Double Click on file and mouse not working

Good afternoon, thanks for taking time to look at my problem.
I am trying to open a word document by double clicking on the file name in
"my documents".  Word opens, but not the document.  If you go into File and
Open, you can open the document, but the mouse cursor will not go anywhere in
the document.  I have tried to open Word in safe mode, blasted the
normal.dot, copied a normal.dot from another computer, heck I tried
disassociating doc from Word.  Nothing worked.  I even installed Windows Live
so I could uninstall it.
I'm hoping someone has fixed this problem.
Thanks for your time.

Follow up ... problem is not in Excel or other Office programs.

"Jeff Mort" wrote:

> Good afternoon, thanks for taking time to look at my problem.
> I am trying to open a word document by double clicking on the file name in
> "my documents".  Word opens, but not the document.  If you go into File and
> Open, you can open the document, but the mouse cursor will not go anywhere in
> the document.  I have tried to open Word in safe mode, blasted the
> normal.dot, copied a normal.dot from another computer, heck I tried
> disassociating doc from Word.  Nothing worked.  I even installed Windows Live
> so I could uninstall it.
> I'm hoping someone has fixed this problem.
> Thanks for your time.
That's a symptom of a Word Data Key corruption - usually because Word has
been running when updates are installed.

Run Regedit and expand by double-clicking to the key below. With DATA
selected, press DELETE. Word will automatically recreate a new key when it
is restarted.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data

Symptoms of Data Key corruption include:

   •    The mouse does not work when you use Word.
   •    You cannot open a Word document from the Search window in Windows
Vista.
   •    You cannot open a Word document from Windows Desktop Search.
   •    Word crashes when you try to start or exit Word.
   •    Word crashes when you open the Open dialog box.
   •    Word crashes when you save a document.
   •    Word crashes when you close a document.

If you feel uncomfortable editing the registry yourself, Microsoft have a
fix that will do this for you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791 and press FixIt

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Jeff Mort" <JeffMort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon, thanks for taking time to look at my problem.
> I am trying to open a word document by double clicking on the file name in
> "my documents".  Word opens, but not the document.  If you go into File
> and
> Open, you can open the document, but the mouse cursor will not go anywhere
> in
> the document.  I have tried to open Word in safe mode, blasted the
> normal.dot, copied a normal.dot from another computer, heck I tried
> disassociating doc from Word.  Nothing worked.  I even installed Windows
> Live
> so I could uninstall it.
> I'm hoping someone has fixed this problem.
> Thanks for your time.

0
Terry

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CSV File Problem

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

OWA jumping mouse

Public Folder link to Excel File

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Single click selects multiple cells

Renaming Partial File Names

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

why does my spell check not work?
My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? In what program / version "karen" <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA8883BD-0958-4AB0-93FF-F43E4FB9D176@microsoft.com... > My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? ...

Right clicking on a CListCtrl item
I have a TreeCtl object in a dialog box. I created an OnNMRclick.. override function to capture a right clicks. The problem I can't figure out is how to find the tree item that the user has right clicked on. Here's what I tried: void CRestoreFiles::OnNMRclickXYZ(NMHDR *pNMHDR, LRESULT *pResult) POINT CurPos; TVHITTESTINFO lpht; HTREEITEM RightClickItem; GetCursorPos(&CurPos); lpht.pt = CurPos; RightClickItem = TreeView_HitTest(pNMHDR->hwndFrom,&lpht); ... I figured that GetCursorPos would give me the position of the cursor where I had right clicke...