Can't associate .DOC files with Word

Hello:

I am running Windows 7 on a 64-bit dell computer.  We recently purchased and
installed Office 2007 Home and Student version.  We are unable to associate
the .doc files on the computer with Word 2007.  when we right click on a
document and go to "open with" dialog box, Word is not in the available
programs. When we browse to Word in the Program files (x86) folder and choose
Winword.exe. It allows the selection but the box to make the file association
true for all .doc files is grayed out.

The computer originally came with WORKS so we opened some of the documents
in that before we purchased word. It has since been uninstalled, but I am
wondering if there are some registry settings that need to be edited. Also, I
would like word to come up automatically as a choice in "Open with" instead
of having to browse to it everytime.

Thanks in advance - airbear

Trying logging on to the computer as administrator and then set the file
association.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"airbear747" <airbear747@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am running Windows 7 on a 64-bit dell computer.  We recently purchased
> and
> installed Office 2007 Home and Student version.  We are unable to
> associate
> the .doc files on the computer with Word 2007.  when we right click on a
> document and go to "open with" dialog box, Word is not in the available
> programs. When we browse to Word in the Program files (x86) folder and
> choose
> Winword.exe. It allows the selection but the box to make the file
> association
> true for all .doc files is grayed out.
>
> The computer originally came with WORKS so we opened some of the documents
> in that before we purchased word. It has since been uninstalled, but I am
> wondering if there are some registry settings that need to be edited.
> Also, I
> would like word to come up automatically as a choice in "Open with"
> instead
> of having to browse to it everytime.
>
> Thanks in advance - airbear

0
Doug

Errors were detected in file name.xls
Error: Errors were detected in file name.xls, but Microsoft Excel was able to open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to make these repairs permanent.Translation: This error message may be followed by another error message after you attempt to save the file: "Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may have been lost or corrupted." This error sometimes occurs when you try to open a file in Excel 2003 that has been previously saved in an earlier version of Exc...

Can a mouseover reveal associated data in charts?
I want the associated cost display on the chart when you mouseover each data point (representing number of units). Does anyone know how to do this? -- JLC ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JLC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28014 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=475576 Hi! Mouseover on my (XL2003) charts always shows values (and a bit more: x-coordinate and series name). I seem to recall it did in XL200 and XL97, too. Alf -- AlfD --------------------------------...

two problems using Outlook and Word
Does anyone know why it is that when I open an email in Outlook which comes in as an HTML doc, and try to respond to it, the format of the response converts it to plain text format in a hideous courier font? Which cannot be converted into HTML because the option is grayed out? Is this in some way related to the reason why I cannot now respond to emails without getting a warning that something is trying to access Microsoft Word and should I allow it and if so for how long? Whatever option I try, the result is the same, either Word opens as it should, as Word seems to open as this TXT version ...

How do you create an "html" file? #2
How do you create an "html" file? We need this file to display messages & promotions on the costumer display monitor ...

I can't open Office Data File from CDs #2
Dear technical experts, I have been facing a security problem with Microsoft Outlook files. I exported Outlook items into Office outlook files (with the extension is .pst). The exported files were firstly saved on my computer (different path and location in comparison with default path of Office Outlook files in Documents and Settings). I can open my exported files easily. Because the size of outlook items is very large, I would like to save Office outlook files on another storage device in stead of using hard drives of my computer. I made copy these files to a flash drive (USB dri...

doc from Publisher 2000 to 2003
I have a document that was originally created using Publisher 2000 and was imported into the 2003 version and I've noticed a strange problem... on one page, a text box was created and superimposed overtop of a clipart image and the text box was free rotated so that the text would match the angle of the clipart image. But now, when printing that page, the text in the rotated box will not print clearly... I even deleted the old text box, recreated it using the same text as before and free rotated it to fit the image again and still the text will not print clearly... but if I l...

how to copy text in word then paste to change text in a table
I have a table that i need to replace the text weekly. I was hoping i could copy the text from Word, and then paste into the table every week the new change. I am using Publisher 2007 and have never used any previous versions to learn this trick. It's not a trick, you can actually do it. You may have to reformat the change once in Pub though. "Mel Clingan" <Mel Clingan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16614B31-7114-4DA5-9F27-916DE0102713@microsoft.com... |I have a table that i need to replace the text weekly. I was hoping i could | copy the ...

Where can I find information about word htm styles
I am working with documents created in word and then saved as HTM files. The issue is I am trying to decipher the documentation you see when you do 'view source' on an htm file created in word. I have searched the Microsoft site and cannot find any documentation on styles used such as mso-style-qformat or any of the mso type formatting. If there is a resource on the internet could someone please share the resource. thanks, -- Tucson Good luck with that. Sorry to say, but I think you will have difficulty finding any useful information. "I am working wi...

Word was unable to open the data source
My problem is that my Excel data is not being "mail merged" into Word. I followed the suggestion of prompting the data source before opening and I can choose "MS Excel Worksheet via DDE (*.xls) when prompted. Next I choose th named or cell range which is "Entire Spreadsheet". Then in lowr left task bar it briefly says "Opening file . . . ." but then I am prompted with Word error "Word was unable to open the data source." If I try Office 2007 I use "OLE DB Database Files" when prompted to open data source. Then I select t...

Inserting PDFs into Publisher File
I can't insert PDF's into my publisher newsletter by trying the insert command. I have to copy it and then past and it loses some quality. Anyone know how to get around this insertion problem? Thanks Greg Save the .pdf as another format and then insert it. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "gporell@southshoresenior.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11af01c50a30$d6c8d0c0$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I can't insert PDF's into my publisher newsletter by > trying the insert command. I have to copy it and then > pas...

Publisher 2003- message
I have used Publisher for a 120+ page "news letter" for the past 5 years. Upgraded to 2003 early last year. Have had a problem with fonts changing indescriminately (no sollution as yet). Latest problem - having spent many hours on a new document which includes grafics and text - I received the message - Publisher cannot open the file. HELP PLEASE Surely after 5 years you have a backup or two. It is never a good idea to use the same document over and over without re-saving it with a new name. Maybe you have a copy in a temporary folder Type %temp% in the address bar of Wind...

save array to file, read it back in
Hi, I just have an RGB volume buffer allocated like: unsigned char pBuffer = new unsigned char[256 * 256 * 50 * 3]; and I'd like to dump it straight to a file so I can read it back in exactly as above. Can I do something like this: ofstream o("C:\\test.raw"); o << pBuffer; o.close(); // Later on read it back in... ifstream i("C:\\test.raw"); unsigned char *pLater = new unsigned char[256 * 256 * 50 * 3]; i.read(); i.close(); Thanks I would write it out in ASCI and then convert when reading back. Since you are using MFC...

Excel crashes with linked files
Hi All, I was recently issued a new laptop and now Excel crashes frequently, sometimes upon opening a file, sometimes upon closing a file, and most recently upon changing the font. The most obvious thing that all the files have in common is that they contain links to other worksheets. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this and/or how to fix it? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Erin Erin, have you tried un-installing Excel/Office and re-installing? It sounds like something is wrong with Excel. Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins an...

Is there any way to Create a self-extracted file programmatically ?
Hi,guys!I need to create a self-extracted cabinet file with my app,but i don't know how to achieve this.I found ms cabinet sdk,but it dosen't mention the self-extracted cabinet.And i know IEpress can create a self-extracted cabinet file,but i want to write my app as IExpress. Is there any way i can achieve this ? Thank you advance! There is a cabarc.exe for creating cabinet file along with platform sdk. There is also a cabinet sdk available here:- http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/cab/2.0/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/Cabsdk.exe -- Vipin Aravind Microsoft MVP "how...

Excluding full path to linked file on a networked drive
Hello, I have two excel files -- A and B. Both files are saved on a network drive in the same directory. In file A, I have links to cells in file B. Because the files are in the same directory, is it possible to not have Excel show the entire path to file B in the formulas in file A that link to file B? The network path is quite long and it makes it difficult to read the formulas? If file B is open, the formulas just show the name of the file,i.e. [B]. Is it possible to always have this shown? THanks, How about using a cell reference that contains the file path? -- Jim Cone Portlan...

How to create a save-as dialog box as in Words?
Hi, When you save a file in Words, you will see a dialog box that is different from CFileDialog. My question is how to create it? Please help. Thanks. Tony CFileDialog( BOOL bOpenFileDialog, LPCTSTR lpszDefExt = NULL, LPCTSTR lpszFileName = NULL, DWORD dwFlags = OFN_HIDEREADONLY | OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT, LPCTSTR lpszFilter = NULL, CWnd* pParentWnd = NULL, DWORD dwSize = 0 Parameters bOpenFileDialog Set to TRUE to construct a File Open dialog box or FALSE to construct a File Save As dialog box. lpszDefExt The default filename extension. If the user does not i...

Merging Two Files
Hi, I am getting ready to marry up two schedules (around 6000 task lines) and am trying to find a potentially quicker solution than what I have planned (just in case plan A doesn't go so well for me). Two months ago I took a copy of my master file and began to add much needed work into it, however it was not yet authorized work, so I had to continue providing status into the main master file up to this point in time. Now that the work will be authorized in May, I need to take the current master file, and make sure all of the "what-if" modifications from the se...

Shared File & Freeze panes issue
We are using a Shared file, but the Freeze panes at times "resets" so that it appears the screen is frozed unitl you reset freeze panes. This is not due to user changesm but occurs in the original file that was emailed. Is ther any way to prevent this? There's a guy at work who sometimes applies Window|Freeze panes to a filtered list. While the list is filtered the way he has it, you can see the titles and the data nicely. But when you do Data|filter|show all (or reset the filter), the cell used to set the freeze panes is now off the viewable screen and it looks like t...

Corrupted files
My laptop computer recently had a mother board that fried and had to get a new one. Before taking the computer in for repair, I had all of my documents backed up on DVDs. When I reinstalled Office 2007, I receive error messages on some documents saying that the file is corrupted. Is there any way to recover the data on this corrupted file? I have tried to open the files by using plain text but all I get is scrambled letters and numbers and signs. Try opening them with WordPad or Open Office. But to see how badly corrupt they are (presuming they are docx format), rename them with...

Unable to read File #4
I have one particular file in Excel 97 which I open and update daily (stock market stuff) and each day I copy the days entries and paste it below for the next day. Been doing this for years with no hitch until a couple of months ago then one day I tried to open the file and got a notice "Unable to Read File". Tried everything I knew (which is not much) with no luck. Fortunately I had the file saved to a flash drive and was able to open it there and "Save As" back to by hard drive. It worked fine for a while, then last week it happened again, but I didn't bother to ret...

Convert file/backup Money 2000 on Money 2004
I have Money 2000 and I have buy Money 2004; but I can't convert my old file or backup created with Money 2000 on Money 2004. Why? We need some more information. What error messages do you see? What happens that you don't expect? What doesn't happen? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Stefano" <sborghi@deda.com> wrote in message news:02ca01c39f92$f68d8fe0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have Money 2000 and I have buy Money 2004...

Printing Photos in word 2007
I'm trying to print a little C5 Booklet, and print two pages on each A4 piece of paper, I'm trying to print the first page (cover page) with one photo and a few words. I'm using Word 2007, Vista, and the printer is a HP Color Laser Jet CP3505dn. When I first created this page it printed fine. After a few adjustments (i.e. Soft Edge Oval Frame) the only thing that will print is the words, when I view in print preview the picture shows up, but when I print the page all that is printed are the words. It's not my printer, I have printed stuff on other applic...

OL2003 "file as"
I've imported an address list from excel. Before that I changed the standard for "file as" to "company (last,first)" But after importing the contacts are filed as "last, first" without company. Does someone know what do to?!?!? Thanxxx KH The setting only apply to newly created Contacts, not Contacts you import. To change those, you'd have to use code. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "KH Koell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07ca01c39f04$54808420$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I've imported an address lis...

Counting words
Can anyone help? Is there a specific way to count each word in a spreadsheet. (same typ of word count that you can do in Microsoft Word) Most cells contain more than 1 word and some sentences. Thanks :confused -- Diamonell ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Diamonelle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1275 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27281 Hi not really possible. One workaround: Copy your data to MS Word and use the counting in MS Word -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankf...

Processing large files with TextFieldParser
ASP.net 3.5/SQL Server 2008 I've got a large (1.1m rows) csv file which needs parsing and sticking into sql server - the job needs doing every day and if anything the csv will get larger over time. At present I'm using a TextFieldParser to parse the csv line by line and add to the database. This fails probably 2 times in 3, if it's going to fall over it's usually at around 200,000 lines. Looking for suggestions as to how to do this robustly, on a shared server which doesn't allow bulk insert. Fair to assume the server is a factor in failure but I can't ...