windows/system32/config/system file is huge

Hi,

My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. This
seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is not
enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and reallocated
1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file to
make it "normal" again?

I will state that I am after a repair install because something happened to
my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot better,
but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works slowly
at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.

Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new install?

Thanks.
-1

Jeff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. This
> seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is not
> enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and reallocated
> 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file to
> make it "normal" again?
>
> I will state that I am after a repair install because something happened to
> my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot better,
> but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works slowly
> at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.
>
> Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new install?
>
> Thanks.

What is DCPS?

Create a Restore Point then reboot the machine and immediately restore
to the point that you created earlier.  Does this improve things?

John
0
John
12/12/2009 2:19:31 PM
Jeff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb.
> This seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that
> there is not enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging
> file and reallocated
> 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this
> file to make it "normal" again?
>
> I will state that I am after a repair install because something
> happened to my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed
> working alot better, but there is still this issue, and I guess this
> is why my system works slowly at times and after awhile the DCPS take
> up alot of the cpu time.
>
> Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new
> install?
>
> Thanks.

I just looked at mine; it's about 6MB. I wonder why yours is so large.
What is the malware status of your PC?

How large is your hard drive and how much free space do you have on it?

What was wrong with your PC that necessitated a Repair Install? How is
the performance now?

What does "the DCPS" refer to?

Perhaps NTREGOPT can help you with the size of the registry:

Daave
12/12/2009 2:43:25 PM
On Dec 12, 6:26=A0am, Jeff <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. Thi=
> seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is n=
ot
> enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and reallocat=
ed
> 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file to
> make it "normal" again?
>
> I will state that I am after a repair install because something happened =
> my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot bett=
er,
> but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works sl=
owly
> at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.
>
> Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new inst=
all?

> Thanks.

What did the popup messages say exactly and do they happen every time
you reboot?  Something like:

System has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the
registry.

Do you mean DPCs, and if yes how did you determine that?  High DPCs
are fun to diagnose.

Do you have an NVIDIA video card installed?

What was the something that happened to your system that prompted a
Repair Install?

How did you clean out the paging file?  Unless you know more about
managing memory than XP, you should set your paging file to System
managed size.

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted
information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.
0
Jose
12/12/2009 3:12:07 PM
that folder you mentioned is not a
file.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. This
> seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is
> not
> enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and
> reallocated
> 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file to
> make it "normal" again?
>
> I will state that I am after a repair install because something happened
> my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot
> better,
> but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works
> slowly
> at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.
>
> Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new
> install?
>
> Thanks.

0
db
12/12/2009 3:43:58 PM
It is is described as a file in Windows Explorer! Look at the
Properties!

--

Gerry
 ~~~~

db wrote:
> that folder you mentioned is not a
> file.
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of
>> 200mb. This seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on
>> startup that there is not
>> enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and
>> reallocated
>> 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this
>> file to make it "normal" again?
>>
>> I will state that I am after a repair install because something
>> happened to
>> my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot
>> better,
>> but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system
>> works slowly
>> at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.
>>
>> Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new
>> install?
>>
>> Thanks.

0
Gerry
12/12/2009 4:26:57 PM
db wrote:
> that folder you mentioned is not a
> file.

	Yes, of course it's a file, an essential part of the registry.  (How
can you, in good conscience, recommend the use of registry cleaners,
when you clearly don't even know the very most fundamental thing about it?)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
12/12/2009 5:22:57 PM
well, I have a good conscious
and will continue to recommend
one care.

perhaps, that is what the op needs
to run to fix the bloated file.

btw: so what if I made a mistake.

it still doesn't mean you not
an ass.

--

> db wrote:
>> that folder you mentioned is not a
>> file.
>>

> Yes, of course it's a file, an essential part of the registry.  (How can
> you, in good conscience, recommend the use of registry cleaners, when you
> clearly don't even know the very most fundamental thing about it?)
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

0
db
12/12/2009 6:53:03 PM
Hi,
I will try to answer all your questions at once.
I weote DCP instead of DPC -- sort of a silly mixup, but sorry for the
confusion.

Paging: I removed the  virtual memory (made it 0) and then returned it.
This, I understood weas supposed to rebuild it, should there be problems with
it. I took 1.5*2GB as the amount and I did not use the option "let the system
choose itself". Perhaps it is better to let the system choose for itself...

I do have an NVIDIA based system. The mother board is NVIDIA based (from
gigabyte) and I have, of course, an NVIDIA screen card.

Restore points: I also stopped the restore points and then restarted this. I
heard that there were viruses that "hide" in the restore point storage and
that it is good, once and awhile to rebuilt the restore point storage.

I did the repair install because I got to the popint where I could not do
updates -- most of them failed, and I could not install antiviruses and I
could not start the computer in safe-mode. So I did the repair. Excluding
this file and some minor things, it seems that the repair was basically
successful.

I hope I answered most, if not all, your questions. I thank you for your
comments. If you have more to say, please do.

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> Hi,
> I will try to answer all your questions at once.
> I weote DCP instead of DPC -- sort of a silly mixup, but sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> Paging: I removed the  virtual memory (made it 0) and then returned
> it. This, I understood weas supposed to rebuild it, should there be
> problems with it. I took 1.5*2GB as the amount and I did not use the
> option "let the system choose itself". Perhaps it is better to let
> the system choose for itself...
>
> I do have an NVIDIA based system. The mother board is NVIDIA based
> (from gigabyte) and I have, of course, an NVIDIA screen card.
>
> Restore points: I also stopped the restore points and then restarted
> this. I heard that there were viruses that "hide" in the restore
> point storage and that it is good, once and awhile to rebuilt the
> restore point storage.
>
> I did the repair install because I got to the popint where I could
> not do updates -- most of them failed, and I could not install
> antiviruses and I could not start the computer in safe-mode. So I did
> the repair. Excluding this file and some minor things, it seems that
> the repair was basically successful.
>
> I hope I answered most, if not all, your questions. I thank you for
> your comments. If you have more to say, please do.

System-managed Size is usually best for Virtual Memory.

It sounds like you had malware at one point. There's a good chance you
still do. Since you didn't perform a Clean Install, I highly recommend
scanning *thoroughly* for malware:

Daave
12/12/2009 10:13:19 PM
Jeff wrote:

> Restore points: I also stopped the restore points and then restarted this. I
> heard that there were viruses that "hide" in the restore point storage and
> that it is good, once and awhile to rebuilt the restore point storage.

For all its worth it wouldn't change the virus status of your machine
one iota if you were to take a snapshot and then immediately after
restore that same snapshot, you won't get a new virus in a 30 second old
restore point!

The point about taking a snapshot and immediately restoring it is that
this has the same effect as saving the registry hive and then restoring
it.  Saving the hive compacts it and the bloated hive is then replaced
with the compacted hive.

200MB is a surreal size for the system hive.  Try these commands at a
command prompt and give us the results, these commands are perfectly
safe to run:

cd %systemroot%\system32\config
reg save HKLM\System system.hiv
dir system*

What are the reported sizes of the SYSTEM and system.hiv files?

John

0
John
12/12/2009 10:58:25 PM
On Dec 12, 4:18=A0pm, Jeff <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I will try to answer all your questions at once.
> I weote DCP instead of DPC -- sort of a silly mixup, but sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> Paging: I removed the =A0virtual memory (made it 0) and then returned it.
> This, I understood weas supposed to rebuild it, should there be problems =
with
> it. I took 1.5*2GB as the amount and I did not use the option "let the sy=
stem
> choose itself". Perhaps it is better to let the system choose for itself.=
>
> I do have an NVIDIA based system. The mother board is NVIDIA based (from
> gigabyte) and I have, of course, an NVIDIA screen card.
>
> Restore points: I also stopped the restore points and then restarted this=
.. I
> heard that there were viruses that "hide" in the restore point storage an=
> that it is good, once and awhile to rebuilt the restore point storage.
>
> I did the repair install because I got to the popint where I could not do
> updates -- most of them failed, and I could not install antiviruses and I
> could not start the computer in safe-mode. So I did the repair. Excluding
> this file and some minor things, it seems that the repair was basically
> successful.
>
> I hope I answered most, if not all, your questions. I thank you for your
> comments. If you have more to say, please do.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Jeff" wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. T=
his
> > seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is=
 not
> > enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and realloc=
ated
> > 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file =
> > make it "normal" again?
>
> > I will state that I am after a repair install because something happene=
d to
> > my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot be=
tter,
> > but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works =
slowly
> > at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.
>
> > Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new in=
stall?

> > Thanks.

Did you follow the directions to delete the pagefile completely?
Setting it to zero and setting it back does nothing to help you.
Follow the directions and then let XP manage it.  If the directions
are not clear, point out the unclear part.

Of course you have NVIDIA - why would I ask?

Where is the msinfo32 information?

Perform some scans for malicious software first, then fix any
remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.
0
Jose

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

Window Redirection?

CSV File Problem

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

Public Folder link to Excel File

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Renaming Partial File Names

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

Time Clock Systems
Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates well with GP? On Oct 5, 10:20 am, kcd <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates > well with GP? We just implemented Time Matrix by Business Computers (www.business- computers.com) and are very happy with it. We implemented quickly the hardware wasn't propietary or complicated so we were able to source our own stuff. Troy I can speak highly of Unitime's time and attendance system. They are a relatively low cost solution t...

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Outlook 2007 PST files and temp files
When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file accompanying it when Outlook is loaded. Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so, how can one do this...? Thanks, Tom... "TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message news:Ovq2RUgvJHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file > accompanying it when Outlook is loaded. > > Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so, how > can one do this...? You shouldn...

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

crop files
I've a file with this structure Code value 0001 dfdf 0002 ddgdfg 0001 dsdfsd 0001dfdgdsgds 0002 defert I'd like to crop this file in 2 different files ..one for 0001 and the other for 0002 with of course Code value for both and then block a cell in both. the name of the file and the name of the sheet should be given with a textbox input and they will be the same for both.. the directory will be the same of the main file. any hints?? or a guide I should follow since I'd like to learn and do everything by myself??? thanks Rossella Try Data>Filter>Advanced Filter HTH -- AP ...

Active Directory , Windows 2003 SBS to Windows 2008 SBS
Hello! I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a new Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to ''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure that nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i have a...