Cross-reference update problem in Word 2007

My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When I
Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a failing
cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly, even if
my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens regardless of
which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number", "Heading
number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had this
problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions or
assistance.  Thanks.

Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au naturel
in the body of the document.

"R_NY" wrote:

> My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When I
> Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
> actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a failing
> cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly, even if
> my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
> cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens regardless of
> which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number", "Heading
> number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had this
> problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions or
> assistance.  Thanks.
Try using Print Preview and then Closing it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R_NY" <RNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au
> naturel
> in the body of the document.
>
> "DeanH" wrote:
>
>> My first thought was that the Xref field was locked (Ctrl+F11) and to
>> unlock
>> them (Ctrl+Sfht+F11) but your description of then individually selecting
>> and
>> the update works stumps that idea.
>> My next thought was that the fields are in text boxes or frame? If so I
>> believe the Ctrl+A does not select these as they are on a different
>> "layer"
>> from the body text layer.
>>
>> Best of luck
>> DeanH
>>

>> "R_NY" wrote:
>>
>> > My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When
>> > Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
>> > actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a
>> > failing
>> > cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly,
>> > even if
>> > my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
>> > cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens
>> > regardless of
>> > which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number",
>> > "Heading
>> > number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had
>> > this
>> > problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions
>> > or
>> > assistance.  Thanks.

0
Doug
5/28/2010 7:04:10 AM
Thank you! This did, indeed, solve the problem.  Or more accurately stated,
this workaround is FAR simpler to do than to search for cross references and
update them individually.

While I can certainly live with this, nonetheless, there clearly is a
bug/deficiency in Word.  Does anyone know whether Microsoft is (a) aware of
it, and (b) going to fix it properly?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Try using Print Preview and then Closing it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "R_NY" <RNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au
> > naturel
> > in the body of the document.
> >
> > "DeanH" wrote:
> >
> >> My first thought was that the Xref field was locked (Ctrl+F11) and to
> >> unlock
> >> them (Ctrl+Sfht+F11) but your description of then individually selecting
> >> and
> >> the update works stumps that idea.
> >> My next thought was that the fields are in text boxes or frame? If so I
> >> believe the Ctrl+A does not select these as they are on a different
> >> "layer"
> >> from the body text layer.
> >>
> >> Best of luck
> >> DeanH

Word Decides to Not Save Documents
We're having a problem where users will be working on files and Word will just STOP saving changes. A user will work for an hour updating a document and will click the save button. After clicking save, they get no error, everything looks fine, and they close the document. But the hour worth of changes are not saved and the Modified Date doesn't change. If the SAME user double clicks and opens the file they see their changes but if someone else opens the file they get the old version. Sometimes if they just close all their open word documents the changes will be flushed a...

Awesome list of Excel/Word/Powerpoint shortcuts!
Hi, everybody! I recently discovered a great keyboard shortcut list for the office applications. It seems to have practically every shortcut imaginable and it fits on one page too! I printed it out and put on the wall next to my monitor -- just great!. Thought you would appreciate it... Here's the link to the PDF file. Hit print and you're ready to go. http://www.prihodko.com/msoffice/Office_2003_Shortcuts.pdf Lindy Hi Lindy, For Excel, I like Chip Pearson's Excel Keyboard Shortcuts page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm There is also a d...

How do I print 90 different labels in excel, word or publisher ?
I am trying to print off 90 different labels (small) but all I seem to be able to do is print off a whole page of the same item. The items are Ref 1001, Ref 1002, Ref 1003 etc. Can anyone help or got good ideas Thanks Johns This sounds like a Mail Merge operation. Someone will be along with the instructions soon. I'd help but I don't do Mail Merges and am not familiar with the operation. -- Don Vancouver, USA "johns-house" <johns-house@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D26A7D12-5C8B-45FC-AB3C-AF40B02AFB5D@microsoft.com... >I am trying to p...

Using insert to paste a row--how done in Excel 2007
Hi, In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a row instead of what I have copied. I want it the old way! How do I do it? -- Thanks, PTweety R-click, Insert Copied Cells. pickytweety wrote: > Hi, > In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a > new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it > automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a r...

Merge to email w/Word and Outlook 2002 security issue
I am trying to merge email using Word and Outlook 2002. This merge consists of about 3000 recipients. When I commence the merge I get an Outlook Security warning that tells me that some outside program is trying to send email using my Outlook profile and I have to click Yes or No. It procedes to ask me for ever single recipient... I'm not going to sit there and say yes for 3000 people. Do you know of a setting somewhere that I can change to not ask me everytime? Thanks, Brian What service pack(s) have you applied? Did you choose HTML as the message format for the merge? -- ...

if isblank problem
I have written following formula on technical sheet of my workbook =if(isblank(q31:q36),0,sum(q31:q36)/4) which gives me correct answer true version ie 0 but when try to enter on summary sheet as =if(isblank(technical!q31:q36),0,sum(technical!q31:q36)/4) i get false version any ideas why? Thanks Tina Hi try =if(countblank(technical!q31:q36)=6,0,sum(technical!q31:q36)/4) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany tina wrote: > I have written following formula on technical sheet of my workbook > =if(isblank(q31:q36),0,sum(q31:q36)/4) > which gives me correct answer true version ...

updating prices manually
Hello, Just upgraded to Money 2006 from Money 2003. I am tracking several investments for which prices cannot be updated online. In 2003, it was possible to enter the daily price manually by right-clicking on the investment name and entering the price for a specific date. I can't find this function in 2006. Does anybody know where it is, or if it still exists? Thanks. I should add that after right-clicking on the investment name, in 2003 I used to click on "Update Price", after which I could enter the price and date. "paula" wrote: > Hello, > > J...

WMP 11 error C00D1163 (after update KB971513)
Windows Media Player 11 will not play DVDs. I always get error C00D1163 "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card." DVDs I have owned for years are now impossible to play (so are rentals). I am having the same problem as others in this forum, although my system configuration is different -- which indicates this is a widespread problem. It is an interesting coincidence that my problem started immediately ...

Internet Mail Service Problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C49F0B.EE172F50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Team, For quite sometime my Internet Mail Service for Exchange 5.5 get stopped = of its own. My present environment setup is:-=20 1. I have 5 Exchange administrative console located at 3 three = different building.=20 2. My OS is Windows 2000 Server with SP4 3. Exchange 5.5 with SP4=20 4.Running NAV for Exchange built 2.18=20 After going through application logs, I found following E...

Can I make a database in Word with Excel Data
I know this may be a "DUH" question, but... I am making a list of area dentists that I have copied and pasted of of the Dex website into Excel. I am wondering if I can take this inf and make a database in Word for printing address labels. Does anyon know if this can be done, and HOW?:confused -- Myn77 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myn777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2958 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49283 For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the...

New Project, Different Problem: AutoFilter?
I'm creating a database of outside trainers. Each trainer can handle multiple categories of training. It is essential that the training manager be able to create lists for specific categories as the need arises, as well as being able to do more standard sorts such as Name. Rather than making multiple entries for each Trainer (one for each category, which may reach 10+), I'd like to allow multiple entries in the Category column utilizing a key for each category. It seems that AutoFilter would be the ideal method for creating this db. Well, actually Advanced AutoFilter, since...

Access ODBC problem: Excel cannot get float columns
I need some help I'm trying to get Access external data from an Excel workbook, using the MS Query feature. Everything is ok except when I try to fetch some tables that ODBC refuses to get data from. The error message tells that the MS Access ODBC driver doesn't allow some columns to be transmited because of its number of characters. The most strange thing is that I can see the data from MS Query correctly, but I caannot get it back from Excel. After some tries, I thing it occurs only with real typed columns. Can anybody help me? I use Windows XP Home + Office 2000 spanish versio...

Invalid References in formula
Hi, I got this error message when i close my workbook: "A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references. Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name and cell reference." The funny thing is that this error message pop out only when i save and close the workbook on certain worksheets. E.g. I have worksheet a, b, c and d. When i am either on sheet a and d, i saved the file and close the book at that sheet, the error message did not pop out. However when I performed similar actions on either of the other 2 sheets, the error m...

Thread Problems
Found this from MSDN->codeguru, can't seem to figure out the problem.... class ThreadClass { protected: HANDLE m_hThread; //Thread handle bool m_bActive; //activity indicator DWORD m_lpId; //Thread ID public: ThreadClass(){} virtual ~ThreadClass(){Kill();} //Thread Management bool CreateNewThread() { m_hThread = CreateThread(NULL, 0, (LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE)_ThreadFunc, (LPVOID) this, 0, (LPDWORD) &m_lpId); if (m_hThread == NULL) return false; m_bActive = true; return true; }; //Wait for thread to end bool Wait() {return (WAIT_OBJECT_0 == WaitForSingleObject(m_hT...

View Only Admin
I am having problems with the view only admin delegation. I put the appropriate group into the local admin on each exchange box but after a couple of days exchange removes this group. What is causing this and how do fix it so it leaves this security group in there. Thanks for your help -- Justin This can happen due to conflicting policies or rules. Try to enable Auditing for the security log and enable loging for Exchange in system manger and check results. "Justin" wrote: > I am having problems with the view only admin delegation. I put the > appropriate group ...

Internal Mail Problem
Hi all, I want to restrict some users to send & receive mail from internal user only, so I try to remove their smtp address and leave the x.400 address in the properties. This works well in Exchange 5.5 environment. But, how can I do this in Exchange 2003 environment, I cannot removed the smtp address in Exchange 2003, Please help, thanks. On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 00:46:12 +0800, <a> wrote: >Hi all, I want to restrict some users to send & receive mail from internal >user only, so I try to remove their smtp address and leave the x.400 address >in the properties. ...

Fix: Visio 2007 x64 Hangs During Database model Creation
I'm posting this here, so hopefully others will have an easier time finding the solution than I did... On Windows XP (x64) Visio 2007 hangs when I try to create a new database model diagram. Performing a "repair" doesn't help at all. For some reason, turning off the "Print Spooler" Service makes things work just fine. I have no idea why this is, but it did the trick. -- Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C# http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins Hi Chris, Thanks for sharing this information. Do you see the hang when creating other new draw...

problems with windows live mail
when windows live mail starts to download from my gmail pop account I always a box pop up saying "Internet Security Warning" dialog box "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. "The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value." "Do you want to continue using this server?" I click yes and it works, connects and downloads messages. Until the email client is close and restarted that is. Then once again on the first access the security certificate message is displayed. How do I get this to w...

Outlook attachment problems
Dear Our oversea office sender using Outlook Sending message (HTML) insert a picture sending message to my office, when I have received the attachment auto duplicate one set in the message. I have asked the sender try remove the picture and FORWARD to my e-mail, but the attachment sill in the message and auto duplicate one set attachment. Out overseas office using MS SBS , user setup WG mode for outlook download message. I am not sure which part problems or virus effect. Please advice how to solve out the problems ASAP. JACKIE ...

Problem Printing w/Calendar Assistant
Every time I attempt to print a calendar using the Assistant it prints one page and then stops. I have tried to print multiple pages of a weekly calendar and each time it prints one week and then stops. I love the layout and colors of the calendar but I can not get more than one weekly calendar to print no matter how many weeks I select to be printed. Calendar Printing Assistant is known to be quirky. It works best with Outlook 2007. I cant say i know a fix for your issue. However, if you cant work around for this issue or you need a better printing solution, consider using...

Interesting problem in Money 2005 and MSN link
Money 2005 Premium. I swore I'd never link to MSN on the web but yesterday somehow got there by trying to set up an MBNA card. I finally figured it wasn't worth it so I removed everything - passport and all data. Here is the interesting thing. Previously, my mny file was 46MB after a shrink. After removing everything, it shrank to 41MB. I didn't really care since I had a backup but I decided to explore further. In putting everything through MSN and then disabling it all, it reversed the sign on 2 transactions (one in 1998, the other in 2003) but nothing else was touched. All 22,...

Very strange problems while running Great Plains on workstations
I notice that a few workstations in an office I support are having problems when they run Great Plains. Excel, Outlook, Word and Dynamics.exe are showing in the Application event log as being Hanging or Faulting. I also see Fault Bucket errors, but when I search online I cannot find any information online. Here is one of the Fault Bucket errors: 3:15:35 pm 28-Sep-06 Application Hang None 1001 N/A Fault bucket 296734104. Also, these workstations are experiencing problems printing PDF files. Has anyone out there seen this behavior and if so, how can these problems be fixed? Thank you, ...

Create a new instance of a class that is a reference
Hi all, I am trying to make a class that when you create a 2nd instance the second instance will be a reference to the first. Public Class ClassA Private Shared tableList As Hashtable Public myInt as integer = 0 Public Sub New() MyBase.New() InitializeValues() End Sub Private Function openTable() As Boolean If (tableList Is Nothing) Then tableList = New Hashtable() End If If (tableList.ContainsKey(TABLE)) Then SetReference(Me, tableList(TABLE)) OpenCount += 1 Else ...

Updateing data when closing forms
I am using MS Access 2000 I have a table that has several required fields. I developed a form to add records to the table. In addition to the table fields, the form has a form-close button constructed with the button wizard. When I enter a record that does not have the required information and close the form with the “Close Window” (X) button on the tool bar, the appropriate error message appears telling me that there is missing data. (Just what I want) When I use the close button on the form, the form closes with no message and without adding the record. How do I give the button on the f...

Spinning Beach Ball
I seem to notice a correlation between seeing the spinning beach ball more often after launching MS Word for OSX. I removed the PDFMaker.Lib and this improved the performance a great deal, but still noticing the SBB more often after launching Word. Anyone know about this? Many Word issues are related to corrupt Word Settings or Normal Template. You could try removing the Word Settings file, then testing. The Normal Template could be renamed, then test. Be sure Word is closed before removing or changing any files. You could also consider running the Remove Office utility and reinstalling Offi...