"Disappearing" lines of text in Word docs

I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word.

Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and
Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the
cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand,
because I'm not trying to get rid of it).

When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in
front of it) taking the place of Line B.

However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears.

Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using MS Office 2007 (with SP2
installed) and Windows Vista Home 32-bit.

That sort of thing usually indicates the need for an upgrade of the
video card driver or, in extreme cases, a better video card.

As an easy first step, try reducing the video hardware acceleration.
Right-click the desktop and choose Personalize. At the bottom of the
dialog, click Display Settings. In the next dialog, click Advanced
Settings; click the Troubleshoot tab; click Change Settings; and
finally, move the slider toward the left. Then try the situation in
Word. If using a lower acceleration setting solves the problem, you
can leave it that way.

If it doesn't help, visit the web site of your video card's
manufacturer and see if they offer a newer version of its driver.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:33:01 -0800, rs913
<rs913@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word.
>
>Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and
>Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the
>cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand,
>because I'm not trying to get rid of it).
>
>When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in
>front of it) taking the place of Line B.
>
>However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears.
>
>Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using MS Office 2007 (with SP2
>installed) and Windows Vista Home 32-bit.
0
Jay
1/5/2010 1:17:26 AM
I tried updating my video card driver, but the problem still persists (and it
seems unlikely that this was the problem as I have not seen any other
"sluggish" behavior with respect to graphics that suggests I have a bad video
card).

Are there any other possible explanations/fixes?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> That sort of thing usually indicates the need for an upgrade of the
> video card driver or, in extreme cases, a better video card.
>
> As an easy first step, try reducing the video hardware acceleration.
> Right-click the desktop and choose Personalize. At the bottom of the
> dialog, click Display Settings. In the next dialog, click Advanced
> Settings; click the Troubleshoot tab; click Change Settings; and
> finally, move the slider toward the left. Then try the situation in
> Word. If using a lower acceleration setting solves the problem, you
> can leave it that way.
>
> If it doesn't help, visit the web site of your video card's
> manufacturer and see if they offer a newer version of its driver.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:33:01 -0800, rs913
> <rs913@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word.
> >
> >Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and
> >Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the
> >cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand,
> >because I'm not trying to get rid of it).
> >
> >When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in
> >front of it) taking the place of Line B.
> >
> >However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears.
> >
> >Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using MS Office 2007 (with SP2
> >installed) and Windows Vista Home 32-bit.
> .

Possibly the printer driver needs updating, but poor graphics or outdated
driver is the usual reason. Don't think there are any other reasons.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"rs913" <rs913@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried updating my video card driver, but the problem still persists (and
> it
> seems unlikely that this was the problem as I have not seen any other
> "sluggish" behavior with respect to graphics that suggests I have a bad
> video
> card).
>
> Are there any other possible explanations/fixes?
>

> "Jay Freedman" wrote:
>
>> That sort of thing usually indicates the need for an upgrade of the
>> video card driver or, in extreme cases, a better video card.
>>
>> As an easy first step, try reducing the video hardware acceleration.
>> Right-click the desktop and choose Personalize. At the bottom of the
>> dialog, click Display Settings. In the next dialog, click Advanced
>> Settings; click the Troubleshoot tab; click Change Settings; and
>> finally, move the slider toward the left. Then try the situation in
>> Word. If using a lower acceleration setting solves the problem, you
>> can leave it that way.
>>
>> If it doesn't help, visit the web site of your video card's
>> manufacturer and see if they offer a newer version of its driver.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>

>> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:33:01 -0800, rs913
>> <rs913@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word.
>> >
>> >Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A
>> >and
>> >Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position
>> >the
>> >cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B
>> >beforehand,
>> >because I'm not trying to get rid of it).
>> >
>> >When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line
>> >in
>> >front of it) taking the place of Line B.
>> >
>> >However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears.
>> >
>> >Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using MS Office 2007 (with
>> >SP2
>> >installed) and Windows Vista Home 32-bit.
>> .

0
Terry

The case of the disappearing signature
Can anybody confirm and/or explain this? 1. Start with Outlook 2007 with at least two Accounts and a signature. 2. Open a New message (in HTML or plain text format) 3. Type a message (not actually necessary) 4. Insert signature 5. Click on the Account icon and change to another account. The signature disappears !?! Mike Tordoff <tordoff@monell.org> wrote: > Can anybody confirm and/or explain this? > > 1. Start with Outlook 2007 with at least two Accounts and a signature. > 2. Open a New message (in HTML or plain text format) > 3. Type a message (not actually necessary...

"Disappearing" lines of text in Word docs
I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word. Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand, because I'm not trying to get rid of it). When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in front of it) taking the place of Line B. However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears. Anyone know why this might ...

New appointment disappearing
Hi When I adding a new appoinment in Outlook it disappearing after some second... I get this mesage in my exchange event viewer: Calendaring agent failed to update the free/busy cache during an appointment save or delete operation. and some equal event Event ID: 3018, 8206, 8213 and 8199 Source: EXCDO W2K3 Server SP1 Exchange 2003 Outlook 2003 sp2 suggestion? Regards Henning Generally when we see calendar information suddenly disappearing we begin to suspect file level scanning of your databases by your Antivirus Software. Make sure that your antivirus software is set to exclude ...

Disappearing DBX folders
I have an odd problem with Outlook Express 6 Since installing MS Windows XP SP2, half my mailbox folders have disappeared. All the DBX files are still there in the outlook express folder (where the DBX folders are stored) but only half show up. How do I get all these working again? Steve W. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress fo...

disappearing column button in publisher 2007
On an existing publisher page that contains a text box I used to be able to insert columns into the text box under the "formatting text box" options. However, the column button has disappeared on this page even though that functionality is available on new pages. Somehow I must have disabled the button -- any ideas how to get it back? I also notice the "text wrapping" options are also missing. Thanks in advance for any sage advice!! The columns button is still on Format, text box, text box tab. Or right-click the text box, format text box, text box tab. If it is ...

Disappearing clip art graphics
I'm running Pub 97 on a new Windows XP Pro machine (Dell P4, 1G mem, nVidia 5700, HP laserjet and HP color printers). PROBLEM: Clip art graphics inserted into Publisher documents "disappear" during some operations. DESCRIPTION: This occurs during several types of operations. I have opened "old" publisher documents created on prior machines and printed them without problem; however, when I change default printers, the graphics sometimes "disappear". This occurs regardless of whether I respond yes or no to the reset objects dialogue. When I ins...

Mails disappearing.
I tried to move a mail to a folder using "Right Click > Move to folder > OK" without selecting any folders. The default selection was "Personal Folder". Noted that this mail had moved from the inbox. But no idea where the mail has gone. Please help to find those mails. Best Regards Same. Then they are probably in the Outlook Today folder. See here how you can retrieve them; www.howto-outlook.com/faq/mailoutlooktoday.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slip...

HELP: Strange Contacts disappearing issue Outlook 2002
Hi, On my boss computer. Running Win XP Pro and Office 2002 (10.6515.6626) SP3, stand alone POP3 based. He has 2,970 contacts in the Contacts folder, sometimes not all contacts show! You have to go to FIND and in the "look for" box just leave it blank and in "Search in" select "contacts" then hit the "Find Now" button... after a few seconds, ALL contacts show ! This is happening now a lot... what is strange also is that on the status bar, it shows 2,970 Items allways, before and after the "find" solution. Isn't that strange ?? I am going...

Disappearing icons 02-24-10
I have AcerPower FH computers with XP Pro (SP3) with all sorts of Acer proprietary security software on it. Since the software was blocking out the DVD player and slowing down the machine, I uninstalled them. NOW all the icons are gone off of the desktop and start menu for just one profile (the one that uses the machine the most). All other users I log on as have icons all over the place. What can I do to get the icons back? I have used the "Show Desktop Icons" method, I have put another copy of explorer.exe (called explorer1.exe) and told the registry to use tha...

Disappearing e-Mails #3
W2k SP4 E2000 SP3 I have a user whose emails are hitting the inbox and then disappearing. There is no delivery to a pst, the mailbox does not have a filter on, there is no Outlook Express setup, no auto- archive set. All rules have been disabled and pst unlinked and new Outlook profile has been created. and this still happens. I have never experienced loss of emails because of a server problem. Also, other users would be complaining. Can anyone think of anything else that may have been missed? To fix the solution, created another inbox and forward the all mail to that inbox usi...

Disappearing InBox items
Windows 2000, Office 2000 User has been having issues with e-mail being deleted. I deleted her profile, checked all other folders, detect and repair, turned off Auto Archive, checked to see if she was in cache mode, checked for rules and filters. I monitored her mail today logging in as her..there was mail. I was still monitoring the mail and it disappeared out of nowhere. She is not hitting popups or deleting her mail..is there something on the server that is creating a rule or auto-archiving of some kind that I can research. Is it possible that the messages are being quarantined..is there...

some emails 'disappearing' from inbox
I hesitate to even post this, it seems so unlikely...but it's really happening. An email arrives in the inbox, and can be selected and read in the preview pane. Click on another - and the first one disappears from the list. Other times, it doesn't disappear - until the next time I start Outlook, and then it's not in the list. Then, some days later, it might be back in there again. It doesn't happen to every email, most behave perfectly as expected, and when they have been read their status changes to 'read'. But I cannot see any pattern or common denominato...

Outlook 2003 Disappearing Reply-To addresses
All, I have a weird problem that I just can't seem to shake. I am using Outlook 2003 SP2 on Win XP SP2. This problem does not happen all the time. In fact, I seem to only notice it from one or two email addresses. Anyway, I get an email from a co-worker. When I respond to the email, his address is no longer in the "To" list of my response. It is there, and valid, in his original email to me, but not in my repsonse email. I have to go back up to the "To" line and enter it in. And what I enter in is the exact same email address that it should have put in there. W...

Publisher, pictures in document keep disappearing when printing
The pictures are in the document, then when it is printed they don't print. Then the pictures disappear from the document altogether. Manually put the pictures back into the document, then printed OK, then 2 hours later the same problem over again, pictures not printing then disappearing from the document. Read the third FAQ here Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Miles" <Miles@di...

Disappearing messages #4
Hello, We run Exchange 2003. Our clients are running mostly Office XP or 2007. We've had a few clients who have reported that all their mail prior to a certain date is gone. (The date has been different for each user). I have checked to see if they had auto archiving enabled, and they don't. We can't find their messages any where. If it was only one or two clients, I would think that they accidentally deleted the messages. But this has happened several times. Any ideas or suggestions? ...

disappearing tab
One of my spreadsheet files has 5 worksheets. When I enter one of them, all the worksheet tabs at the bottom left of the screen disappear. This only happens in one of the worksheets - the others work fine. The only way I am able to get them back is to use the "go to" function to another worksheet. The worksheets which work ok contain all the tabs, but the one with probs, contains no worksheet tabs. Is there any way to unhide the tab, or do I have a corrupt file??? Tools/Options/View and click the Sheet Tabs box near the bottom. On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:21:35 -0700, "mi...

The Amazing Disappearing Margins
When printing Publisher documents using an HP LaserJet 4250, the margins are much too large. The same document will have all borders etc. showing when using any other printer. This would be a printer problem if it weren't for the fact that other programs don't have any problem printing normal margins on the HP LaserJet 4250. This margin problem only occurs when using Microsoft Publisher. In fact, the margins are already gone when I go into the Print Preview. It seems apparent that the problem is some sort of setting within Publisher itself. I have tried changing the margins unde...

Outlook 2003
I have OL2003 and it has worked fine until I recently installed a new hard drive in my system. I guess I had reached my limit of hardware changes, because Windows XP and all my Office apps wanted to be re-activated. No problem - I put the CDs in and went through the activation and everything appeared to be working. Later I opened Outlook to download my e-mail and things went crazy from there. I could see the download progress display. I could see how many messages it was downloading and the progress there, too. It showed the jobs as complete. BUT I CAN'T FIND MY E-MAIL ANYWHERE! It...

disappearing subform
Hi there, I have a form that looks like this: MAIN FORM SUBFORM1 SUBFORM2 SUBFORM3 SUBFORM1 is nested in MAIN FORM; SUBFORM2 is nested in SUBFORM1; and SUBFORM3 is nested in SUBFORM2. My problem is that SUBFORM1 keeps disappearing on me when I'm in form view, circulating through records. It happens whenever I go to the NEXT RECORD in MAIN FORM, then go to the NEXT RECORD in SUBFORM2, and then go to the PREVIOUS RECORD in MAIN FORM.....SUBFORM1 just disappears and SUBFORMS2 AND 3 move up to fill the space. Everyth...

Line disappearing from chart after changing data source
The line in a line chart disappears after I changed the data source for the data series, however the data marker reamains. I tried changing the colour of the plot area, line and marker but the line does not reappear. Anybody has any idea? ...

Default Disappearing Text
Is there a way, in Excel 2003, to have a template with default text in the cell that disappears once the cell is entered? For example, in the form I am creating, one of the cells to be filled is Event Name. Is there a way to have "Event" appear in a cell such that it disappears when I click on the cell? It would be helpful if the default text is non-printable so that it does not show if the document created from the template is printed and not all of the cells are filled with new text. When I make forms, I like to use conditional formatting so that if the cell is blank, the F...

mail actually disappearing
Hello, For a couple of days I've had a weird situation in outlook 2003, whereas there were 2 inbox files in the data file management. Outlook displayed all messages without any problems, but it seems that new incoming messages were being written to the other file, which exists but contains old messages (2004). I've just reinstalled office and the problem was solved, one of the inboxes has been removed from the file management. I have however not been able to find the messages anywhere, in any of the .pst files, It had nothing to do with rules or junk, that all worked fine. I si...

Reading pane keeps disappearing
Hi all, A user where I work has a rather annoying problem in Outlook 2007. He prefers to have the reading pane set to 'Bottom', but whenever he jumps from the Inbox to another folder and back to Inbox, the reading pane disappears. This means he has to manually enable it again (View - Reading pane - Bottom) Any idea why this happens OR is there any way to enable/reset the reading pane 'forever' ? cheers, D. "morradi" <morradi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D7B5295-D345-464D-AED8-597F7447970D@microsoft.com... > A user...

Posts disappearing
Anyone else finding that posts are suddenly not available on the server? Yesterday a few of mine and the further responses suffered this strike-out, and today I have seen one from Bill Kunders that also suffered it. I have checked them on Google and there is nothing offensive in any of the responses. I have also noticed that some of my replies are not appearing. Again I can see everything in Google. Anyone know what is happening? Bob, I have also have some of my responses disappear or not show up at all -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any respo...

Add-Ins Disappearing?
Hello List, Have a strange issue. This particular user has several third party Excel add-ins that he uses. Every few days they disappear completely from the add-in list but the default add-ins stay. Does anybody have any idea on what could be causing this? The times at which they disappear seem to be completely random. Sometimes it could be 2 days, sometimes 4 days etc. Windows XP Excel XP Thanks for your help. Cheers.. Ben When a non-built-in addin is selected in the Addins dialog it is recorded in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Opti...