Active Directory Domain Service Unavailable. What does this mean?

I am using Windows 7 on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop.  I am trying to print
with my Dell V305 bluetooth enabled printer.  Bought bluetooth "adapter"
which plugs into USB port since laptop was not bluetooth enabled.  When I
click on "Find Printer" it gives me an error message saying, "Active
Directory Domain Services Unavailable".  I'm not sure what this means or what
to do about it.  All I really want to do is find the printer.  Can someone
help?

Are you printing from Word? Word must see a locally installed, compatible
printer driver set as the Windows Default printer. My guess is that the
message is erroneous and that the printer setup you are using is
incompatible.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Shiloh" <Shiloh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using Windows 7 on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop.  I am trying to
> print
> with my Dell V305 bluetooth enabled printer.  Bought bluetooth "adapter"
> which plugs into USB port since laptop was not bluetooth enabled.  When I
> click on "Find Printer" it gives me an error message saying, "Active
> Directory Domain Services Unavailable".  I'm not sure what this means or
> what
> to do about it.  All I really want to do is find the printer.  Can someone
> help?

16
Terry
12/17/2009 5:23:13 PM
I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The other
15
Bill
1/5/2010 2:11:46 PM
As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on the
laptop.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
> been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when
> I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
> currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to
> fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
> other
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t

1
Doug
1/5/2010 10:23:00 PM
I have the same problem, with a slightly different message in XP, after
having used the printer before, and a search of the Mighty MS doesn't even
come up with the error message except here.

Clearly it is a network issue and why anyone wants to advertise
"professional services" when that is all they  have to say, I don't know.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
> somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on the
> laptop.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
>
> "Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> > I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
> > been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when
> > I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
> > currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to
> > fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
> > other
> >
> > ---
> > frmsrcurl:
> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t
>
> .

So what is the error message that you are receiving?  Are you also trying to
use a wireless connection to a printer?  Was the printer used before on that
computer with the same type of connection?

It is quite easy on some laptops to inadvertently turn off either BlueTooth
or Wireless, so the suggestion to the previous poster that it might be
turned off is not at all unreasonable.

I am not advertising professional services.  Rather, requesting that
way, neither I, nor the majority of the persons who provide assistance in
these newsgroups, work for Microsoft.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Elind" <Elind@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem, with a slightly different message in XP, after
> having used the printer before, and a search of the Mighty MS doesn't even
> come up with the error message except here.
>
> Clearly it is a network issue and why anyone wants to advertise
> "professional services" when that is all they  have to say, I don't know.
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
>> somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on
>> the
>> laptop.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>>
>> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
>> on
>> a paid professional basis.
>>
>> "Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
>> > I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
>> > been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday
>> > when
>> > I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
>> > currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do
>> > fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
>> > other
>> >
>> > ---
>> > frmsrcurl:
>> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t
>>
>> .

0
Doug
1/19/2010 2:01:09 AM
I agree. Your advice sucks. To disregard a legitimate question and/or
message as erroneous is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge.
Thanks for no help.

If anyone else other than the previous posters would like to reply, I
recently used a wireless card on my laptop. Now I cannot print from
Word, with the same wireless printer I had used previous to the card.
Thanks
5
hks1102
1/26/2010 2:38:47 PM
I think you misunderstood the use of the word 'erroneous'. I was not
accusing the poster or anyone else of being erroneous rather I was saying
that the error message was erroneous: the failure to print has nothing to do
with ADDS not being available. The problem is with the wireless printer
driver. It has been reported with both Brother and HP wireless printers.

Try uninstalling (deleting) the printer, making sure that you have the
latest driver and then reinstall following the vendor's instructions.

Terry Farrell

"hks1102" <hollisims@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I agree. Your advice sucks. To disregard a legitimate question and/or
> message as erroneous is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge.
> Thanks for no help.
>
> If anyone else other than the previous posters would like to reply, I
> recently used a wireless card on my laptop. Now I cannot print from
> Word, with the same wireless printer I had used previous to the card.
> Thanks

-4
Terry

Activity customizing has only few columns
I've found activity view that can be customized at http://crm/tools/viewEditor/viewManager.aspx?id={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001903} but there are only few columns to be added or removed. Can it, for example, 'To recipients' column be added. I've seen somewhere on this newsgroup that someone claimed that it can be done. I agree on that but I can't find out the way. Has someone done it and how? Domagoj Hi Domagoj, we have a process for manually modifying queries to include non-standard fields. Unfortunately, recipients are stored separately from the activities...

customize activity in crm
I am looking for a way to customize activities in the "workplace" section. I am familiar with adding new schema fields and have done this, and customized other forms such as the account forms. But I do not see a way to change the activities. The end goal is to be able to group the activities into different types. So I would either like to add a new field, that could be put on the form, or add in additional types of activities beyond the email, task, etc. Any suggestions? I am using version 1.2 on windows 2003 server. Thanks, J Unfortunately there is no way of cust...

Active Directory Connection Agreement Issues
I am receiving an error when creating a connection agreement from Active Directory to Exchange 5.5. For one specific Exchange 5.5 Site, I cannot see child recipient containers from the Exchange 5.5 side when choosing the Exchange 5.5 containers to update from on the “From Exchange” tab. This problem only occurs on this one specific Exchange 5.5 site. I can see all child containers on all other Exchange 5.5 Sites without any problems. Any Ideas? Permissions and Trusts have been set up and verified. Thanks Rustom There's a setting in the connection agreement that maps the chil...

Follow up activities related to origin? MS CRM 4.0
Hi, When I create a follow up activity, using the "follow up" button on the activity form (e.g. an open task); then I can create a new activity through the form assistant. This form assistant provides following tip: "When you select a follow up, it is automatically associated with the open record or activity". Now, if that's really true, this would be the solution i was looking for; but: How do I capture the original activity from the new follow up activity that was created? Purpose: because when I create a follow up activity, I would like a registration on th...

Modifying "My Home Page" view of activities
I'd like to modify the activity views displayed on the "My Home Page" for our users. I'd like to add the Account name that the activities pertain to so that our sales people have context for each activity. Is this possible? Thank you! This is not a supported v1.2 out of the box feature. Some options: 1. c360's Activity Summary and My Workplace http://www.c360.com/MyWorkplace.aspx 2. SDK Good luck. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm San Francisco, CA "JMC" wrote: > I'd like to modify the activity views displayed on the...

How many DPM servers in a domain?
Hi there, we are currently running a DPM server to backup an Exchange 2007, the exchange system is split into three mailbox servers. The DPM system is under load due to the size of the system, the exchange admin has asked whether it is possible to run three dpm servers backing up each mailbox server to ease the load? Take a look at this article. It will help you come up with a proper solution: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808681.aspx Also, you can use more than one DPM server to backup different servers. -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K...

Moving the MTA DB and Run Directory on E2.3 SP2
I have to move the MTA Messge Queue directory. I have an Active/Passive cluster. Is it as simple as going to the X400 properties and changing the path? Or do I need to modify the registry also? Will running on a cluster have any impact or influence on the process? Rory http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259896/en-us For a cluster you have to be aware of registry checkpoints. Make sure you read the note at the bottom of the article for applying this to a cluster. "Rory" <Rory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:900DCEF1-6E98-4AB5-A608-35643AD94919@micros...

OWA only accessible via internet with exteral ip address, not with internet domain name
OWA only accessible via internet with exteral ip address, not with internet domain name. Computers in the network can use the internet domain name and access OWA, but outside the local network (on internet) computers get "cannot find server or dns error". Can someone please help me out? Hi, You have created an A record (like webmail) pointing to the external IP address of the exchange server so that the users can type webmail.domain.com? Leif "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:1160773241.988293.84780@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > OWA on...

Installed Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1 and OWA no longer works
When going to https://servername/exchange we get the certificate acceptance dialog box, and further are prompted for username and password as usual. However entering correct information in any form IOW: domain\username - pass domain.com\username - pass user@domain.com - pass only results in the browser continuing to display the site but ultimately never does. NEED HELP with this one as SP1 cannot be uninstalled! "Navigato" <Navigato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When going to https://servername/exchange we get the certificate acceptance >dialog box, and furth...

HOw to get the application directory
Excuse me.. this does sound like a stupid question. I need to get my application's directory path. I must not be searching on the right names GetApplicationPath()? thanks How about GetModuleFilename()? "Jona Vark" <noemail@all.com> wrote in message news:zHEye.747$6%2.453@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com... > Excuse me.. this does sound like a stupid question. I need to get my > application's directory path. I must not be searching on the right names > GetApplicationPath()? > > thanks > > GetModuleFileName() GetModuleHandle() "Jona Vark&q...

Office Home & Student 2007 Activation Question
Please help with information. I have Office Home & Student 2007. I know I can activate it on 3 machines. But... On MY computer, I am currently using it. On my Laptop I have installed it. I have installed it on my wife's Desktop computer. That is 3, right? But... I need to install (only temporarily) on a NEW computer for me. That would make 4 installations and Microsoft won't allow that. Can someone supply with a phone number that I can appeal & explain a temp situation to MS? Or what does anyone suggest I do? I just want to remove & replace some...

New Exch2003 Srvr on New domain
I just installed Exchange Standard 2003 on a new domain. I have SBS 4.5 with Exch 5.5 on an existing domain that will be phased out ASAP. I would like to pull all of the contacts and calendar over... Any ideas on how to do it? ...

Objects available in Customer Service module
I have a situation where I have Sales Professional and Customer Service Professional. I know that when you are given a license to the sales professional you can open up an account record and see the cases (from the customer service module) for the account. Can you also see the contracts? To what level of detail can you see these (just contract header information or the contract lines also)? Conversely, in the customer service side, can you see the orders and the quotes for the accounts and, if so, to what level of detail? Thanks! ...

Server Error in '/' Application while closing an activity
Hello! We recently upgraded our CRM 1.2 to 3.0. Everything went OK, for the most part, but I am receiving a server every time we close out an activity, but it still closes the activity!?! Below is the error: Server Error in '/' Application -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Server was unable to process request. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: Sy...

Highlight Active row while scrolling?
Is there a way to scroll and have the row it is on highlighted. For instance, if I am scrolling and I am on row 16, can that row be highlighted so that I can easily tell which row is highlighted? Rachel Hi Rachel, Take a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm It might be just what you are after. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "rachel.esquivel@rehab.state.tx.us" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6de001c3e6a4$d14a0520$a401280a@p...

Change network from domain to workgroup
Is there a utility that will allow the clients to transfer their login profile from a client server (domain) type network (login profile) to a workgroup login and keep all the shares and permissions? There will be a "file server" for sharing files and the network hardware (router) will handle the DHCP and firewall. You might give this a go. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=799AB28C-691B-4B36-B7AD-6C604BE4C595&displaylang=en You can use the Copy To function to mirror the profile. Logon at least once after disjoining the domain. Then whi...

Can't send outbound email (outside of our domain)
Greetings, FYI - we cannot send outbound email outside of our domain as of yesterday. Rebooting the server does not work. We have also run a repair of the db and a defrag on the db. Also, we are periodically having problems connecting to OWA. We are not on any blacklists and don't seems to have any DNS issues when testing sites like DNSstuff.com... Any ideas? Let me know. Thanks much, Toni Have you checked name resolution on your network? Can you ping the Exchange server name, FQDN and IP address? What happens when you telnet to port 25 on your Exchange server? Anything in the...

Cert Services on Exchange
Hi All: We have a need to provide VPN access to our LAN with 2 factor authentication. This will be for a limited amount of users, maybe 4 tops on a very low traffic exchange server. Are there any issues running certificate services on Exchange? Thanks DJ On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:21:24 -0400, "Doug" <none> wrote: >Hi All: > >We have a need to provide VPN access to our LAN with 2 factor >authentication. This will be for a limited amount of users, maybe 4 tops on >a very low traffic exchange server. Are there any issues running certificate >services on...

Recipient Update Service errors #2
I keep getting the following two errors in my Exchange server application log: 2027 - Unable to generate the e-mail address. Unable to load address module 'C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\address\GWISE\i386\gwproxy.dll' for address type 'GWISE'. Error 0xc007007e. 8231 - Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=Recipient Policies,CN=Health Care Excel,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=hce,DC=org':'MAD.EXE', error=8000ffff. Taking provider offline. We currently have an Exchange 2000 server, and a new Exchange 2003 cluster. ...

Active sync web admin tool
hello all I jsut installed this tool on my Exchange 2003 sp2 server, and the tool created a new website in IIS called "default web site" its just like the one thats installed when IIS gets installed. Is this correct? I thought the tool installed a virutal directory not a whole new website. From reading the directions it says that i can get to the tool by going to https://mailsevername.mydomainname.com/mobileadmin I dont know why the tool created a new website instead of a Vdir underneath the default web site. Also in testing ( i have a cingualr 2125 WM 5.0 doesnt have the M...

Microsoft CRM Security Service not starting
Hi all, I have fresh installation of MS CRM (Win2003 Server Std, MSSQL2000 all latest patch - well 3a for SQL) and have set the Microsoft CRM Security Service to start automatically. However after a reboot the service fails to start. It starts without problems when i do it manually. Anybody cama acrosss a similar issue ? Here is the error in the event log ---------------------------------------------------------- MSCRM Platform Error Report: ---------------------------------------------------------- Error: <description>The MSCRM Security Service has not been started.</descr...

MSN BillPay: free service with 2004 & payment timing...
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3E71B.55CAC070 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Two questions from a new MSN BillPay user: (1) I just bought Money 2004 Premium and it has 2yrs of free MSN = BillPay. However, after I signed up, it shows I have zero free months. = I've looked everywhere trying to find where you're supposed to say "I = got money", but no luck. (2) When I schedule to pay a bill, say one month from today, It gets = entered into my register effective...

Exchange 2003 Intelligent Message Filter (IMF) attributes in active directory
Hi there, I'm trying to figure out a way to search for all of the users in my domain who have opted-in to the Exchange 2003 IMF (Intelligent Message Filter). Does anyone know of the Active Directory attribute that this refers to or any other way to scan for how many users may have opted in to the IMF? Thanks~ Matthew What do you mean by opted-in? Anyway in AD there is no per recipient info related to IMF. IMF itself does store the thresholds there but this is not what you are looking for I guess. cheers, Alexander Zammit Software Development Consultant Check out, ExchangeInbox....

System attendant service starting
Hi...i got 3 insite servers that each has windows 2k advanced server SP4 each acts as domain controler to the same domain and each has exchange 2000 sp3 installed on it, i also have 2 external servers for 2 external subdomains with the same settings. my problem is that system attendant service shows in the services.mmc the word starting insted of started even if i restarted the servers. the event viwer shows nothing except errors such as 1002,1004. now i got my SMTP messages stuck in the queue also i deleted 3 party connectors. would you please help me. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?U2FtZXI=?=...

Searching Contact Activities Help
Is there a way to search all files on my computer using Outlook 2003 contact activities? I basically need a way to locate all files and messages related to a specific contact in Outlook. Thanks for any input. Jason If you created an Outlook journal entry associating a contact with a file, it should appear on that contact's Activities page. Otherwise, there's no record of the association. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "P...