Active Directory Domain Service Unavailable. What does this mean?

I am using Windows 7 on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop.  I am trying to print
with my Dell V305 bluetooth enabled printer.  Bought bluetooth "adapter"
which plugs into USB port since laptop was not bluetooth enabled.  When I
click on "Find Printer" it gives me an error message saying, "Active
Directory Domain Services Unavailable".  I'm not sure what this means or what
to do about it.  All I really want to do is find the printer.  Can someone
help?

Are you printing from Word? Word must see a locally installed, compatible
printer driver set as the Windows Default printer. My guess is that the
message is erroneous and that the printer setup you are using is
incompatible.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Shiloh" <Shiloh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using Windows 7 on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop.  I am trying to
> print
> with my Dell V305 bluetooth enabled printer.  Bought bluetooth "adapter"
> which plugs into USB port since laptop was not bluetooth enabled.  When I
> click on "Find Printer" it gives me an error message saying, "Active
> Directory Domain Services Unavailable".  I'm not sure what this means or
> what
> to do about it.  All I really want to do is find the printer.  Can someone
> help?

16
Terry
12/17/2009 5:23:13 PM
I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The other
15
Bill
1/5/2010 2:11:46 PM
As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on the
laptop.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
> been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when
> I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
> currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to
> fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
> other
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t

1
Doug
1/5/2010 10:23:00 PM
I have the same problem, with a slightly different message in XP, after
having used the printer before, and a search of the Mighty MS doesn't even
come up with the error message except here.

Clearly it is a network issue and why anyone wants to advertise
"professional services" when that is all they  have to say, I don't know.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
> somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on the
> laptop.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
>
> "Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> > I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
> > been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when
> > I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
> > currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to
> > fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
> > other
> >
> > ---
> > frmsrcurl:
> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t
>
> .

So what is the error message that you are receiving?  Are you also trying to
use a wireless connection to a printer?  Was the printer used before on that
computer with the same type of connection?

It is quite easy on some laptops to inadvertently turn off either BlueTooth
or Wireless, so the suggestion to the previous poster that it might be
turned off is not at all unreasonable.

I am not advertising professional services.  Rather, requesting that
way, neither I, nor the majority of the persons who provide assistance in
these newsgroups, work for Microsoft.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Elind" <Elind@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem, with a slightly different message in XP, after
> having used the printer before, and a search of the Mighty MS doesn't even
> come up with the error message except here.
>
> Clearly it is a network issue and why anyone wants to advertise
> "professional services" when that is all they  have to say, I don't know.
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
>> somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on
>> the
>> laptop.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>>
>> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
>> on
>> a paid professional basis.
>>
>> "Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
>> > I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
>> > been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday
>> > when
>> > I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
>> > currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do
>> > fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
>> > other
>> >
>> > ---
>> > frmsrcurl:
>> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t
>>
>> .

0
Doug
1/19/2010 2:01:09 AM
I agree. Your advice sucks. To disregard a legitimate question and/or
message as erroneous is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge.
Thanks for no help.

If anyone else other than the previous posters would like to reply, I
recently used a wireless card on my laptop. Now I cannot print from
Word, with the same wireless printer I had used previous to the card.
Thanks
5
hks1102
1/26/2010 2:38:47 PM
I think you misunderstood the use of the word 'erroneous'. I was not
accusing the poster or anyone else of being erroneous rather I was saying
that the error message was erroneous: the failure to print has nothing to do
with ADDS not being available. The problem is with the wireless printer
driver. It has been reported with both Brother and HP wireless printers.

Try uninstalling (deleting) the printer, making sure that you have the
latest driver and then reinstall following the vendor's instructions.

Terry Farrell

"hks1102" <hollisims@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I agree. Your advice sucks. To disregard a legitimate question and/or
> message as erroneous is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge.
> Thanks for no help.
>
> If anyone else other than the previous posters would like to reply, I
> recently used a wireless card on my laptop. Now I cannot print from
> Word, with the same wireless printer I had used previous to the card.
> Thanks

-4
Terry

Best replicas and the Best Service and Guarnatee to Back up Our Watches #2
Replica Watches | Best replicas and the Best Service and Guarnatee to Back up Our Watches. Affordable Prices For High Quality Replica Watches. Http://www.precisionreplicas.com We offer you a World of Luxury at very affordable prices and you can rest easy about your satisfaction of quality and service. Now, with just a few simple steps, you can own something that will make you feel and look great! You can go to that business meeting, sales conference, or cocktail party wearing a beautiful watch and be sure to catch people's attention. The way you act, dress and present yourself wi...

R2 OWA domain login required
We have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server running on a Server 2003 SP1 standard server. We need to rebuild this server but it is an AD server so we are going to migrate the users to an interim server (Server B), remove the original server from the Exchange group (Server A), remove it from AD, then rebuild it and move all the users back. Server B is a Windows Server 2003 R2 standard server with Exchange 2003 Enterprise. The install went fine. The replication of the system and public folders went fine. Moving the users (not all have been moved yet) is going fine. BUT, the problem is that on the...

Copying emails to other windows directories
Hello group, I have a rather large inbox (3000+ items) with emails pertaining to a number of different clients. Typically, all documents relating to a client (eg. Word files, PDFs etc) are stored in a specific client folder. Nothing particularly complex about this, merely an alphabetically organised set of folders in Windows (XP). I would like to know if there is a way of exporting or copying the emails in my inbox, specific to a client, to the client's folder. It doesn't really matter what format they are in, provided they can be read as before, and the basics (To, From, Ti...

Not receiving emails from a specific domain
I couldn't find a search term that would show any messages that dealt with this issue so I apologize if this has been asked and answered already. I moderate a website that sends me messages when I receive a new PM, or a reply to a message I've posted in. I've received these forever. All of a sudden I stopped receiving them. I contacted the administrator of the website who assured me that everything was working properly on the server end. I double checked all settings in my website account profile and everything is set properly there. I contacted my ISP to find out if the do...

(MSCONFIG) An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service......
...You may need to log on as administrator.... OK I get this in msconfig when making a change, however the change actually is made despite the error message. This is recent occurance, I am administrator (I have not changed anything on the accounts set-up) I can't fix this, I read it could be something to do with HP printers (weird) and also something to do with anti-virus (sounds more logical). OK so any ideas on how I can go about fixing it? Also when PC goes to sleep I can't wake it with either keyboard or mouse movement. In news:IQKun.15067$pV1.971...

Multiple Domains in Exchange 2000
I have a client collecting email from 4 different domains using SBS2K/Exchange2K The problem is that one of the departments gets some of its mail through an ISP mailbox. Exchange recipient policy has to have this ISP domain listed and checked or email coming in with this address is rejected. Yet because this is a popular ISP there is a requirement to be able to send outgoing email to OTHER subscribers using this same ISP.... But Exchange sees itself as solely responsible for the ISP domain and won't pass outgoing messages addressed to it. Does anybody have any ideas how to get round th...

Run Code in General Module Upon Activation of Other Sheets
I have VBA code residing in a general module of a workbook. The outpu from the code updates several sheets in the workbook. I would like t automatically Run the code in the general module if any of thes several sheets are activated (by clicking on the sheet�s tab). How ca I do this? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Steve You can use the folowwing events in the sheet module(not a normal module) Right click on a sheet tab and choose view code. Paste the events in there and press Alt-Q to go back to Excel. You can copy the code in the event or type the macro name ...

Cases containing activitys
Hi all, My situation, All cases are containers for activitys (Or so i think) These activitys, how do i place a date and time stamp in these activitys? Thanks in advance Jefferson Activities are automatically marked with the date/time they are created and also when they are modified. The unfortunate thing is that CRM does not show you these dates/times by default when you view activities associated with an object. However, you can add these columns with an undocumented customization. You will want to change the associated view for activities. You can do this (if you have CRM admin privi...

outlook asks for username, password and domain
How do you get Outlook XP to stop asking for logon credentials every time it is opened. I'm able to login fine after I enter them except when using a VPN Outlook keeps trying to request data and never really opens. ...

Professional Services Tools #2
We currently run GP 8.0 and purchased a few of the tools available in Professional Services Tools Library. We're planning to upgrade to 10 in April, and our VAR just informed us that we will need to re-purchase these tools to use for version 10! Has anyone else run across this? I don't understand how this could possibly be the case in any way. Any input is appreciated. -- Dave Stonesifer Dave, The last few times we had a customer need to upgrade their Tools Library, they were able to buy an upgrade to the current version. I am not sure what the upgrade cost is currently,...

Excel 2000 under Terminal Services 2003
I am unable to drag and move page breaks in Excel page break preview under Windows 2003 Terminal Services. Any help please ...

highlight changes in document approvals in hr self-service suite
Business Portal should highlight the changes that were made in employee self-service requests when displaying them to the approver. For instance, if an employee changes his or her address, highlight the new address so that the approver can easily verify its accuracy. I have delivered training on the HR Mgmt suite several times and that request has come up each and every time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If y...

Microsoft releases Reporting Services Reporting Pack for MS CRM
A press release was issued announcing several new reporting packs for Reporting Services. Included in them is one for MS CRM v1.2. Press Release: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040929/sfw052_1.html Download location: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/downloads/default.asp Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Matt Parks" <mattp65@Yax_RemoveDashAndX_xhoo.com> wrote in message news:u0vll05630vallk08btfrp98l75qt3hptr@4ax.com... > A press release was issued announcing several new reporting packs for Reporting > Services. Included in them is one for MS CRM v1.2. > >...

Sales tax compliance software or service
Our company currently allows customers to purchase thier items and have them shipped. In a number of cases, these items are being shipped out of state. In these cases, the sales tax charged on the order is based on the shipping address (this is what the tax attorneys have told us). This means that we need to use the Customer Taxes functionality in RMS StoreOps. Since we have a business presence (not necessarily a retail store, but a sales force) in nearly all 50 states, we have to charge sales tax whenever something is shipped, and remit the taxes collected to the apporpriate authorit...

Track e-mails to active cases
We track relevant e-mails to cases but the case-list contains everything, also the resolved cases. This means the list is getting extremely long and it's getting difficult to find the actual case. How do I make CRM show only the active cases? what is the default view ? Have u changed default view to active case only? /Aamir When we open Cases in Outlook we have default view Active Cases, yes, but when we track e-mails, the list contains all cases, also the resolved ones. There is no option on views then. BG "Aamir" wrote: > what is the default view ? Have ...

CRM on SBS (Internet, Domain)
Hello! I need your help regarding CRM server. I installed CRM server on the Small Business Server and it is working perfect. Our company have four offices on three diffrent locations. Server is in the HQ and i want to contact this server from any other office but i am not able to do so. On the local network it is working and server has IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS1 and DNS2. I am not able to Ping IP address from other office (Request time out 100% loss). Is there any body to help me how can i use CRM server in the any other office. I have Windows Server 2003 and cont...

Accessing thru OWA & multi-domains
Hi there, I'm using Exchange 2003 and a forest that contains three domains. Users from the Exchange default domain can login via OWA but users from the other two domains get the dreaded three auths and then HTTP 401 unauthorized. Mailboxes exists and mail can be sent to them. The users show up in the address box. The Exchange default domain also contains the GC. I've checked replication, DNS, auth in Exchange & IIS (both are set to Basic & IWA), permissions on directories, etc. Basically, everythng that that I found in the MS knowledgebase. The forest is a mixed env with ...

CRM email activity
when i try to use the body of an crm email activity, the body contains tags, by example <FONT ...> text </FONT> .... There are any chance of the body to not contain tags? -- Regards, Pedro Airó This behavior is hard-coded into to Microsoft CRM and is therefore "By Design". Having said that, what are you trying to accomplish? If I knew what you were trying to do, I may be able to suggest a workaround or possible solution. Aaron Elder Director, Software Development invokesystems solid technology. sound thinking. http://www.invokesystems.com "Pedro Ai...

CRM 3.0 SBE and Sharepoint Services
I am running a CRM 3.0 development server on SBS2003. The SBS2003 server had Sharepoint Services installed by default during the intital install of SBS2003 on http://companyweb, on IIS port 80. When I installed CRM 3.0 SBE, I chose the Default Web Site option rather than having CRM "Create a New Web Site" and install itself on port 5555, so it overwrote and disabl;ed Sharepoint Services on port 80. Is there a way to re-enable or reinstall Sharepoint Services for SBS 2003 and install it on a designated IIS port where it will not install over my CRM 3.0 SBE installation, now on ...

Have to restart World Wide Web Publishing Service
My pwa goes down every 5 minutes and if I go to the services and restart the World Wide Web Publishing Service the pwa begins to work again for another 5 minutes. I look in the event log and I have an Event ID 2269 Source: W3SVC-WP The worker process failed to initialize the http.sys communication on the w3svc communication layer and therefore could not be started. The data field contains the error number. 0000: 05 00 07 80 ... I have found where they suggest that everyone or users is not in the bypass traverse checking and I have checked they are in there. If anyone has an...

What is the next step after mailbox mig 03 to 03 different domains
Running 03srv and Exc03 in both domains and I am not sure what needs to be done in source domain after the mailbox move to the target. ...

Host another AD domain's email on Exchange 5.5/2003
Problem: I need to host the email for a small subsidiary who is in their own AD forest and currently using a hosted email service that will be going away mid-next year. I currently use Exchange 5.5 in my domain and I feel confident that I can setup them up with a domain-trust and host their email on my Exchange box. However I am also going to be migrating to Exchange 2003 next year. Questions: Can I go ahead and set this up, or (as I'm suspecting) would it be better to hold off on setting this up until after completing the Exchange 2003 migration? Thanks, Kumbi "Kumbi" &...

SBS Forefront Removal & Exchange Transport Service
Hi I do hope someone can help me please I have an SBS 2008 system that is working fine apart from when I removed Forefront because the trial has ended & i wanted to install Sophos I followed the procedure of stopping the services before removing & then rebooted & alll seemed to be ok I then installed Sophos SBE & this is working fine but for some reason the Microsoft Exchange Transport service just stops everytime I start it, I can manually restart but this is no solution Has anyone else experienced this with forefront & if so do you know of any perman...

Activity Report/Query Questions
Im trying to get a report out of CRM (whether Crystal or Advanced Find) that will pull all of the contacts that have not had an activity associated with them in the past year. Maybe it's me but i just cannot seem to find a way to do this. This must be a common thing that most companies use so Im figuring it must be possible. Has anyone done a data pull like this before and if so what did you do? Thanks for any help Robert Both advanced find and Crystal reports using the Crystal Enhancements for CRM use fetch XML for queries -- and this is the limiting factor in the type of quer...

Full Product Activation on Money 2005?
I recently received an email message from Microsoft. "We have recently attempted to charge your Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe, Full Product Activation (one-time charge of $39.95 plus tax) to the credit card on file for your account. Please accept this reminder that your credit card has passed its expiration date and needs to be updated. The following credit card is the current payment method on your billing account: etc. I paid $59.95 for Money 2005 when I bought it last September. I was not aware that Money 2005 is a subscription. Is it? Thanks for your help. Greg Lord Not that an...