When will Microsft stop supporting XP .. and force us all to install Linux :))?

Hi all,
I need to know how long we can use XP?
This laptop I'm fixing, might be too old of Windows 7.

Basically I have the choice between �75.78 for Windows 7 or �35 for a
recovery disk for XP

cheers

0
123Jim

"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I need to know how long we can use XP?
> This laptop I'm fixing, might be too old of Windows 7.
>
> Basically I have the choice between �75.78 for Windows 7 or �35 for a
> recovery disk for XP

ok .. found this:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9026940/How_to_make_Windows_XP_last_for_the_next_seven_years
So XP should be good until 2014 at least

0
123Jim
6/11/2010 10:12:40 AM
"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I need to know how long we can use XP?
> This laptop I'm fixing, might be too old of Windows 7.
>
> Basically I have the choice between �75.78 for Windows 7 or �35 for a
> recovery disk for XP
>
> cheers

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

John R.

0
John
6/11/2010 11:47:50 AM
123Jim wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to know how long we can use XP?
> This laptop I'm fixing, might be too old of Windows 7.
>
> Basically I have the choice between �75.78 for Windows 7 or �35 for
> a recovery disk for XP

The answer to your direct question, as you think you mean it, is a Google
search away.

However - it's not Microsoft's support for an OS you likely have to worry
about.  It's your own ability to stay static, not want a faster computer,
better hardware, a new printer, scanner, camera, etc.  The manufacturers of
the software and hardware you use every day will likely abandon Windows XP
long before the April 2014 date when Microsoft will stop releasing even
critical patches for Windows XP.  Their new printers will only have drivers
from Windows Vista, maybe just Windows 7.  Their new scanners, cameras, etc
will be the same.  I cannot see major software companies (AutoDesk, Apple,
Adobe, etc) continuing to make products that would work on Windows XP,
Windows Vista and Windows 7 and whatever comes next by the year 2014.

Everyone always likes to find some single entity to blame for their
unwillingness to change with technology - but usually it is just the world
changing overall - not some single instance of it.

Having said all that - there are plenty of people still using Windows 98
twelve years down the line.  They cannot see some things on some web pages,
cannot use some devices they might be able to pick up at their local
drug/warehouse store even and using the latest versions of major software
packages are probably a lost cause - but they do fine in their microcosm.

So - it mainly depends on you and your ability to not change.

Given your prior question, this web page might be one that is useful for
you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP
If you look under the section titled, "Support lifecycle", it answers your
question in this conversation.

More of an 'from the horses mouth' type?

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Example (using your posting/words) - a search for:

microsoft lifecycle

..... brings up:
http://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+lifecycle

Which has several good links listed right at the beginning.

Such as:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
Explaining what you might see...

And:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectindex
Where you can see the dates/support options for products by name...

Windows XP Professional:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

Windows XP Home:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=7024

Windows XP TabletPC Edition 2005:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=7801

Hope that helps. Come back and tell me if that is what you needed!

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/11/2010 12:09:33 PM
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:09:48 +0100, "123Jim"
<jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote:

> I need to know how long we can use XP?

You can use it as long as you want. But bear the following in mind:

1. Microsoft support for XP SP3 will be until April 2014.

2. Support is already over for earlier versions.

3. The most important aspect of Microsoft support is security fixes.
That kind of support might or might not be important to you. If you
use the computer for web browsing, e-mail, etc., yes, security updates
are very important. But if all you do is use it, for example, as a
word processor, you don't really need the security updates.

> This laptop I'm fixing, might be too old of Windows 7.

If it's old, almost certainly the Windows 7 drivers you would need for
it won't be available. Also it will probably have low-powered
hardware, and be very slow with any version of Windows past XP.

The above also means that the laptop has very little value, and may
not even be worth the time and trouble of fixing it.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
6/11/2010 5:55:00 PM
it will stop in mid 2014

"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I need to know how long we can use XP?
> This laptop I'm fixing, might be too old of Windows 7.
>
> Basically I have the choice between �75.78 for Windows 7 or �35 for a
> recovery disk for XP
>
> cheers

0
gkrwebmd

Install Agent on other domain
Hi, I have a problem installing DPM 2010 RC Agents in other domain. Here is the scenario: I have Domain1 and Domain2 ,and they have trusted relationships. My DPM 2010 RC Server is installed on Domain1. When I try to install the agent to a computer with Windows 7 in the other domain it fails and show me this message: Unable to connect to the Active Directory Domain Services database. Make sure that the DPM server is a member of a domain and that a domain controller is running. Also verify that there is network connectivity between the DPM server and the domain control...

sage line 50 on xp problem
Hi, I have Sage Line 50 installed on my XP Pro computer but I can't open it with the Manager - Manager username/password combination. I just get that the password is incorrect. I have tried all other passwords that I can think of and also of course no password at all. I have uninstalled the program, deleted every folder relating to Sage and also deleted all the entries in the registry that I can find. I then reinstall the program but still the same problem. Apart from reinstalling XP is there anything else someone can suggest. I am installing as administrator, there are no o...

Office 97 & Win2k/XP
Dear All I have posted this question before but does anyone know of a workaround to access VBA running the above combination on a PC? Alt+F11 doesn't work and of course trying to load any Excel sheet with Macros returns a NO PERMISSION dialogue. I'm not going to moan about our IT Manager because he is extremely busy with other IT Projects and he states that he has been trained in hardware and programming not software. He won't upgrade the installation on the PC because he claims that no one will use the features in the newer version of Excel (which is stopping my program running...

Problems installing- bootstrapper?
I have money 2005 on my desktop machine. I want to put my copy of Money 2004 on my laptop. Problem is I keep getting the error " Microsoft Money setup Bootstrapper has encountered a problem and needs to close" I have searched for what a bootstrapper does or is without much luck. A google search always refers to the .Net Framework. I have that installed on my machine. any help? thanks ...

Background color on a tab page with XP theme
I have a dialog with a tab control on it. Tab pages are created from dialog resources. When the tab control displays, the tabs are "white" and the background of the tab pages is the COLOR_BTNFACE color. When I call EnableThemeDialogTexture for the dialog page object, now the background of the dialog appears to be "white" while the tab page has a white gradient getting darker toward the bottom. This leaves an outline around where my dialog resource is being displayed. How do I get the gradient to come out right? Do I need to call DrawThemeBackground on the page?...

When I add a row to excel how can I stop formulae changing
I've done this before, but can't remember how. I want to add a row at the top of a sheet, but without formulae with a range eg =sum(a1:a5) changing to =sum(a2:a6). $ isn't the answer =SUM(INDIRECT("A1:A5")) HTH Kostis Vezerides "vezerid" wrote: > =SUM(INDIRECT("A1:A5")) > > HTH > Kostis Vezerides > Thanks for that. How about if I after inserting a row A1:A5 changes to A1:A6 TIA Dave ...

why my breakpoint can't stop in the windbg
I am not a green hand, just like my last PCI dirver being debuged by it under dual PC , linked by serial port. I think I have check anywhere, but the dirver can't stop on the break point while XP is booting , if I press "break" quickly, then the breakpoints can work, but XP must be paused manully first . I modified the start type in the register, I tried boot ,system , auto, demand , but it can not work what's the hell . a) is the driver loaded? Try "lm", is it there? then try "u" to the = driver's addresses, will the asse...

Error in exporting to Excel from BP/Office Web Comps are Installed
Hello: In Business Portal 4.0 on a Vista Business machine with Office 2007, I get an error when trying to export a query to Excel. The message says, literally, that the file that it is trying to create cannot be found on the user's desktop. I'd like to say to it, "Hey, no kidding.....that's because I need you to create the file first!". I have already installed the Office Web Components on the machine. I had gotten an error, originally, about Office Web Components. But, once I installed, that error went away. Any ideas on this new error? childofthe1980s ...

How do I stop a recurring appointment that doesn't appear?
Every ten minutes the same appointment (s) are deleted from my calendar and shows up in my deleted box - however this appointment doesn't even show up in my calendar so I can't end the recurrance or delete it! Weird! "Christineme" <Christineme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C4A7B4B-65C7-4518-B031-19ACA56F8486@microsoft.com... > Every ten minutes the same appointment (s) are deleted from my calendar and > shows up in my deleted box - however this appointment doesn't even show up > in > my calendar so I can't end the ...

Outlook Custom Form Installation Error
Here is my problem: We just upgraded Microsoft Office 2003 to Service Pack 3, and now a custom form is broken. The users that used this form used to double click the .oft file on their desktop to launch it. Now when they double-click it, they get a message saying "The custom form could not be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead." When I attempt to install the form to Outlook using the Tools --> Options --> Other --> Advanced Options --> Custom Forms --> Manage Forms --> Install option, I get this error message: ---------------------- The form could not...

Vista to XP
Simple question - My laptop (XP) has a faulty disk reader. If I ran a USB to another laptop (Vista) would they be able to see each other in My Computer and would I then be able to load a disk of software on the Vista machine and get it to write onto my XP machine? Thanks It would be simpler using ethernet And yes if the two are networked you can install software using the Vista cd "Pete L" <peterlavington@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8905201a-2c71-458d-a769-8dfef0e95ea9@k41g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > Simple question - My laptop (XP) has a faulty disk ...

Need a simple macro that will import any one of a number of text files in a folder
I'm having problems coming up with a macro that will allow me to import a text file of choice from my default file location that I have set up with Excel which contains several text files. I want the macro to open a "Open" file dialog window where I can then choose the text file of choice. I also need it to open the file as delimited, starting at row 23 and with the tab selected as the only delimiter. Please help... thanks, steve Steve I have been using the following for several years to obtain a spreadsheet from a .csv file downloaded from a bank. You will need to add the...

Adding SMTP Server after Exchange installation
I wanted to have multiple SMTP services running. After installing Exchange 2003 I change the port on the SMTP service inside Exchange system manager to port 2025. Then I added a new SMTP service using Internet Information Services, and configured that for port 25. My problem is that as soon as I clicked 'ok' after added the second smtp service, I can no longer get in to configure it. The service does not appear in the Internet Information Services list or the Exchange list. I can verify it is running by connecting to port2025 the exchange smtp responds, and port25 the smt...

Dual Monitor Support
Is it just me, or does Office not work well on a Dual Monitor setup? I've tried both Excel and Entourage and no luck. I generally have a RemoteDesktop window to my PC open on my second monitor so that I could use Outlook -- but with the new version of Entourage, I've had no need...other than I can't do the second window without continual crashes anytime I do a resize. Excel? I can slide things to the second window, but I can't pull it higher than it would be on the first. Great apps though! FAR FAR FAR better than the last ones and other than the dual monitor problem, I'...

Install this important patch from the Microsoft
--mgnpbdxeol Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="qknrhsydnjcndx"; type="multipart/alternative" --qknrhsydnjcndx Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="zesqiqypayzhn" --zesqiqypayzhn Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the security ...

Could not install the custom action
I'm running O2K7-TR and just recently started getting this error whenever I go to work with a message. I get the error whether I'm composing new, replying or forwarding. I'm trying to figure out where to look to troubleshoot this. All the searches I've done on custom actions have to either pertain to message rules or forms. Obviously, something is no longer where it was but the question is where and what is trying to access it. I'm thinking that because it's happening on any kind of composition that it is relating to the default template but i can't mak...

Outlook 2007 and typing lags after installing FrontPage 2002
I recently installed my old FrontPage 2002 again. I also have Outlook 2007 and XP Pro. Office 2007 had to be reactivated/reinstalled-something. It did not ask for my CD, but it sure was working hard. I did not lose any settings. Many of my hotfixes, and German language pack disappeared after installing FP 2002. I got all that stuff back. Also, after installing FP 2002, it seems my IE had been hijacked. I kept getting directed to bulk advertisement webpages. I finally got all that cleared up by using some software programs listed on majorgeeks.com Everything was running f...

Buttons have stopped working?
Hi all, I have been in and out of my database throughout today, and i just went in to update it and all the buttons have stopped working! I get the following message whenever i click one of the buttons on any of the formss: "The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost. - The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. - There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro." The only...

Outlook 2003 install problem
I've been using Outlook 2003 for a while on Win 2000 with no problems. I swithed to Win XP and installed installed Outlook, and then copied the folders containing my .pst files to their proper locations in my user files. Everything worked fine except that I now have two of every folder (Two inboxes, outboxes, drafts, etc.). I tried deleting the .pst file, and reinstalling outlook, but when I do that, I get an error message that says the .pst files can't be located, and the program terminates. How do I do a fresh install from scratch, so that no former settings are loaded from a previo...

Workflow and GP10 Install
Hi, I have a Windows 2003 Server that has (according to me) all the pre-requisites installed needed for Dynamics GP 10 Workflow including Windows 2003 Server, IIS, Sharepoint, Web Services e.t.c. The problem I am having is after completing the install screens e.g. specifying web services URL and security admin service URL e.t.c. When I click on Install, it comes up with an error that 'Workflow needs to be installed on a Windows 2003 Server' - which is ludicrous as we are on one. Any ideas please. Thanks Neil Neil, Workflow will only install on the following versions of Windo...

How do I stop 'Reply All' adding my address?
When I 'reply all' to an email, my address is added to the recipient list. I don't want to be included so how do I stop Outlook doing this? (My version is 2003) ...

SUMIF start/stop
Hi, I need sumif type formula that can find start/stop points. In col V7:V - category, col AT7:AT - hours (time). In col AU7:AU I would like to calculate the cumulative time spent on each category ONLY for categories which are adjacent to each other on the list, (as in if the categories go 1 1 2 1 et only adds the first two 1's NOT all three). In the case of where categories are cumulated I need to display the total in the first cell in the list and the rest empty. If there is only one category it displays simply that time. Do you know of which formula I could use t...

Database rebuild
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I am using Entourage X on a iMac (10.6). I have been unable to rebuild the database - it freezes on start to rebuild. I did copy the database to another Mac running Entourage X (10.4.11) and was able to rebuild it. <br><br>I duplicated the database on the iMac for backup, then copied the rebuilt database (and other other files) from the other Mac to the iMac. It would not boot and suggested a rebuild. I tried to rebuild, on the iMac and it froze. I forced quit and restarted Ento...

Chart bug? Excel XP
I've been running into a situation that continues to crash my Excel. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I often create text boxes that link to a cell in the worksheet to pull in a special message or label into the chart. I do this by clicking on the formula bar, typing "=" and then using the mouse to navigate to the cell. (Typing the cell reference doesn't seem to work.) I have found that if the cell I am referring to is a one-cell, named range, Excel crashes. In this case, I'm better off navigating to a near-by, unnamed cell and then editing the ...

Fail to install .Net 1.1 SP1
Dear All, My laptop is a Toshiba Tecra w/ Pentium M at GHz with 1GB RAM Hard drive 60GB - Free 30GB I have Windows XP Professional SP2 Antivirus/antispyware, etc: Norton 360 Suite I run automatic update daily. Today I got the following update: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1. I have run it 20 times at least. The session initializes normally but it always fails to complete. I only get this mssg: "Some updates could not be installed" + "The following updates were not installed: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1." The yellow shield in my tray k...