Cross-reference update problem in Word 2007

My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When I
Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a failing
cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly, even if
my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens regardless of
which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number", "Heading
number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had this
problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions or
assistance.  Thanks.

Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au naturel
in the body of the document.

"R_NY" wrote:

> My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When I
> Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
> actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a failing
> cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly, even if
> my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
> cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens regardless of
> which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number", "Heading
> number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had this
> problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions or
> assistance.  Thanks.
Try using Print Preview and then Closing it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R_NY" <RNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au
> naturel
> in the body of the document.
>
> "DeanH" wrote:
>
>> My first thought was that the Xref field was locked (Ctrl+F11) and to
>> unlock
>> them (Ctrl+Sfht+F11) but your description of then individually selecting
>> and
>> the update works stumps that idea.
>> My next thought was that the fields are in text boxes or frame? If so I
>> believe the Ctrl+A does not select these as they are on a different
>> "layer"
>> from the body text layer.
>>
>> Best of luck
>> DeanH
>>

>> "R_NY" wrote:
>>
>> > My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When
>> > Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
>> > actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a
>> > failing
>> > cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly,
>> > even if
>> > my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
>> > cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens
>> > regardless of
>> > which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number",
>> > "Heading
>> > number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had
>> > this
>> > problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions
>> > or
>> > assistance.  Thanks.

0
Doug
5/28/2010 7:04:10 AM
Thank you! This did, indeed, solve the problem.  Or more accurately stated,
this workaround is FAR simpler to do than to search for cross references and
update them individually.

While I can certainly live with this, nonetheless, there clearly is a
bug/deficiency in Word.  Does anyone know whether Microsoft is (a) aware of
it, and (b) going to fix it properly?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Try using Print Preview and then Closing it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "R_NY" <RNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au
> > naturel
> > in the body of the document.
> >
> > "DeanH" wrote:
> >
> >> My first thought was that the Xref field was locked (Ctrl+F11) and to
> >> unlock
> >> them (Ctrl+Sfht+F11) but your description of then individually selecting
> >> and
> >> the update works stumps that idea.
> >> My next thought was that the fields are in text boxes or frame? If so I
> >> believe the Ctrl+A does not select these as they are on a different
> >> "layer"
> >> from the body text layer.
> >>
> >> Best of luck
> >> DeanH

Dynamic Table Should Always Maintain Borders When Data Is Updated
Dynamic Table Should Always Maintain Borders An Alignment When Data Is Updated Included in the Cases in Which The Updated Cells Were Previously Formatted And Customized By The User ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/communi...

Export WPX4 Address book to MS Word 2007?
Is it possible to transfer my WordPerfect X4 address book to Word 2007 for use in addressing envelopes etc.? I have the home and school version of 07. Thanks, Rich Mercer Word doesn't have an address book. It utilises the contacts list of Outlook, which of course the student version of Office does not include. It *may* be possible to extract the data from your WP address book to a Word table to use as a data source for mail merge, but I suspect you may have to do this from Word Perfect. If you still have access to WP, check if it has an option to export to a comma delim...

Configuring Outlook 2007
Hi, I was trying to configure Outlook 2007 to access my mails. I am facing this problem continuosly- If I try to access my hotmail account, it always goes into Offline mode, though I am able to access it through Windows Live. Once or twice, I have been able to download few mails, but never more than than that. The OS is Vista. Thanks ________________________________________ " If you think you can, and if you think you can't, then you are right"- Henry ford Are you using the Outlook Connector? if not, you need it - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

outlook 2007 no problem receiving email but problem sending
I have no problem sending and receiving emails when connected at work but from home, I can receive new messages but there is a problem sending. I get the message Sending reported error 0x80042109. Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue receiving this message contact your server administrator or ISP. Any ideas please. Thanks, Charlie Have you verified with your corporate mail admin already that the settings have been correct for usage outside of the company network and if this is indeed fully supported by your corporation? If so,...

Public Function Problems
Hi, I am very new to VBA and am attempting to use a public Function withou much luck. What I need is I have 6 test results in columns C to H and I need Public Function to add the scores up make certain divisions and outpu a mark e.g Merit for the score they achieved. I have attempted it i the code below and have chopped and changed thing so much I am no totally confused. This is the code... Code ------------------- Option Explicit Public Function Grade(cell As Range) As String Dim dblTest1 As Double Dim dblTest2 As Double Dim dblTest3 As Double Dim dblTest4 As Dou...

Outlook 2003 Outlook Today Problem
I installed Office 2003 Standard over top of Office 2000 Professional. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Outlook 2003 will not let me permanently customize Outlook Today. When I click on customize it presents the menus but is unable to find the graphics such as Winter, Summer, etc. It lets me select summer for instance and when I save the changes I get the summer scheme. But, when I exit Outlook and return my saved preferences are gone. There also appears to be graphic place holders on the Outlook Today screen, no 'x's just blank little squares. In the black date bar o...

Reference Footnotes
How do I enter a footnote at the bottom of a page? The footnotes are important--it's for a college internship assignment. Thanks! -- kasper kasper <kasper@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I enter a footnote at the bottom of a page? The footnotes are > important--it's for a college internship assignment. Thanks! You have to create footnotes manually. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Office X 10.1.6 Update: Fonts missing?
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3182711903_8674241 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit After updating to 10.1.6, some fonts are missing (KidPrint, Lucida handwriting, etc.) Any ideas? --B_3182711903_8674241 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Office X 10.1.6 Update: Fonts missing?</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FON...

Updating PO Line Qtys should not remove existing AA with 100% Assi
Assuming AA is setup and you have at least 1 Dimension linked to an Account, and that Dimension has a Dimension Code attached. 1. Go into PO Entry 2. Enter a line item 3. Go into Purchasing Item Detail entry and make sure your Inventory Account is an account linked to your AA Class and therefore Dimension. 4. Enter AA information against this account on the PO - using the default of 100% Assignment. 5. Return back to the PO Entry window. 6. Change the Qty on the PO Line to be 1 greater (or less). Press tab to move off the field. Actual Result: The already assigned AA data for that line...

address book group problem
I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at the bottom of the small window one at a time. Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows one entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight ehtries which I put in. Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the eight entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as if I lose the email details of these entries it will not be easy to get them again. TIA Pete It might be easier to start over, but I'll leave that up to you....

Can't Change Text direction in office 2007
Hi, i have installed office 2007 ( Pro Plus Edition) on a machine. i have faced a strange thing that i have never seen. the option of changing text direction from right to left or left to right does not exist. it come by default with ltr direction. What's the Problem ? Hi, You need to enable a right-to-left language, such as Hebrew or Arabic. To do this, perform the following steps: 1. Close Word. 2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft Office, click Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings. 3. In the "Available...

outlook sending problems
Hi, I am having problems in sending out emails using outlook 2002. From time to time, outlook reports that the mail was failed to be sent with an error code "0x80040109", and the email stays at the Outbox. However, the email receipient will still RECEIVE the email sometimes. This is really annoying as I keep resending emails when the error occurs, which creates a flooding to the receipient. I did remove all the add-in according to the only suggestion I could find through google. The problem still exists. I switched to Outlook 2003, no luck, though I don't see the error...

Dexterity
Dear Sir/Mis I would like to know if there is anyway i can overcome the following: I've defined a library(COM) in my dictionary. The methods in that .DLL file which are defined as Strings, or take in String parameters, all show as "anonymous" datatypes with "anonymous" parameters in class browser. And therefore am not able to use em. System generates a Datatype conflict error on runtime. The DateTime datatype on the other hand works fine. NB:I've searched the MSDN, and the internet over and over. Thank you If it shows up as anonymous in the Dexterity clas...

Problem persisting toolbar state
I'm trying to use SaveBarState("BarState") and LoadBarState("BarState") to remember the state of my toolbars. This works fine for all my toolbars except 2. Checking the registry reveals that the 2 bars are not listed (at least there is no matching BarID entry). When I show them from my view menu the first toolbar (IDR_MAINFRAME) shows up docked to the right side, not where I left it. And the second toolbar (IDR_SECOND_TOOLBAR) toolbar shows up on the correct row, i.e. I moved it down to form a second row, but has moved back to its original horizontal position wh...

mail merge problems #2
I have Vista and Office 2007. When I try to do a mail merge with Publisher and a comma-separated-values file exported from Outlook, I get the message, "An operation cannot be completed because of database engine errors." It used to work fine, but not any more. Help! There isn't a solution specific to 2007, but this article addresses your error and probably will work You receive a "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or data base engine failures" error message when you try to perform a mail merge by using an Outlook 2003 contact folder in Publish...

Blank Project on MS Project Pro 2007 startup
Does anyone have a code snippet for closing the blank project that is opened when opening project? Or is there a checkbox I have missed that will do this. Hello WJM, You can set Project to open the last file on startup in Tools > Options, General tab. However, I believe there is currently an error in Project 2007 where opening the last file on startup causes an incorrect error message. When you open an existing project plan the Project1 file is closed for you. I guess I'm not sure that a clicking a button to run a macro is any better than using the built in close ...

Strange outlook receiving email problem
New to this forum, hopefully you guys can help. One of my customers was having a weird issue... the whole building is on a network/domain. Everyone is set up to use outlook/ pop3. Nobody is having problems except two employees. For some reason they can't receive emails from each other. Using web mail everything works fine. Creating emails from the web mail the email is sent and received in outlook. But sending emails from outlook do not make it to the other persons outlook. Now the weird part is that these two people communicate just fine with everyone else. They can send and receive emai...

problem customizing toolbars
Hi everyone I'm trying to customize my outlook toolbars (in the new message area). When I click View > Toolbars > the customize option is greyed out. Not sure why. All I want to do is add and remove some buttons to the toolbars. I'm using Outlook 2000. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps Helen Place your cursor in the message first; not in the Header lines. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Helen" <anonym...

Can't save new contacts in Outlook 2007
When I try to save new contacts in Outlook 2007, I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid." It's been suggested that I clear the forms cache but cannot find how to do that in 2007 (recommended link was for 2003 version). Can anyone help with that or is there another possible solution? P.S. I am working off line in Outlook, if that matters. Also, I can revise and save revisions to existing contacts with no problem. HJ Why are you starting a new thread? Suggest following the recommendations in ...

using interop to create document word 2007
I am using c# and word interop to open a mailmerge document fill it in and then display it to the user. Once i display it the c# app has nothing more to do with the word document. The user can edit it as needed and then save it as a pdf and that is fine. The issue is I would like to set the default path for the document and it could be a network drive or sharepoint and will change every time also it will never be where the original document was opened. ...

CRM4
Hi, On CRM4, I obtain an ASP.NET error while trying to access the website of my default organization. The message error is the following : "Caller does not have enough privilege to set CallerOriginToken to the specified value". I didn't find anything on the Web... Does anyone have an idea ? Fabien Majurel I have the same problem, I am going to reinstall and see if that helps Mike "Fabien Majurel" wrote: > Hi, > > On CRM4, I obtain an ASP.NET error while trying to access the website of my > default organization. The message error is the following...

Exchange 5.5 internal site problem
Hi, I am using exch 5.5 with 2 srvrs in a single sit , with a mail content scanner enigine on a diff srvr , when i forward mail fm content scanner to first srvr , the mail flow works properly , but when i forward it to second srvr ( which was buileded later) , the recipients on 1 st server dont get internet mails . Can anyone HElp. ...

Simple update Query
Hi, I'm sure I've done this in the past but can't figure how. I have 2 tables "A" and "B" both with the following fields Town; Council I want to update Table "A"'s Council field with the Council information in table "B" Could someone please give me the SQL code to do this. Thanks in advance UPDATE TableA INNER JOIN TableB ON TableA.Town = TableB.Town SET TableA.Council = TableB.Council. IF you can only do this using design view -- Open a new query -- Select the two tables -- Set up a join by dragging from town to town -- add the Cou...

birthday reminders problem
outlook 97: my reminders are not working when i try to access them by clicking their icons in the contacts folder i get the nysterious message "Outlook could not start because a location to send or receive mail could not be found" this is doubly weird because i do not use outlook to send or receive mail (i use outlook express) and sending/receiving mail is not what i am trying to do anyway another problem - i suspect it is related - my tasks do not appear in my calendar any more. All this began after I archived my calendar. I have tried re-installing outlook but it made...

Passing a reference to a textbox to a function
I wrote a generic module so I could reuse it. I pass a textbox to the function, and later on the function updates the value in the textbox that is passed into it. What I can't understand is that Me.txtPressIdLink is Null in Form_Current(). I am trying to pass a reference to the text box, not the Me.txtPressIdLink.value. I guess it uses the default (which is the value), but I want it to pass a reference to the txtPressIdLink control. Thanks. FORM CODE: Private Sub Form_Current() 'Init the Press Navigation variables Call init_PressNavigation(Me!pkJobID, Me.txtPressIdLink) ...