XP Install

I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along with an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides.  Could someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow to successfully complete the upgrade ??

--------------=  Posted using GrabIt  =----------------
------=  Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
-=  Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/  =-

0
Dilly

On 06/20/2010 04:52 AM, Dilly Dally wrote:
> I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along with an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides.  Could someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow to successfully complete the upgrade ??

just boot with your XP cd

delete all partitions, then create a new NTFS partition
and proceed with the installation

philo
6/20/2010 10:39:47 AM
Dilly Dally wrote:
> I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along
> with an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides.
> Could someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow
> to successfully complete the upgrade ??

So you are doing a hardware upgrade and a clean installation of Windows XP?

Follow the hardware manufacturer's instructions and suggestions for the
hardware side.  You have not given enough information to really assist you
with that end.  Since you do not seem to be replacing the motherboard (or
did not mention it) - you need to make sure the processor you use will work
in the motherboard you have - as well as the RAM and video device you
choose.

For the software side - my suggestion may be a bit extreme - but should give
you the cleanest results giving what you have so far.  You will definitely
be inside the machine at some point -so discovery of the name brand of the
hard disk drive should be easy.  Once you have this - visit that
manufacturer's web page and locate/download their diagnostics/utility disk
(usual a CD ISO image you can make into an actual bootable CD.)  Use that to
completely wipe the hard disk drive once you have everything else in place
(all the hardware swapped out.)

Now - you have a clean slate - completey ready for you to install whatever
on.

Clean Install Windows XP

Enjoy.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/20/2010 12:38:15 PM
Dilly Dally wrote:
> I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along with
> an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides.  Could
> someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow to
> successfully complete the upgrade ??

Please fix your word wrap (or lack of it).

Do you want to lose the Linux or configure a dual boot?

0
Daave
6/20/2010 1:42:03 PM
Dilly Dally wrote:
> I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along with an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides.  Could someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow to successfully complete the upgrade ??

     All legitimate WinXP installation CDs are bootable and have the
capability of deleting, creating, and formatting partitions.

     Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD.  You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce

New install of GP 9.0 and imported GP 7.5 data?
Currently, I'm running GP 7.5 and we are in the planning stages of our upgrade. The question that was asked, is it safe to do a fresh install of GP 9.0 and then import 7.5 data. No. Do a fresh install of v7.5 on a test box, restore data from live, do the upgrade. Brenner -- www.KlenzmanConsulting.com "hgoodwin" wrote: > Currently, I'm running GP 7.5 and we are in the planning stages of our > upgrade. The question that was asked, is it safe to do a fresh install of GP > 9.0 and then import 7.5 data. > can I ask why? also one more question.. Is GP b...

windows installer keeps popping up
windows installer keeps popping up to install microsoft money express 2002. please , how do i make it stop. I have tried all functions to make it quit, but "another application is running, close that one first pops up. Try the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315113&Product=mny "Roy" <hillstromrk@msn.com> wrote in message news:0a9b01c38c64$05fcfcf0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > windows installer keeps popping up to install microsoft > money express 2002. please , how do i make it stop. I > have tried all functions to make...

Deleted file locked in Windows Vista, 2008 and XP
I suddenly have this problem, at least 8 times in the past 2 weeks on a Windows 2008 server, once on a Vista machine, and now once on a Windows XP Professional machine. Each time a file (different files) is deleted, but remains visible, can not be read / renamed / copied / deleted, and only disappears after a reboot. The delete is done in various ways, sometimes a kill statement in VB6 or Excel/VBA, or a DOS MOVE or DELETE statement. I believe the file was at that time already held / locked by the system, and therefore the delete was accepted but not executed. Sometimes p...

Can Not Install Money 2005 Small Business
Little info first. New Pc Factory condition. Windows Xp Home.Sp2 has Money 2005 installed. I removed Money from the pc and all entries in the registry. Then I placed the 2005 Small Biz cd in to run the install . I keep getting Money failed to load some componets please try again. I have called support and they are of no help. Re-installed my OS still same problems. I went as far as removing all virus protection. Please Help very upsetting PS. I was able to install money 2005 small biz, on another pc, so the disk is fine acclamaid@@@tmail.com ...

Inconsistent CFileDialog behavior between Windows XP and 2000
Hello, I have extended the CFileDialog class so I can select Folders instead of just Files. When I send the CDM_GETSPEC message to get the currently selected item, I get the correct folder when I test with Windows XP. However, when I run my app on Wndows 2000, DM_GETSPEC returns an empty string (""). Also, sending of the CDM_GETFILEPATH message works as desired for XP, but only returns the parent folder in 2000. Any help would be much appreciated. -Neil ...

Server install HOL
Hi all: I just posted a new HOL covering the server installl... http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann/ -- John [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm. ...

VISTA+unable to install WLM even with wlm85.msi
To be honest I’ve been pushing this installation off because of the errors encountered and since I have the company laptop – with XP. ;-) But now I’ve tried everything that I may know, searched everywhere without any success. Here goes: PC characteristics: Dell Inspiron 530 Processor 1.8Ghz Ram 2Gb Vista SP1 1. Used ZapMessenger.exe because of previous installation of Windows Live Messenger. Don’t remember the version thou… 2. Tried to install Messenger.MSI but had the following error : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\UIPlugins\{0776F107-F5A6-404B-9A7...

GP 8.0 installation/setup assistance
Can anyone advise me how/where to locate a bona fide expert in GP to install 8.0, (on a small office network - 5 workstations) set it up properly, provide some basic training, and then be available for telephone support on a "as needed" basis. We have been in contact with some MS Solutions Partners and though they no doubt are experts, their fees are simply out of the reach of a small business such as ours. If anyone could assist locating such an individual (in the Phoenix/Scottsdale AZ area) , it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.. Rick I think you ...

Locksmith Los Angeles1-877-364-5264 Locks Installation Rekey Lockout Services
Locksmith Los Angeles1-877-364-5264 Locks Installation Rekey Lockout Services Los Angeles Locksmth locksmith services, emergency locksmith, car locksmith, auto locksmith, lock picking, locks and keys, rekeying door locks, office locksmith, apartments building locksmith, locks chnage, locksmith tools, locksmith service, rekey, find locksmith, 24 hour locksmith, locked out, lockout, unlock, open,keys,rekeying,locksmith Los Angeles,locksmith keys,locksmith locks, home, office, safe, door, gate, install, repair, installtion, garage door openers, mailbox locks, cylinders, file cabinets locks, deadb...

IBF won't install
Hello all I have CRM 1.2 setup on our SBS server and working fine. Now I'm trying to install the Information Bridge Framework. The instructions state this needs to be on another serer in an SBS CRM implementation. So, I've setup a W2K3 Standard server in the domain soley for this purpose. However, on running the installation I get : "Microsoft CRM is not installed on the computer. You must install it before you can install the Information Bridge Framework for Microsoft CRM Server" This seems to completely contradict the installation instructions. Am I missing somethi...

Cannot open excel files; Installation error; source CD won't run
None of my excel files (Outlook 2003) can be opened. Message: please wait while Windows configuresoutlook standard 2003. Then further message: Installation error file not found, run original CD. Have tried but the CD will not run ...

installing latest update (12.11)
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Dear all, for some reason, I do not seem to be able to install the latest office 2008 update (12.11). I have installed service pack 1 and the updated autoupdate tool. The update appears in the autoupdate window and will download , but will not install. I come up with a message " You cannot install Office 12.1.1 update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume" I suspect that it got to be preferences related, as my installation of Office is completely...

want to un-install Office X, can't
I want to re-install MS Office X on my iMac, having tried everything else mentioned in this and other forums to get rid of a quit-on- startup issue. Trouble is, I get a "you don't have permission to do this" when I try to run the uninstall program. I originally had Office on a G4 iMac, then moved it early last year to an Aluminum iMac. (It will no longer run, of course, on the older computer, which is on the same network.) I'm told to log on as the user who installed the program ... but there are three user id's on my new iMac and none of them will run the un- installer....

cant install 12.1.0
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel just installed office 2008 from disc and when i try to update it to 12.1.0 it wont let me install because "You cannot install Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume." how do i change this? On 7/16/09 12:32 PM, in article 59b78464.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "jloloew@officeformac.com" <jloloew@officeformac.com> wrote: > "You cannot install Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) on this volume. A v...

Problems with CRM 4.0 install on server running MOSS2007
I am trying to load CRM 4.0 on a Server 2003 box that is running SQL 2005 SP2 and MOSS 2007. I get a report server error that is not making sense and would appreciate assistance. Below is the error I see: Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://server2003/reportserver. Error: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'. The request failed with the error message: -- <HTML dir="ltr"> <HEAD><meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft SharePoint" />...

Integration with GP install problem
I am trying to install integration on CRM 1.0 But the setup stops midway. I have created the IntegrationUser account in the active directory and under CRM as given in the manual. But still i am getting error The user specified does not have the required CRM previleges. Has anyone else had this problem? is there something im missing Sounds like the machine doesn't have write rights on the machine where the integration is installed. Log on as the administrator. "sac" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74d301c3e771$5067b380$a001280a@phx.gbl... &g...

XP Setup Disc
I have mislaid my XP master disc amd would like to do a SF Check but I am asked to insert the master disc. Can I use someone elses disc or does it have to be the original Bob You can as long as it is the same version and service pack level -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Whenever" <qwerty@nospam.net> wrote in message news:v7adndIMZpcph7XWnZ2dnUVZ8vqdnZ2d@bt.com... >I have mislaid my XP master disc amd would like to do a SF Check but I am asked to ...

xp junk mail
it is just not deleting anything, just "greying" out. this is because i set the colour to grey. with sp3 installed And your question is? How to change the color? Make a rule to delete the spam? What? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Squibbly asked: | it is just not deleting anything, just "greying" out. this is because | i set t...

Problems with VC++ 6.0 in Windows XP
I have recently upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. I am getting runtime errors in Visual C++ 6.0 using XP that didn't exist in 2000. For example: "Unhandled exception in <program_name>.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000008: Invalid Handle". These problems only seem to occur in the Visual Studio IDE. When running compiled versions (debug or release) outside of VS, everything works fine. Based on article KB818493 it could be an MDAC issue (using MDAC 2.53 in Win 2000 and MDAC 2.71 in Win XP). If so, what are my options to fix this problem? How can I get the recommended pa...

Money wants to install itself
Whenever I open IE, My Computer, Windows Explorer, My Documents, etc., the Money 2003 Installer pops up. I hit cancel, it comes back up, repeat this twice. Then whatever I want opens. Xp also takes it's time to open other applications, it's as if there is a pause command in front of every .exe file. A few of my desktop icons have also been deleted. This started when I installed Heros III. I uninstalled, and did a restore to a week before. Nothing changed. What's going on? ...

Excel XP Open Separate instance from Explorer
I'm having some trouble with Excel, I've got several spreadsheets I like to have open from Explorer during the day at the same time. The Problem is that they open in the same window and some SpreadSheets are smaller then others so the view differs and it's a real pain. I've got Tools|Options|View|Windows Task Bar Option Checked but that really doesn't do it. I've also checked from the General Tab|Ignore other applications but I can open anything and get an error if I do that something about the file not being found... I've got dual displays and would like...

is there a way to install updates via the Login or Logout Hooks?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have many mac users and as they are not admins, they can not install their own updates (nor do i want them to for version control purposes). Is there a way to install office updates using OS X's built in login or logout hooks? This would be a great way for me to do update roll outs as Users are leaving for the day. ...

Cannot install CRM Server 1.2
I am trying to install CRM Server 1.2 on a machine with Windows Enterprise Server 2003. I get the following error message: You must be a member of the Domain Admins group to install CRM Server. I am unfamiliar with the administrative issues so I could be asking some dumb questions. I have signed on as the Administrator and the Administrator is a member of the Domain Admins group. What can I do to find the problem? I have gone through the list of previous posts that have a similar issue, but have be unable to apply it to this situation. I appreciate any advice in this matter. Regards Chris...

numbers are not numbers in excel xp
I m sure this is obvious question, but I have been fighting long enough. On excel xp, after choosing a group of cells, columns, or rows then Format~Cells~category~NUMBER. then each number added to each cell, it says number in cell is formatted as text, bla bla and I need to click 2 times to convert it. Each and every number that I enter in a cell needs me to do this before I can do my math. Pre xp, it was not like this. Why and how can I really truly set a group of cells to number? Tks, paul Just formatting the cells as Numbers (or currency or General or anything else) won't ch...

Installing XP over Linux
I am trying to install Windows XP on a Dell laptop that currently has Linux Ubuntu installed. After booting up with the Windows CD in the drive, it loads various Windows files, but eventually stops on a blue screen message advising me to run CHKDSK, but won't respond after that. I suspect that Windows is seeing the Linux partitions as disk corruption, but how can I get past this? Kev wrote: > I am trying to install Windows XP on a Dell laptop that currently has > Linux Ubuntu installed. After booting up with the Windows CD in the > drive, it loads various Wi...