XP to Windows 7?

I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of programs
I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and its  ease of
integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I were to install
Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any way to migrate programs
from the XP partition to make them useable?

0
frogliver

Programs no! But data yes.

All programs would have to be installed again.

Rui

"frogliver" <f_gliver@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of programs
>I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and its  ease of
>integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I were to install
>Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any way to migrate
>programs from the XP partition to make them useable?

0
ruic
5/25/2010 3:16:34 PM
frogliver wrote:
> I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of
> programs I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and
> its  ease of integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I
> were to install Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any
> way to migrate programs from the XP partition to make them useable?

Not really. The only way to migrate the programs is to perform an
in-place upgrade from XP to Vista and then perform a second in-place
upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. And still this only work if  your XP
was never corrupted to begin with!

What is it you really want to do? Do you want to fix your presently
corrupted XP system? Or are you in the market for a new PC anyway (one
that presumably is pre-loaded with Windows 7) and plan on transferring
your data and installing all the programs (from scratch -- it's the only
way) you intend to use?

0
Daave
5/25/2010 3:19:51 PM
you might want to use
microsoft's upgrade
advisor to see if your
machine is compatible
with w7.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"frogliver" <f_gliver@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of
> programs I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and its
> ease of integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I were to
> install Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any way to
> migrate programs from the XP partition to make them useable?

0
db
5/25/2010 4:01:20 PM
frogliver wrote:

> I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of programs
> I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and its  ease of
> integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I were to install
> Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any way to migrate programs
> from the XP partition to make them useable?

Since hard disks die, what were you going to do to keep those programs
for which you apparently don't have their installation media?
0
VanguardLH
5/25/2010 5:22:05 PM
What if you could fix the XP bootup?
What happens when you start your computer?

ju.c

"frogliver" <f_gliver@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OsqUCVB$KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of programs
> I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and its  ease of
> integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I were to install
> Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any way to migrate programs
> from the XP partition to make them useable?

0
ju
5/25/2010 7:04:50 PM
On May 25, 7:19=A0pm, "frogliver" <f_gli...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of progra=
ms
> I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and its =A0ease of
> integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I were to install
> Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any way to migrate progr=
ams
> from the XP partition to make them useable?

Have you checkup your bootsettings. Did you are facing problem of
Harddisk or the Operating system.
0
Adnan

password upon drilling-down in FRx 6.7
Hello: When an end user drills-down into an account in FRx 6.7, it makes her enter a password every time. I have known that FRx will, indeed, prompt for a password upon drilling-down into the transaction detail—but not upon drilling down into an account. Other users that she works with claim that they do not have to enter a password when drilling into an account. And, she says that she is indeed just drilling down into an account and not into the underlying transaction detail. Does anyone know of a way to prevent this password prompting when drilling down into an account, in any ca...

Sales Payment Terms Entry Window security
In the Sales Transaction Entry Window (SOP) users can open the Sales Payment Terms Entry window by using the Terms Discount expansion icon. How does one prevent the users from accessing this window? This window name does not appear in the security setup. I suspect the window is really part of the Sales Transaction Entry window. My objective is to prevent users from entering data in this window. -- M Peterson Not sure what version you're using...but in my version 8.0 SP 3 this screen is called Sales Trade Discount Entry. If this is the screen you're after, you can set secu...

Yahoo/Verizon Emails Lost Switching to Windows Mail
When I set up my Windows Mail account, I transferred my Yahoo/Verizon emails from that server. Upon doing this, when I went back directly to my email account on the Yahoo/Verizon server, all the emails were gone. Can I get all those emails to also be on my account on the Yahoo/Verizon server, and if not, can I just reverse the whole process without any problems? - in other words, can I drop off of Windows Mail and restore my account on Yahoo/Verizon to its original state? Thanks for help anyone can give. Keith "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Windows
Hi - hope someone can help I get the following message: exception processing message c00000013 75b6bf7c 4 75b6f7c 75b6bf7c This just started for no apparant reason. The message won't cancel, try again or continue. It returns after re boot. Compter still runs fine - just can't get rid of the message. Only recent program addition was Quicken 2010 - how ever this error message didn't happen immediately after it was loaded. I did find some threads on this but nothing there that seemed to directly address this issue. Running XP Home edition version 2002 Service Pac...

Immediate window disappeared from the VBE
For some reason, the immediate window has gone from the VBE, instead there is a black space where it should be. View -> Immediate window doesn't do anything. Any idea? Thanks in advance Joseph Hi Joseph Try Control + G -- Regards Roger Govier "JOG" <philippeoget@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:50pf4gF1hdtcpU1@mid.individual.net... > For some reason, the immediate window has gone from the VBE, instead > there is a black space where it should be. > View -> Immediate window doesn't do anything. > > Any idea? > > Thanks in advan...

Transfering Messages from Windows Live Mail to Outlook
I have a customer who is using Windows Live Mail (WLM). He has 142 441 files that take 13.3Gb. He keeps on loosing contacts everytime he quits WLM. In addition, He uses the signature feature to preprogram replies to his emails. With WLM when you reply, they all disappear and only the default signature remains. Finally, everytime he starts WLM, it is very slow because it scans his 142 441 files all the time. So I recommended to use Outlook. However, it is limited to 2Gb when we try to import data from WLM. Can you recommend a solution? -- Christopher Kozely EURL US Info In W...

Charts GONE after Windows XP SP3 Update!?!
I have Office 2007 SP1 Enterprise Edition and, until last night, Windows XP Professonal SP2 installed on my PC. Last night I went through the normal Microsoft Update site to upgrade to SP3 and everything seemed to go well. However, I noticed this morning that all of my Excel files I have that previously had worksheets on them showing charts are not displaying those charts at all. The worksheets that they were on are still in the files, but the charts themselves seem to have disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know of a way to resolve this? Thanks... Hi, ...

Registry on windows 2008
Hi all, With Windows 2003, I'm using HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run to lunch process each time the user log in. I tryed to create the same key at the same place with Windows 2008 but it doesn't work. How can I do the same with Windows 2008 ? Does the Run Key still exist ? Thank you, Olivier On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:45:02 -0700, OlivierT <OlivierT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >With Windows 2003, I'm using >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run to lunch >proces...

OWA / Windows XP SP2 / IE 6 SP2
We have come across an issue in our environment using OWA on a windows xp sp2 box. A script error occurs when, within OWA, you create a new message, click the "To" button, find a user from the GAL, and then after highlighting the user, click the "Properties" button on the bottom of the find screen. The script error is: "Object doesn't support this property or method". I also get this error using IE on Windows Server 2003 SP1. I do not get this error on Windows XP SP1, Windows XP SP2 with IE 7 beta. Has anyone come across this error, and found a soluti...

Start program in minimized window
How do I start a program (e.g. Internet Explorer Version 8) in a minimized window, just a tab in the toolbar? Can this be done for any program and is there a universal switch for this? PSRumbagh wrote: > How do I start a program (e.g. Internet Explorer Version 8) in a minimized > window, just a tab in the toolbar? Can this be done for any program and is > there a universal switch for this? - To start the program minimized to the Taskbar: Create a shortcut to the program, right-click the shortcut, click Properties, change "Run:" to "Minimized". ...

PostMessage and address of window
I want send RegisterWindowMessage from some thread to dialog class to listbox. I create this thread in dialog class so I use "this" to pass address window, but It doesn't work. Compilator doesn't show any error. But on the listbox the message which I send from thread doesn't appear there. Code: //dialog class: static UINT UWM_SEND_DATA = ::RegisterWindowMessage(_T("UWM_SEND_DATA"); SerialWriter* writer; //my thread in "SerialWriter" class writer = (SerialWriter *)AfxBeginThread(RUNTIME_CLASS(SerialWriter),THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL,0,CREATE_SUSP...

Can Sales for Outlook be installed on a client with XP Home?
Hello, The client OS requirements for Sales for Outlook are either Windows 2000 SP3 or XP Professional SP1. Can someone please explain why XP Home will not meet the requirements? Has anyone tried installing Sales for Outlook on a client machine w/XP Home? Our client has laptops with XP Home and would like more explanation as to why they'll need to upgrade to XP Pro. Thanks for any help, Rebecca XP home has no support for Active Directory Domains, and - windows integrated authentication - sql replication for offline work would not work i don't know if msde will install on xp hom...

catalog merge #7
OK, I have a lot of genealogical images that I have cataloged in an Access database. I've successfully merged them in Publisher 2003 and created a catalog that shows the photo with all the related detail. My question is: now that I've created this merge, I would like to add more images and information to the database. Can I use the design of the catalog I've already created to make a new catalog - such as in a template, or do I have to use the wizard to completely re-create a new catalog design every time I change the database? Sure you can, when you open the catalog wizard,...

Epson Action Laser & Win 7-64 bit
I think the answer is using my AL 1500 is a lost cause, but here goes. I have this fancy new custom built PC with Win7- 64 bit HP and I love it and the OS so far. What I didn't realize when I ordered the PC with the Asus motherboard is that there's no parallel port. My 15 yr old Epson Action Laser 1500 is my workhorse, but I haven't been able to trick Windows into thinking it's an HP LaserJet III like some folks have been able to do. I got an LPT to USB cable and in hooking it up, Windows shows Unidentified Printing Device, and "this device is working p...

Outlook Express Error Message Since Installing XP SP2
Since installing XP Service Pack 2, Outlook Express will not download my family's Hotmail accounts. The error message is displayed below. Have deleted accounts and re introduced them, have uninstalled Outlook Express and Re loaded it, have added it to the Exceptions section in the New Windows Firewall Utility and all to no avail. What have I overlooked? Redirected Configuration: Account: XXX_XXXXX Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp User name: xxx_xxxxxx@hotmail.com Protocol: HTTPMail Port: 0 Secure(SSL): 0 Code: 80004005 -- David Wh...

Windows 7 backup & SBS2008 Prem.
Hi, I have an SBS 2008 network, with Windows 7 clients. I setup a share on my server for the clients to use to do backups. I also have the user's profile folders redirected to the server as well, which covers Documents and Desktop (the default I guess when you tell sbs to redirect). Everything seems to work fine as far as the backups go, but the Windows 7 Action Center is complaining that I need to check my backup status. When I do, it mearly tells me that it skipped Documents, Desktop, Video etc. because they are on the server. I'm fine with those being skipped as th...

Working window in Access "sticks" to Maximum size
Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to 'unstick' a working form/report/table, etc in Access. Even if I design an entry form at say, 3" by 5" wide, it'll automatically maximize to fill up the entire working screen next to the navigation bar. To my knowledge, I have never set any property to maximize every window. . . Did I miss a global setting, or is it an option I can turn off? Thanks, Tripler "Tripler of the SDMB" <Tripler of the SDMB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96E65DF9-A187-4710-A6AC-2350A66F38D1@microso...

How do I open old Excel Worksheets when XP SP2 installed?
After installing XP SP2 (Service Pack 2), I can no longer open previously created Excel Worksheets. Newly created Excel Worksheets work fine. The error message for the olf Worksheets indicates that they are not Excel format. Should I go back to my "pre SP2" XP???? Mike I'm not going to be much help but want to get one thing straight. When you say XP SP2 do you mean Windows XP or Office XP(2002)? There is an SP3 for Office XP(2002) which you should download if you haven't done so. On Office download site. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx?disp...

Pocket Money 2003 on Windows Mobile 2003
When I tried to install Pocket Money 2003 on my Windows Mobile 2003 machine, it does not allow me to do so and a error message pops up saying that it will only install on Pocket PC2002 machine. What should I do? Will Pocket Money 2004 do the trick? ...

XP vs Vista
Curruntly I own one station(rms2.0) window xp and SQL 2000 special addition because my data already cross 4gb. Now I am planing to ad second station in my store. Can I run one station xp and new one Vista or I have to have both window xp. Do I need to upgrade sql server. I need more help before I buy second station. Harjit, I got for a test an XP (virtual) and a Vista system with R.M.S. SO. With a database on a SQL2000 instance on the XP system. The Vista and XP system worked both fine and fast, so that is no problem. The only thing that could be a problem is drivers for your hardwa...

How do I install outlook 2000 on Windows 7?
I have had multiple problems getting Outlook 2000 to work on a brand new System 7 machine. To my knowledge, it has no other versions installed, yet each time I launch, I get the setup screen again that says there is another version. I can receive mail but when I try to send it says I can't because it can't find the WAB DLL. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the same result. (Word, Excel and PPt work fine.) Any clues? Outlook2k is not compatible with Vista let alone win7 It may work if you setup outlook2k in workgroup mode, but not neccessarily without proble...

Windows XP Upadte re outlook
I understand that an windows update was supplied however this attachment removes all attachments. I would like to know how to remove this attachment because I want attachments. I believe that it is a windows update because I say this problem stated on a TV show, however I was unaware that I was having this problem at that time so I did not not the update number. Please Please help me if you can. It would be helpful if you sent me the answer by email to sscotu@hotmail.com but remember that all attachments are removed so the answer must be in the text. Many Many thanks Richard Armitage...

Windows Media player 11 won't burn audio cd's
I have had my HP computer for 2 yrs and the Windows media player functioned properly up until 4 months ago. All of a sudden it will either not burn a music disc at all or the first few songs will burn and the rest will either skip or freeze up the disc in the player. I do not receive any error messages. Data CD's burn fine. I first bought new and different CD's with the same result. Then I thought it was a problem with the burner but I then used an alternate software program to burn music CD's and they were fine. Any suggestions, Thankyou -- rmyers8 Posted via http...

Net Folders #7
I have the complete installation (all options set to run completely from my computer) of Office 2000. I received an email to accept a subscription to a net folder, but there was no accept button. I have Net Folders installed. I received the email in Outlook express. I forwarded it to Outlook and nothing was different. How do I accept? ...

Watermark #7
I want to make my company logo a watermark on all my spreadsheets. have figured out how to make a text watermark, but can't figure out ho to include a picture in the watermark. I have the image in a word doc. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi maybe the following sites will help you: http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/formulas.html http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/Watermark.zip And for Excel 2002+: http://cpap.com.br/orlando >-----Original Message----- >I want to make my company logo a watermark on all my spreadsheets. I >have figured out how to make a text...