Corrupted files

My laptop computer recently had a mother board that fried and had to get a
new one. Before taking the computer in for repair, I had all of my documents
backed up on DVDs. When I reinstalled Office 2007, I receive error messages
on some documents saying that the file is corrupted. Is there any way to
recover the data on this corrupted file? I have tried to open the files by
using plain text but all I get is scrambled letters and numbers and signs.

Try opening them with WordPad or Open Office. But to see how badly corrupt
they are (presuming they are docx format), rename them with a .zip extension
and then unzip the files. They should unzip into several xml files: if they
don't, then the documents are beyond rescue. If they are doc format, try the
Open and Repair option in Word.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"miscrosoftuser" <miscrosoftuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My laptop computer recently had a mother board that fried and had to get a
> new one. Before taking the computer in for repair, I had all of my
> documents
> backed up on DVDs. When I reinstalled Office 2007, I receive error
> messages
> on some documents saying that the file is corrupted. Is there any way to
> recover the data on this corrupted file? I have tried to open the files by
> using plain text but all I get is scrambled letters and numbers and signs.

0
Terry
2/20/2010 4:00:12 PM
I have downloaded Open Office and did not have luck with opening some of the
files. I tried opening files in WordPad and again, didnt have much luck.

How do you rename the file to a zip extension? When I tried to do a "save
as" it did not give me that option.

I think my data is a lost cause as this point :(

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> Try opening them with WordPad or Open Office. But to see how badly corrupt
> they are (presuming they are docx format), rename them with a .zip extension
> and then unzip the files. They should unzip into several xml files: if they
> don't, then the documents are beyond rescue. If they are doc format, try the
> Open and Repair option in Word.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "miscrosoftuser" <miscrosoftuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My laptop computer recently had a mother board that fried and had to get a
> > new one. Before taking the computer in for repair, I had all of my
> > documents
> > backed up on DVDs. When I reinstalled Office 2007, I receive error
> > messages
> > on some documents saying that the file is corrupted. Is there any way to
> > recover the data on this corrupted file? I have tried to open the files by
> > using plain text but all I get is scrambled letters and numbers and signs.
>
> .

View the file in a Windows Explorer window (My Computer or Computer). Click
the filename twice (slowly, don't double-click) or right-click and choose
Rename. Select the extension and change it.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

>I have downloaded Open Office and did not have luck with opening some of
>the
> files. I tried opening files in WordPad and again, didnt have much luck.
>
> How do you rename the file to a zip extension? When I tried to do a "save
> as" it did not give me that option.
>
> I think my data is a lost cause as this point :(
>
> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>
>> Try opening them with WordPad or Open Office. But to see how badly
>> corrupt
>> they are (presuming they are docx format), rename them with a .zip
>> extension
>> and then unzip the files. They should unzip into several xml files: if
>> they
>> don't, then the documents are beyond rescue. If they are doc format, try
>> the
>> Open and Repair option in Word.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>>
>> "miscrosoftuser" <miscrosoftuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > My laptop computer recently had a mother board that fried and had to
>> > get a
>> > new one. Before taking the computer in for repair, I had all of my
>> > documents
>> > backed up on DVDs. When I reinstalled Office 2007, I receive error
>> > messages
>> > on some documents saying that the file is corrupted. Is there any way
>> > recover the data on this corrupted file? I have tried to open the files
>> > by
>> > using plain text but all I get is scrambled letters and numbers and
>> > signs.
>>
>> .

0
Suzanne
2/21/2010 5:10:31 PM
You rename it in Windows Explorer. First you must make sure that your
Tools/"Folder Options"/View setting "Hide Extensions for known file types" is
unchecked (if you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt). Then right-click the
".docx" file in Explorer and select Rename from the drop-down list (or click
on the filename twice in slow succession) and overwrite the file extension
with ".zip".

The problem remains: how to repair the corrupted part. In my case, it
appears to be the /word/document.xml, which can be opened in a browser but
not in Word.

"miscrosoftuser" wrote:

> I have downloaded Open Office and did not have luck with opening some of the
> files. I tried opening files in WordPad and again, didnt have much luck.
>
> How do you rename the file to a zip extension? When I tried to do a "save
> as" it did not give me that option.
>
> I think my data is a lost cause as this point :(
>
> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>
> > Try opening them with WordPad or Open Office. But to see how badly corrupt
> > they are (presuming they are docx format), rename them with a .zip extension
> > and then unzip the files. They should unzip into several xml files: if they
> > don't, then the documents are beyond rescue. If they are doc format, try the
> > Open and Repair option in Word.
> >
> > --
> > Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
> >
> > "miscrosoftuser" <miscrosoftuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My laptop computer recently had a mother board that fried and had to get a
> > > new one. Before taking the computer in for repair, I had all of my
> > > documents
> > > backed up on DVDs. When I reinstalled Office 2007, I receive error
> > > messages
> > > on some documents saying that the file is corrupted. Is there any way to
> > > recover the data on this corrupted file? I have tried to open the files by
> > > using plain text but all I get is scrambled letters and numbers and signs.
> >
> > .

Or select it (in Windows Explorer) and press F2.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> View the file in a Windows Explorer window (My Computer or Computer).
> Click the filename twice (slowly, don't double-click) or right-click and
> choose Rename. Select the extension and change it.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "miscrosoftuser" <miscrosoftuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:B84B83CF-2A26-4467-84B2-B74B98AED639@microsoft.com...
>>I have downloaded Open Office and did not have luck with opening some of
>>the
>> files. I tried opening files in WordPad and again, didnt have much luck.
>>
>> How do you rename the file to a zip extension? When I tried to do a "save
>> as" it did not give me that option.
>>
>> I think my data is a lost cause as this point :(
>>
>> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>>
>>> Try opening them with WordPad or Open Office. But to see how badly
>>> corrupt
>>> they are (presuming they are docx format), rename them with a .zip
>>> extension
>>> and then unzip the files. They should unzip into several xml files: if
>>> they
>>> don't, then the documents are beyond rescue. If they are doc format, try
>>> the
>>> Open and Repair option in Word.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>>>
>>> "miscrosoftuser" <miscrosoftuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message
>>>
>>> .

0
Terry
2/21/2010 5:51:06 PM
You can open an xml file with almost any text editor. Of course, using an
xml editor will most give you some advantages as you can probably reformat
the xml from 1 long line of text to a nice outline where you can easily see
the open and close tags (the things between < and >).

Depending on where the error was located, it is sometimes enough to just
remove one or two elements, like for example a bad behaving table, to
recover everything in your document but the bad behaving item.

Yves

"tooolnut" <tooolnut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You rename it in Windows Explorer. First you must make sure that your
> Tools/"Folder Options"/View setting "Hide Extensions for known file types"
> is
> unchecked (if you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt). Then right-click
> the
> ".docx" file in Explorer and select Rename from the drop-down list (or
> click
> on the filename twice in slow succession) and overwrite the file extension
> with ".zip".
>
> The problem remains: how to repair the corrupted part. In my case, it
> appears to be the /word/document.xml, which can be opened in a browser but
> not in Word.
>
> "miscrosoftuser" wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded Open Office and did not have luck with opening some of
>> the
>> files. I tried opening files in WordPad and again, didnt have much luck.
>>
>> How do you rename the file to a zip extension? When I tried to do a "save
>> as" it did not give me that option.
>>
>> I think my data is a lost cause as this point :(
>>
>> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>>
>> > Try opening them with WordPad or Open Office. But to see how badly
>> > corrupt
>> > they are (presuming they are docx format), rename them with a .zip
>> > extension
>> > and then unzip the files. They should unzip into several xml files: if
>> > they
>> > don't, then the documents are beyond rescue. If they are doc format,
>> > try the
>> > Open and Repair option in Word.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>> >
>> > "miscrosoftuser" <miscrosoftuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message
>> >
>> > .

0
Yves
2/22/2010 9:44:11 AM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I was still unsuccessful on being
able to open the files.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> Or select it (in Windows Explorer) and press F2.
>
> Terry
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > View the file in a Windows Explorer window (My Computer or Computer).
> > Click the filename twice (slowly, don't double-click) or right-click and
> > choose Rename. Select the extension and change it.
> >
> > --
> > Suzanne S. Barnhill
> > Microsoft MVP (Word)
> > Words into Type
> > Fairhope, Alabama USA
> > http://word.mvps.org
> >
> > "miscrosoftuser" <miscrosoftuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:B84B83CF-2A26-4467-84B2-B74B98AED639@microsoft.com...
> >>I have downloaded Open Office and did not have luck with opening some of
> >>the
> >> files. I tried opening files in WordPad and again, didnt have much luck.
> >>
> >> How do you rename the file to a zip extension? When I tried to do a "save
> >> as" it did not give me that option.
> >>
> >> I think my data is a lost cause as this point :(

> .

Converting Claris Impact files (old Apple files) to M'soft Visio"
Hello I understand the the best way to access old Claris Impact files are to convert using m'soft visio. I'm completely new to this application & will be grateful if anyone can take me throughm the process of doing this. I've had a look at the Versiontracker website on salvaging claris impact files but I couldn't work out how it could help me! I really need some step by step help. I've got Visio 2007 installed on my XP Pro computer Many thanks Perhaps this link might help: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Orbital+Successfully+Completes+File+Converter+to+Allow+Cla...

fopen for a network path file
hey ppl, can u pls help me out on this.i am able to easily open a file with fopen in a network path but when i use it as a service with the same fopen function it relly doesnt work.if i write log for the function it says not able to open the file? can u tell why is that so???? why this discrepany when i use it as a windows service and not in an application? pls help me out thanks!!! On Sep 26, 5:06 pm, sriram bala <sriramga...@gmail.com> wrote: > hey ppl, > > can u pls help me out on this.i am able to easily open a file with > fopen in a network path but when i use it as a...

Deserialize an XML file with multiple namespaces...
Hopefully I can ask this question without regaling you kind people in too many gory details. Here's what I'm trying to do: - I have a local XML file with a .GPX extension which I downloaded from www.geocaching.com. - The file contains a bunch of elements called <WPT> - Within the WPT elements are a number of other elements <time>, <sym>, <groundspeak:name>... - The non-qualified elements come from a schema/namespace at http://www.topografix.com/GPX/ - The qualified elements come from a schema/namespace at http://www.groundspeak.com/cache - I ran xsd.exe with th...

Display As = File as & (address in parens)
I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and something changed. I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does. In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)". But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH". In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the default: name AND email address. It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping there'...

'Some' Word files suddently corrupted
Just today, when I attempted to open some older MS Word (2003) files (in MS Word 2003), a dialog box appeared requesting the type of encoding required. The text appeared all jumbled and included numerous meaningless characters, rather than the original English text. I had recently installed OpenOffice 3.1 in an attempt to open some older OpenOffice documents. I uninstalled OpenOffice but the problem remains? What has happened and is there a reasonable 'cure?' Do the file icons appear to be different than what they were before? It may be that the file association has been...

update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file
I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file, including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have a few questions: Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!) I did search the web some and found the following that looks interesting: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadI...

double opening files
When I try to open an Excel file, MS Excel seems to open the document twice, thereby creating an error the second time it opens and will only open a read-only document saying someone else has it open. Is this is BUG and is there a PATCH I can download? This is with MS Excel 97 on an NT platform thanks Elaine ;) I got a similar problem using Excel 97 on an Windows XP machine, which was soved by uninstalling then reinstaling Excel 97. hth AndyO "elaine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0b0c01c3b03f$cdbd2860$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try ...

error opening ppt file
I have office 2007 installed but when i try to open a ppt file created by some one it says powerpoint can't read the outline . No text converter is installed for this file type. karan In article <a888f8cd-1391-4124-80c0- 631197290d7a@y28g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Guddu wrote: > I have office 2007 installed but when i try to open a ppt file created > by some one it says powerpoint can't read the outline . No text > converter is installed for this file type. Have a look here: "PowerPoint can't open the type of file represented by [FILENAME]"...

transferring outlook express files to new computer
I am trying to transfer my OE files to my laptop. I have tried to use the export feature but it is not working. In scanning the Knowledge Base it seems I need to have the full version of Outlook or Exchange because it has files in order to make this work??? I don't have these programs on my old computer - just OE. I tried copying all the email files/folders into the proper/corresponding directory on my laptop but they just don't show up. I really really don't want to lose all my email. Is there a solution? Many thanks and feel free to email me a julie@crowbold.com ...

How to share info from one file to another?
I am wondering how I can share something perhaps from a cell of "file 1 to "file 2." I am familiar with how to do it from worksheet t worksheet within a single file. From what I have heard I know that i can be done but both files have to be located in the same folder. Correct me if I am wrong and please tell me briefly how it can be done I appologize if this is a newbie question. Thanks Chip Carlto -- ChipCarlto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ChipCarlton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

Change the icon on Microsoft apps files?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01CA9CFE.DD0ACFE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can anyone tell me how to change the icon on a Microsoft file/shortcut = -- for example, an excel spreadsheet or MCE recording? ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01CA9CFE.DD0ACFE0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META con...

Denied file access
When I attempt to open my money program, I get a message that says, There is a problem with your Windows security settings. I use Windows 98 and Money 2000. ...

Export excel file to semicolon delimited text file
Hello all. We have the need to export a file from excel to a semicolon delimited text file. Is there a way to do this from Excel directly? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA for your help. If you change your regional settings to use the semicolon as your list separator, you can save as .csv and it should work. But this may affect other programs, too--since it's a windows setting. windows start button|settings|control panel|regional and language options| regional options tab|customize button near the bottom. On the other hand, if you don't want to fiddle with...

Deleting a excel file
Thanks for reading. I'm on a network at work, no signing in needed on the computer. Is there a way I can make a Excel file or folder and have where others can't delete it? I know how to protect it where the file can't be changed, but sometimes someone will delete it. I know this is the Windows 2000 security question but hope to fine the answer here, I'm lost. Thanks Much Bob Talk to your IT staff. Ask them to give you a share or folder on that network that only you (and a trusted co-worker) have write access to. But make...

Importing QIF files
I download and save the QIF file from my bank. I then import the file into Money 2004. When I review the enteries in my credit card relative to the QIF file I find the following: QIF: P7-ELEVEN 123456 Anytown VA M04: Eleven Anytown VA (Lost the "7-" and the store number) QIF: PJoe's 145345 Anytown VA M04: Joe S Anytown (lost the apostrophe, capitalized the "S", lost the state) QIF: PMR. CLEAN CAR WASH ANYTOWN VA M04: Mr Clean Car Wash Anytown (Lost the period, lost the state, lost the capitalization) I checked and in both cases there are no payee name va...

Problem creating 2003 PST file
Hi, I am currently running Outlook 2003 (Client). I am trying to create a new PST file. However when I try to add a new file (file\new\outlook data file\) I can only select: Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folder File. On the microsoft website it says I should see something like "Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)" but it is not listed. Is there any way to correct this?? I am running Outlook 2003 SP1. Thanks for any help, Wouter Hi, Kan iemand mij helpen? Het moet mogelijk zijn om bij het verzenden van een emailtje de afzender te veranderen. Ooit wist ik het, maar ik ben...

Merge two excel files
I have two excel files with the same cell layout. Some of the entries in the first file are identical to the second file. How do I merge the two files so that the resulting file has no duplicates? Thanks in advance. Tom -- So long and thanks for all the fish! Tom, Copy the entries from the second file into the first, below the other entries (don't copy the header row). Then save the file under a new name. I'm going to assume that your data starts in cell A2, with headers in row 1, and extends down the page. In a column to the right of the data table, enter a formul...

Converting Adobe PageMaker 6.5 files
Does anyone know if you can convert Adobe PageMaker version 6.5 files so that I can use MS Publisher 2007 to edit these files? I suspect the only way is the copy/paste solution. If you don't have PageMaker, maybe Adobe has help. There is a forum here that might have a solution: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/460491;jsessionid=39FEE1914BD4E0C9DF28733ADF71F413.node0?tstart=0 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "SmithinSA" <SmithinSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CCB0500-7E15-4EDC-BC04-775B41F13D8F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know if you can ...

can't see text in any office files anymore
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel on my macbookpro: can't see text in any office files anymore (word, powerpoint, excel). only when using preview function from OSX. <br> what's wrong??? <br> do I have to re-install the all suite? any quick fix? ...

Office X 'clean' reinstall: delete all old files?
I'm about to try installing the latest bug-fix collection, sorry. "security update" for Office X, 10.1.6. I'm hoping it might reduce the frequency of Word's charming crashes. Who knows, I might get lucky and it'll even fix the completely messed up 'contact' feature in Word that is grayed out most of the time, but when it decides to work, will only list the 'A's' from my address book. Just useless. Anyway, back to the plot: since my Office X is so bent out of shape, I figure I'll do a 'clean install' from the original disk first, then...

MDI App will no longer open file by double clicking associated filetype
OK, I had an app which was originally based upon an MDI app. It has been 'modded' to add various functionalities with code from www.codeguru.com and www.codeproject.com. Unfortunately, I just recently noticed that the ability to double click on the associated filetype (from a folder, desktop, etc) now no longer works. Instead, I get a messagebox: Title: (pathname of file) Message: Windows cannot find '(pathname of file).' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search. This is on Windows XP. ...

Link footer of one file to cells in another file
Is this possible? Only via code... Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With Me.Worksheets("sheet1") .PageSetup.CenterFooter = .Range("a1").Text End With End Sub If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm If you want to read more about these kinds of events: Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm Laura wrote: > > Is this po...

downloading files from http server
hi! i've got following problem: i have to download a .dat file from http server. I'm trying to do this using CHttpFile. When the file has extension like .htm or html evetithing works fine, but when m change the extension to ..dat the program throws exception (place: pFile->SeekToEnd() - i'm doing this to get file size). How to correct this kind error? How about using URLDownloadToFile? Its rather straightforward. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "menkaur" <menkaur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22491173-E754-4958-B181-9E700...

deleted or filed emails keep reappearing into inbox
Hello, I have a user that when ever he deletes an email or even if he files an email and moves it to a folder, a few days later that email keeps coming back to his inbox. He is using Outlook2007, is connected to Exchange 2007 and he's also a blackberry user on BES 5.0. I have tried the following: - recreating his profile in Outllook , -checked on his blackberry to make sure Mailbox wins on conflicts,- - he has no rules in Outtlook -turn on/off the Cashed mode Any ideas? ...

Archives Personal Folders File
In Outlook 98, I can't seem to make the Archive folder appear permanently right above the current Outlook Personal Folder in the left hand Folders List. Archiving doesn't seem to work. I get an odd error message: "Error while aging Store Personal Folders. Errors in Archive.pst. Quit Mail applications and use the Inbox Repair Tool." I find no such tool. Outlook 98 just has confusing documentation, don't know why. The Inbox Repair Tool is a file called scanpst.exe -- search your hard drive for it, then run it and follow the prompts to fix any errors in your archi...