Office 2007 a number of times which came back when I
> restored.
> Then I tried to install sr1a which failed as soon as the download starts. I
> also tried installing word by itself-no joy as well as tried installing many
> of the updates which also failed with the error message saying the version
> wasn't recognised or something like that.
> The last thing I tried was uninstalling 2000 and opening the files with word
> 2007-no joy
>
> Btw, excel, access and powerpoint all continue to work and Oh yes, I did try
> a restore from 3 days ago which was sucessful, but Word still wouldn't
> work.When the system tried to load a Hybrid version of Word 2007 I thought I
> was home free, but again no joy because I got an error message that setup
> encounered an error and to look at the log-I have no idea where these logs
> are and even if I did, most probably wouldn't understand  it anyway
>
> I undid the restore which was a mistake because I then lost any ability to
> restore from before early this morning
>
> I'm exhausted and very frustrated and have run out of ideas.
> I'm no guru on the registry where something most likely got hosed so can't
> look there.
>
> Any suggestions to this long rambling post would be appreciated
>
> Thanks

0
macropod
11/28/2009 1:42:20 AM
If you are going to install an older version of Office, it needs to be
installed before the newer version. So you need to uninstall Office 2007
before installing Office 2000. Go to the Control Panel, Program Control
applet and then select and Remove Office 2007. Then install Office 2000.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Kathy" <nospam@kathy.com> wrote in message
> When we bought the latest ACER laptop with Vista it came with the test
> version of MS Office 2007 which we never purchased or installed.
> Instead I loaded an old version of Office 2000 Professional and have not
> updated it since installation and it has worked flawlessly up to now
> Yesterday Word suddenly stopped working (it just freezes) after I tried to
> open an excel csv file. The system tried to open the file with Word 2007
> and started to install I didn't notice until it asked for my Product Key.
> I foolishly ignored the request and cancelled the installation a few
> seconds later.
> After that Word stopped working.
>
> I have tried to repair at least 10 times and uninstalled and reinstalled
> at least 5-6 times.
> I also uninstalled Office 2007 a number of times which came back when I
> restored.
> Then I tried to install sr1a which failed as soon as the download starts.
> I also tried installing word by itself-no joy as well as tried installing
> many of the updates which also failed with the error message saying the
> version wasn't recognised or something like that.
> The last thing I tried was uninstalling 2000 and opening the files with
> word 2007-no joy
>
> Btw, excel, access and powerpoint all continue to work and Oh yes, I did
> try a restore from 3 days ago which was sucessful, but Word still wouldn't
> work.When the system tried to load a Hybrid version of Word 2007 I thought
> I was home free, but again no joy because I got an error message that
> setup encounered an error and to look at the log-I have no idea where
> these logs are and even if I did, most probably wouldn't understand  it
> anyway
>
> I undid the restore which was a mistake because I then lost any ability to
> restore from before early this morning
>
> I'm exhausted and very frustrated and have run out of ideas.
> I'm no guru on the registry where something most likely got hosed so can't
> look there.
>
> Any suggestions to this long rambling post would be appreciated
>
> Thanks

0
Terry
11/28/2009 9:17:46 AM
I have tried many times to uninstall 2007 Microsoft 2007, but so far I can't
get rid of this 118 mb file.
The various 2007 programs that were never installed have all been
uninstalled
and I have repaired, uninstalled Office 2000 numerous times

"macropod" <macropod@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi Kathy,
>
> From the Windows Control Panel (using either 'Add/remove Programs' or
> 'Programs & Features'):
> 1. make sure Office 2007 is uninstalled; then
> 2. do a repair of Office 2000.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Kathy" <nospam@kathy.com> wrote in message
>> When we bought the latest ACER laptop with Vista it came with the test
>> version of MS Office 2007 which we never purchased or installed.
>> Instead I loaded an old version of Office 2000 Professional and have not
>> updated it since installation and it has worked flawlessly up to now
>> Yesterday Word suddenly stopped working (it just freezes) after I tried
>> to open an excel csv file. The system tried to open the file with Word
>> 2007 and started to install I didn't notice until it asked for my Product
>> Key. I foolishly ignored the request and cancelled the installation a few
>> seconds later.
>> After that Word stopped working.
>>
>> I have tried to repair at least 10 times and uninstalled and reinstalled
>> at least 5-6 times.
>> I also uninstalled Office 2007 a number of times which came back when I
>> restored.
>> Then I tried to install sr1a which failed as soon as the download starts.
>> I also tried installing word by itself-no joy as well as tried installing
>> many of the updates which also failed with the error message saying the
>> version wasn't recognised or something like that.
>> The last thing I tried was uninstalling 2000 and opening the files with
>> word 2007-no joy
>>
>> Btw, excel, access and powerpoint all continue to work and Oh yes, I did
>> try a restore from 3 days ago which was sucessful, but Word still
>> wouldn't work.When the system tried to load a Hybrid version of Word 2007
>> I thought I was home free, but again no joy because I got an error
>> message that setup encounered an error and to look at the log-I have no
>> idea where these logs are and even if I did, most probably wouldn't
>> understand  it anyway
>>
>> I undid the restore which was a mistake because I then lost any ability
>> to restore from before early this morning
>>
>> I'm exhausted and very frustrated and have run out of ideas.
>> I'm no guru on the registry where something most likely got hosed so
>> can't look there.
>>
>> Any suggestions to this long rambling post would be appreciated
>>
>> Thanks

0
Kathy
12/14/2009 1:27:57 AM
Hi Kathy,

You may have to complete the '07 installation before you can uninstall it.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Kathy" <nospam@kathy.com> wrote in message news:7C099B8A-CDFF-4444-8C37-F12B770B0D5F@microsoft.com...
>I have tried many times to uninstall 2007 Microsoft 2007, but so far I can't
> get rid of this 118 mb file.
> The various 2007 programs that were never installed have all been
> uninstalled
> and I have repaired, uninstalled Office 2000 numerous times
>

> "macropod" <macropod@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi Kathy,
>>
>> From the Windows Control Panel (using either 'Add/remove Programs' or
>> 'Programs & Features'):
>> 1. make sure Office 2007 is uninstalled; then
>> 2. do a repair of Office 2000.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>

>> "Kathy" <nospam@kathy.com> wrote in message
>>> When we bought the latest ACER laptop with Vista it came with the test
>>> version of MS Office 2007 which we never purchased or installed.
>>> Instead I loaded an old version of Office 2000 Professional and have not
>>> updated it since installation and it has worked flawlessly up to now
>>> Yesterday Word suddenly stopped working (it just freezes) after I tried
>>> to open an excel csv file. The system tried to open the file with Word
>>> 2007 and started to install I didn't notice until it asked for my Product
>>> Key. I foolishly ignored the request and cancelled the installation a few
>>> seconds later.
>>> After that Word stopped working.
>>>
>>> I have tried to repair at least 10 times and uninstalled and reinstalled
>>> at least 5-6 times.
>>> I also uninstalled Office 2007 a number of times which came back when I
>>> restored.
>>> Then I tried to install sr1a which failed as soon as the download starts.
>>> I also tried installing word by itself-no joy as well as tried installing
>>> many of the updates which also failed with the error message saying the
>>> version wasn't recognised or something like that.
>>> The last thing I tried was uninstalling 2000 and opening the files with
>>> word 2007-no joy
>>>
>>> Btw, excel, access and powerpoint all continue to work and Oh yes, I did
>>> try a restore from 3 days ago which was sucessful, but Word still
>>> wouldn't work.When the system tried to load a Hybrid version of Word 2007
>>> I thought I was home free, but again no joy because I got an error
>>> message that setup encounered an error and to look at the log-I have no
>>> idea where these logs are and even if I did, most probably wouldn't
>>> understand  it anyway
>>>
>>> I undid the restore which was a mistake because I then lost any ability
>>> to restore from before early this morning
>>>
>>> I'm exhausted and very frustrated and have run out of ideas.
>>> I'm no guru on the registry where something most likely got hosed so
>>> can't look there.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions to this long rambling post would be appreciated
>>>
>>> Thanks

0
macropod
12/14/2009 7:27:26 AM
Ok, that's something I never considered.
I'll have to cogitate on that one

> Hi Kathy,
>
> You may have to complete the '07 installation before you can uninstall it.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Kathy" <nospam@kathy.com> wrote in message
>>I have tried many times to uninstall 2007 Microsoft 2007, but so far I
>>can't get rid of this 118 mb file.
>> The various 2007 programs that were never installed have all been
>> uninstalled
>> and I have repaired, uninstalled Office 2000 numerous times
>>

>> "macropod" <macropod@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Hi Kathy,
>>>
>>> From the Windows Control Panel (using either 'Add/remove Programs' or
>>> 'Programs & Features'):
>>> 1. make sure Office 2007 is uninstalled; then
>>> 2. do a repair of Office 2000.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> macropod
>>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>>

>>> "Kathy" <nospam@kathy.com> wrote in message

0
Kathy

Outlook 2000 under Win98
Hi, Have a machine with Win98 and Outlook 2000. I am giving this machine to another user. The problem that I have is that when I start Outlook 2000, it has the previous user name in the splash screen. here are the things that I have tried. 1. Uninstall Outlook 2000 (twice) 2. Delete all occurances of Outlook in Registry 3. Reinstall Outlook 2000 (twice) 4. Delete .pwl files And still when I reinstall again, I entered a new user name in the installation process. After that, I start Outlook and still have the previous user name. Note: Don't really want to reinstall Win98. Any s...

Hidden files in Ms-Query cause ODBC connect errors or Query is wac
I have a Query fetch_from_bob that moves data (collapses records,unique key search, etc...) from excel spreadsheet "bob" to excel spreadsheet "fred". Fred and bob live in the same directory" c:\123directory" on the same computer. I allow this query to execute/refresh data automatically when one of the query paramaters is changed. This works great. I also have a macro that invokes the query to refresh the data whenever the user desires. This works great as well. The macro literally has all the VB code to execute the query. But I'm just a part time progra...

Compatibility Pack for Office 2007
This may be a stupid question, but... We are in the process of migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007. We had deployed the Compatibility Pack to all our Office 2003 users a year or more ago so they could read documents created outside our company. My question is... Is there any need or value to keep the Compatibility Pack installed after installing Office 2007? Thanks, Tom In article <OP$RtKsmKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Tom K wrote: > This may be a stupid question, but... > > We are in the process of migrating from Office 2003 to Office 200...

Office 2001 for Mac help needed!
As an undergrad, I received a copy of Microsoft Office 2001 for Mac and it is installed on my iMac that I used there. However, I just bought a new MacBook for graduate school and need to install Office on that computer now, but when I put the disk in and double click on install it wont work. All of the icons have an x on them and I believe it says it "This application cannot run on this system" or something to that effect. HELP! I need Office asap since classes start this week! Thank you Laura Hi Laura - Your best bet is to hie thee to the university bookstore & get the u...

Can CRM 4.0 professional run on Windows SBS 2003?
CRM 3.0 shipped in two flavours: CRM 3.0 for Small Business Server, and CRM 3.0 professional. Apparently, CRM 4.0 doesn't come in a "for Small Business Server". Instead, it ships as "professional" and "enterpriese" editions. Has anyone tried running CRM 4.0 on Windows Small Business Server 2003? Andy Hi, I'm running CRM 4.0 workgroup on SBS 2003 R2, didnt have any problems yet. As long as you have your ReportServices right during installation, you should be fine. Alex "Andy" wrote: > CRM 3.0 shipped in two flavours: CRM 3.0 for Smal...

Converting Numerical values to Words
I am fairly new to the ins and outs of Microsoft Access 2003 but have been able to work through all of my problems thus far except one. I started using check boxes for storing user inputed data from a form. When the box is checked I have made it equal a value ranging from 1 to 6 according to the desired group. This stores the number in a table which I then reference many times in queries as well as reports. Here is my question, how do I convert from those stored numbers, taken from the check boxes, to words that can be easily outputted to a report so that anyone can read it without ...

Word problems 2003 and 2007 version
hey everyone both on my main computer and my brothers laptop word isnt working! its so annoying! on my desktop PC i have windows xp and word 2003. after getting a virus which stopped the internet from working i had to do a system restore - which got rid of the virus. but when i click on word it says that "this shortcut only applies to installed products", and when i go to word through program files it says "this product is not installed on this user" - but there is no setup thing i can press - will i need the disc maybe? on my bro's laptop he got the sa...

Using Outlook client for CRM 3.0 in a remote office
I need to set up access to the corporate CRM from several remote offices. All of them have VPN connections (Windows or Checkpoint). What are the steps required to configure remote clients to be able to use CRM features in Outlook. Remote users can connect to CRM through Internet Expolorer. Thanks. Assuming they are connected, the isntallation over a VPN connection should not be any different than a typicaly installation. If the connection is slow though, the first synch & Go Offline process will be noticiably slower though. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "mkatsev"...

excel 2000 message
excel 2000 message - 'cannot use object linking and embedding' Were they hit by the MSBlast worm? One poster (Lutz Meyer) guessed that this was the cause of his problems. I haven't seen any confirmation/denial, but you may want to read his post: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3F3971AF.FA4490F5%40msn.com Post back with your results. I'm curious if that was the problem. (It's come up quite a few times since MSBlast hit.) bill bootle wrote: > > excel 2000 message - 'cannot use object linking and > embedding' -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.c...

Does Office 2008 English include other languages?

how do I delete documents from the start list in word and excel?
how do I delete documents from the start list in word and excel? You can not clear it whenever you want. You can however set the no of file names to be displayed to 0 which clears the list... In Excel 2003 Tool->Options->General Enter 0 against 'Recently Used File List' of clear the check box. Click 'OK' Word has a similar option. For 2007 versions or if you want to play with Registry Settings (not advised unless you understand it well) see http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/13/how-to-clear-and-delete-recent-documents-list-in-office-2007-word-excel-p...

Outlook 2000 SP3 won't shut down
On an XP SP2 box running Office 200 SP3 when I want to shut down the system, outlook.exe and mapi32 seem to hang. They don't shut down on their own ever. Any ideas? ...

Sharing Capabilities in Office 2004
We're looking to have everyone in the office (all Macs) have access to a shared contact management system. Basically we want to be able to see the contacts we all share, post notes to each, see each others calendars, etc. Will getting everyone on office 2004 do the trick? As long as we're on a LAN will we be able to share this info, or do we also need a server to serve this up? Rich You should ask on the Entourage newsgroup, as that would be the program handling something like this. http://groups.google.com/groups?group=microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage On 11/22/06 12:34 PM, ...

CRM 4.0 - Word 2007 - mail merge
OK, so I've read a number of blogs detailing the mail merge process. Open in Word, save as XML, import to CRM, edit and add the mail merge fields. Simple, right? My organization has about a dozen mail merge templates which worked very well in CRM 3.0. I was fully aware I would probably have better luck just re-creating them in CRM 4.0. No biggie. I've done so and mail merge in CRM 4.0 is ... shall we say less than stellar. Mail merge on the Contact entity does not work at all. For any user. Mail merge on the Account and Opp entities works sporadically. Literally from one user to th...

Word 2007 Unrestricted Access?
I have a file that a customer sent. Under Protect Document > Unrestricted Access is checked. Another person in the office has made changes with the Track Changes on. They were able to save the file, but we cannpt accept the changes because we get a message that says the document is protected. What exactly does "Unrestricted Access" mean? How do we accept changes? Thanks for any assistance you can give me. -- marcia "Unrestricted Access" means anyone can read and change the document, so you or the other employee should be able to accept or reject track...

Combining VISIO files with mail merged Word document
I am trying to create a composite document that has four pages. The first page is a VISIO (2003 Professional) file that contains several pictures and a converted AutoCAD (R14) drawing file. The following three pages are a Word merged file created from an Access database. I would like to be able to have a combined file for for hard copy reproduction. This particular document has 220 reports that all have the same basic format. I have tried exporting various file types (tif, jpg, wmf, bmp, etc.) from VISIO, then inserting into Word as picture or object and most are unacceptable quali...

Code number for Microsoft Office 2001
My iMac crashed about two months ago. In the process of rebuilding it, I removed Microsoft Office 2001 to free space for the rebuild process. Unfortunately I have lost the sleeve with the product code on it. What can I do? Please reply to wnlewis@southwind.net Wm. Neal Lewis In article <d61c01c3f00a$2f7c7290$a101280a@phx.gbl>, "Wm. Neal Lewis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My iMac crashed about two months ago. In the process of > rebuilding it, I removed Microsoft Office 2001 to free > space for the rebuild process. Unfortunately I have lost...

SetUp Exchange OWA 5.5 on WIN 2000 Server
Hi, I have using a Windows 2000 Server WIth Exchange 5.5 SP4 ANd I setup a OWA on Exchange 5.5, When I open it on IE , It display Error Type: Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8) Object required: 'Application(...)' /exchange/USA/logon.asp, line 12 And I Check on MIcrosoft Website http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;248718 Follow his step to Fix it .. See . RESOLUTION To resolve this problem: 1.. Start the Internet Information Server (IIS) Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in, and expand the Transaction Server folder. 2.. Click Computers, click My ...

Single AD 2000 DC...would you first make a BDC of a second AD2000
Just one W2Ksp4 DC. No Exchange in the environment. Only AD and DNS are on this box. File/print, iis, sharepoint, everything has been off-loaded to other W2K3sp2 servers. Do I make a W2K BDC before I attempt an upgrade? My gut says no, the migration path is too neat and clean to make a W2K3sp2 a BDC to my existing and then promote it. Thank you very much for your thoughts, ideas, warnings or otherwise. Cheers. Hello Dirt, It is recommended to have at least 2 DC/DNS/GC per domain for failover and redundancy. In your case add a second server to the domain which you install ...

Getting a bank to suppose MS Money Billpay
I would like to be able to use MS Money directly to pay my bills. I currently have to logon to my banks website and go into their BillPay service and enter the bills, and then download the entries into MS Money. MS Money nicely downloads statements/etc. from my bank. What features do I need to pester my bank for to be able to use MS Money directly for bill paying. Dennis ...

Contacts in Outlook 2003 (and other Office 2003 atrocities)
Every time Microsoft does a new improved version of Office it ruins what few features it had before that worked. Going to Office 2003 (from 2000)makes a real mess of almost all of Office (it ruined what formatting I had in WORD -- the numbering goes to some default that MS thinks I *should* want). It also makes it impossible for me to find people (not CONTACTS, these are FRIENDS) I had in my address book in Outlook. For example I used to be able to type in my friends' nicknames, but that doesn't work in 2003 (the nickname is there alright, but you can't retrieve them by typing t...

Gift Cards for MS-POS
MS-RMS has a voucher tender type that provides functionality for Gift Cards and cards issued for store credit in place of cash refunds. However, MS-POS does not currently have this feature, which is a huge drawback when trying to sell this software vs. RMS. MS-POS is a better fit for many of my clients, but the lack of Gift Card support forces them to use third-party software for processing. (Or even worse, shop the competition!) Gift Cards are a retailer's paradise! They "borrow" money, interest-free, from the gift-giver. The recipient usually buys more than the valu...

word template ... PLEASE HELP !
Hello, I am trying to insert a word template into a publisher. However all my tries didnt achieve the purpose. I tried to import the document but it didnt take the graphic template only the wording were converted into the publisher. I tried to copy paste the template but i AM not able to do so because i cant even select it through the word document. I tried to take a screen capture and then use paint and to get in only the template then I inserted it into the publisher. It worked but the problem, the qualit of the picture is not good and I need to get this template for my publi...

XP Look and Feel in Windows 2000 using vc++ 6.0
Hai Iam looking to create a Dialog Based Application which looks the same look and feel of XP with vc++ 6.0 and i want to draw a title similar to XP Curved edges and iam able to do that by removing the Default Title bar and adding my Own bimtap onto that but when i place the menu that menu is residing in the Top left corner of the Window making the bitmap draw after the menu and i found that we can go for Owner draw menus but i am not getting the exact look and feel what i get in XP Style and is there any other way of solving that as I found that Menu is always attached to the Title bar ...

Message
I recently totally re-installed all of my programs as well as Windows XP, when I re-installed Office 2003, and downloaded my old settings, using the Save My Settings wizard, I now get two "error" messages, although the box does not say error. I get a box that says Microsoft Office Outlook and then the following (part of which I am going to truncate) C:\documents and settings\Tom.....\Microsoft shared\geography\mpoai9.dll is not a valid office add-in. I also get a similar one as shown in the subject line above. I can NOT get rid of these. I have tried the repair, as wel...