Search Companion missing file

I'm helping a friend whose laptop was infected with a virus/trojan. We
disinfected using MalwareBytes anti-malware app. She now has a functioning pc
again...but...

When I try to use the search feature in Windows XP, I get an error message
that reads "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found.
You may need to run Setup."

I tried to reinstall via the srchasst.inf file in the Windows\inf folder
(right-click - install) but it said 'The file "msgr3en.dll" on the Windows XP
Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD is needed.

The problem is that I can't reinstall it because Windows XP came
preinstalled on her laptop, and she was not given a CD. I tried to download
a version off the internet, but when I point to that file when installing via
the srchasst.inf file, I get a an error window that says Installation failed.

The system is running XP home edition with sp3.

Can anyone suggest another avenue to get the search companion running again?

tia,
Mitch

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:09:01 -0800, mitch8
<mitch8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm helping a friend whose laptop was infected with a virus/trojan. We
>disinfected using MalwareBytes anti-malware app. She now has a functioning pc
>again...but...
>
>When I try to use the search feature in Windows XP, I get an error message
>that reads "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found.
>You may need to run Setup."
>
>I tried to reinstall via the srchasst.inf file in the Windows\inf folder
>(right-click - install) but it said 'The file "msgr3en.dll" on the Windows XP
>Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD is needed.
>
>The problem is that I can't reinstall it because Windows XP came
>preinstalled on her laptop, and she was not given a CD. I tried to download
>a version off the internet, but when I point to that file when installing via
>the srchasst.inf file, I get a an error window that says Installation failed.
>
>The system is running XP home edition with sp3.
>
>Can anyone suggest another avenue to get the search companion running again?
>
>tia,
>Mitch

Better search program ( free ) http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
0
Jim

How to transfer Outlook files to new user installation or file server?
I have created a new Windows XP account and I want to transfer the the Outlook email files from the old logins to the new login. I have copied the Outlook pst files from the old accounts folder to the new accounts folder, but when I open Outlook the mail contents are there but it seems that Outlook does not remember the old email account details. Is there a way to transfer the email accounts details as well? The previous email accounts are still there with the original mailboxes in the old logins, only the email account details not coming over. It appears that they are not stored with the...

Select multiple files error.
I want to select multi files using CFileDialog: CFileDialog FileDlg (TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT ); TCHAR strBuffer[4096]; FileDlg.m_ofn.lpstrFile = strBuffer; FileDlg.m_ofn.nMaxFile =sizeof(strBuffer); if (FileDlg.DoModal()==IDOK) { CString csFname; CStringArray m_strArray; m_strArray.SetSize(0); POSITION pos = FileDlg.GetStartPosition(); while (pos != NULL) { csFname = FileDlg.GetNextPathName(pos); TRACE("%s\n", csFname); m_strArray.Add(csFname); m_CListBox_ListBox.AddString(csFname.GetBuffer()); } } The error is that FileDlg.DoModal()...

Linking a .hlp file to my MFC Application
I have created a help system (.hlp file) for my mfc application using RoboHelp. I would like to call this help system from my application when I click on a button for example. I have tried to open the help system using: WinExec("MyApp.hlp",SW_SHOW"); but this does not do anything. Any idea ? TIA -- Fabrice >I have created a help system (.hlp file) for my mfc application using >RoboHelp. I would like to call this help system from my application when I >click on a button for example. I have tried to open the help system using: >WinExec("MyApp.hlp",SW_...

Searching for Tools to Assist in Administrative Keyword Searches
Hello, I have been looking for a way to do an administrative search of all email in every mailbox in our Exchange 2003 Server. I have done some searching and have not been able to get a definite answer as to the best/easiest way to do a comprehensive Keyword search of every mailbox for all messages on the server. The Keyword could be in the Subject or Body of the email. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. there is no native way to do this, really...there are some third party tools that allow for this type of thing...Quest's Recovery Manager for Exchange allows you to do...

Viewing earlier files on Publisher 2000
I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous version but the message comes saying the files cannot be opened. If there is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help. Thanks, Some time ago Microsoft created a security update that made it impossible to open very early versions of Publisher files. I can open Publisher 95 files with 2000. What version Publisher did you use to create the files? Are you getting an error message? Description of the security update for Publisher 2003: September 12, 2006 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894542/en-us -- Ma...

file does not open
Whenever I select an excel spreadsheet from a folder or disk, excel launches but the file never opens. I have done detect and repair, reinstalled and this still continues to happen. How do I fix it? Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel 1. Close Excel first and 2. On the Windows Taskbar 2.1 Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2.2 Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. -- Regards Fra...

Excel file locked by user/process problem
Hi all, I need help! We have a shared Excel file on the network. The las person who worked on it on Saturday says he closed the file properl and everything was fine. However, today, Excel keeps saying that he' in it. I've asked him to reboot his computer. I've searched fo temporary files in the folder where the file resides. Still couldn' find anything. I tried deleting it with DOS and it still doesn't le me because it says "The file is in use." I don't care who's using i now. I just want to terminate the process and delete the file. I was going t...

File grows
Good morning. I have a spreadsheet which I use for today, then "Save As" for tomorrow, clear out all of the data that is not relevant, change the file name, and start over tomorrow. However, every time I do this, the file grows by 3 or 4 KB. After a couple of weeks, the file starts running slow, and I have to start over. The file should stay about the same size, but it doesn't. Any suggestions on what to check to see why this is happening? Thanks for any help. -- Howard Even though you are clearing unneeded data out of cells, Excel may still be retainin...

Shared .pst file for calendar sharing
Is there a way to share out a .pst file in Outlook XP? Our environment uses .pst files saved locally to store email. There is a salesman in our company that uses a PDA to synchronize changes made to his calendar on PDA to his laptop calendar in Outlook XP. The changes are saved to his .pst file. I need to give another user access to this calendar to be able to view and edit his schedule. Is this a possibility? You cannot share a PST file for multiple users at once. See here for some alternative options: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook M...

Get attribute from Xml file
I'm looking to get noNamespaceSchemaLocation attribute from the following Xml file. Whats the most efficient way to do this using the XmlDocument class in c#? <?xml version="1.0"?> <IPDRDoc xmlns="http://www.ipdr.org/namespaces/ipdr" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="email.xsd" docId="d0af6d45-00f8-5000-f930-01760a250156" creationTime="2003-11-12T16:04:07.046Z" IPDRRecorderInfo="IPDRDocTest" version="3.1"> <IPDR xsi:type="IPDR-EMAIL-Type&q...

Rename Exchange Database file
Could anybody show me the safe way to rename exchange database file: priv1.edb to priv2.edb ? Thank you. I want to rename it because I was reading an article that says that I can have problem restoring exchange if the two databases .edb and .stm have the same name, backed up and restored at the same time. Thank you I would not bother about renaming them, and I cannot understand why you would have problems. -- Mark Fugatt "Thuan Pham" <thuanp@advancedcableties.com> wrote in message news:17a501c48c68$ed6f5380$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Could anybody show me the safe way t...

Chart data from text file
I have my x- and y- values as tab-separated values in a text file. There are many different files, so it is too cubersome to open them all convert them all to Excel. Is there any way I can create a chart that reads its data from a text file? On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, hmm <hmm@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have my x- and y- values as tab-separated values in a text file. There are >many different files, so it is too cubersome to open them all convert them >all to Excel. > >Is there any way I can create a chart that reads its data fr...

DHCP Search timeout / Multi-homing
I have a laptop that I use at several locations. Most of the locations use a DHCP, but a few require fixed IPs. I have the NIC set for DHCP with the alternate settings set to the fixed IP info. This works fin except it takes the computer 60 seconds or so before the search for DHCP times out and it defaults to the fixed settings. Is there a way to reduce the DHCP search timeout so it will default to the fixed settings faster? If not, I have been looking into multi-homing the NIC. I tried setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSetServices\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\(...

Search folder consists of Inbox and Folder with Rule based content. How to go to 1st unread?
I have a search folder which contains Inbox + another folder(which itself has email into it based on a rule running in the Inbox). I need to be able to group by conversation and then quickly goto the first unread email using a keyboard shortcut. I also then need to be able to goto the first unread of the next conversation using hopefully, the same keyboard shortcut. I cannot find anywhere how to accomplish this. I don't just want the unreads in the search folder, I want the complete conversations, in case I read something earlier, need to go back to, but the message has forked and still...

Overwriting the AVI file header
Hi I need to overwrite the AVI File header since it is corrupted file so how can i do this with MFC Thanks in Advance You could open the file using CFile and write to it like you would any other file. So far as I know there is nothing specific in MFC to handle AVI file creation. I found this article that might help you: http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/Copy_a_period_of_AVI_chun.asp Tom <meettopravin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150366506.134444.80180@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I need to overwrite the AVI File header since it is corrupted file > s...

printing to file
I am attempting to convert only a portion of our Excel 2000 document to Adobe PDF format for secure viewing by outside parties. This however seems challenging to do when this component of the document is a hidden worksheet (due to shared use among many users) and is generated as a printable form through visual basic. Since I am able to view this printable form in "print preview" mode, can the "print preview - print to file" option be used to create a file type compatible for Adobe conversion? Or does the "print to file" function not allow that flexibi...

Compress Excel file after export
I have a database where the user clicks a button and it exports the 8 tables to an excel file. I've noticed that after the file is exported, the excel file is bloated, but if i open the excel file and resave it, the file size reduce by about half. Is there some VB code I could use to programmatically compress the excel file after export? Another solution would be for me to export the tables to a csv file, but after the export, I want the users to email the file to me and I don't want them to have to attach 8 csv files to an email. But if there was a way to zip the 8 files together ...

Sizes for OST files different for same mailbox?
I have someone asking me about OST files, and I have been able to answer = most questions. However, it appears the OST file on the laptop is about = a third the size of the OST file on his desktop computer even though = there doesn't appear to be any data missing. Does this discrepency in size indicate some problem or is there a basic = explanation? carl Was the ost on the laptop created after the desktop? As items are deleted from the mailbox, the mailbox may shrink by not necessarily the ost. On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:32:17 -0800, "Vagabond Software" <carlfenley-X-@-X-san....

CreateFileMapping()
CreateFileMapping() - still succeeded without a system Page File? I configured my computer so that no harddisk drive has a page file. The strange thing is: when I call CreateFileMapping() to create an MMF object backed by the system paging file, the API still succeeds. My codes: HANDLE hFileMap = CreateFileMapping(INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE, NULL, PAGE_READWRITE, 0, 64 * 1024, _T("MySharedData")); How can this happen? Thanks. ...

can't open mny2005 file in MSmoney2008
I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem. I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc. I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US version. We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup the mny files. We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to convert them to the MNY2005 version). As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to QUICKEN. Knowing there is a built-i...

How to best approach deleting records with both duplicate a address and a duplicate name in a large flat file
Hello, I have a medium sized file (approx 30,000 records) that has many names and addresses that have been entered twice. I need to find an efficient way to delete all records that have both a duplicate name and a duplicate address. Records with a duplicate name but not a duplicate address should stay and vice versa. Is there a best way to approach this? Should this typically be handled with a query. Does the Find duplicates query handle this problem well? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide. I am sure this is a common problem, but i have not had to do it before and my first few attem...

How to convert make file to DOS batch file ?
Hi, HOw do I convert make file exported from MSVC 6.0 for MFC Active X project to equivalent DOS bacth file running on Win 2000 Help Are there any tools available. sandSpiderX Hello I'm not sure I understood what you did, however, try the following: In the batch file, do the following: 1. Call vcvars32.bat to set the env. path 2. Run nmake (which will read the make file and compile your project) HTH Elias "sandSpider" <m74.piscean@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120713452.154363.5200@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > HOw do I convert make fil...

IS PST files Auto compact
I wonder is the PST file auto compact by itself on all vesrion of outlook, or I have to compact it manually to reduce it size. when mail is deleted and empty from recycle bin, does the pst file size reduce by itself atually before compacting. antonia_jasper@yahoo.com <antonia_jasper@yahoo.com> wrote: > I wonder is the PST file auto compact by itself on all vesrion of > outlook, or I have to compact it manually to reduce it size. > > when mail is deleted and empty from recycle bin, does the pst file > size reduce by itself atually before compacting. According to Micr...

archive file
I'm using MS outlook 2000. I want to check old mails but I can't import the archive file. The file is over 2G. Is the size too large? The inbox repair tool does not work. Can anyone help me? You dont Import, In OL>File>Open>PST Anyway its over 2gb which has exccedded OL2k size limitation. Problems can occur when larger than 1.6gb http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088 OL2003, in new pst format doesnt have the size limitation. If you continue to use OL2k you should create new pst's & Archive pst's from time to time, or when approaching 1.6gb. You can open mul...

Excel file crashes when opened for certain users only
Got a shared xl file sitting on a share on the network. Two teams have the exact same access to this share. One team can open the shared xl file without error. With the other group, trying to open this file crashes Excel. Both teams use the same pc build and have the exact same access to the same share. Affected users can open other xl files from same share, just this one xl file that won't load for them, but will for others. This is driving me nuts Any advice? RoJoBo Clean temp files, temp internet files on the pc that crashes "RoJoBo" <anonymous@discussions.mi...