"Disappearing" lines of text in Word docs

I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word.

Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and
Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the
cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand,
because I'm not trying to get rid of it).

When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in
front of it) taking the place of Line B.

However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears.

Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using MS Office 2007 (with SP2
installed) and Windows Vista Home 32-bit.

That sort of thing usually indicates the need for an upgrade of the
video card driver or, in extreme cases, a better video card.

As an easy first step, try reducing the video hardware acceleration.
Right-click the desktop and choose Personalize. At the bottom of the
dialog, click Display Settings. In the next dialog, click Advanced
Settings; click the Troubleshoot tab; click Change Settings; and
finally, move the slider toward the left. Then try the situation in
Word. If using a lower acceleration setting solves the problem, you
can leave it that way.

If it doesn't help, visit the web site of your video card's
manufacturer and see if they offer a newer version of its driver.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:33:01 -0800, rs913
<rs913@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word.
>
>Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and
>Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the
>cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand,
>because I'm not trying to get rid of it).
>
>When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in
>front of it) taking the place of Line B.
>
>However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears.
>
>Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using MS Office 2007 (with SP2
>installed) and Windows Vista Home 32-bit.
0
Jay
1/5/2010 1:17:26 AM
I tried updating my video card driver, but the problem still persists (and it
seems unlikely that this was the problem as I have not seen any other
"sluggish" behavior with respect to graphics that suggests I have a bad video
card).

Are there any other possible explanations/fixes?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> That sort of thing usually indicates the need for an upgrade of the
> video card driver or, in extreme cases, a better video card.
>
> As an easy first step, try reducing the video hardware acceleration.
> Right-click the desktop and choose Personalize. At the bottom of the
> dialog, click Display Settings. In the next dialog, click Advanced
> Settings; click the Troubleshoot tab; click Change Settings; and
> finally, move the slider toward the left. Then try the situation in
> Word. If using a lower acceleration setting solves the problem, you
> can leave it that way.
>
> If it doesn't help, visit the web site of your video card's
> manufacturer and see if they offer a newer version of its driver.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:33:01 -0800, rs913
> <rs913@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word.
> >
> >Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and
> >Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the
> >cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand,
> >because I'm not trying to get rid of it).
> >
> >When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in
> >front of it) taking the place of Line B.
> >
> >However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears.
> >
> >Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using MS Office 2007 (with SP2
> >installed) and Windows Vista Home 32-bit.
> .

Possibly the printer driver needs updating, but poor graphics or outdated
driver is the usual reason. Don't think there are any other reasons.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"rs913" <rs913@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried updating my video card driver, but the problem still persists (and
> it
> seems unlikely that this was the problem as I have not seen any other
> "sluggish" behavior with respect to graphics that suggests I have a bad
> video
> card).
>
> Are there any other possible explanations/fixes?
>

> "Jay Freedman" wrote:
>
>> That sort of thing usually indicates the need for an upgrade of the
>> video card driver or, in extreme cases, a better video card.
>>
>> As an easy first step, try reducing the video hardware acceleration.
>> Right-click the desktop and choose Personalize. At the bottom of the
>> dialog, click Display Settings. In the next dialog, click Advanced
>> Settings; click the Troubleshoot tab; click Change Settings; and
>> finally, move the slider toward the left. Then try the situation in
>> Word. If using a lower acceleration setting solves the problem, you
>> can leave it that way.
>>
>> If it doesn't help, visit the web site of your video card's
>> manufacturer and see if they offer a newer version of its driver.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>

>> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:33:01 -0800, rs913
>> <rs913@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word.
>> >
>> >Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A
>> >and
>> >Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position
>> >the
>> >cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B
>> >beforehand,
>> >because I'm not trying to get rid of it).
>> >
>> >When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line
>> >in
>> >front of it) taking the place of Line B.
>> >
>> >However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears.
>> >
>> >Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using MS Office 2007 (with
>> >SP2
>> >installed) and Windows Vista Home 32-bit.
>> .

0
Terry

Disappearing Text
Hi. All my new and existing mail in Outlook Express has the subject line and the from populated, but the body of the message won't come up. We get the hourglass and it never goes away. Any ideas? Please email answers to kevinbrand@earthlink.net. Thanks Kevin Hi, Start --> Run --> Regsvr32 inetcomm.dll Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1284e01c41826$c0787480$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi. All my new and existing mail in Outlook Express has > the subject line and the from populate...

Disappearing Messages #2
when a new message arrives in Inbox, after I open it then close it, it disappears and I cannot find it in any of my folders, nor in the deleted items folder. If I attempt to move a message marked "read" from a different folder to the Inbox, it disappears. However, if the message is marked "unread" it stays until, fo course I open it and close it. The point seems to be that no message marked "read" remains in Inbox. There is a setting somewhere that is controlling this behavior and I haven't been able to find it. Any help is appreciated. SeniorSirjoe Your view...

Code Disappearing
Hello, My database appears to have wiped all the code off all my command buttons! This is the second time that this has happened. I cannot work out what has happened. Please can someone help, with suggestions of what may be happening? Thanks What exactly does "My database appears to have wiped all the code off all my command buttons!" mean? There's code in the form's module but the buttons don't work? There's no code in the form's module pertaining to the buttons? What? Also, you should post the Version/Service Pack you have. -- There...

Contacts Disappearing
I've used Windows Live Mail on my XP desktop for a couple of years without and problems. But recently, some of my contacts have been disappearing. I can't see any pattern, but I'm guessing that 20 to 25 percent have simply gone away. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? How many total contacts ? Are they backed up to csv and/or vcf file ? If Live ID contacts, does similar disappearance exist on the web server(contacts.live.com) ? -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Bob" <bobinsfo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:0907D610-6281-4D52-A38...

How do I stop an apostrophe from disappearing?
I want a cell to read 'text' (with both apostrophes). It show up like this in the equation bar, but not the cell (first spostrophe is missing). Changing the "transistion navigation keys" box does nothing. Thanks in advance! Try apostrophe apostrophe text apostrophe. It worked for me. "jpeck" wrote: > I want a cell to read 'text' (with both apostrophes). It show up like this > in the equation bar, but not the cell (first spostrophe is missing). > Changing the "transistion navigation keys" box does nothing. > Thanks in advan...

Messages disappearing in the categorizer?
Environment: Exchange 2003 SP (mixed mode). Problem: when checking via the Exchange Tracker, I found a few messages seemingly disappearing somewhere in the depths of Exchange: the tracking ends with "SMTP: Message submitted to Categorizer". I found this even for a message destined for two recipients: one got the message ("Message delivered locally to Store..."), the other one is still waiting... I know there are a few KB articles about possible DC/GC problems. But up to now I have no clue to DC/GC problems. The server generally seems to work well. Any ideas about ho...

Track in CRM disappearing from emails
We have the outlook client installed on our machines here at work. Two employees would go into their inbox and want to track an email but the "Track in CRM" would not be showing in the toolbar. It just seems to have disappeared. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. I've found that users with this issue typically have a proxy set in IE under the Connections > LAN Settings. If there is a proxy set here - you'll need to remove it. "the_cheat" wrote: > We have the outlook client installed on our machines here at work. Two > employees wou...

Outlook 2007: Deleted files are disappearing
I am using Outlook 2007. When I delete an e-mail it just disappears instead of showing up in the deleted files folder (personal folder) and/or IMAP). I have checked for these files in my IMAP deleted files, IMAP trash and personal deleted files. Can anyone tell me where these files have gone? Could it be something in my settings? Thank you -- wha kolo Hi, If you want to recover those deleted mails ,try the data-recover tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. It can help to undelete the emails you delete by mistake. You can download a free demo version at http://...

disappearing chrts/graphs
All of a sudden all my seven embedded graph-charts (each on a different sheet) turned to grey squares. When I click on the charts the become visible again. However when clicking outside a chart it becomes grey again. In a mother version of the file I don't have this problem, so I conclude that it is not a hardware problem. Does someone have a solution ? Thanks in advance Hi, You need to access the Tools menu. Select Options. Click on 'View' tab. Click on 'Show All' under the Objects heading. And that should do it! Dan. ---------------------------------------...

Disappearing Bill
Hi, I've got a bit of a weird problem. I'm using Money 2003 and have come across a problem with a particular recurring bill that is not showing up in the "Bills and Deposits" section. It is showing up in the budget as a ongoing monthly bill (has the marker in front) and I can see where I last paid the bill (registered) in the Account. I cannot delete the budget entry (as it is a bill) and when I try and edit it from the budget section, non of the changes stick. I've also created a new recurring bill it shows up twice in the budget section. I'm having no pr...

The "disappearing" subform
Anyone have an idea on this one? I created an Access 2003 (SP3 + hotfixes) form with a subform. On my machine it works fine. Both load initially and all is right with the world. BTW, I'm running XP SP2. When I run it on an identical machine (same model, same os, Access 2003 - same SPs & hotfixes on both) the subform does NOT load initially. This causes as AfterUpdate event error because I reference the subform in the AfterUpdate of a combo box on the Parent form. Here's what I've tried: - I did have 2003 & 2007 installed on mine. Removed both, i...

Outlook 2007 using IMAP settings: Deleted files are disappearing
I am using Outlook 2007 (using IMAP settings) and Windows 7. When I delete an e-mail in Outlook, a line appears through the message and it disappears after a few seconds but the message does not get moved to the deleted (Outlook and IMAP) files folder. I have checked for the deleted message in my IMAP deleted files and/or trash folder via webmail as well as in the Outlook deleted folder. I have unchecked the auto archive and the option to purge the folder on exiting in Outlook. Can anyone tell me where these files have gone? Could it be something in my settings? Is this a bug? Thank yo...

Outlook
Platform: XP pro, IE6. When I try to access a certain website (White Pages (au)) well connection is apparently made, then hey presto, all is gone. Not only does the URL disappear but my browser instantly closes down and all I have left is whatever is on the desktop. This happen over a number of different links to this site, not just Google etc. Any ideas please? How is this Outlook related? Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the ...

Disappearing lines
Hi: I'm having problems with text in Publisher. I'm using Publisher 2002 on Windows XP. When I type text, sometimes, a line dissapears. I can't even select it. It's an open space. Anyone has seen this problem before? Thanks. Sylvia Read the third FAQ here Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Sylvia27" <Sylvia27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03DDB1D8-B...

Tool Bar Icons Disappearing
I am trying to customize my tool bars by adding existing icons from the custom list, not normally a problem. Recently, I have tried to add the "Mail Recipient" icon. It shows on the tool bar when in the customize mode but disappears when I close the customize window. Any Idea what is causing this? Excel 2002 SP2 John Hi John Is File>Send To..Mail Recipient working on that machine ? Maybe this is your problem http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm Number 2 -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "John Wood" <John Wood@discussions.microsoft....

Disappearing Email in Cached Mode
I have a situation with one user only at a client site where new email from one and only one sender reaches his mailbox but then disappears. This is Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 SP2 on an SBS2003 server. The messages are coming from a scanner that's on the same network segment as the server and the client PC. The SMTP server log shows the messages coming in and being accepted just fine. If you use an Outlook 2003 profile with Cached Exchange Mode turned off, you see the messages from this scanner in the InBox just fine. Same when using OWA. But if you use an Outlook 2003 p...

Disappearing resource and/or cost
We're using Project 2007 Pro and Server. In this case over a WAN connection, which otherwise seems t work fine. We have one particular resource, a contractor, in one particular project schedule, which keeps disappearing. Tghe resource was initially set up as Work, with a rate of 1 and each assignment (progress payments) were fudged by entering hours for dollars. The behaviour noticed was that you could open the project a couple times to work on it and everything would be fine. Then, after a while, you would open the project and either the cost field entyr would be miss...

Disappearing chart legend
I have an Excel chart. Originally it was a column chart with two data series, comparing averages from two different data populations. Recently I added a third series which put a dotted horizontal line across the column chart to show the overall average. When I added that horizontal line I named it "Overall Average = [x]" and that name immediately showed up in the chart legend at the bottom. Which was great. The way this project works is: All of the data for the chart is in a separate worksheet called "Data." I wipe out all the data and save the workbook to be used as a te...

Batches Disappearing?
We have a new credit card module using Nodus Epay Now we have payments created after working hours for the first time. We are noticing that these batches disappear before morning when entered after hours. Weekend transactions are completely lost. Is there a way to handle these batches when no one is there to post them? Can they carryover or be automatically processed? I don't know if this will help in your situation, but the disappearing entry reminded me of this. You may want to open the General Ledger setup window and uncheck the box that allows Deletion of Saved Transactions. ...

Disappearing tabs
If I slide the dividing bar to the left, so as to keep column A always on screen, I find this causes the tabs identifying the different worksheets to disappear, and they can only be found be moving the bar back or right clicking the arrow heads at the bottom left of the screen. Is there some way to keep the tabs visible, but on the right side of the dividing bar? Roger PB Believe you're using Window > Split on col A Perhaps try instead Window > Freeze Panes with B2 selected? This'll freeze col A and the top row, but w/o affecting the sheet tabs -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, ...

disappearing file #2
Twice I've had a huge Publisher file disappear after saving it. The second time, I backed it up to an outside disk. When I tried to open the back up, Publisher opened the file but would not let me work on it. What is happening to my saved files? -- kmd Are you certain the path to the file is correct? If you remember the file name you could do a search. As for the file that won't let you edit, try to copy it to your hard drive and then try to open and edit. -- Don Vancouver USA "Kay" <yes@discussions.micro.com> wrote in message news:CDAEE084-9B2C-4098-9307-...

files disappearing
I have a problem relating to word files. They are stored in a share on a microsoft server and worked fine until about a week ago. The user can access the share folder the file is stored in and sees a particular .doc word file; as soon as they open that file (mac:office x) it is converted to a word work file L_xxx(number is always diferent). They are then stuck because if they try and close word it asks do they want to save the file, they click no and the file is deleted. Does anyone have a solution; I have found a few articles asking the same/similar questions but as yet no answers. ...

disappearing menu bar
This is happening in Excel 2000 sp3 I have a user that had the menu bar disappear. I've removed it an uninstalled it and the menu bar is still not visable. You can not use alt and the letter in order to go to a menu option either. You also can not right click in a cell to bring up any options. Any suggestions? Hi Pam This can be a corrupt or bloated toolbar file The .xlb file has all Toolbar customization in it. Close Excel Do a search for .xlb in windows Rename the file you find (my file is named Excel10.xlb in 2002) Start Excel Deleting the file or renaming will do no harm o...

Users Disappearing From Projects
Project Server 2007 SP2 w/Dec CU. We have seen a scenario in our EPM environments where users will occasionally disppear from project teams. We know that changing user security with workspace synchronization enabled could remove users from workspaces but this appears to remove users from the team of project themselves. We checked the queue and nobody was making changes to 2 separate projects yet several users (it appears at random) were removed completely from the project from one day to the next and needed to be added back. Has anyone ever encountered this behavior before? I...

Why are a number of the newsgroups disappearing?
Hi, I subscribe to a number of MS newsgroups, but, for example, when I clicked on the newsgroup for word.general I got a message that that newsgroup was not available from the MS server. Is MS phasing out the communities/newsgroups? Let me know, because I find them incredibly helpful. Thanks in advance. On 07/17/2010 11:43 AM, sheana wrote: > Hi, > > I subscribe to a number of MS newsgroups, but, for example, when I > clicked on the newsgroup for word.general I got a message that that > newsgroup was not available from the MS server. Is MS phasing out the &...