Can't associate .DOC files with Word

Hello:

I am running Windows 7 on a 64-bit dell computer.  We recently purchased and
installed Office 2007 Home and Student version.  We are unable to associate
the .doc files on the computer with Word 2007.  when we right click on a
document and go to "open with" dialog box, Word is not in the available
programs. When we browse to Word in the Program files (x86) folder and choose
Winword.exe. It allows the selection but the box to make the file association
true for all .doc files is grayed out.

The computer originally came with WORKS so we opened some of the documents
in that before we purchased word. It has since been uninstalled, but I am
wondering if there are some registry settings that need to be edited. Also, I
would like word to come up automatically as a choice in "Open with" instead
of having to browse to it everytime.

Thanks in advance - airbear

Trying logging on to the computer as administrator and then set the file
association.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"airbear747" <airbear747@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am running Windows 7 on a 64-bit dell computer.  We recently purchased
> and
> installed Office 2007 Home and Student version.  We are unable to
> associate
> the .doc files on the computer with Word 2007.  when we right click on a
> document and go to "open with" dialog box, Word is not in the available
> programs. When we browse to Word in the Program files (x86) folder and
> choose
> Winword.exe. It allows the selection but the box to make the file
> association
> true for all .doc files is grayed out.
>
> The computer originally came with WORKS so we opened some of the documents
> in that before we purchased word. It has since been uninstalled, but I am
> wondering if there are some registry settings that need to be edited.
> Also, I
> would like word to come up automatically as a choice in "Open with"
> instead
> of having to browse to it everytime.
>
> Thanks in advance - airbear

0
Doug

Using a Word, PDF, Image as a background on Excel.
Hello professionals, I would appreciate some help on this problem. Im a pretty good basic user of excel and generally dont need anything complex, but I cant figure out if I can do what I want with the information I want. I use Excel for my jobs to generate reports, submittals, etc. I am a sub contractor on this particular jobsite with plenty of additional forms I must fill out for the general contractor. The contrator wants me to fill out the same reports I fill out on my forms onto his forms. He created these forms on Word, and I have paper copies of them. I will be receiving a cd with...

Recover Excel file
Is there a way to get an autorecover file, if I closed Excel without saving changes? Hi Jimp, If you have seen the "autorecovery" message, when you closed the Excel, then definitely you can recover that file. It is there in the left pane when you open you Excel again else you can search Excel installation folders as well. -- Click on Yes, if it is useful. Thanks & Best Regards, Dilip Kumar Pandey MBA, BCA, B.Com(Hons.) dilipandey@yahoo.com dilipandey@gmail.com New Delhi, India "jimp" wrote: > Is there a way to get an autorecover file, if I closed Excel wi...

counting words
I'm trying to count how many times the word, "false" appears in a coloumn range of: F1:F2500 I've formated the "F" coloumn to analize and put either a, false or true, if the coloumns, "A1:2500 and B1:2500" do or don't match. Now I'd like to count, sort, find all the falses. Too many with a list of 2500. I've thought there was a way to also deliniate and show which row/cell each of the falses are in. This would help me tremendously as once I count them I'll know how many and where I need to update. I'm sure t...

mail merge problem: supported version of word is not installed...
when trying sending an email via mail merge, i'm getting the following error message: a supported version of microsoft word is not installed or the version cannot be obtained. outlook & word versions are: 2003 SP3. update rollup 2 server+client are installed. Any suggestions? ...

Excel Error Message When Opening A File
The boss's computer using Excel 97 under Windows XP gets this error when opening a file: "A document with the name xxxx.xls is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. To open the second document, either close the document that's currently open, or rename one of the documents." There is no other copy of the document open. I would appreciate it if anyone knows how to stop this. My boss would appreciate it if I could solve this problem he is having. Thanks. From Debra Dalgleish's site: http...

Ouput File Creation Date
I want cell A1 to output the date the file was created. Is there a way to do this without a macro? Don't think so. It is a workbook property, and that can only be accessed through VBA AFAIK. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C40BC2E-CE39-4819-8256-0AD539B6FE84@microsoft.com... > I want cell A1 to output the date the file was created. Is there a way to do > this without a macro? ...

Opening .doc file
When I receive a file it acts like it is going to open it but nothing ever appears and the window it does open in office stays grey. .rtf files open just fine. Anyone know what settings I should use? ...

Publisher cannot open file #3
After I pasted a table from Excel my pub cannot be open anymore. Anyone knows a solution to this? I don't want to start all over again... Thanks Specifically what error are you getting? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Grazyna & Maciek" <gm_u@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:R%g6e.20937$7Q4.20076@clgrps13... > After I pasted a table from Excel my pub cannot be open anymore. Anyone > knows a solution to this? I don't want to start all over again... > Thanks > > "Publisher cannot open the file" - it's as if the f...

Cannot open file
Hello, I am in need of assistance. A file was created in Publisher 2002 SP-1 (Windows XP Pro). The file was saved as Publisher 2000. We have tried to open the file in Publisher 2000 SR-1 (Windows 98). A message pops up "Publisher cannot open files from a different Version." How can we open the file in Publisher 2000?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Do you have that garbage trash Symantec Norton installed. If you do, REMOVE permanently the garbage trash junk software and your problems will be over. -- We are not running Norton. Any other suggestion...

Generating a Load File Dialog
I'm writing a simple OGL game in MFC. I need to implement a load and save game feature and i thought I would use the standard windows load and save dialogs. I can't seem to do this; could you please advice the best course of action. My application does not employ the document architecture as I thought this wouldn't be necessary considering only one savegame is open any any one time. I would rather not have to learn about and implement the document architecture but from what I've read/tried I'm being to believe that you have to use it in order to generate this load/s...

Using VBA in excel to how to delete temporary files or cookies
Is there any way to delete temporary files or cookies by using vba ocde from excel? Sub marine() Kill "C:\test\sample.doc" End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200819 Hans <H...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there any way to delete temporary files or cookies by using vba ocde from >excel? Sub foo() Shell Environ("Comspec") & " /c del ""%TEMP%""\*.tmp" End Sub ...

Publisher 2003 converting 2000 docs
I need to know where the temp directory is that MS writes the 2000 files to when converting to Publisher 2003 files. Our users get access denied when trying to open 2000 files on upgraded 2003 systems. Administrators don't have any trouble. ...

Isinteg redirect temp file to a different drive
Where does isinteg put the temporary files at? Can you redirect these files to a different drive and path? This is on an Exchange 2003. -- Eric Sabo NT Administrator "Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu> wrote: >Where does isinteg put the temporary files at? Can you redirect these >files to a different drive and path? This is on an Exchange 2003. ISINTEG doesn't create a full copy of the database and start working on it, it works on the main copy, so in that sense there isn't a temporary file, not like with eseutil. Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.or...

Save Word document as HTML and wanting to get the embed daudio
I am using INSERT > OBJECT > WAVE SOUND to record audio (using sound recorder) and then embed it in a Word document. I am also using Comments I can save this as a HTML file and the comments and the speaker icon for the sound is visible but there ain't no sound. You can see an example at http://www.usq.edu.au/users/evansp/browse/dropbox/SMITH_john_edu101_Assig1%20(comments).htm The comments are in the 3rd paragraph that starts with "But 'technologies' are not just 'things' ... Does anyone know of a way to extract the sound from a Word docume...

Using Word To Design Survey Forms
We already have a form generated in Word to manually collect data. We want to use this form as the basis of a Sharepont survey. I know I will need to crete fields in SP to collect data but importing the word file(16 pages) as a basis for the survey form could save a lot of time Trevor SharePoint has a webpart designed for surveys. Give it a try. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 19/01/10 00:07, Trevor Aiston wrote: > We already have a form generated in Word to manually collect data. > > We want to use this form as the basis of a Sharepont survey. > >...

how do i construct a bar in microsoft word?
how do i construct a bar in microsoft word? > how do i construct a bar in microsoft word? Use Word to write a letter to a general contractor. Ask the contractor for a quote to build a tavern to your specifications. Be as specific as you can about the specs. ...

Get a list of Outlook folders into a file
Is there some way to export a list of my Outlook Folders into a file? Maybe with a macro? Any advice is appreciated. This might be close to what you are looking for... http://www.slipstick.com/AddIns/housekeeping.asp Scroll down to "Information Storage Usage Form" "dhstein" <dhstein@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F3EF11F-0BF7-4468-AE9A-8DEAFC86C20A@microsoft.com... > Is there some way to export a list of my Outlook Folders into a file? > Maybe > with a macro? Any advice is appreciated. ...

Excel Report Builder Publish Report to File
When I publish a report to file, my 'Create Data Connection' is checked and grayed out. Why would it be grayed out? I'm tinkering with the idea of publishing a static report. In other words, I would control when the report is updated. Any thoughts? Thank you. ...

Serializing an ArrayList into XML File
Hello all, I'm trying to persist an object of type Arraylist into XML using the following the XMLSerializer and it returns an "Unknown" Error. I'm able to serialize and deserialize the arraylist object using Binary format but unable to do so using XML formatter. Is it possible to serialize an ArrayList object into XML? If somebody could pass on some sample code that would be really great. Thanks, Chris I'm new to XML in .NET, but here goes. The XmlSerializer doesn't know what to do with the ArrayList elements. You can convert the the ArrayList to an array of obj...

Password recovery for .pst files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_05DF_01C5CDE6.BEE49230 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am new to this listserve. I have a .pst file that is = password-protected and is from my old PC. Unfortunately I cannot recall = the password despite having tried all the passwords I use for my other = accounts. Any recommendations for software (preferably free!) that can = recover my password? Thanks! Ken ------=_NextPart_000_05DF_01C5CDE6.BEE49230 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859...

Open Corel .wpd docs in MS Word?
Does anyone know of a way (text converter) for office vx word to open corel wordperfect documents (.wpd files)? If so Please email tremblam at educ.queensu.ca There isn't a converter for Word to WordPerfect. Check out MacLinkPlus from Dataviz, which includes a translator. <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/> Otherwise, you could ask the WordPerfect user to save the file as RTF and then e-mail it to you. RTF is supported by both Word and WordPerfect. You could also try downloading a free copy of Corel WordPerfect 3.5 for Mac: <http://acmfiles.csusb.edu/pub/Macinto...

how do i send a letter from word to mail
Can somebody tell me how i can send a letter from word to my e-mail/ I have done a letter but it won't print,word does not recognise any of my printers.& i have just installed a new one. you can copy your letter while in Word, than open your email program and paste the contents of the letter into your email. Hope this helps. "shakira107" wrote: > Can somebody tell me how i can send a letter from word to my e-mail/ > I have done a letter but it won't print,word does not recognise any of my > printers.& i have just installed a new one. Which v...

why are attached files turning into DAT files when received from .
Have recently starting usin office 2003, when i send emailwith attachments ie. jpg they are received as DAT files and unreadable by my recipients. On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 01:41:07 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Have recently starting usin office 2003, when i send emailwith attachments >ie. jpg they are received as DAT files and unreadable by my recipients. Stop sending messages in rich text format. Use either plain text or HTML format. -- <<<SgtRich>>> Email: Microsoft Outlook 2003 News (Text): Fort´┐Ż Agent 2.0 News (Binaries): News Rover 10.2....

file save as
I am attempting to create a macro that will take the active file an "save as" in a mmyy format. Anybody know how to do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com try this in your macro (change the sub name to what ever) Sub test() Dim temp As String If Len(Month(Date)) = 1 Then temp = "0" & Month(Date) & Left(Year(Date), 2) Else temp = Month(Date) & Left(Year(Date), 2) End If ThisWorkbook.SaveAs temp End Sub hope this help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Another version: Option Explicit Sub test2() Dim temp As String ...

Duplicate files in Outlook 2003 #2
Duplicate files in Outlook 2003 -------------------------------------------- I am using Windows XP and was using Outlook XP successfully for several years. I recently upgraded to Office 2003 which includes the much improved Outlook 2003. However I faced some problems when converting my PST files from the old format (97-2002) to the new format of OL2003. I am now stuck with a number of Outlook Personal folders which appear in my "Folders List" and refuse to be deleted or closed. These were Personal Folders originally linked to actual PST files. Those Physical PST files got d...