Can't associate .DOC files with Word

Hello:

I am running Windows 7 on a 64-bit dell computer.  We recently purchased and
installed Office 2007 Home and Student version.  We are unable to associate
the .doc files on the computer with Word 2007.  when we right click on a
document and go to "open with" dialog box, Word is not in the available
programs. When we browse to Word in the Program files (x86) folder and choose
Winword.exe. It allows the selection but the box to make the file association
true for all .doc files is grayed out.

The computer originally came with WORKS so we opened some of the documents
in that before we purchased word. It has since been uninstalled, but I am
wondering if there are some registry settings that need to be edited. Also, I
would like word to come up automatically as a choice in "Open with" instead
of having to browse to it everytime.

Thanks in advance - airbear

Trying logging on to the computer as administrator and then set the file
association.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"airbear747" <airbear747@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am running Windows 7 on a 64-bit dell computer.  We recently purchased
> and
> installed Office 2007 Home and Student version.  We are unable to
> associate
> the .doc files on the computer with Word 2007.  when we right click on a
> document and go to "open with" dialog box, Word is not in the available
> programs. When we browse to Word in the Program files (x86) folder and
> choose
> Winword.exe. It allows the selection but the box to make the file
> association
> true for all .doc files is grayed out.
>
> The computer originally came with WORKS so we opened some of the documents
> in that before we purchased word. It has since been uninstalled, but I am
> wondering if there are some registry settings that need to be edited.
> Also, I
> would like word to come up automatically as a choice in "Open with"
> instead
> of having to browse to it everytime.
>
> Thanks in advance - airbear

0
Doug

750 KB file saves 10 times longer than a 900 KB file
We use a spreadsheet in our office that has numerous macros. This spreadsheet is approximately 750 kb. I created another file with no macros that is about 900 kb. The 900 kb file saves enormously faster that the 750 kb file with macros I spend a lot of time waiting for these files to save all day long. I have tried moving the macros to another sheet to see if that would help - but it only helped minutely. I have no add-ins checked (I saw that suggestion on another post). Any suggestions are hugely appreciated. Thank you. I've never noticed a difference in time based on if a workbook cont...

Box when opening File
Quick question...When I open up one of my saved files, Visio automatically puts some kind of box (function box possibly) around my heading and some of the text. I'll take it off and save and it isn't there. But when I close the file and then open it up again later it's there again. I try to delete the box but it deletes my text with it. I can't resize or delete the box (actually conjoined boxes) by itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to call...214-981-6324. Thanks! Try changing the line weight of the shape to none. John... Visio MVP Nee...

Email addresses in a comma-delimited (CSV) file
I am trying to create a csv from another application to be imported into Excel. One of the columns will contain email addresses. Is there a way that I can format the data in the column to have the addresses be 'links' when brought into Excel. First, hyperlinks are not just formatting. The Insert|hyperlink style of hyperlinks are objects in excel. Second, CSV files are plain old text. They don't hold these kinds of objects. (And they also don't contain any formatting properties, either.) But third, you may be able to cheat a bit. Can you go back to the othe...

Problems saving excel file from outlook
I have an EU that whenever he saves an excel file from outlook, it will rename the file (by adding the number "2" at the end of the file "file2.xls") and it also changes all the embedding links in the document. (The embedding link of F:\users\file.xls changes to c:\documents and settings\file.xls) Are you setting a Hyperlink base for your links? See Menu > File > Property > Summary tab. Put the original folder location there and when you move or save the file the links will not be renamed. Also assigning a letter to the drive can cause problems (not ...

pdf. file
Help!! Someone has sent me an e-mail with a pdf file attachment. For some reason, unknown to me, I can't open it. Any suggestions, tips or clues??? thanx in advance Do you have Adobe Acrobat/Acrobat Reader installed? If you save the file to your hard drive, can you open it? deb wrote: > Help!! > > Someone has sent me an e-mail with a pdf file attachment. > For some reason, unknown to me, I can't open it. Any > suggestions, tips or clues??? > > thanx in advance do you have adobe reader? "deb" <nikko-cat@rogers.com> wrote in message news:0...

can cvs files be opened using excel viewer
i have a user who cannot open cvs files with excel viewer but can ope with the full version of excel...anyone experienced this problem and i so, can you pls post the resolution -- darrie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- darriel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37522 There is nothing in the description of the Excel Viewer to suggest that it can read anything other than true XLS files. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

help attaching files
Hi... Using XP Pro and Outlook 2003. For some odd reason, I am unable to attach files when sending emails. Click on the 'paperclip', window opens to the My Doc folder. then when I click on a sub folder to open, nothing happens... finally, a Microsoft Word window opens that it is unable to open.... It is almost as if it is trying to launch Word to open the folder... Help? Thanks! -- B'rgds, Vinnie FWIW, from the Microsoft side a new Knowledge Base Article (KBA) was released on Apr 15th. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165 It lists two known conflicts so far....

Converting Eml files to Msg files with code
Hi. Sorry if this question is overly simple. I'm developing an integration project between Exchange and SPS. I read the message on a public folder of Exchange with ADO. I use ADO's stream object and save the message as a file. Created file formatted as .EML file and has .EML extension. We want to read this file in Outlook but it can't open the file. Because of this I need to format this file as .MSG file. I don't need a tool. I should make this process in code. Is there any API or code sample. Thanks in advance. ...

Open & update another file (through macro) while running macro
I am using MS Excel 2003 and I need help to solve my problem. One excel file (suppose A.xls) in which I’ll update my graph and the data is available in another file (suppose B.xls). What I am doing (through macro) is that I have created one button (in A.xls) and when I pressed it; its open the file B.xls (the data file) and at their I select month from drop down from which its update the pivot table based on the selection month and then same I was doing with another data excel file (suppose C.xls). Query : Is there any solution that when I pressed button from file A.xls its ...

how do I get old versions of modified files?
I made a mistake and modified a file, how do I get back the old version? Thanks From your backup, which, of course you take every evening !!! John G "Power Image" <Power Image@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:910DFC71-460A-4169-A56E-AB90D905E9C5@microsoft.com... >I made a mistake and modified a file, how do I get back the old version? >Thanks ...

Transferring contacts from OAB file
Hello, I am trying to transfer the entire GAL from a work PC to a home PC. I copied the oab, ost, and pst files to an external harddrive but have not been able to open the offline address book in Outlook at home. The pst opens fine. Any assistance or ideas appreciated. Thanks Love your attempt in regards to the oab/ost, but take a peek at http://www.slipstick.com/exs/portagal.htm <dextrorama@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1148816290.691150.313800@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I am trying to transfer the entire GAL from a work PC to a home PC. > > ...

Deleting a word from a Cell
Hi Can anyone help, i am trying to deletel the last word from a Cell My cell currently read: - M04274059519 Total and I need a formula that will delete the "total" word Would really appreciate some help linexe On Jan 21, 7:27=A0am, Linexe <l.clark...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Hi > > Can anyone help, i am trying to deletel the last word from a Cell > > My cell currently read: - =A0M04274059519 Total > > and I need a formula that will delete the "total" word > > Would really appreciate some help > > linexe C...

Can't open Money file directly.
I have Money 2005 I have many accounts at different banks. I can always open Money by using my password. I just added a new account & it tried to hook it up with Net.Passport. Now everytime i try to open my file it wants my Net.Passport. I deleted the new account,but it still opens with Net.Passport. I went into tools & selected to remove my accounts from Passport's server. Still can't open Money file directly. How can i get it back to just open my account from my PC ? In microsoft.public.money, desgnr wrote: >I have Money 2005 >I have many accounts at different bank...

Excel with Docs Open
When Excel is integrated with DocsOpen a document management system and you save the excel document, the document number(name) is not the DocsOpen number it is some strange number. (ie.,@S401!) I see this on some users systems at work and then on other users systems is will show the correct DocsOpen number when saved. Is there a place to change a setting? ...

Updating .nsf lotus notes server file
Hi, Using the below code i can fetch data from the .nsf file kept in the server. Dim LotusWizard As DAO.Recordset Dim session As Object Dim notesdb As Object Dim notesView As Object Dim NotesEntry As Object Dim notesdoc As Object Dim Item As NotesItem Dim doccollection As Object Dim datetime As NotesDateTime i = 0 Set session = CreateObject("Notes.NotesSession") Set notesdb = session.GetDatabase("Server", "path\file.nsf") 'Check if open If notesdb.IsOpen = True Then ...

Working with recovered Money files
Does anyone have advice or experience working with Money files recovered through a complete format restore recovery? I have recovered 68 .mny type files from a Harddrive that had a PC restore image overlayed on it. This was MS Money 2007 under Vista Ultimate. The recovered files are semi-genericly labeled with "Recovered_MS-Money_##" they just show today's new save date and range in size from 60KB to 23,300KB. When viewed in Wordpad the largest files have an opening line that says "MSISAM Database" before the gibberish code begins. I tried the Money standard r...

lost toolbar in win word and outlook
i could use some help. my toolbar has disappeared in word and when i use word as my email editor in outlook. i have tried a couple of online suggestions, but to no avail. i want to remove office then do a reinstall. it seems like my only choice right now. Hi - I can't help you (sorry) because I'm having the same problem as you are. I just posted my subject earlier tonight also. -".... Can't edit a forwarded message when using plain text ...When forwarding a message using plain text, I can not edit, underline, change,font, etc". I haven't rec'd any replies ...

Can I "branch" a template for a new doc type?
I've been using a template for a group of documents but now realize one subgroup is different and needs its own separate template. Can I copy the template with a new name and attach it to these documents? What kind of scary hidden dependencies can I expect? -- Christopher Brewster Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN Message posted via http://www.officekb.com There should be no problem with this. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" <u3143@uwe> wrote in...

Prompt for Save when closing a file
Excel used to prompt me to save my files, and now it is just closing them without saving them. How do I get the warning to appear again? ...

Disable password protection on .pst files
Just wondering if there is a registry key change or something I can do using the orktools that will prevent users from applying passwords to their .pst files. This is at the request of our legal department who is concerned that users may leave and their case files and such are now inaccessible to everyone. Thanks! Mary Patricia <rodgers.patricia@> wrote: > Just wondering if there is a registry key change or something I can > do using the orktools that will prevent users from applying passwords > to their .pst files. This is at the request of our legal department > who is ...

Excel attachment file names change on their own!
Using Outlook 2003, XP & Office 2003. I have to send a bunch of Excel files (typically around 10) to a supplier every week. They are sequentially numbered (purchase orders) and the order number is part of the file name. I attach them and everything looks fine. Then I send them and look in the sent box and one or two of the files will have renamed themselves using the names of other files! So if they were numbered 1 to 10, they would have changed to 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 6, 7,7, 9, 10 for example. If you open the attachments, they're fine - depite the name change, the conten...

Data files
What is the difference between the **.mbf and **.mny files? In microsoft.public.money, duhmel wrote: >What is the difference between the **.mbf and **.mny files? > *.mbf is Money Backup File. You cannot do salv.exe or standard repair directly to a *.mbf file. ...

Page header or footer longer than a page. File 794368d5a91da8.rpt.
Anyone seen this before? It only happens when trying to run the report via the CRM interface. The report ran fine last month. It's a copy of one of the canned pipeline reports that comes with CRM, with a date filter applied. Report has no parameters, just a filter. The report runs fine in Crystal. Many thanks i saw this a few weeks back and restarted the crystal services to get rid of it. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Jeff Metcalf" <JeffMetcalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8B9A1DD-777D-4746-A333-392955F912...

How do you replace a work sheet in excel with a word document?
I want a worksheet in excel to be a word document. Using the embedding application will not suffice. Basically Sheet 1 will not have columns and rows but will be a word document. Sheet 2 will be a wordsheet. Why the need? Basically if word and excel can be saved in the same work book, in respect of project work it would be time saving, efficient and effective. Assuming you also don't want to (or can't due to your version) create a binder, consider this approach: 1. Select and copy the text in your Word document. 2. Switch to Excel and select A1 on a blank worksheet. 3. Select Ed...

What is the file called which holds outlook express email?
I'm trying to migrate my old Win98/Outlook express email system to WinXP/Outlook. I don't know what the file is called which stores all the email I have saved over the last few years... >-----Original Message----- >I'm trying to migrate my old Win98/Outlook express email >system to WinXP/Outlook. I don't know what the file is >called which stores all the email I have saved over the >last few years... >. > It will either be a xxx.pst or a xxx.ost. Do a search on your hard drive for *.pst and it will show you where your file is located. Corrine ...