Cross-reference update problem in Word 2007

My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When I
Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a failing
cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly, even if
my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens regardless of
which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number", "Heading
number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had this
problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions or
assistance.  Thanks.

Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au naturel
in the body of the document.

"R_NY" wrote:

> My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When I
> Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
> actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a failing
> cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly, even if
> my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
> cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens regardless of
> which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number", "Heading
> number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had this
> problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions or
> assistance.  Thanks.
Try using Print Preview and then Closing it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R_NY" <RNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au
> naturel
> in the body of the document.
>
> "DeanH" wrote:
>
>> My first thought was that the Xref field was locked (Ctrl+F11) and to
>> unlock
>> them (Ctrl+Sfht+F11) but your description of then individually selecting
>> and
>> the update works stumps that idea.
>> My next thought was that the fields are in text boxes or frame? If so I
>> believe the Ctrl+A does not select these as they are on a different
>> "layer"
>> from the body text layer.
>>
>> Best of luck
>> DeanH
>>

>> "R_NY" wrote:
>>
>> > My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When
>> > Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
>> > actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a
>> > failing
>> > cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly,
>> > even if
>> > my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
>> > cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens
>> > regardless of
>> > which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number",
>> > "Heading
>> > number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had
>> > this
>> > problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions
>> > or
>> > assistance.  Thanks.

0
Doug
5/28/2010 7:04:10 AM
Thank you! This did, indeed, solve the problem.  Or more accurately stated,
this workaround is FAR simpler to do than to search for cross references and
update them individually.

While I can certainly live with this, nonetheless, there clearly is a
bug/deficiency in Word.  Does anyone know whether Microsoft is (a) aware of
it, and (b) going to fix it properly?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Try using Print Preview and then Closing it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "R_NY" <RNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au
> > naturel
> > in the body of the document.
> >
> > "DeanH" wrote:
> >
> >> My first thought was that the Xref field was locked (Ctrl+F11) and to
> >> unlock
> >> them (Ctrl+Sfht+F11) but your description of then individually selecting
> >> and
> >> the update works stumps that idea.
> >> My next thought was that the fields are in text boxes or frame? If so I
> >> believe the Ctrl+A does not select these as they are on a different
> >> "layer"
> >> from the body text layer.
> >>
> >> Best of luck
> >> DeanH

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

Update Manager
Everytime I boot up my PC a small window pops up entitled "UPDATE MANAGER". It shows two progress bars, but nothing ever happens. Why is this window popping up every tiem I turn on the computer and how do I get it to stop? It never used to do this, it just statred lately. Thankyou. tony Because you installed something which features an update manager "Omaha Tony" <OmahaTony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A08659C0-1560-4E8C-8A1C-76A5B1DBB1F8@microsoft.com... > Everytime I boot up my PC a small window pops up entitled "UP...

Outlook 2000 doesn't respond after downloading MS update!!
Luckily, my Outlook Express seems to work, but my Outlook 2000 will open, but if I click on a message or do Anything, it FREEZES. HELP!! I rely on calendar functions, other things. HOW could MS allow an update that screws up their own programs? I did restore - to no avail. I lent CD to someone, so can't do "repair." (Trying to get a hold of friend) Please help! I'm in process of job hunt & really need Outlook to function... Thanks, Sherry Did you recently apply SP3 for Office/Outlook 2000 and is Outlook 2000 configured in Internet Mail Only mode? If yes, you...

Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version?
I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I cannot find it. Where can I get one? There isn't one. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/422.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "masai" <masai_chadi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:op.tm81u5pvdvcnul@dikutoto.gv.shawcable.net... >I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I >ca...

Office 2007 trial is very slow. Is this because it's a trial
I just started using the trial version of Office 2007. It takes forever for it to open on my computer but Office 2003 opens just fine. Is this just because it's a trial or is it naturally slow because of the additional features? It's likely due to the expanded feature set and increased hardware requirement over Office 2003. rtappan wrote: > I just started using the trial version of Office 2007. It takes forever for > it to open on my computer but Office 2003 opens just fine. Is this just > because it's a trial or is it naturally slow because of the ad...

Can't edit print styles in Outlook 2007

Questiontest-outlookwebservices problem
hi all and thanks for the support. i'm facing a problem with test.outlookwebservices. notice that oulook side everything seems to be pretty good: the autodiscovery and auto-configuration of the account succeedes, the test email autoconfiguration suceedes too. when i launch the test, once it suceedes for certain services and after a while it fails for those services and suceedes for other. look the prints: here are failing the RPC tests Message : [EXCH] The UM is configured for this user in the AutoDiscover response received from https://mytest-EXC1. myt...

Problem with systemstate backup with DPM 2010
Hi! We running DPM 2010RC on a Windows 2008 R2 The Protected computer is: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790 When we installed the DPM agent the first backup of system state was successfully, so we have one restore point. But further backups in failing, the system state backup is in status “replica is inconsistent” and when I running a consistent check the job failing. In the error in DPM is: The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on sea0700smon1.xxxx.local is inconsistent with the protected data so...

Font problem
It seems that the Cambria Math font has recently acquired an extremely large Ascent and Descent. Has it perhaps always been that way and I've never noticed it before, or is it something recent, perhaps a Vista thing? Try the following code for example. For Arial and Times New Roman (and virtually all other fonts) I am getting pretty much exactly what I would expect (a TextHeight that is a bit larger than the point size) but for Cambria Math I am getting an extremely large TextHeight (I get exactly the same results using GDI32 methods). At this end (on my Vista Business laptop...

Office 2007 SP2
Has anyone else lost the little check box which is usually found next to each task in the task list in Outlook today? I'm assuming it's a bug? C. "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <seegod1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:ejYOAzcyJHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Has anyone else lost the little check box which is usually found next to > each task in the task list in Outlook today? I'm assuming it's a bug? > Nope - still there... -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level...

08 Mac Office activation problems
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Just found an article posted by michellec and I am faced with exactly the same problem - on 'activation' of the product, none of the 3 product keys seem to be correct, hence activation is unsuccessful!! Have received some help emails (and thanks Diana yours had the microsoft help number that has been good, despite the fact they can't help me and tell me I must get in touch with Digital River) but seems that what I need is another product key, and now that I'm asking for that since about 10 days, I don't get any reply ...

Send from Word
When I hit the send button in Word or Excell I get a pop up that say choose profile with Outlook in the drop down. That is the only name in the drop down. If I hit OK I get the following Message. The MAPI Spooler could not be started. Close and then restartall mail-enabled applications.MAPI 103 (0000004C7) If I choose to set up a new profile I get a Microsoft Exchange Setup Wizard. As I try to setup a new profile I come to the following, The following unrecoverable error has occured: The .DLL file for this service is either damaged or could not be found. Any ideas? Doug, What versi...

Embedding worksheet into Word
Has anyone had the experience where when they embed a worksheet into Microsoft Word, a portion of the worksheet gets cut off? Is there an easy fix to this? ...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

Autoshapes' visible problem
When I add some Rectangle autoshapes above the embeded chart, I find it's hard to control it's visibility, They maybe hide when I select some cell or activate chart. I want to know how to make them always visible no matter what I select. Thank you in advance! ^_^ Yours,fujing You need to click on the chart before you use the drawing tool. In this way the Shape and the Chart become one. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "fujing1003" <fujing1003@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1171358292.074278.135950@v33g2000cwv...

Update Query
Access 2003 XP SP2 I am having a problem with an update query. Table is in a one-to-one relationship, referentail integrity and cascading data are checked. (The fileds I want to update are not in both tables) Table name= payForward Has 15 fields ie: ID, Name, MemID, Oct , Nov, Dec, etc Oct-Sep fields are yes/no type I want to "select" a field (Oct-Sep) via a query parameter and repalce "yes" with "no". Here is my query: UPDATE payForward SET [Enter month]=No The messages I get is 'operation must use an updateable query' Wh...

Reference: many to one
I have a form in which users enter information...I keep all controls locked until the user hits a command button to unlock particular bound controls. This works really well, but becomes cumbersome to code when new controls are added; e.g., adding the new control to the several event procedures attached to the form. Can anyone tell me how to refer to a group of controls once, e.g., give them a name; and then only have to refer to that name in the future? alex Alex I'm having trouble visualizing your situation. It sounds like you are describing a form that is being regularly modified....

How do I lock a chart so it will not update?
That's the question. I have my data in Excel and the chart in Excel but not all the data cells are used. Everytimg I open the chart it wants to update and I want it to stay the same. Any ideas on how to lock the chart? Hi Just a few ideas: You could lock the cells that are shown in the chart. Or you could copy the cells and paste as values (assuming formulas were used that update when other cells change). -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "Locking a Chart" wrote: > That's the question. I have my data in Excel and the chart in ...

Microsoft Update 'left behinds'
Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows. While this will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and files that XP-Pro no longer needs? If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim some HD space? Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left behind' files? Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what i...